ADVERTISEMENT

Collins rumors

It has been reported that the BTN money does not go directly into the AD. Is that still a fact ? Seems that with BTN cash increasing, it might go a long way to balancing the AD budget, as well making more cash available for coaches salaries.
NU being a private school doesn't have to release as much info to the public as state schools do. Probably all NU revenue goes in principle to the central admin. They then decide how much to allocated to the AD's budget. They could allocate as much or as little as they wish. But they probably won't allocate MORE than the revenue NU gets from athletics (all sources considered).
There are always accounting issues. For example, NU could allocate the AD a lot of money, but some of that money could immediately come back to the central admin as payment for the tuition of the student athletes. At the end of the day it's all NU's money.

CCC would have 7 million reasons to take the Duke job ;-)
Coach K's salary has been reported to be over $7MM. That's a lot of cash.
The B1G highest-payed mens BkB HC is MSU's Izzo at about $4MM (a bit over half as much as coach K).
CCC's salary is obviously much lower (~$1.5MM at last report).
Of course, coach K's replacement may not get as much money as he is getting, but in all probability would still make a lot more than NU currently pays (at least as much as Izzo's I'd guess).

Money or no money, those who succeed a legend don't usually fare well. Hell, I don't know if UCLA coaches are out of the Wooden shadow to this day, and he coached his last team in the '70s. And I imagine NU could come up with some money for him if it comes down to that. I think it's more a matter of whether he wants to continue a legacy established by others or create one of his own.

Money or no money, those who succeed a legend don't usually fare well. Hell, I don't know if UCLA coaches are out of the Wooden shadow to this day, and he coached his last team in the '70s. And I imagine NU could come up with some money for him if it comes down to that. I think it's more a matter of whether he wants to continue a legacy established by others or create one of his own.
Hard to believe that Collins is doing so well following a board acclaimed, NU coaching legend.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Money or no money, those who succeed a legend don't usually fare well. And I imagine NU could come up with some money for him if it comes down to that. I think it's more a matter of whether he wants to continue a legacy established by others or create one of his own.
I cannot speak for CCC. However, he could also view succeeding a legend as the ultimate challenge: to be part of the first back-to-back legendary coaching duo!

Anyhow, money could be a big issue. The NU BkB program just doesn't generate the kind of money Duke's does. NU cannot simply get into a bidding war with whoever, even if it is a behemoth. It may not make sense anyway, b/c NU could simply find another coach to continue the good work that CC has started. The candidate pool following CC should be stronger than the pool following BC, b/c the program may be in stronger shape, and hence would attract stronger candidates than it did after BC left. In other words, NU could find the next CC (just as it found the first one) without having to pay more than it is reasonable given the revenues produced by the BkB program.

Finally, if CC did took over after coach K and did fail, he probably would have been handsomely compensated for giving it a try. Imagine he 'only' gets $5MM a year (roughly 70% of what coach K makes) and after 3 years he is fired. He would have $15MM (possibly plus buyout money) for his trouble trying to follow a legend, and failing. Not a bad way of failing!! He could seek the next chance elsewhere, while taking millions of $$ with him for his 3-year 'failing' experience. Not as traumatic as you think!!!

It ain't all about money Feli, CCC is invested in so much more than that. I'm not saying he wouldn't take the call if Duke was on the other line, but let's just see how things have gone here if/when that call comes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT