ADVERTISEMENT

Collins rumors

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
In another thread a poster who may be a Purdue fan mentions that "sources" tell him coach Collins will soon replace Tom Crean at Indiana (yes, that's the same Crean who won the B1G LAST season and reached the NCAA S16!).
Out of curiosity did a web search about this "rumor". Did find an article (<<== click ) about the "upcoming" Indiana coaching vacancy that mentions CC, but not as a candidate. The article was actually about another potential candidate, UVA's Tony Bennett.
However, CC may be a candidate at Mizzou according to this KC Star article (<<== click ). More bizarrely, he may also be headed to LSU (of all places), according to this article (<<== click ).
Both Mizzou and LSU would consider Crean (if he indeed leaves), so CC may either replace him at Indiana, or possibly compete against him elsewhere.
Just thought you wanted to know all this!

In another thread a poster who may be a Purdue fan mentions that "sources" tell him coach Collins will soon replace Tom Crean at Indiana (yes, that's the same Crean who won the B1G LAST season and reached the NCAA S16!).
Out of curiosity did a web search about this "rumor". Did find an article (<<== click ) about the "upcoming" Indiana coaching vacancy that mentions CC, but not as a candidate. The article was actually about another potential candidate, UVA's Tony Bennett.
However, CC may be a candidate at Mizzou according to this KC Star article (<<== click ). More bizarrely, he may also be headed to LSU (of all places), according to this article (<<== click ).
Both Mizzou and LSU would consider Crean (if he indeed leaves), so CC may either replace him at Indiana, or possibly compete against him elsewhere.

Now, I know you're just trolling.

Let them talk. They have no idea what they are talking about.

The LSU article: "Northwestern’s history as a basketball program is that whenever they stumble on a coach who produces any success at all he departs at the first opportunity; a call to Collins could put that history to the test."

I can't think of a single coach in my 25 years of following NU hoops who a) produced any success or b) departed on his own terms. Unless it be KON, and that's more like he left before he was thrown out on his drunk Irish ass.

As for the Mizzou article, they see it for how it is: "Truthfully, given that Collins is a Chicago native and finally has a good thing going at Northwestern, it’s hard to fathom why he’d give that up for a fixer-upper in Columbia."

A lot of schools would love to have Collins. He'd leave for about none of them. One of them maybe if Coach K retired. But, even then I'd bet you money he stays.

Damn. I would consider going but the 'Cats play at home that weekend in football.

Now, I know you're just trolling.

Let them talk. They have no idea what they are talking about.

The LSU article: "Northwestern’s history as a basketball program is that whenever they stumble on a coach who produces any success at all he departs at the first opportunity; a call to Collins could put that history to the test."

I can't think of a single coach in my 25 years of following NU hoops who a) produced any success or b) departed on his own terms. Unless it be KON, and that's more like he left before he was thrown out on his drunk Irish ass.

As for the Mizzou article, they see it for how it is: "Truthfully, given that Collins is a Chicago native and finally has a good thing going at Northwestern, it’s hard to fathom why he’d give that up for a fixer-upper in Columbia."

A lot of schools would love to have Collins. He'd leave for about none of them. One of them maybe if Coach K retired. But, even then I'd bet you money he stays.
The Collins family just bought a 2.5M home in Wilmette.

How do rumors get started?
They're started by the jealous people and
they get mad about something had, and somebody else is holding

They tell me that temptation is very hard to resist
These wicked women, oh they just persist
Maybe you think its cute, but girl I'm not impressed
I tell you one time only with my business please don't mess

Look at all these rumors running me everyday
I just need some time some time to get away from
From all these rumors I cant take it no more
My best friend say did you hear the one about me
and the girl next door?

Did you hear the one about Tina?
Some say shes much too loose
That came straight from a guy who claims hes tasting her juice

Did you hear the one about Michael?
Some say he must be gay
I tried to argue but they said if he were straight he wouldn't move that way

Did you hear the one about Susan?
some say shes just a tease
in a camosal shes six feet tall shell knock you to you knees

Look at all these rumors running me everyday
I just need some time some time to get away from
From all these rumors I cant take it no more
My best friend say did you hear the one about me
and the girl next door?

I cant go no place without somebody pointin' a finger
I cant show my face cuz when it comes to rumors I'm a dead ringer

It seems from rumors I just can't get away
I bet there'll even be rumors floatin' around on Judgment Day

I'll think I'll write my congressman and tell him to pass a bill
For the next time they catch somebody startin' rumors, shoot to kill

Will you look at all these rumors surroundin' me every day
I just need some time, some time to get away from
From all these rumors, I can't take it no more
My best friend said there's one out now about me and the girl next door

What's mine is mine, I ain't got time for rumors in my life
I'm a man who thinks, not a man who drinks, so please let me live my life

Will you look at all these rumors surroundin' me every day

Look at all these rumors surroundin' me every day

Stop spreadin' those rumors around
Stop spreadin' the lies
Stop (Stop) spreadin' the lies

Stop spreadin' the lies
Stop spreadin' the lies

Stop spreadin' the lies

Read more: Club Nouveau - Rumors Lyrics | MetroLyrics

This just sounds like you can no longer claim that he has not accomplished anything. So what better than now claim he will be stolen?

Could you let me know what my ex-girlfriends are doing and saying about me? Thanks.

Could you let me know what my ex-girlfriends are doing and saying about me? Thanks.
Aren't they either in prison or working as pet psychiatrists in LA?

TRUE STORY: A former girlfriend (briefly but enjoyably--she was very cool) from NU is headed off to jail for attempted murder---of her husband! She plead to a lesser charge and will only do about 3 years, thankfully. But I can now say that I know someone who is a felon.

Aren't they either in prison or working as pet psychiatrists in LA?

TRUE STORY: A former girlfriend (briefly but enjoyably--she was very cool) from NU is headed off to jail for attempted murder---of her husband! She plead to a lesser charge and will only do about 3 years, thankfully. But I can now say that I know someone who is a felon.
With you she would have been successful?

Reactions: rmndcat
I only know a few posters on this site, and I don't know the original poster of this thread, but do we now need a sanity test before posting?

I read some of the links in the original post here and there is zero connection. Crazy speak

I only know a few posters on this site, and I don't know the original poster of this thread, but do we now need a sanity test before posting?

I read some of the links in the original post here and there is zero connection. Crazy speak

You peaked my interest, so I read the OP and looked at the links. The only 2 where Collins is mentioned have him as "nothing to see here" or "unattainable". So Felis is just yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.

As many challenges as life presents itself I could not make it without an optimistic view on life. I find it makes my days much better. I take this same view on following NU athletics. I like to assume that Collins would only think of leaving for Duke and would ultimately think of building his own at NU would make him stay. Hanging on a board to be negative and start bad rumors would be too sad of a way for me. Enough challenges in life to create some. I just don't get some people.

As many challenges as life presents itself I could not make it without an optimistic view on life. I find it makes my days much better. I take this same view on following NU athletics. I like to assume that Collins would only think of leaving for Duke and would ultimately think of building his own at NU would make him stay. Hanging on a board to be negative and start bad rumors would be too sad of a way for me. Enough challenges in life to create some. I just don't get some people.

No need to waste your time in any attempt to "get" Feli. He is the nut low of posters on this board. Just make fun of his posts like everyone else does and you'll feel better.

Reactions: Fitz51
start bad rumors would be too sad of a way for me.
Who is starting rumors? Did you actually READ the OP? Did you check the articles linked? At least one of the articles explicitly mentioning CC in connection to expected coaching vacancies is published by a nationally recognized media outlet, the KC star (published since 1880, and recipient of eight Pulitzer Prizes).

Last quote I heard was "I miss that man... the things he could do to my body would just set me on fire."

Or something like that. I could have misheard.

The Collins family just bought a 2.5M home in Wilmette.
If another school comes calling and he wants the job those boosters will pay off the house and sell it for him. bottom line is just enjoy the moment. Carmody was rumored even to be up for other jobs after a few successful seasons here its part of the deal.

I think Collins will stay for a while he has a great team coming back next year and things moving forward that will increase his ability to succeed here (new arena, practice facility).

If I am advising CC I would thinkIndiana would not be a good fit for him (same league, unrealistic expectations, does nothing to help him get the Duke job, etc) Thatsmy thoughts but what do I know. Many others who seem to know him say Collins will be here for a while but in the near future if Duke or a NBA job with a great organization (think Stevens in Boston) come calling it may be hard to say no. Down the road who knows, the younger generation coaches do not seem to stay any where longer than 8 to 10 years nowadays because of the money and pressure....the days of K, Dean Smith, Boehims, etc. are coming to an end

You peaked my interest, so I read the OP and looked at the links. The only 2 where Collins is mentioned have him as "nothing to see here" or "unattainable". So Felis is just yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre.
This the old editor in me, Fitz, but your interest was not "peaked," it was piqued. Your interest may have peaked at some point, but not until it was initially piqued. Ok, I'm going back under my rock.

This the old editor in me, Fitz, but your interest was not "peaked," it was piqued. Your interest may have peaked at some point, but not until it was initially piqued. Ok, I'm going back under my rock.

He also thinks methane is CH4.

Reactions: NJCat

Idaho, what do you hear from your Southern Illinois connections on the kid from Edwardsville?

What they said at the time was likely more than enough

Really?

"Glades, don't go! I'll change my hair style! I'll lose 10 pounds! See, I just bought Jenny Craig! I'll wash your truck! I'll pay off your truck payments! I love fly larvae! Really, I do!"

Reactions: Palindrome
Idaho, what do you hear from your Southern Illinois connections on the kid from Edwardsville?
Haven't heard anything. I know Edwardsville is playing Belleville West in the sectionals this week. Smith seems to keep his recruitment pretty close to the vest.

Who is starting rumors? Did you actually READ the OP? Did you check the articles linked? At least one of the articles explicitly mentioning CC in connection to expected coaching vacancies is published by a nationally recognized media outlet, the KC star (published since 1880, and recipient of eight Pulitzer Prizes).
At least you got who I was inferring...just because the press writes it does not make anything more than a rumor. Plus the Star even states they can't see him leaving NU. I am going back to my half filled glass of water now.

Reactions: T_Levine
If another school comes calling and he wants the job those boosters will pay off the house and sell it for him. bottom line is just enjoy the moment. Carmody was rumored even to be up for other jobs after a few successful seasons here its part of the deal.

I think Collins will stay for a while he has a great team coming back next year and things moving forward that will increase his ability to succeed here (new arena, practice facility).

If I am advising CC I would thinkIndiana would not be a good fit for him (same league, unrealistic expectations, does nothing to help him get the Duke job, etc) Thatsmy thoughts but what do I know. Many others who seem to know him say Collins will be here for a while but in the near future if Duke or a NBA job with a great organization (think Stevens in Boston) come calling it may be hard to say no. Down the road who knows, the younger generation coaches do not seem to stay any where longer than 8 to 10 years nowadays because of the money and pressure....the days of K, Dean Smith, Boehims, etc. are coming to an end

He already has a team that's better than Indiana and he's just getting started. Why would he do a double-reversion like that? Moving from Duke was only a single reversion: program. But it was in a better town and it was a head coaching job. Plus 2 minus 1 - makes a net positive.

Indiana is same job, worse program and worse town. -2. No brainer.

But IU has a pretty campus. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think Chris is going to be a 'Hail fellow Wilmette' for quite a while.

Reactions: Palindrome
He already has a team that's better than Indiana and he's just getting started. Why would he do a double-reversion like that? Indiana is same job, worse program and worse town. -2. No brainer.
Not sure Indy is a worse program. They won 3 fewer B1G games than NU THIS season, but just last year they were B1G champs and advanced to the NCAA S16 (as they did 3 years earlier). They have made the S16 3 times in the past 5 years. They probably still have a lot of talent in their roster and a nice recruiting class coming up. Of course they also have tons of past accomplishments, some old some not so old.

Another thing is MONEY. TC base's salary is over $3MM a year (plus performance bonuses). CC's is reported to be about $1.5MM. Essencially a 2-to-1 difference. *IF* they were to offer him a similar salary, it would be a huge pay raise.

Not sure Indy is a worse program. They won 3 fewer B1G games than NU THIS season, but just last year they were B1G champs and advanced to the NCAA S16 (as they did 3 years earlier). They have made the S16 3 times in the past 5 years. They probably still have a lot of talent in their roster and a nice recruiting class coming up. Of course they also have tons of past accomplishments, some old some not so old.

Another thing is MONEY. TC base's salary is over $3MM a year (plus performance bonuses). CC's is reported to be about $1.5MM. Essencially a 2-to-1 difference. *IF* they were to offer him a similar salary, it would be a huge pay raise.

Here's a question for you, Felis. Would YOU want him to take the Indiana job?

Reactions: mikewebb68
In response to Kelly Anne Conway or FS, NU has established a scholarship for Collins and I am sure that means a big salary increase coming Collins way this offseason. I don't know if you aware of this, but AD Jim Phillips is at the top of his profession and is well aware of what a tournament appearance means for Collins' salary. I am sure his buddy, Fitz will tell CC of the story of Barnett who was the most sought after coach in college football in 1995-1997 (pursued by ND, Texas, UCLA, etc.). He was out of a job in 5 years after he left NU and never coached again after Colorado fired him after enduring scandal after scandal.

As for Creaner, IU is not a dominant team that is why they are headed to the NiT. Creaner should thank his lucky stars that DePaul did not want Dwayne Wade and he fell in his lap at Marquette.

Stir the pot elsewhere. You have no clue. Everyone has NU in the tourney. You don't. You don't understand how gets selected in the tourney or what is happening on the basketball court in Evanston. This is the first step and next year, NU will be better with 5 new and talented players (Falzon, Ivaunauskas, Gaines and hopefully Smith and a big guy who is a grad transfer). So spin your alternative facts elsewhere. Or try out for the Spicer position when he gets canned in a month.

Reactions: Fitz51
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT