ADVERTISEMENT

Collins: Stay or Go Criteria

What finish to the season should get Collins fired?

• Collins should always be fired short of winning the Big Ten Tournament or a miracle NCAA run

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Collins she be fired unless the team makes the NCAA

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • If this team is on the NCAA bubble and a high NIT, Collins can be retained

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Collins should be retained if the team makes the NIT

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Collins should be kept if they win another couple games but still miss the NIT

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • Collins should not be fired this year at all

Votes: 36 38.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Still more success than NU. When a coach underperforms to this degree at Stanford, he is fired. Vandy and Wake have more latitude in terms of recruiting, but the same for them. Notre Dame has allowed Brey several Mulligans, but he has come back and gotten the team to the Tournament. NU has very low performance expectations and standards, and it shows.
I’m not really one way or the other. I voted for what I thought was a moderate option about Collins making the NIT that ended up being clearly in the minority among mostly pro Collins responses. I just also didn’t realize that Stanford basketball has basically had one 20 year golden era and wasn’t good before nor since. Of course, that’s one more golden era than NU has experienced…

I’m not really one way or the other. I voted for what I thought was a moderate option about Collins making the NIT that ended up being clearly in the minority among mostly pro Collins responses. I just also didn’t realize that Stanford basketball has basically had one 20 year golden era and wasn’t good before nor since. Of course, that’s one more golden era than NU has experienced…
I know the guy bringing up ND is an Illinois troll, but anyone that brings up ND as a NU comparable for Athletics is either out of their mind or a delusional NU alum. Also, the vote was pro Collins not the responses.

• Wow
Reactions: willycat
NIT was exciting to get in, once upon a time. That time has passed and especially in a big market like Chicago, it is hardly a blip on the radar. Thousands of empty seats for the home NIT game ten years ago vs. Akron. Before the field was watered down, we played Notre Dame and DePaul in it and that gave it a little cache. Plus, we had never been to the NCAAs at that time. Big Ten doesn't really appear in any so-called lower tier bowl games. All are after Christmas and televised by ESPN.
I’d take the NIT in a heartbeat any day of the week.

I don't think that was Willycat's intention.
His main point was that the NU degree does carry more weight than almost any power 5 school.
Somebody wrote that there was no difference between NU and (Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Georgia Tech, Stanford etc)
willycat responded, "oh yes there is."
I think he accidentally failed to make Stanford an exception.
Certainly he didn't say "NU has a better reputation than Stanford."
But NU is more prestigious than Vandy, ND, GTown and GTech, in that order.

And I can't believe I'm defending willycat!
The point isn’t whether there is a difference in prestige. There will always be a difference between two schools. Heck, some people would say Harvard is more prestigious then Stanford or Princeton. The question is in the recruiting context whether there is a meaningful enough difference in prestige so that the NU degree can offset the lack of winning tradition. In my opinion the answer is no. I’m sure some hyper competitive industries might distinguish between Northwestern, Georgetown, Vanderbilt and Notre Dame but to 99% of the country they are looked at as outstanding universities that are just a notch below Harvard, Yale and Stanford. And I can’t imagine a scenario where a D1 level athlete who was worried about job prospects would see any functional difference between NU and Georgetown. Even in Chicago the job prospects for the guy who was a communication major and was the starting PG at Notre Dame are going to be same for the NU PG who was also a communications major.

Last edited:
Can anyone mention another program where, after 9 seasons, the majority of people continue to say, regardless of what happens through the end of the season, that the coach just needs more time?
I share your frustration. But there is no point in comparing NU to other schools, it was (is?) literally the worst P5 job in the country. We have ONE tournament apperance and by some accounts the worst admission standards in the P5. And spare me the living on the lake, North Shore, academic prestige, close to Chicago talking points. P5 coaches are competitive megalomaniacs and they want to win. Period. I'm not saying Collins SHOULD get more time, just that it's tough to say well this is how Michigan or Vanderbilt did it, so that's how NU should do it etc.

I share your frustration. But there is no point in comparing NU to other schools, it was (is?) literally the worst P5 job in the country. We have ONE tournament apperance and by some accounts the worst admission standards in the P5. And spare me the living on the lake, North Shore, academic prestige, close to Chicago talking points. P5 coaches are competitive megalomaniacs and they want to win. Period. I'm not saying Collins SHOULD get more time, just that it's tough to say well this is how Michigan or Vanderbilt did it, so that's how NU should do it etc.

I would say we have nearly the highest admission standards, which is as it should be.
We are the 2nd or 3rd best university in the Power 5.

Lots of people on here want the university to further lower its academic standards for athletes in order to facilitate the possibility of having better teams.

Plenty of NU people (like me) don't want to do that. It isn't worth compromising your standards like that.

The better approach would be to hire a promising young coach who understands the challenges and the rules. And no 10 year extensions before 5 years on the job. NU thought they had this guy when they hired Collins. Generally the right approach, other than his (important) lack of head coaching experience. They just picked the wrong guy.

I would say we have nearly the highest admission standards, which is as it should be.

Lots of people on here want the university to further lower its academic standards for athletes in order to facilitate the possibility of having better teams.

Plenty of NU people (like me) don't want to do that. It isn't worth compromising your standards like that.

The better approach would be to hire a promising young coach who understands the challenges and the rules. And no 10 year extensions before 5 years on the job. NU thought they had this guy when they hired Collins. Generally the right approach, other than his (important) lack of head coaching experience. They just picked the wrong guy.
I agree with your approach and unlike others on this board I think we could get promising up and coming coach, but we would just have to overpay by millions. I actually don't fault NU for giving Collins the extension. If Collins wanted to leave in 2017 he would have been a serious candidate for any job in the country. If Coach K decided to retire the year we were in the tourney I bet Collins gets the Duke job. NU felt like they had to overpay to keep their guy which is not an unreasonable position.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver

OK then, don't change admissions standard and continue to finish in the bottom third of the conference. Would think the Ivy league might have an opening.

I very much doubt that the worst job in the country pulls Collins from Duke in 2013

My question did not intend to be any personal opinion on whether CC should stay or go.

It's genuine curiosity, there are 357 D1 programs in the country. Is there even one more patient than ours?

On admissions, I personally do not like our admission standards. Even though, admittedly I have no idea what they are and how they compare to other schools. I hear Wisconsin is the only other program in the B1G with higher than minimum standards. I hear Stanford is the only P5 with the same standards we have. But ultimately, it seems to be classified info and I have no idea of exceptions, etc.

I think colleges, especially ones that aim at being "progressive" and positive influences on society should have serious social responsibilities. And sports are a phenomenal way of allowing upward mobility for kids who don't stand much of a chance with the deck they were dealt. Do we play a positive role on that? Or do we, more often, admit idiots like Chet Hanks? I am one that cringed the first football game I went to and experienced the "it's alright, it's OK...".

By no means I think we should admit anyone we believe stands no chance at graduating. But I also firmly believe it's not, with the right assistance, that complicated to graduate from NU. The hard thing is to get in. Maybe I did not find it that hard myself and am extrapolating. But that's how I feel.

We would gladly accept PBJ, with no expectation he would graduate. But we would not accept Javon Freeman Liberty. Now I don't know if JFL would graduate, I am just doing the exercise of imagining he would, but his body of work was just not that impressive. It's hypocritical, it's elitist.

First, reiterating that I think he will be allowed to stay through next year and, honestly, the team is playing well enough that I'm ok with one more year. That said, I feel Gragg should have a succession plan in place in case there is no...um...success, next year, and just hire a hot G5 coach and pay them appropriately. If they fail in 3-4 years, hire another one. And so on. Don't be afraid over "who would come here?!?", and accept poor performance.

Put it this way, even with the huge contract, what if Collins had gotten us to the tourney 3 straight years including an elite 8? he'd be out of here so fast he'd leave skid marks.

My question did not intend to be any personal opinion on whether CC should stay or go.

It's genuine curiosity, there are 357 D1 programs in the country. Is there even one more patient than ours?

On admissions, I personally do not like our admission standards. Even though, admittedly I have no idea what they are and how they compare to other schools. I hear Wisconsin is the only other program in the B1G with higher than minimum standards. I hear Stanford is the only P5 with the same standards we have. But ultimately, it seems to be classified info and I have no idea of exceptions, etc.

I think colleges, especially ones that aim at being "progressive" and positive influences on society should have serious social responsibilities. And sports are a phenomenal way of allowing upward mobility for kids who don't stand much of a chance with the deck they were dealt. Do we play a positive role on that? Or do we, more often, admit idiots like Chet Hanks? I am one that cringed the first football game I went to and experienced the "it's alright, it's OK...".

By no means I think we should admit anyone we believe stands no chance at graduating. But I also firmly believe it's not, with the right assistance, that complicated to graduate from NU. The hard thing is to get in. Maybe I did not find it that hard myself and am extrapolating. But that's how I feel.

We would gladly accept PBJ, with no expectation he would graduate. But we would not accept Javon Freeman Liberty. Now I don't know if JFL would graduate, I am just doing the exercise of imagining he would, but his body of work was just not that impressive. It's hypocritical, it's elitist.
"And sports are a phenomenal way of allowing upward mobility for kids who don't stand much of a chance with the deck they were dealt."

There you go! Current admissions standards are discrimination of a sort. You got serious talent at some activity NU offers, you should be admitted. How many more millions are coaches paid, than professors? And what are their academic qualifications with respect to professors. It is total hypocrisy. This in some respect is no different than the quota admissions had for Jews back in the 1950's, just a different type of exclusionary.

Reactions: GatoLouco
"And sports are a phenomenal way of allowing upward mobility for kids who don't stand much of a chance with the deck they were dealt."

There you go! Current admissions standards are discrimination of a sort. You got serious talent at some activity NU offers, you should be admitted. How many more millions are coaches paid, than professors? And what are their academic qualifications with respect to professors. It is total hypocrisy. This in some respect is no different than the quota admissions had for Jews back in the 1950's, just a different type of exclusionary.
Professors are one of the most pandered, well paid, and coddled groups in America, let’s not go crazy shedding tears over a group who decade after decade has seen their pay go up and up while their actual work hours drop and drop.

Professors are one of the most pandered, well paid, and coddled groups in America, let’s not go crazy shedding tears over a group who decade after decade has seen their pay go up and up while their actual work hours drop and drop.
My point really has nothing to do with how much professors get paid. They could be getting paid more than coaches and my point would be the same. Pay only adds to my point. The fact that coaches are not academically qualified to be hired as mentors to NU students who must be much more academically qualified than they are, is.

Reactions: 7th Cir. Cat

I agree in general about admissions standards, but why is this tied to basketball? Why tie this chance at upward mobility to something that isn't related to the academic mission that would foster that. There are TONS of hard-working kids with big dreams who do amazing things who could do well at NU and benefit from that upward mobility. I guess I don't see why their playing basketball would need to be in the mix to accomplish that.

Reactions: stpaulcat
I agree in general about admissions standards, but why is this tied to basketball? Why tie this chance at upward mobility to something that isn't related to the academic mission that would foster that. There are TONS of hard-working kids with big dreams who do amazing things who could do well at NU and benefit from that upward mobility. I guess I don't see why their playing basketball would need to be in the mix to accomplish that.
I agree.

Reactions: hoosboot
The recruiting excuse falls flat. Stanford has comparable standards. Notre Dame has comparable standards. There are about 10-15 recruits among the top 100/150 that these schools can realistically target each year. Neither are perennial winners, but they've won much more than NU.

If you doubt this, cite me a player/recruit for either program that NU would not admit. To the contrary, we consistently see common recruiting targets.

Probably the best for NU is to hire a good, proven coach on the rebound. It happens. They're out there. Anthony Grant is an example of this. I'm sure he will get a shot at the big-time again. Throw a lot of money at him. In terms of coaches with good track records who might be available after this season, two Martins, Cuonzo and Frank, might be available. Frank, in particular, did a great job at Kansas St. and the first half of his time at South Carolina. Cuonzo can recruit and knows the Big Ten well.

The Brumbaugh decision is a bad omen. A player of his caliber would not have reversed his decision the year after the NCAA Tournament appearance.
No to Frank Martin!

First, reiterating that I think he will be allowed to stay through next year and, honestly, the team is playing well enough that I'm ok with one more year. That said, I feel Gragg should have a succession plan in place in case there is no...um...success, next year, and just hire a hot G5 coach and pay them appropriately. If they fail in 3-4 years, hire another one. And so on. Don't be afraid over "who would come here?!?", and accept poor performance.

Put it this way, even with the huge contract, what if Collins had gotten us to the tourney 3 straight years including an elite 8? he'd be out of here so fast he'd leave skid marks.
CCC grew up 20 minutes from WR. He has raised a young family here. What makes you so sure he would leave skid marks with a quit exit?

At this point that now may be true. However things have changed and he has experienced the administration and fan support for nearly a decade. I would leave skid marks too if I went to the tourney 3 straight years at NU.

Of course there are tons of hard working kids with big dreams that don’t get a chance. The question is how do you make a decision when there are literally tons of them. It comes down to something unique those individuals bring to the table. Certainly, should not be just athletics and I don’t believe it is.

Of course there are tons of hard working kids with big dreams that don’t get a chance. The question is how do you make a decision when there are literally tons of them. It comes down to something unique those individuals bring to the table. Certainly, should not be just athletics and I don’t believe it is.
Okay, so are you advocating that admissions be able to make decisions based on their evaluation of a candidate without strict GPA and standardized testing requirements and the like for all students? I am skeptical that will produce meaningful differences in the basketball players admitted unless you are focused on making larger exceptions for basketball players. And then it isn't about providing larger opportunities to kids for upward mobility. It's about getting in more basketball players you want.

Tenured professors, maybe, but say this to an adjunct with a PhD and see how loud they laugh at you.

Reactions: CatJones
when you say "We play MN twice" you mean Matt Nicholson, right?

I look at this season and my projection of 9 wins and know that we should have more than that.
Williams has been better than I expected. Collins has been even more stubborn than I expected.

The roster is there to be about 5th in the conference and yet here we are.
This roster is not 5ht in BIG. It is better than we have had but not 5th in conference level.

First, let's be clear. Barring a collapse 0-fer, I cannot envision Gragg firing him. I know the choices in the poll say "should" but I am being realistic. He will most likely be here next year. So - back to "should". The rest of the year will tell a lot about the team and coach. If they beat the 4 weaker teams on the list and lose the rest, that's a winning season, and "should" allow for another year. A "prove it or lose it" year. A Scott Frost year.

Less than 4 wins makes us .500 or less, means we lost to more weak teams, and that the coach and team just aren't there. He "should" be fired
You know we play 20 in conference games right? 4 wins gets us to nine and that would be sub 0.500

I think they were referring to a winning overall record rather than a winning conference record.
yes, that, and then presuming the obligatory 1st round BTT loss, we'd end up at 16-14. Also, 9 conf wins would be the 2nd most in my lifetime (albeit with more conf games than other years)

Okay, so are you advocating that admissions be able to make decisions based on their evaluation of a candidate without strict GPA and standardized testing requirements and the like for all students? I am skeptical that will produce meaningful differences in the basketball players admitted unless you are focused on making larger exceptions for basketball players. And then it isn't about providing larger opportunities to kids for upward mobility. It's about getting in more basketball players you want.
I think they should make larger exceptions to give all people from disadvantaged backgrounds a better opportunity for admissions. A first generation college student versus a 3rd or 4th generation student. So, yes, I would advocate taking much more in consideration that standardized testing and GPA. The end result may be only a few more athletes, but there should also be consideration for artists, musicians, writers, or anyone that has demonstrated a strong skill that brings that diversity to the student body.

My point really has nothing to do with how much professors get paid. They could be getting paid more than coaches and my point would be the same. Pay only adds to my point. The fact that coaches are not academically qualified to be hired as mentors to NU students who must be much more academically qualified than they are, is.
Academically qualified to mentor NU students? What on earth are you talking about

Academically qualified to mentor NU students? What on earth are you talking about
It's simple. If a student needs to be academically highly qualified to come to NU to play a sport as a significant part of their educational experience which NU offers as a significant part of that experience, why shouldn't their coaches be required to meet equally stringent intellectual standards? Conversely, if the coaches are not highly qualified both academically and and athletically, why should the students they mentor be highly qualified in both areas. It's a double standard. If sports are valued as a significant contributor to one's well rounded education, that suggests that the student who excels in a sport is as valuable to the university as the student who scores through the roof on tests but can barely lift a pencil, much less play a sport. Is there a difference between the University that accepts many students primarily on the basis of their athletic skills any different than the one that accepts students to the exclusion of their athletic skills? If athletics are important to education and personal development, then they should be treated equally with academics.

Last edited:
It's simple. If a student needs to be academically highly qualified to come to NU to play a sport as a significant part of their educational experience which NU offers as a significant part of their educational experience, why shouldn't their coaches be required to meet equally stringent intellectual standards? Conversely, if the coaches are not highly qualified both academically and and athletically, why should the students they mentor be highly qualified in both areas. It's a double standard. If sports are valued as a significant contributor to one's well rounded education, that suggests that the student who excels in a sport is as valuable to the university as the student who scores through the roof on tests but can barely lift a pencil, much less play a sport. Is there a difference between the University that accepts many students primarily on the basis of their athletic skills any different than the one that accepts students to the exclusion of their athletic skills? If athletics are important to education and personal development, then they should be treated equally with academics.
I'm not sure who helps the players with their academics, but it sure as hell isn't the assistant coaches.

I'm not sure who helps the players with their academics, but it sure as hell isn't the assistant coaches.
Not my point. One way to put this is NU's adminissions policy with respect athletic admissions is discriminatory, if not hypocritical. Clearly athletics are not valued as a significant aspect of certain students' education and are not treated equally with respect to admission. One way to argue a cockeyed policy is to contrast it with an equally cockeyed one.

Last edited:
Not just athletics, no, but superior athletic skill should be recognized as skill equal to superior academic skill--it is simply a different skill. Mind and body are not two separate entities. That, I believe is what NU is missing, which is difficult to understand, although given NU's Methodist roots, maybe not.

Last edited:
So you are a big fan of Jesse “the Body” Ventura?
I take your question seriously. In the sense that Jesse is a very physical person, and, yes, smart as well. He, like a current counterpart, has little patience for disagreement, except Jesse had a more enlightened perspective. Jesse ultimately promoted conspiracy theories, which are not always a bad thing--like that the sun doesn't orbit the earth. His counterpart just flat out lies, about everything. I'm not sure that this has to do with mind and body being one, except that Trump is a brain floating in a blob of blubber. Herein is one argument for physical development as a part of education from primary through higher ed, and those with athletic talent should be encouraged, not discriminated against..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT