ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment 2018 edition

FeliSilvestris

Oct 22, 2004
Planet Earth
Yes, there is a little of this (again). Here is something potentially BIG...Could USC leave the PAC-##?
It seems that a decent case can be made for it to happen...leave for where?
Well, they aren't much lower than ND and probably higher than BYU (even taking into account any LDS effect)...so they could possibly do a BYU on the PAC-## and become independent...probably can make a solid FB schedule based on several former PAC rivals, plus the likes of ND, BYU, etc. plus some "fillers". Their main headache might be placing their Olympic sports...

Of course, just as it has been speculated in the past that UTx plus some neighboring schools could possibly join the PAC, it could possibly work in reverse, with USC (possibly with some 'travel partner') joining TX and others in that region in some reincarnation of the Big 12...why not? USC+UTx + UO would seem a very solid foundation for a league. And if UCLA were to join USC as 'travel partner'...it could actually be huge...LA (+ possibly both AZ schools as 'fillers') + UTx + OU and a few neighboring others would actually form a VERY impressive league...weirdest things have already happened!!

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/11/16741832/usc-pac-12-conference-realignment-lol

Above may be more speculation than anything...but here is something smaller yet far more concrete...Gonzaga (and potentially BYU itself) might join the MWC...the conference has confirmed that it's seriously exploring the addition of Gonzaga plus several others...check it out:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...west-gonzaga-byu-analysis-20180307-story.html

Last edited:
Of course, just as it has been speculated in the past that UTx plus some neighboring schools could possibly join the PAC, it could possibly work in reverse, with USC (possibly with some 'travel partner') joining TX and others in that region in some reincarnation of the Big 12...why not? USC+UTx + UO would seem a very solid foundation for a league. And if UCLA were to join USC as 'travel partner'...it could actually be huge...LA (+ possibly both AZ schools as 'fillers') + UTx + OU and a few neighboring others would actually form a VERY impressive league...weirdest things have already happened!!
Here is why 2023 might be a critical year...and why a move from the PAC12 to the Big12 (NOT the other way around) is not as crazy as you may have thought:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

Here is why 2023 might be a critical year...and why a move from the PAC12 to the Big12 (NOT the other way around) is not as crazy as you may have thought:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling
More arguments for PAC12 to Big 12 moves:

"it is time for well capitalized Oregon and the conference’s big market players in Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, UCLA, USC and Washington to abandon this leaking and listing Pac-12 ship.

It is time to stop carrying small market teams in Corvallis and Pullman and the modest market teams in Tucson and Salt Lake....

Not too long ago, the vast majority of so-called CFB experts projected that it would be the Big 12 that would bite the dust. Now, compared to the Pac-12, the Big 12 is rolling in dough.

In my humble opinion, sooner rather than later, the seven teams listed above should leave the conference, and along with the University of Houston, should associate with the Big 12. This should be under the condition that ESPN agrees to maintain ownership of the Longhorn Network (LHN) and that the LHN be expanded to cover the new, re-branded conference: “The Big – Pac 18?”

Texas would be reasonably compensated for losing its exclusivity. Disney/ESPN would have the incentive of turning an enterprise now in the red into the black. All cable companies would come on board. "

http://fishduck.com/2018/01/oregon-and-pac-12-is-it-time-to-abandon-ship/

BYU has not done much in basketball or football lately. BYU joined the West Coast Conference for basketball and are independent in football. The Zags have dominated the WCC but their RPI has been driven down by being a WCC member which includes a lot of small private Catholic schools like USF and USD. They are looking to join the Mountain West which has more competitive teams and larger arenas. It’s going to be interesting if the WCC can offer enough to keep the Zags in their conference. Having the Zags join along with BYU coming back to the MW would definitely bolster the conference after losing BYU, Utah and TCU.

It is time to stop carrying small market teams in Corvallis and Pullman and the modest market teams in Tucson and Salt Lake....

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that for UWash, Oregon and ASU to leave the conference would require approval from the state legislature or at least an elected board of trustees. I can't imagine them alienating a large voting bloc by abandoning the other major public school in the state.

BYU has not done much in basketball or football lately. BYU joined the West Coast Conference for basketball and are independent in football. The Zags have dominated the WCC but their RPI has been driven down by being a WCC member which includes a lot of small private Catholic schools like USF and USD. They are looking to join the Mountain West which has more competitive teams and larger arenas. It’s going to be interesting if the WCC can offer enough to keep the Zags in their conference. Having the Zags join along with BYU coming back to the MW would definitely bolster the conference after losing BYU, Utah and TCU.
Update on Gonzaga staying on WCC or moving to MWC:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

It appears the Zags will be staying in the WCC after the conference made concessions on scheduling (Zags limit to play weaker WCC teams in order to open up games against nonconference teams) and WCC allowing bigger cut of the NCAA tourney share.) It remains to be seen if this will be enough to retain the Zags in the WCC over the long haul or if the Zags will eventually join the MWC in time. Haven’t heard about BYU coming back to the MWC. I don’t believe to move to the WCC for basketball and being independent in nasketnallnhad worked out for them. I think they counting on an invite to the PAC12 along with Utah. BYU’s athletics seem to be a little lost right now.

Update on Gonzaga staying on WCC or moving to MWC:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...gonzaga-mountain-west-wcc-20180331-story.html

It appears the Zags will be staying in the WCC after the conference made concessions on scheduling...
From the statements, it seems that anything can still happen...I suppose we'll know one way or the other very soon, for obvious reasons...Gonzaga has clearly "outgrown" its current conference (basketball-wise)...their profile fits much better with the MW...
============================
“For next season, it doesn’t look promising,” Thompson said shortly before Loyola Chicago and Michigan tipped off in the first semifinal at the Alamodome. “I’d put it like this: Today is today, none of us can predict tomorrow.

“We’re going to continue to grow our league. We’ll keep improving ourselves and see what happens.”

Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth told the Spokesman-Review newspaper in Spokane, Wash., that, while they were leaning toward remaining in the WCC, negotiations were still ongoing and there had been tentative plans for another meeting early next week.
=============================

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that for UWash, Oregon and ASU to leave the conference would require approval from the state legislature or at least an elected board of trustees. I can't imagine them alienating a large voting bloc by abandoning the other major public school in the state.
You make a good point...I suppose they might still argue that if both state schools are currently screwed up in an unsustainable PAC12, trying to 'save' one of the two (the one in the bigger market) is justified...(and then try to help in whichever way possible the other one to survive in whatever is left of the PAC-#).

I am not convinced myself of the mass move...BUT a negotiated move to the B12 by both PAC# LA schools + a couple of filler/travel-partner-types (possibly Berkeley+ASU to cover the Bay area and increase the footprint) could make a lot of sense for these schools and their new conference...USC/UCLA out west plus UTx/OU in the South-Central would be an excellent foundation for a conference, for many reasons.
P.S. Since Stanford would then be relegated to a (even) 'lesser' conference, this would DEFINITELY strengthen NU's position!!!

Last edited:
Haven’t heard about BYU coming back to the MWC. I don’t believe to move to the WCC for basketball and being independent in nasketnallnhad worked out for them. I think they counting on an invite to the PAC12 along with Utah. BYU’s athletics seem to be a little lost right now.
I think financially, at least, they have come out ahead by negotiating their own TV deal with ESPN. Being independent has allowed them to schedule more "Power 5" teams, and they've won their share of those games in the independent era.

2011 - Ole Miss, Oregon State
2012 - Washington State, Georgia Tech
2013 - Texas, Georgia Tech
2014 - Texas, Virginia, Cal
2015 - Nebraska
2016 - Arizona, Michigan State, Mississippi State

I think last season was the first time they've missed a bowl game as an independent. They've been very respectable as an independent, although they haven't set the world on fire. I would love for NU to schedule a series with them.

I think last season was the first time they've missed a bowl game as an independent. They've been very respectable as an independent, although they haven't set the world on fire. I would love for NU to schedule a series with them.

No thank you. Nothing to be earned there.

No thank you. Nothing to be earned there.
They're a fun opponent, and they're very arrogant so it's very satisfying to beat them. I'd make the trop to Provo to watch the game; beautiful stadium and surroundings, and great atmosphere because they pack it.

the-stadium-changed-their-signage.jpg

We play other private schools (including Rice; what's to be earned there?), so why not BYU?

They're a fun opponent, and they're very arrogant so it's very satisfying to beat them. I'd make the trop to Provo to watch the game; beautiful stadium and surroundings, and great atmosphere because they pack it.

the-stadium-changed-their-signage.jpg

We play other private schools (including Rice; what's to be earned there?), so why not BYU?

You might be one of about 12 people that would make the trip to Provo.

There's not a lot to be gained because we hardly ever match up with BYU on the recruiting trail and they're hardly considered an "academic peer." Plus they play a very physical brand of football, aided by the "mission trips" that their players take.

There's not a lot to be gained because we hardly ever match up with BYU on the recruiting trail and they're hardly considered an "academic peer." Plus they play a very physical brand of football, aided by the "mission trips" that their players take.

I admit it; I'm a fan of great games and great atmospheres. I'd much prefer a series with BYU than our future series with Rice. (How much do we really go head-to-head with Rice on the recruiting trail?) I think we could find more than 12 people to make the trip to Provo for a great game. And I've known quite a few really smart people who went to BYU; they might not be as selective, but many BYU students self-select. I'll bet there are some BYU players who could get through admissions for NU.

I admit it; I'm a fan of great games and great atmospheres. I'd much prefer a series with BYU than our future series with Rice. (How much do we really go head-to-head with Rice on the recruiting trail?) I think we could find more than 12 people to make the trip to Provo for a great game. And I've known quite a few really smart people who went to BYU; they might not be as selective, but many BYU students self-select. I'll bet there are some BYU players who could get through admissions for NU.

The Rice games are in 2024 and 2025. If you can project how good they will be at that point, please let me know and I'll book you a first class flight to Vegas to wager large sums of money on college football. Plus at least Rice is in Houston, where we recruit a lot (generally 8-10 Houston kids on the roster at any given time); not like we're often recruiting the hotbed of Salt Lake City.

Reactions: CatFan_Mike2
The Rice games are in 2024 and 2025. If you can project how good they will be at that point, please let me know and I'll book you a first class flight to Vegas to wager large sums of money on college football. Plus at least Rice is in Houston, where we recruit a lot (generally 8-10 Houston kids on the roster at any given time); not like we're often recruiting the hotbed of Salt Lake City.
However good they are will be less exciting to me than BYU, and they'll be playing in an empty, cavernous Rice Stadium. Just not a good atmosphere for football. Aren't the games supposed to be for the fans?

It is the most beautiful 30 minute drive from my new home that you can imagine and I have guest bedroom so add couple of more.

There should only be 3 super conferences of 20 schools each.

Delany needs to explore roiding up the B1G before the SEC does and needs to raid the pac for the CAL-4 Schools (All AAU) and raid the B12 for TEXA$ and Oklahoma, to form a national coast to coast 20 member conference. CALIFORNIA voters go to the polls in November to vote on establishing permanent daylight savings time. If so then for the football season the CAL-4 would only be 2 hours behind East Coast time.

Here is what the CAL-4 and TEXA$, Oklahoma would bring to the B1G.

1. TV Markets (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso)

2. Academics: USC, UCLA, STANFORD, CALIFORNIA, TEXA$ are all AAU Schools.

3. Inroads to recruiting in CALIFORNIA and TEXA$.

4. Reuniting the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry, while also maintaining the USC-Notre Dame and TEXA$-Oklahoma Rivalries.

5. Three Blue Bloods in USC, TEXA$, Oklahoma.

Here is how the conference would look,

East Division: Atlantic League
Maryland
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

East Division: Mideast League
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

West Division: Pacific League
USC
UCLA
STANFORD
CALIFORNIA
TEXA$

West Division: Midwest League
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin

There should only be 3 super conferences of 20 schools each.

Delany needs to explore roiding up the B1G before the SEC does and needs to raid the pac for the CAL-4 Schools (All AAU) and raid the B12 for TEXA$ and Oklahoma, to form a national coast to coast 20 member conference. CALIFORNIA voters go to the polls in November to vote on establishing permanent daylight savings time. If so then for the football season the CAL-4 would only be 2 hours behind East Coast time.

Here is what the CAL-4 and TEXA$, Oklahoma would bring to the B1G.

1. TV Markets (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, El Paso)

2. Academics: USC, UCLA, STANFORD, CALIFORNIA, TEXA$ are all AAU Schools.

3. Inroads to recruiting in CALIFORNIA and TEXA$.

4. Reuniting the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry, while also maintaining the USC-Notre Dame and TEXA$-Oklahoma Rivalries.

5. Three Blue Bloods in USC, TEXA$, Oklahoma.

Here is how the conference would look,

East Division: Atlantic League
Maryland
Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Rutgers

East Division: Mideast League
Illinois
Indiana
Michigan State
Purdue
Northwestern

West Division: Pacific League
USC
UCLA
STANFORD
CALIFORNIA
TEXA$

West Division: Midwest League
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Minnesota
Iowa
Wisconsin

Rutgers isn't happy with the alignment now and you're going to stick them in a five-team division with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State? I don't think they (or Maryland for that matter) would be thrilled. I doubt Cal would like its surroundings, either.

Yes, there is a little of this (again). Here is something potentially BIG...Could USC leave the PAC-##?
It seems that a decent case can be made for it to happen...leave for where?
Well, they aren't much lower than ND and probably higher than BYU (even taking into account any LDS effect)...so they could possibly do a BYU on the PAC-## and become independent...probably can make a solid FB schedule based on several former PAC rivals, plus the likes of ND, BYU, etc. plus some "fillers". Their main headache might be placing their Olympic sports...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/11/16741832/usc-pac-12-conference-realignment-lol

Above may be more speculation than anything...but here is something smaller yet far more concrete...Gonzaga (and potentially BYU itself) might join the MWC...the conference has confirmed that it's seriously exploring the addition of Gonzaga plus several others...check it out:
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...west-gonzaga-byu-analysis-20180307-story.html

I'm not ready to buy anything unless PurpleBookCat has something to say.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Rutgers isn't happy with the alignment now and you're going to stick them in a five-team division with Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State? I don't think they (or Maryland for that matter) would be thrilled. I doubt Cal would like its surroundings, either.

Rutgers doesn't get to complain. They're lucky they're even part of these conversations.

Also, I would love our league (IL, IU, MSU, and PU). Now that's a league we can win.

When the pac implodes, CALIFORNIA might not have a choice and will do what USC, The Dollies and the Uclans do. Rutgers who? Are they a B1G school?

Best option for the Pac-12 is to expand to 16 with AFA, BYU, UNLV and Hawaii. Note that UNLV will be sharing a new stadium with the raiders.

raiders-stadium.png

The conference will then have eight pairs of natural rivals: Wash-WSU; Oregon-OSU; Cal-Stanford; USC-UCLA; AZ-ASU; UT-BYU; AFA-Colorado and (kind of a stretch) Hawaii-UNLV. FYI, Hawaii and UNLV actually do have an annual rivalry and play for a traveling trophy. The game is called the Battle for the Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Island_Showdown

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT