ADVERTISEMENT

Conference realignment 2018 edition

Best option for the Pac-12 is to expand to 16 with AFA, BYU, UNLV and Hawaii. Note that UNLV will be sharing a new stadium with the raiders.

raiders-stadium.png

The conference will then have eight pairs of natural rivals: Wash-WSU; Oregon-OSU; Cal-Stanford; USC-UCLA; AZ-ASU; UT-BYU; AFA-Colorado and (kind of a stretch) Hawaii-UNLV. FYI, Hawaii and UNLV actually do have an annual rivalry and play for a traveling trophy. The game is called the Battle for the Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Island_Showdown

Because who doesn't watch two "mediocre to terrible" G5 teams duke it out annually?

Because who doesn't watch two "mediocre to terrible" G5 teams duke it out annually?
Thing is, P12 Network needs to expand its footprint and both LV and HI will be HUGE draws for all of those P12 fans when they play away games at either place. This is about marketing, not top ten football.

Best option for the Pac-12 is to expand to 16 with AFA, BYU, UNLV and Hawaii. Note that UNLV will be sharing a new stadium with the raiders.

raiders-stadium.png

The conference will then have eight pairs of natural rivals: Wash-WSU; Oregon-OSU; Cal-Stanford; USC-UCLA; AZ-ASU; UT-BYU; AFA-Colorado and (kind of a stretch) Hawaii-UNLV. FYI, Hawaii and UNLV actually do have an annual rivalry and play for a traveling trophy. The game is called the Battle for the Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:Island_Showdown
The problem is nothing changes. These are schools that are not AAU schools and are not on the same level academically as the CAL-4 schools or Washington. Bringing those schools does nothing to enhance the demand or image of the pac brand. The current pac schools outside of the CAL-4 already require that they play in LA and The Bay area every year for recruiting purposes. This has resulted in splitting up the CAL-4 into separate divisions. It's bringing in more mouths to feed. What do they bring to the table? Recruiting? Tradition? Academics? History? Tv Markets? Large Stadiums? Are they big TV draws? It would be like the B1G expanding and bringing in members of the MAC. Same thing.
The only thing that can save the pac is TEXA$ and Oklahoma. Time to move on with our TV Markets and recruiting and move to a better conference like the B1G or B12. Let the pac bring in UNLV, Hawaii, Air Force and C-state and fend for themselves without the CAL-4. There is something wrong when Vanderbilt and Maryland are making more money than USC.

What if USC left the pac alone?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/11/16741832/usc-pac-12-conference-realignment-lol

Last edited:
The problem is nothing changes. These are schools that are not AAU schools and are not on the same level academically as the CAL-4 schools or Washington. Bringing those schools does nothing to enhance the demand or image of the pac brand. The current pac schools outside of the CAL-4 already require that they play in LA and The Bay area every year for recruiting purposes. This has resulted in splitting up the CAL-4 into separate divisions. It's bringing in more mouths to feed. What do they bring to the table? Recruiting? Tradition? Academics? History? Tv Markets? Large Stadiums? Are they big TV draws? It would be like the B1G expanding and bringing in members of the MAC. Same thing.
The only thing that can save the pac is TEXA$ and Oklahoma. Time to move on with our TV Markets and recruiting and move to a better conference like the B1G or B12. Let the pac bring in UNLV, Hawaii, Air Force and C-state and fend for themselves without the CAL-4. There is something wrong when Vanderbilt and Maryland are making more money than USC.

What if USC left the pac alone?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/11/16741832/usc-pac-12-conference-realignment-lol
AAU? Is your bosom buddy Notre Dame in the AAU?

The P12 Network is a train wreck. Scotty didn't beam anyone up, he screwed the pooch, Big Time. The P12 Network needs a Sugar Daddy like ESPN or Fox.

I'm going to copy and paste from another thread on this forum:

"But they may just move to non-divisions with "3-4 protected games" for each school and the rest of the schedule rotate among the remaining 12-13 teams. The problem with divisions of 8 is that 7 of your games are locked every year. Only 2 games rotate through the other division. Hard to call it a conference when you're playing the other division so rarely, though the SEC and ACC still stick to that number."

My response:

"I agree, your proposal would best preserve all traditional rivalries and facilitate schools playing those in geographical proximity. I'd go with five each. Examples are:

Rutgers - MD, PS, OS, MS, Pur
Texas - OU, Neb, Iowa, IL, IN
Minny - WI, Iowa, Neb, NW, UM

"It also makes a good ten-game conference schedule. Each team would have five annual opponents and ten schools who are not. Play five of them one year, the other five the next year."

And that's what the P12 should do. Expand to 16, five protected rivalries for each school. Using USC as an example, your five protected rivalries would be UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Hawaii and Arizona. Or perhaps UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UNLV and Arizona State. Same same.

AAU? Is your bosom buddy Notre Dame in the AAU?

The P12 Network is a train wreck. Scotty didn't beam anyone up, he screwed the pooch, Big Time. The P12 Network needs a Sugar Daddy like ESPN or Fox.

I'm going to copy and paste from another thread on this forum:

"But they may just move to non-divisions with "3-4 protected games" for each school and the rest of the schedule rotate among the remaining 12-13 teams. The problem with divisions of 8 is that 7 of your games are locked every year. Only 2 games rotate through the other division. Hard to call it a conference when you're playing the other division so rarely, though the SEC and ACC still stick to that number."

My response:

"I agree, your proposal would best preserve all traditional rivalries and facilitate schools playing those in geographical proximity. I'd go with five each. Examples are:

Rutgers - MD, PS, OS, MS, Pur
Texas - OU, Neb, Iowa, IL, IN
Minny - WI, Iowa, Neb, NW, UM

"It also makes a good ten-game conference schedule. Each team would have five annual opponents and ten schools who are not. Play five of them one year, the other five the next year."

And that's what the P12 should do. Expand to 16, five protected rivalries for each school. Using USC as an example, your five protected rivalries would be UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Hawaii and Arizona. Or perhaps UCLA, Cal, Stanford, UNLV and Arizona State. Same same.

The train has come and gone for this conference. I have no desire to expand unless it's with Marquee Blue Bloods like TEXA$ and Oklahoma. We have a network that is worthless, a TV contract that pays the least of all the P5 and you're asking to bring in schools like Hawaii and UNLV which bring nothing to the table. Years ago people said to expand. The pac expanded and we're no better off now then we were before expansion. We're still behind the B1G. SEC, B12. The only thing left is to explore the alternative of going Indy and hope when the next round of TV contracts comes up that the B12 will expand and pic the pac apart. Do unto other conferences as they tried to do to you.

The train has come and gone for this conference. I have no desire to expand unless it's with Marquee Blue Bloods like TEXA$ and Oklahoma. We have a network that is worthless, a TV contract that pays the least of all the P5 .
Right. Why would Texas and Oklahoma go to a conference with a "worthless" TV network and half a continent away?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT