ADVERTISEMENT

46-8 FT attempts

K
SportsCenter just showed that the +38 FT differential was the largest in a Big Ten conference game in at least the last 25 years, lol.
I’m sure Gragg is all over it with the B1G offices lol

Reactions: Hkjb
Haven't lost a regular season non-conference game in 3 years so that really doesn't make any sense. They do better against BE/ACC/SEC/B12/PAC12 competition than they do in the Big Ten.
Thanks for reinforcing my point. Those wins come early in the season before Purdue adjusts to the cozy, coddled reality of B1G officiating. After they get all the benefit of easy calls in conference play they lose to the 16th, 14th and 13th seed - respectively - in the NCAA tournament over those same 3 years you mentioned. This even more compellingly illustrates my point about how much damage the officiating does them. Then everyone says the B1G is overrated. Can't blame Purdue for taking those easy calls - but they lose touch with what real competition is, resulting in a predictable outcome come March.

Last edited:
Thanks for reinforcing my point. Those wins come early in the season before Purdue adjusts to the cozy, coddled reality of B1G officiating. After they get all the benefit of those calls in conference play they lose to the 16th, 14th and 13th seed - respectively - in the NCAA tournament over those same 3 years you mentioned. This even more compellingly illustrates my point about how much damage the officiating does them. Then everyone says the B1G is overrated. Self inflicted damage for the conference and by the conference, unfortunately. Can't blame Purdue for taking those easy calls - but it's a crutch that results in a predictable outcome come March.
So your point is that Purdue's wins are attributable to bad officiating and their losses can only be attributable to good officiating?

Purdue shot 9 more free throws than FDU. Edey was 7/11 from the field and 7/10 from the ft line with only 1 foul against him. He wasn't officiated any differently than I had seen all last year, Big Ten or otherwise. They lost because our all-freshman backcourt wore down later in the season and had 10 turnovers against FDU and the team shot under 20% from 3 in that game.

Similarly, when they lost to Northwestern last season, the team had 16 turnovers and shot 23% from 3. When we lost to Northwestern this season, 17 turnover and 26% from 3.

See a pattern? Turnovers and poor shooting often get you beat when combined. Had nothing to do with being officiated differently in the NCAA tournament.

So your point is that Purdue's wins are attributable to bad officiating and their losses can only be attributable to good officiating?

Purdue shot 9 more free throws than FDU. Edey was 7/11 from the field and 7/10 from the ft line with only 1 foul against him. He wasn't officiated any differently than I had seen all last year, Big Ten or otherwise. They lost because our all-freshman backcourt wore down later in the season and had 10 turnovers against FDU and the team shot under 20% from 3 in that game.

Similarly, when they lost to Northwestern last season, the team had 16 turnovers and shot 23% from 3. When we lost to Northwestern this season, 17 turnover and 26% from 3.

See a pattern? Turnovers and poor shooting often get you beat when combined. Had nothing to do with being officiated differently in the NCAA tournament.
You are right. The Boilers get calls in the out of conference games, B1G games, and the tourney.

Thanks for reinforcing my point. Those wins come early in the season before Purdue adjusts to the cozy, coddled reality of B1G officiating. After they get all the benefit of easy calls in conference play they lose to the 16th, 14th and 13th seed - respectively - in the NCAA tournament over those same 3 years you mentioned. This even more compellingly illustrates my point about how much damage the officiating does them. Then everyone says the B1G is overrated. Can't blame Purdue for taking those easy calls - but they lose touch with what real competition is, resulting in a predictable outcome come March.
I’ve been saying this for years. B1G officiating does the league no favors come March.

I’ve been saying this for years. B1G officiating does the league no favors come March.
A wizened gentleman I sat next to during the OSU beatdown (no, not Uber) noted that B1G teams fare poorly in the Dance because the physical play is not tolerated by officials from other conferences. I guess Purdue can be viewed as the Cats orientation for March.

I heard the officials were dressed in black and gold striped uniforms instead of black and white striped uniforms last night. Big ten needs to look into this

My Purdue co worker, damn balanced and reasonable guy, called the FT disparity a bit exaggerated.

He also said his dad, a few years ago, had a heart attack watching a Purdue football game. And that, yesterday, he was himself fearing a heart attack.

So much Purdue love and the dude grew up around Naperville. Has Bears and Cubs merch in his office.

You must have been watching a different game than literally everyone else.
Fans whining about calls in basketball?! Weird and totally objective!

Purdue fans are also whining. Doesn't make either side remotely right. There were definitely a few conspicuously blown calls, but they went both ways. There was a charge that NU drew, for example, that wasn't even CLOSE to not being a block. It was obvious live and reinforced by replay. I'm also pretty sure that in the last 10 seconds of regulation when Buie took the 6th Purdue foul while the ball was poked out that he wasn't actually fouled, the ref blew the whistle before any contact came just assuming and anticipating the foul, and that NU was lucky it wasn't correctly called as a steal likely leading to a game winning Purdue layup. There were a few of these.

Purdue fans are also whining. Doesn't make either side remotely right. There were definitely a few conspicuously blown calls, but they went both ways. There was a charge that NU drew, for example, that wasn't even CLOSE to not being a block. It was obvious live and reinforced by replay. I'm also pretty sure that in the last 10 seconds of regulation when Buie took the 6th Purdue foul while the ball was poked out that he wasn't actually fouled, the ref blew the whistle before any contact came just assuming and anticipating the foul, and that NU was lucky it wasn't correctly called as a steal likely leading to a game winning Purdue layup. There were a few of these.
Purdue fans are whining because they thought their team was a lot better than ours.
They need something to explain the obvious - that they're wrong.
So they complain about the few missed calls against them.
But the refs sucked and detracted from the game.
Unless you enjoy free throw attempts.

SportsCenter just showed that the +38 FT differential was the largest in a Big Ten conference game in at least the last 25 years, lol.
Northwestern shot 40 free throws to Illinois’ 10 just last season at Northwestern. That’s only 30, I guess. Lol I do remember Northwestern fans thinking Illinois fans were crybabies for questioning that discrepancy.

The hook by Jones was a horrible call, though.

Reactions: flight 33
Incredible that Purdue, with the undisputed best player in the nation, needs a +38 differential in foul shots and overtime to beat Northwestern at home. I'm sure their fans were complaining about the measly 8 FTs we got as evidence of how biased the refs were against them.
Largest FT differential in Big Ten in 15 plus years

Northwestern shot 40 free throws to Illinois’ 10 just last season at Northwestern. That’s only 30, I guess. Lol I do remember Northwestern fans thinking Illinois fans were crybabies for questioning that discrepancy.

FIFY. Proven by you being here.

PU’s play style should 100% lead to a ft disparity. Edey draws a ton of contact and the defense does a good job of not fouling. NU also made it’s living from 3’s tonight and that’s not conducive with drawing fouls.

That all being said it doesn’t lead to a disparity that big. I’m not one to complain about refs but man that sucked. To play an awesome game like that from both teams and to just have bad calls down the stretch that take players out of the game and switch momentum is so disappointing.
A FT disparity is one thing but 46-8 is a lot more than a simple disparity. Largest in 15 years

For what its worth, Coach Collins was visibly agitated in the press conference, but complimented Purdue and held it together.
He also said "its tough to win when the other team shoots 50 more free throws than you do" at least 6-7 times.

He really hammered on that. "I don't think I've ever seen a Big Ten game where one team had 50 more free throws than the other team... Wasn't that weird? You guys have been around... Wasn't that weird that one team shot 50 more free throws?"

"If you would have told me that Buie would have a shot to win the game and Purdue shot 50 more free throws than we did, I would have taken that."

He had some other good stuff, all of which was sarcastic.
It wasn't 50 but 38 hasn't happened in BIG in 15 years

BTN had said 15 but if 25 even more ridiculous. Another thing that had not happened in 25 was NU scored over 95, shot 55% and had at least 20 assists and only 10 TO. Something like 760 straight times the team that did that won.

Latest iteration of Rivals box scores is garbage. There is no detailed information like shooting numbers or even fouls

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
It wasn't 50 but 38 hasn't happened in BIG in 15 years
Thats why I enjoyed Collins' press conference.

I think he started with "They shot 50 free throws" (rounding up) and then upgraded that to a flagrant "They shot 50 more free throws than we did."

He repeated that several times and his body language was quite agitated, though his verbal delivery was fairly calm, dripping with sarcasm and a sort of fake incredulity, like "Wow, thats amazing, they had to foul intentionally to get us into the bonus - thats just strange isn't it guys? I mean the refs called so many fouls, but they had to foul intentionally to get us in the bonus.."

There is no doubt that we played aggressively, but not much different than the game played at Welsh-Ryan in December. As Lou pointed out in his tweet, it wasn’t the fouls we made that is questionable but the lack of fouls by Purdue players. Compared to how many fouls they normally commit, it was a statistical anomaly.

It is just a shame that it came down to our big guys fouling out which allowed Edey to shine in OT. In any case, the game showed our victories over Purdue the last two years were not luck and we can go toe-to-toe with them.

We only took 6 more 3s than they did. It's not like we shot 20 more perimeter shots and that's why the fouls were so lopsided.
It wasn't that we were just shooting from outside, Box score shows we took 9 more shots overall and 3 more from inside the arc than they did (of course shots that they were fouled on and missed were not counted). But 39 shots from inside the arc and 66 total and not fouled on basically any shots? (If we had we would have had fewer shots but more FTs)

Reactions: Hkjb

I get your point but please consider this. The game is 40 minutes long, 45 with OT. The way the game was called, the refs did the equivalent of stopping the game every minute and gave Purdue a free throw. This happened in both NU v. Purdue games. It ruins the game and its almost impossible to have it happen twice unless the referees are focused on calling fouls against one team.

This also is not just NU fans bitching, Dick Vitale posted about it on twitter:

Barstool did a post that Edey makes the game unwatchable:

Still, my favorite comment comes form one of our own:

Thats why I enjoyed Collins' press conference.

I think he started with "They shot 50 free throws" (rounding up) and then upgraded that to a flagrant "They shot 50 more free throws than we did."

He repeated that several times and his body language was quite agitated, though his verbal delivery was fairly calm, dripping with sarcasm and a sort of fake incredulity, like "Wow, thats amazing, they had to foul intentionally to get us into the bonus - thats just strange isn't it guys? I mean the refs called so many fouls, but they had to foul intentionally to get us in the bonus.."
Didn’t you know? Stats are for losers.

All the other games in top 20 free throw disparity list were blowouts. Northwestern - Purdue game was only close game on list. Incredible that Northwestern had chance to win game at buzzer despite the ft disparity.

At least 8 of those 40 were intentional fouls because we were winning, so 32-10 compared to 42-8. Not really the same there.

Look at the box score & you’ll see an incredibly evenly matched game, with one glaring exception. Sure, PU beat us on the boards, but they also shot 46(!) free throws to our 8(!). A few very questionable calls (fouls and non-fouls) along the way, including some key ones in crunch time. Proud of the NU effort in spite of the outcome. Actually happy to see Collins let that official have it. Warranted. Purdue fans probably still think the refs were out to get them.

6-4 in the league after those first 10 is an achievement. Beat Minnesota & the rest of them, boys. Cats have their destiny in their own hands.
Collins said before the game that he had three players and 15 fouls he planned to use to stop Edey. Sounds like fouling was part of his game plan.

When you know your guys will be called for fouling when Edey grabs them and pushes them out of his way, you know you're going to use all 15 of their available fouls.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and drewjin
Collins said before the game that he had three players and 15 fouls he planned to use to stop Edey. Sounds like fouling was part of his game plan.
Yes, you all keep bringing up this quote like it's very smart and logical. Clearly because Collins said that it meant that the refs could just assume that's what we would do and blow the whistle all night. Enjoy the win.

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

• Haha
Reactions: EagerFan
I get your point but please consider this. The game is 40 minutes long, 45 with OT. The way the game was called, the refs did the equivalent of stopping the game every minute and gave Purdue a free throw. This happened in both NU v. Purdue games. It ruins the game and its almost impossible to have it happen twice unless the referees are focused on calling fouls against one team.

I don’t disagree in a royal sense on offensive fouls being woefully undercalled in basketball, but that’s not an Edey thing, that’s just a basketball at all levels thing. Why they decided to make charges even harder to draw this year is beyond me.

NU got called for 29 fouls in our first meeting with Purdue compared to 31 in this one. On that end of the floor it was a nearly identical output. Take away the double technical at the end and you have only one more foul shot than the last game. The difference was on the other end where NU was so incandescent from outside, and Buie was having so much trouble inside, that they did very few things to generate a lot of contact for much of the game.

I actually watched the game like four hours late on DVR. I didn’t know anything at all about the game or the result other than there was some kind of very large free throw disparity between the two teams. As a result, I watched most of the game with a particular eye towards how the fouls were getting called, and I kept waiting right up the end for some run out outrageous officiating. Were there some blown calls both way? Yeah, absolutely, and most of them have been discussed here (the one where Edey ransacked Phis defender with his elbow on the way to scoring while drawing a foul was absurd at full speed in real time). It’s also unfortunate one of the worst was right at the end against NU. But frankly at no point during the game did I see a run of calls where NU drew contact and the refs wouldn’t call it. NU is bad at getting to the line and they were REALLY REALLY bad at it last night.

Dude if you think this game was called fairly I’m not sure there’s any hope left, even if your PFF contributions are helpful.

Reactions: hdhntr1

The pattern I see is a 3 consecutive years being good in the pre-season non-conference schedule, and crap in the post season. You mentioned 3 games out of a 3 year period, (in one of those games, stats for just a few players). Looks more like cherry picking than a pattern. My point is that the calls they get in B1G play are apparently not helping, and probably hurting them. And yes those calls have some bearing on their W/L in B1G play. I'll stick with that hypothesis unless there's some real data to refute it.

Last edited:

The actual fouls were better than 2 to 1. Might approach three if they (PU) actually intentionally fouled to get us to shooting FTs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT