ADVERTISEMENT

Collins

Depends on player development and recruiting. I like a lot of our players from a talent standpoint, but I‘m not sure CC gets them to develop fully or rapidly.

If Collins can keep bringing in recruiting classes like last year I think he’ll keep getting chances and better results will eventually come. If the recruiting slips he’s in trouble. He really really really needs to find an impact transfer or two for next season.

That's what I meant by "input".

And how many players really make their decisions based on “institutional support and facilities”?
Fitz sure seems to think it’s a good amount. Of course as the head coach you have to translate that into results. For example, targeting the right recruits, not striking out constantly on your recruits, hiring the right support staff and coaches, developing your players. Institutional support is an enabler - infrastructure, resources, salary, facilities to allow a head coach to be competitive. But the coach has to properly use those resources.

Reactions: drewjin
So, you think if Izzo or Painter were coaching this team instead of Collins the results would be exactly the same?
NU is in a different universe than it was back in the courting Jim Calhoun era. The institutional support and facilities are some of the best in the country. Collins does many core basketball program things poorly, things that have nothing to do with admissions: poor talent identification, poor player development, poor rotations and schemes. If Carmody wasn’t good enough then neither is Collins.
Sorry but it is the admissions policy.

Maybe worse. Izzo can get whatever players he wants, who will come to MSU.
Come on, man.
Izzo gets good players because he is a great coach.
The fact that he has a bigger pool to draw from doesn't explain why he gets good players.
Lots of coaches have even easier admission standards. They don't get good players.

In other words, if Izzo had to face the same standards as Collins faces, Izzo would get better players.

I think that is 100% undeniable.

Your argument, I presume, is that Izzo would not take the job at NU because of academic standards.
And thats probably true.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Meh, it seems reasonably deniable to me. There’s no evidence that Izzo as head coach of NU, operating under constraints he has never ever faced before, would be able to recruit players, acceptable to NU admissions, who would be better players than Collins has been recruiting.

It’s possible, but it certainly isn’t a given. It seems just as likely Izzo would get fired fighting to recruit the kinds of kids he already knows how to recruit, who would never get into NU.

Reactions: No Chores
I go back to Jim Calhoun. He would not come to NU because he knew he could not win. We have had some truly excellent coaches over the years. That is obviously not the problem; getting a new one will not markedly help unless admissions policies change. As I have shown, Collins has made progress despite this (even though the W/L record is similar to Carmody). That is to his significant credit and only worthy of firing because he made the apparently flawed decision of entering into a no-win situation.
Well NU has paid Collins a lot more than it ever paid Carmody and while I recognize that the individual players might be more athletic, I am not seeing improvement where it matters. In particularly, I think Collins has failed in one area, identifying the under the radar star players that Carmody seemed to always find.

Meh, it seems reasonably deniable to me. There’s no evidence that Izzo as head coach of NU, operating under constraints he has never ever faced before, would be able to recruit players, acceptable to NU admissions, who would be better players than Collins has been recruiting.

It’s possible, but it certainly isn’t a given. It seems just as likely Izzo would get fired fighting to recruit the kinds of kids he already knows how to recruit, who would never get into NU.
I personally believe basketball is more about head coaches, while football is more about the institution as a whole, so I’d say Izzi would have success anywhere he chose to go.

Not if he had to abide with NU's admission standards.
Would Izzo win national championships at NU?
Probably not.
Would we make the NCAA tournament every other year?
Probably.
Would NU fans and students show up at our home games?
Yes.

You need 2-3 players a year. We'd get guys at least as good as Young and Nance. When you are a great coach, thats all you need.

Reactions: MC_Cat and drewjin
Dude, you are basically advocating it does not matter who the coach is. So I suggest using a garbage can as the coach and saving $3M.
if they don't want to change admission standards, then a garbage can could coach as well as all past NU coaches.

if they don't want to change admission standards, then a garbage can could coach as well as all past NU coaches.
Ok willycat - now that’s ridiculous.

The point is - the coaches we’ve had have tried their best to keep us as close to a level playing field on a W/L basis as they can, but admissions is just too much of a limiting factor. Most all of our coaches who coached pre-NU did well, but not so at NU. The NU head coaches, including Collins, are high quality coaches.

Ok willycat - now that’s ridiculous.

The point is - the coaches we’ve had have tried their best to keep us as close to a level playing field on a W/L basis as they can, but admissions is just too much of a limiting factor. Most all of our coaches who coached pre-NU did well, but not so at NU. The NU head coaches, including Collins, are high quality coaches.
it still all comes down to Admission Standards. Just ask Falk, Winter, Foster and oh yes and let's not forget Carmody and a host of others.

While I agree, others have asked you to stop repeating this, so I will as well, especially when you say our coaches compare to garbage cans.

So is Collins off the hot seat yet?
Was he ever really on the hot seat with the extension he signed?

After Wednesday's game, I said that the OT W wouldn't matter if the team came out and crapped the bed today or gacked it against IU. They responded brilliantly today, but they've left themselves very little margin for error. Play an awful game against IU and people likely forget about today. Go to State College and melt down or cough one up to Minny and people will be calling for CCC's head again. Win against the Illini and he gets a reprieve. The story of this season still has some room to be written.

Was he ever really on the hot seat with the extension he signed?

After Wednesday's game, I said that the OT W wouldn't matter if the team came out and crapped the bed today or gacked it against IU. They responded brilliantly today, but they've left themselves very little margin for error. Play an awful game against IU and people likely forget about today. Go to State College and melt down or cough one up to Minny and people will be calling for CCC's head again. Win against the Illini and he gets a reprieve. The story of this season still has some room to be written.
I meant hot seat on the basketball board. That's the only place that matters, isn't it?

I doubt many on this board will agree, but I (and I would think unbiased observers) saw this (albeit one) game as a well-coached team against a poorly-coached team.
Right, some on this board would say Nebraska was the well coached team with lesser caliber players, and NU was the lesser coached team with great effort from the players. Personally, I think NU is a decently coached team which is on the rise, and with the addition of one or two key players could be quite good.

Right, some on this board would say Nebraska was the well coached team with lesser caliber players, and NU was the lesser coached team with great effort from the players. Personally, I think NU is a decently coached team which is on the rise, and with the addition of one or two key players could be quite good.
Seems kind of like a straw man argument, spc. Who is saying Nebraska seems like a well coached team? And who is saying they have lesser caliber players? That seems silly given that they start a 5-star and had several other highly ranked players on the roster.

I suspect that you're on the mark that NU is a decently coached team. Do you have a sense of where that addition of one or two key players is going to come from? Seems like it isn't in the 2022 class, but maybe Hunger turns out to be a Frank Kaminsky unicorn for the Cats. That would be pretty cool.

Seems kind of like a straw man argument, spc. Who is saying Nebraska seems like a well coached team? And who is saying they have lesser caliber players? That seems silly given that they start a 5-star and had several other highly ranked players on the roster.

I suspect that you're on the mark that NU is a decently coached team. Do you have a sense of where that addition of one or two key players is going to come from? Seems like it isn't in the 2022 class, but maybe Hunger turns out to be a Frank Kaminsky unicorn for the Cats. That would be pretty cool.
No I do not, but if Collins has any sense he will find one. Point guard who can get to the basket. Or a center who can out play Purdue's Edey?

My comment about Nebraska was /S--some might say it, just to demean Collins, although I don't believe anyone has.

Last edited:
Thanks Willy. Hopefully you'll get around to saying that in every thread on this site. You're getting close.
If he doesn’t do it, I will. We are 100% held back by admissions. I’m know others have been fans for longer, but I think 25 years is enough time for me to be confident in the assessment. You guys wanna win like Duke? Then you have to recruit like Duke.

So we beat Rutgers and MSU? No slouches.

Lost to Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, MSU, Maryland and Ohio State.

You can say that every year.

It amazes me that anyone who thought (and you might not be in the group) that Carmody had to go still thinks that Collins does not.

I will say again, I predict Collins will be back with an "extension" but it will be a dead man walking situation like Lovie at Illinois a few years back. I don't see NU paying two coaches.

And 100 in the NET rankings. They are a hugely overachieving team relative to their analytics.
Their B1G schedule is also hugely backloaded. Five out of their next six games are against ranked teams and two others are on the road against mid-tier teams. Will be interesting to see what happens if they finish with the same conf. record as the Cats. I have to imagine their profile will rise if then don't get blown out and win a couple of those, but it seems difficult for them to be have a Pom number above the Cats.

I will say again, I predict Collins will be back with an "extension"
He was only on the hotseat with a few people on this board. He's got at least three more years on his deal so new AD isn't going to make any kind of move yet. I though Carmody did a good job but he never made the NCAAs and I think he only had one year left on his contract when he was fired..

It’s called the 1% rule. This board has had this discussion for a decade. Duke and Stanford have what are known as 1% rules where 1% of the students accepted could be admitted under stated academic guidelines. If northwestern had that rule we would be talking about 20 kids a year. Given that football gets a few kids who are borderline I find it hard to believe collins doesn’t get one a year as well. I heard from a source that miller kopp was borderline coming out of hs.
Regardless, if I recall one situation at duke, the banner didn’t go up until the player eventually graduated. Duke also has what some would call remedial classes to keep these athletes on the road to graduation so they can be ncaa eligible.

find me 45 classes at northwestern and 13 in a major, assuming grad requirements haven’t changed in a while, that a borderline kid could not only survive but thrive in. And would want that kind of stress and pressure even if ccc was the second coming of John wooden.

It’s called the 1% rule. This board has had this discussion for a decade. Duke and Stanford have what are known as 1% rules where 1% of the students accepted could be admitted under stated academic guidelines. If northwestern had that rule we would be talking about 20 kids a year. Given that football gets a few kids who are borderline I find it hard to believe collins doesn’t get one a year as well. I heard from a source that miller kopp was borderline coming out of hs.
Regardless, if I recall one situation at duke, the banner didn’t go up until the player eventually graduated. Duke also has what some would call remedial classes to keep these athletes on the road to graduation so they can be ncaa eligible.

find me 45 classes at northwestern and 13 in a major, assuming grad requirements haven’t changed in a while, that a borderline kid could not only survive but thrive in. And would want that kind of stress and pressure even if ccc was the second coming of John wooden.
Really? In a liberal arts or fine arts direction? While out fine arts department is global, it’s not all scholastic. Dirty little secret… dig into the fine arts department of NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT