ADVERTISEMENT

46-8 FT attempts

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
Look at the box score & you’ll see an incredibly evenly matched game, with one glaring exception. Sure, PU beat us on the boards, but they also shot 46(!) free throws to our 8(!). A few very questionable calls (fouls and non-fouls) along the way, including some key ones in crunch time. Proud of the NU effort in spite of the outcome. Actually happy to see Collins let that official have it. Warranted. Purdue fans probably still think the refs were out to get them.

6-4 in the league after those first 10 is an achievement. Beat Minnesota & the rest of them, boys. Cats have their destiny in their own hands.

Incredible that Purdue, with the undisputed best player in the nation, needs a +38 differential in foul shots and overtime to beat Northwestern at home. I'm sure their fans were complaining about the measly 8 FTs we got as evidence of how biased the refs were against them.

They have some of the most annoying/entitled fans in the conference. Absolute clown show. There needs to be an investigation into the foul disparity at Mackey. It isn’t just us either. Let’s get the Gophers Saturday but damn I want Purdue again in the BTT.

PU’s play style should 100% lead to a ft disparity. Edey draws a ton of contact and the defense does a good job of not fouling. NU also made it’s living from 3’s tonight and that’s not conducive with drawing fouls.

That all being said it doesn’t lead to a disparity that big. I’m not one to complain about refs but man that sucked. To play an awesome game like that from both teams and to just have bad calls down the stretch that take players out of the game and switch momentum is so disappointing.

Incredible that Purdue, with the undisputed best player in the nation, needs a +38 differential in foul shots and overtime to beat Northwestern at home. I'm sure their fans were complaining about the measly 8 FTs we got as evidence of how biased the refs were against them.
The ref’s are bad and miss calls. I get that. But missing a guy diving at the shooter’s feet right in front of you is really hard to explain.

Omg. On HamnerAndRails there are some hilarious comments, but my favorite is the one that said there were “2-3x” more calls against PU than against NU. Ridiculous.

PU’s play style should 100% lead to a ft disparity. Edey draws a ton of contact and the defense does a good job of not fouling. NU also made it’s living from 3’s tonight and that’s not conducive with drawing fouls.

That all being said it doesn’t lead to a disparity that big. I’m not one to complain about refs but man that sucked. To play an awesome game like that from both teams and to just have bad calls down the stretch that take players out of the game and switch momentum is so disappointing.
Good take.

Was just going to also post that there are reasons that there should have been a gap — like you said, Edey for Purdue vs. NU shooting the 3 ball well. Also have to acknowledge there were 4 extra cheap FTs from Collins’ ejection.

But this kind of gap is too much. And that hook at the end will be seared into my mind for a long time.

Good take.

Was just going to also post that there are reasons that there should have been a gap — like you said, Edey for Purdue vs. NU shooting the 3 ball well. Also have to acknowledge there were 4 extra cheap FTs from Collins’ ejection.

But this kind of gap is too much. And that hook at the end will be seared into my mind for a long time.
Purdue can be +15 FTAs even +20…. But not +34 (pre-Collins tech)

Look at the box score & you’ll see an incredibly evenly matched game, with one glaring exception. Sure, PU beat us on the boards, but they also shot 46(!) free throws to our 8(!). A few very questionable calls (fouls and non-fouls) along the way, including some key ones in crunch time. Proud of the NU effort in spite of the outcome. Actually happy to see Collins let that official have it. Warranted. Purdue fans probably still think the refs were out to get them.

6-4 in the league after those first 10 is an achievement. Beat Minnesota & the rest of them, boys. Cats have their destiny in their own hands.

Even Illinois fans are perplexed by how B1G refs call Purdue/Edey.

Good take.

We only took 6 more 3s than they did. It's not like we shot 20 more perimeter shots and that's why the fouls were so lopsided.

Look, a lot of it was game flow and then the end of game FTs. We took a ton of jumpers, not very much in the paint. They go inside all the time. Purdue should have had more free throws than we did.

But there were certainly missed calls, and that stings in a game that goes to OT. Boo got kicked in the head early on after he got a defender in the air but right before a turnover, for instance.

We moved up in KenPom, but man would taking that game home been a shot across the bow.

Look, a lot of it was game flow and then the end of game FTs. We took a ton of jumpers, not very much in the paint. They go inside all the time. Purdue should have had more free throws than we did.

But there were certainly missed calls, and that stings in a game that goes to OT. Boo got kicked in the head early on after he got a defender in the air but right before a turnover, for instance.

We moved up in KenPom, but man would taking that game home been a shot across the bow.
It was 31 to 2 FT attempts before Ty got fouled shooting a 3 late in the game. That's a huge disparity before any end of game action. Even then, it was 15 to 6 to close things out. So frustrating.

Reactions: PurpleFaze

We aren’t sneaking up on anyone anymore. It’s not news that this is a good team capable of playing with and beating pretty much anyone in the country.

That’s especially true when tonight’s version of the team shows up. Boo tends to get his, but when one or two other guys are “on” at the same time is when we are REALLY good.

Reactions: drewjin
Edey is very physical. It’s comical he’s made out to be the “how do you call his game when he’s so big” guy, kind of like Shaq was. He dishes like crazy, shoves, and pushes.

The incredibly weird thing is that if a guy like Edey is a bit soft no one calls any fouls, but if he’s tough and physical magically he’s out there being fouled at every turn. Hey, there’s contact, he must have been fouled!

Yeah, I read for a while, and I stopped when it said that Collins will be sending Christmas cards to the refs because they gave NU so many gifts.

We aren’t sneaking up on anyone anymore. It’s not news that this is a good team capable of playing with and beating pretty much anyone in the country.

That’s especially true when tonight’s version of the team shows up. Boo tends to get his, but when one or two other guys are “on” at the same time is when we are REALLY good.
I think this is the first team in a revenue sport that can beat any team in the country since the 1995 football team. We can also lose to almost any team in the country but still pretty amazing.

A post on the Purdue board.

“We should have had more FTs than what we got. Several more actually. A lot of fouls not called.”

There are actually morons out there who really believe this.
Yeah, going through the postgame thread on Reddit is equally unhinged.

"The intentional plan of Northwestern was to foul at every opportunity and dare the refs to call a foul on every offensive position"

"Don’t act like they didn’t dish out some garbage fouls on us in crunch time when dudes were standing straight up. Game shouldn’t have been that close to begin with"

"I'm not sure there's actually anything much to complain about from the refs in this game. There were a few 50-50 calls that maybe could've gone the other way on both teams and a 50-50 call at the end when Northwestern was trying to foul that on replay looked like it could've gone the other way (though there was also plenty of contact before Lance Jones got his arm around the Northwestern player). But the massive disparity was completely expected. Literally every game against Northwestern has this disparity and Collins said before the game his goal was to use all 5 fouls of each of his 3 bigs"

Reactions: Pete Purple
Edey is very physical. It’s comical he’s made out to be the “how do you call his game when he’s so big” guy, kind of like Shaq was. He dishes like crazy, shoves, and pushes.

The incredibly weird thing is that if a guy like Edey is a bit soft no one calls any fouls, but if he’s tough and physical magically he’s out there being fouled at every turn. Hey, there’s contact, he must have been fouled!
100%. Last yr the story from announcers was that he’s so unique the refs “needed to learn” how to ref Edey, which I didn’t buy fo one second. Same rules guys. It’s obvious they have decided how they will call a game with him. Damn that arena is tough. End of day, it’s definitely the best I’ve ever felt losing. Great effort guys!

And to be clear, I thought the refs were acceptable this game - meaning an equal # of questionable/bad calls on both sides.

And to be clear, I thought the refs were acceptable this game - meaning an equal # of questionable/bad calls on both sides.
3 terrible calls / non-calls that went against NU come to mind:

- Hunger on Edey (per X)
- Berry 3-pointer when Morton cut out his feet
- Jones’s hook and charge on Martinelli

Name me 3 fouls that wrongfully went against Purdue.

This is what gets the refs...
Edey backs into the defender in the paint.
Defender holds ground.
Edey raises arms.
Defender raises arms.
Edey moves left arm behind defenders left arm and gets "all tied up" by pulling that arm forward.
Ref calls foul.

Life on the road on Big Ten. Unfortunately refs are intimated by home floor. Game should have never made it to OT. In my opinion Cats won game in reality. By 6 or 8 in fair game.

Reactions: IGNORE2
For what its worth, Coach Collins was visibly agitated in the press conference, but complimented Purdue and held it together.
He also said "its tough to win when the other team shoots 50 more free throws than you do" at least 6-7 times.

He really hammered on that. "I don't think I've ever seen a Big Ten game where one team had 50 more free throws than the other team... Wasn't that weird? You guys have been around... Wasn't that weird that one team shot 50 more free throws?"

"If you would have told me that Buie would have a shot to win the game and Purdue shot 50 more free throws than we did, I would have taken that."

He had some other good stuff, all of which was sarcastic.

I, more or less, accepted the officiating for the entire game. Thought it is what it is, they’re going to be friendly to the choo choos. But then they miss the 4 pt play and the hook in crunch time. That part I can’t accept and apparently neither could CC. I liked it, he waited for Boo to miss the 3 and for it to be over to turn into a more classy Fran. Sometimes one needs to be a bit Fran

In my opinion NU clearly won the game. Life on the road with crappy intimated officials. Let's just go on a run from here. This game and unfortunately intimated officials is expected

Collins walked up to the line but didn’t cross it. Asked about the final possession of regulation, he mentioned the late foul of Boo & noted PU somehow still had a foul to give at that point, in a game with so many whistles. A sarcastic ‘go figure’ type of dig at the wild disparity. Like…’How did that happen? Weird!’

Purdue fans inventing ways to complain that they’re still getting screwed after a game like that is seek-help-level delusional.

I, more or less, accepted the officiating for the entire game. Thought it is what it is, they’re going to be friendly to the choo choos. But then they miss the 4 pt play and the hook in crunch time. That part I can’t accept and apparently neither could CC. I liked it, he waited for Boo to miss the 3 and for it to be over to turn into a more classy Fran. Sometimes one needs to be a bit Fran
My friend said the same thing "Can't believe they missed that."
I said "They didn't miss it ,they ignored it."

Yeah, going through the postgame thread on Reddit is equally unhinged.

"The intentional plan of Northwestern was to foul at every opportunity and dare the refs to call a foul on every offensive position"

"Don’t act like they didn’t dish out some garbage fouls on us in crunch time when dudes were standing straight up. Game shouldn’t have been that close to begin with"

"I'm not sure there's actually anything much to complain about from the refs in this game. There were a few 50-50 calls that maybe could've gone the other way on both teams and a 50-50 call at the end when Northwestern was trying to foul that on replay looked like it could've gone the other way (though there was also plenty of contact before Lance Jones got his arm around the Northwestern player). But the massive disparity was completely expected. Literally every game against Northwestern has this disparity and Collins said before the game his goal was to use all 5 fouls of each of his 3 bigs"
I said it yesterday (Tuesday) before any of this happened - Purdue fans are the whiniest group in the country. If they lose, it’s always on the refs. If they win, they should have won by more if it wasn’t for the refs.

Then tonight, when everyone in the college basketball world is talking about the questionable reffing in their favor and the insane FT disparity…they’re still complaining.

I’m not going to blame the refs for that loss or really any loss. This game tonight was an incredible game and both teams played well. It sucks that most of the conversation is about the refs (I’m participating in it some too) when there was so much good basketball to dive into. What a fun game. We’ve played in some truly epic games this year.

Life on the road on Big Ten. Unfortunately refs are intimated by home floor. Game should have never made it to OT. In my opinion Cats won game in reality. By 6 or 8 in fair game.
This has nothing to do with you, because I know that is conventional thinking - home teams get more calls because the refs are intimidated. But I just don’t buy it. First of all, I think it’s just become accepted and expected practice, which is dead wrong.

Plus, if it wasn’t accepted practice, the league would train refs to prevent it.

• Angry
Refs are going to miss calls, and Purdue helped the Cats by poor shooting from the line. I did think the game was lost on the no call when Berry was whacked in the ankle. Not only did he lose the free throw, but he was hobbled for the next minute. A whistle would have given him the chance to walk it off.

That’s exactly it. There were some fouls on NU’s post players in the flow of the game that probably weren’t fouls, but it’s a national player of the year and he’s physical and he’s gonna get lots of calls. Basketball’s the toughest game to officiate — both because it’s alllll judgment, and because the crowd is so close and the coaches are close and you can hear everything.

But…
the leg kick on Berry was intent to injure, and the official blew the whistle on the hook before the play even started. Straight garbage.

CCC is an American hero. I wish we got a better view of his face as he exited and waved to the crowd.

Ultimately this is what kills them in the NCAA early rounds. They don't get coddled by B1G refs, and they don't know what to do. This is not just bad for us - it's bad for them and bad for the conference when they choke in round 1 every year.

Honestly, I don’t think it was that unbalanced an officiated game. I can think of several situations where both teams got bad breaks. NU had a really rough one right there at the end, but Purdue got inside far more and NU fouled a lot more in that game. Edey is just a basketball machine. Even still, we’re just one Boo floater from the win.

Honestly, I don’t think it was that unbalanced an officiated game. I can think of several situations where both teams got bad breaks. NU had a really rough one right there at the end, but Purdue got inside far more and NU fouled a lot more in that game. Edey is just a basketball machine. Even still, we’re just one Boo floater from the win.
You must have been watching a different game than literally everyone else.

Ultimately this is what kills them in the NCAA early rounds. They don't get coddled by B1G refs, and they don't know what to do. This is not just bad for us - it's bad for them and bad for the conference when they choke in round 1 every year.
Haven't lost a regular season non-conference game in 3 years so that really doesn't make any sense. They do better against BE/ACC/SEC/B12/PAC12 competition than they do in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT