ADVERTISEMENT

Collins rumors

In response to Kelly Anne Conway or FS, NU has established a scholarship for Collins and I am sure that means a big salary increase coming Collins way this offseason. I don't know if you aware of this, but AD Jim Phillips is at the top of his profession and is well aware of what a tournament appearance means for Collins' salary. I am sure his buddy, Fitz will tell CC of the story of Barnett who was the most sought after coach in college football in 1995-1997 (pursued by ND, Texas, UCLA, etc.). He was out of a job in 5 years after he left NU and never coached again after Colorado fired him after enduring scandal after scandal.

As for Creaner, IU is not a dominant team that is why they are headed to the NiT. Creaner should thank his lucky stars that DePaul did not want Dwayne Wade and he fell in his lap at Marquette.

Stir the pot elsewhere. You have no clue. Everyone has NU in the tourney. You don't. You don't understand how gets selected in the tourney or what is happening on the basketball court in Evanston. This is the first step and next year, NU will be better with 5 new and talented players (Falzon, Ivaunauskas, Gaines and hopefully Smith and a big guy who is a grad transfer). So spin your alternative facts elsewhere. Or try out for the Spicer position when he gets canned in a month.

You do remember posting affirmatively that there will be no transfers, right? Hi walk ;)

No, I remember Haas is a better player and will be a better NBA player than Swanigan. LOL!!!!!!

I remember the confusion that the lack of a backup PG will prevent NU from succeeding this season. LOL!!!!!!!!

I do remember endless confusion about the 13th scholarship and why that would prevent NU from accomplishing anything this season. Ooooooops! LOL!

I do remember when dire predictions were made about the recruiting class that I was preaching patience and then they recruited a quality 6'4" SG Gaines. And then I said to be patient and NU might have a shot at a late developing player. Could be top 100 recruit Mark Smith. As for the 13th spot, NU might get some depth and sign a graduate transfer but only after some recruit think there is more career possibilities in Knoxville, TN than in Evanston or in Chicago. The whims of a 18 year old picking a college.

Last quote I heard was "I miss that man... the things he could do to my body would just set me on fire."

Or something like that. I could have misheard.

It was more like: "You call that 8 inches?? Then I must be 10 feet tall! Get your snuff, your farts, and your fly maggots the hell out of here!"

I do remember when dire predictions were made about the recruiting class that I was preaching patience and then they recruited a quality 6'4" SG Gaines. And then I said to be patient and NU might have a shot at a late developing player. Could be top 100 recruit Mark Smith. As for the 13th spot, NU might get some depth and sign a graduate transfer but only after some recruit think there is more career possibilities in Knoxville, TN than in Evanston or in Chicago. The whims of a 18 year old picking a college.

I will pick this one. 3 open schollies. Signing day has come and gone. The same one recruit onboard. To wit, I suggested transfers, either 5th year or otherwise might be the play. Rather not see them unused next year.

You said, CCC never takes transfers, won't happen, plenty of quality recruits to choose from be patient...and we have all been patient. Let me go find that quote of yours ;)

@Va - I stayed up late to watch the game on tape. Miraculous finish finally in our favor. Kinda like the IU game in Bloomington that I attended, only with a better result. Which of the games that you attended this year did you enjoy the most? I will hang up and listen.

No, I remember Haas is a better player and will be a better NBA player than Swanigan. LOL!!!!!!

Funny, this has a whole thread. Where I have admitted my belief doesn't look good. But it is early young one, and things change. Notice there is not a long line of people ready to take a strong position here. Haas does not look like the better player. Not to worry, I like revisiting things down the road, this will be another.

It was more like: "You call that 8 inches?? Then I must be 10 feet tall! Get your snuff, your farts, and your fly maggots the hell out of here!"
Couldn't be true. Women get seriously turned on by fly maggots. That was Don Juan's secret. He always kept a pocketful.

Here's a question for you, Felis. Would YOU want him to take the Indiana job?
Don't bother, Virginia. Every time he gets cornered with a question calling him out - a question he can't answer - he simply ignores it, hoping nobody notices.

Don't bother, Virginia. Every time he gets cornered with a question calling him out - a question he can't answer - he simply ignores it, hoping nobody notices.

He's busy dredging up posts from November, he'll get to the March posts in about 5 months.....;)

You do realize that I'm not felis, yes?

Same thread, completely different discussion that than the one between you and WalkerFan. In fact, I could argue that you and Walker are derailing yet another perfectly good thread where we are all making fun of Feli yet again. But since the Walker discussion with you is popcorn-worthy, I'll allow it.

Reactions: IGNORE2
In another thread a poster who may be a Purdue fan mentions that "sources" tell him coach Collins will soon replace Tom Crean at Indiana (yes, that's the same Crean who won the B1G LAST season and reached the NCAA S16!).
Out of curiosity did a web search about this "rumor". Did find an article (<<== click ) about the "upcoming" Indiana coaching vacancy that mentions CC, but not as a candidate. The article was actually about another potential candidate, UVA's Tony Bennett.
However, CC may be a candidate at Mizzou according to this KC Star article (<<== click ). More bizarrely, he may also be headed to LSU (of all places), according to this article (<<== click ).
Both Mizzou and LSU would consider Crean (if he indeed leaves), so CC may either replace him aet Indiana, or possibly compete against him elsewhere.
Just thought you wanted to know all this!
Wait just a minute .... are you inferring that he is no longer a candidate for Savannah State? If so, did he take his name out of the running or was he told “thanks, but we're looking for someone with more experience and a better career winning percentage?” Regardless, your heads-up comes at a very bad time. Now I’ll have to be rooting for Rutgers to hammer the Cats so that CC is no longer such an attractive candidate for Mizzou, et.al.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
A while back I started this thread. The chief motivator was a post by a PU fan who alleged that "sources" told him IU would fire Crean and NU's CC would replace him. Well, it seems that the "sources" were at least 50% right!!
Indy did fire Crean, and hasn't yet hired anyone, so potentially the "sources" could still be proven 100% right.
Here are some recent article addressing this possibility:
1) Chris Collins saved Northwestern. Would he leave for the Hoosiers?

2) CHRIS COLLINS, Northwestern head coach: He just did what no Northwestern coach had done before -- get the Wildcats into the NCAA tourney. It became even more special when their won their opener. Would he be willing to leave for a fellow Big Ten program, although one far more nationally prominent? Perhaps.

3) Up-and-comers. This group separates itself between Mack and Miller (and maybe Alford) — who have extended resumes at strong mid- or high-major jobs — and more recently established names like Chris Collins, Chris Holtmann and Will Wade of VCU.

The single biggest reason for CCC possibly make the move *IF* (humongous IF) he was offered the Indy job would be the simplest and oldest of all: Money. CC is supposedly making about $1.5 MM. Crean was making about twice as much.
Sobering thought: Illy of all places offered a relatively untested Underwood $18MM over 6 years. If Illy could offer that much to untested Underwood, Indy could justify offering a little more to CC. And that would be a huge pay increase.

NU might potentially try to match the offer, but realistically it may not be able to. And at the end of the day NU will not win a bidding war for CC's services for ever. The better he does, the higher the bids. An arm race of sort.

A while back I started this thread. The chief motivator was a post by a PU fan who alleged that "sources" told him IU would fire Crean and NU's CC would replace him. Well, it seems that the "sources" were at least 50% right!!
Indy did fire Crean, and hasn't yet hired anyone, so potentially the "sources" could still be proven 100% right.

2) CHRIS COLLINS, Northwestern head coach: He just did what no Northwestern coach had done before -- get the Wildcats into the NCAA tourney. It became even more special when their won their opener. Would he be willing to leave for a fellow Big Ten program, although one far more nationally prominent? Perhaps.

3) Up-and-comers. This group separates itself between Mack and Miller (and maybe Alford) — who have extended resumes at strong mid- or high-major jobs — and more recently established names like Chris Collins, Chris Holtmann and Will Wade of VCU.

The single biggest reason for CCC possibly make the move *IF* (humongous IF) he was offered the Indy job would be the simplest and oldest of all: Money. CC is supposedly making about $1.5 MM. Crean was making about twice as much.
Sobering thought: Illy of all places offered a relatively untested Underwood $18MM over 6 years. If Illy could offer that much to untested Underwood, Indy could justify offering a little more to CC. And that would be a huge pay increase.

NU might potentially try to match the offer, but realistically it may not be able to. And at the end of the day NU will not win a bidding war for CC's services for ever. The better he does, the higher the bids. An arm race of sort.
:mad:

NU might potentially try to match the offer, but realistically it may not be able to. And at the end of the day NU will not win a bidding war for CC's services for ever. The better he does, the higher the bids. An arm race of sort
If needed NU can and will match any current offers. Why not.

I'm extremely confident that NU could find the money if/when it became a question of losing Collins or paying up. The bigger question is whether Collins would put NU in that position by even entertaining the other offers.

The major sources I have seen and heard (SI, CBS, and ESPN) all list the same 6 candidates and do not even mention Collins. Predicting that Crean would be fired did not need inside information.

I'm extremely confident that NU could find the money if/when it became a question of losing Collins or paying up. The bigger question is whether Collins would put NU in that position by even entertaining the other offers.
If you mean NU could use endowment money, or money from the general budget, to pay the coach (beyond what the AD actually produces, considering the non-revenue sports), yes, it is possible. However, I very much doubt NU (or any university for that matter) would want to do that.

Typically they want the AD departments to be, as a minimum, self-sufficient (considering scholarship money, coaches salaries, admins, etc). Preferably they would rather have a surplus. So, since revenue produced by the AD department (mostly FB and BkB money) is limited, that puts a limit on the amount of money they can spend on coaches (without causing an AD deficit). Other schools can pay more b/c their revenue sports produce more. Duke pays Coach K over $7MM/year but that program also produces a lot of revenue. NU's not so much.

Go listen to Collins' interview on Waddle and Silvy yesterday, or listen to him today (he'll be on again). He has me fully convinced he wants to be at NU. Relax! We've got a good thing going here.

There's a thread below with a link to the interview. Trust the man! He's no Underwood who tells his kids he'd be "in the ground before leaving" then leaves a week later for UoI. Such class!

If you mean NU could use endowment money, or money from the general budget, to pay the coach (beyond what the AD actually produces, considering the non-revenue sports), yes, it is possible. However, I very much doubt NU (or any university for that matter) would want to do that.

Typically they want the AD departments to be, as a minimum, self-sufficient (considering scholarship money, coaches salaries, admins, etc). Preferably they would rather have a surplus. So, since revenue produced by the AD department (mostly FB and BkB money) is limited, that puts a limit on the amount of money they can spend on coaches (without causing an AD deficit). Other schools can pay more b/c their revenue sports produce more. Duke pays Coach K over $7MM/year but that program also produces a lot of revenue. NU's not so much.

BTN money is increasing and can go a long way.

But the emergency plan probably goes something like this: "Hey, Mr. Ryan... Collins is going to walk unless we cough up another couple million over the next five years... any chance you can spot us a couple?"

Reactions: SmellyCat
My dog predicted Crean would be fired.....
Your dog knows a lot, considering that Crean won the B1G EXACTLY ONE YEAR ago, when he also advanced to the NCAA's S16. And didn't exactly do out-of-this-worldly bad this season, finishing about #50 (per computer rankings), and making the NIT thanks to a 18-16 (7-11) w/l record. Smart dog!!!!

Your dog knows a lot, considering that Crean won the B1G EXACTLY ONE YEAR ago, when he also advanced to the NCAA's S16. And didn't exactly do out-of-this-worldly bad this season, finishing about #50 (per computer rankings), and making the NIT thanks to a 18-16 (7-11) w/l record. Smart dog!!!!

Dogs are smarter than cats.

BTN money is increasing and can go a long way.

But the emergency plan probably goes something like this: "Hey, Mr. Ryan... Collins is going to walk unless we cough up another couple million over the next five years... any chance you can spot us a couple?"
If money comes from the outside it's a different story. However, much money had already come or is promised for other uses (such as facility upgrades). There is so much money people will give to the same school over certain time.

I know that the BkB program itself had turned up a significan surplus in recent years (middle-of-the-packish in the B1G), but again that surplus is then used (with FB money) to take care of non-revenue sports. The AD budget has to be balanced at the end of the day.

The worse thing is that it may be futile in the end, because as long as the program keeps improving, ever bigger/richer programs may become interested and "submit ever higher bids", and NU may ultimately have to give up. There is so much it can do. Sometimes, a person is just too big for a job (not sure CC is already in that status, but would be nice if he reaches it, since it would mean he has done extremely well).

Fitzphile's dog knows that IU is about consistency. You can point to the occasional B1G championship over and over again, but it's meaningless if you're only over .500 in the B1G 3 out of 9 years.

If money comes from the outside it's a different story. However, much money had already come or is promised for other uses (such as facility upgrades). There is so much money people will give to the same school over certain time.

I know that the BkB program itself had turned up a significan surplus in recent years (middle-of-the-packish in the B1G), but again that surplus is then used (with FB money) to take care of non-revenue sports. The AD budget has to be balanced at the end of the day.

The worse thing is that it may be futile in the end, because as long as the program keeps improving, ever bigger/richer programs may become interested and "submit ever higher bids", and NU may ultimately have to give up. There is so much it can do. Sometimes, a person is just too big for a job (not sure CC is already in that status, but would be nice if he reaches it, since it would mean he has done extremely well).

In order:

1) Understand, but with excitement at an all-time high around the program I'm pretty sure the group of deepest-pocketed alums could come up with a little something... especially when losing Collins would undo a lot of the momentum on facilities, etc.

2) No, the AD budget only has to be balanced insofar as it fits into the University's overall budget. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be on a standalone basis. And, given the support of athletics from President Shapiro, I have a feeling that he could move a couple things around in a doomsday scenario.

3) While I'm playing "armchair psychologist" a bit here (which I absolutely LOATHE), I don't think Collins is planning to leave anytime soon and, if he were to entertain an offer outside NU, the only one he would likely entertain is Duke.

2) No, the AD budget only has to be balanced insofar as it fits into the University's overall budget. It doesn't necessarily HAVE to be on a standalone basis.
If the AD expenses exceed AD revenue then the university would be subsidizing the AD. Yes, the university CAN do it. No, I do NOT think the university wants to do it.
Of course AD revenue sources include, for example B1G TV money, NCAA-T share, merchandise sales, tickets, etc. etc. It may be a lot of money. But ultimately the university wants AD revenue to cover AD expenses (including athletic scholarships, and facility operating expenses). So, the amount of money available for coaches salaries is limited.

If the AD expenses exceed AD revenue then the university would be subsidizing the AD. Yes, the university CAN do it. No, I do NOT think the university wants to do it.
Of course AD revenue sources include, for example B1G TV money, NCAA-T share, merchandise sales, tickets, etc. etc. It may be a lot of money. But ultimately the university wants AD revenue to cover AD expenses (including athletic scholarships, and facility operating expenses). So, the amount of money available for coaches salaries is limited.

Is that supposed to be some kind of revelation?

Funny, this has a whole thread. Where I have admitted my belief doesn't look good. But it is early young one, and things change. Notice there is not a long line of people ready to take a strong position here. Haas does not look like the better player. Not to worry, I like revisiting things down the road, this will be another.
Haas doesn't seem to have the endurance. He is a matchup problem when he is on the court but it seems that often he is not on the court. Swanigan is

The majority of athletic departments are not self sufficient. BT with its revenue sharing model makes the BT an exception

I'm not going to speculate about Collins will do (although I'll be surprised if he doesn't stay for a while), but I think he'd be nuts to take the Duke job, where Coach K would cast a huge shadow. What's the up side? If you reach the final four or win a title at Duke, it would be on the order of expected. On the other hand, Collins has a chance to be the Coach K of Northwestern.

It has been reported that the BTN money does not go directly into the AD. Is that still a fact ? Seems that with BTN cash increasing, it might go a long way to balancing the AD budget, as well making more cash available for coaches salaries.

I'm not going to speculate about Collins will do (although I'll be surprised if he doesn't stay for a while), but I think he'd be nuts to take the Duke job, where Coach K would cast a huge shadow. What's the up side? If you reach the final four or win a title at Duke, it would be on the order of expected. On the other hand, Collins has a chance to be the Coach K of Northwestern.
CCC would have 7 million reasons to take the Duke job ;-)
Coach K's salary has been reported to be over $7MM. That's a lot of cash.
The B1G highest-payed mens BkB HC is MSU's Izzo at about $4MM (a bit over half as much as coach K).
CCC's salary is obviously much lower (~$1.5MM at last report).
Of course, coach K's replacement may not get as much money as he is getting, but in all probability would still make a lot more than NU currently pays (at least as much as Izzo's I'd guess).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT