ADVERTISEMENT

Construction Update on the Football Facility

Max_Power

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The steel frame is up for the north side of the project (what looks like a giant hallway that comes out next to the entrance of the parking garage). There is also progress on the foundation but its much harder to see from the street. They poured concrete for a long time. No visible structure for the actual field yet. It still is really hard to visualize how all the pieces fit together but the new structure is really just being built around the pools and the indoor tennis facility. This is the section that is framed:

North%20entry.jpg

I have heard all sorts of interesting rumors about facilities including one that after the pieces start coming together, NU will make an announcement on Ryan Field improvements. I have also heard a rumor that everything is behind schedule right now for a number of reasons. We'll see.

The Kellogg building looks to be nearing completion on time. The dorm on Lincoln continues to make progress and to blot out the sun - it's huge compared to the buildings around it - and it looks like the brick work will be finished soon. There are construction crews on campus 7 days a week. Seems they never stop working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
The steel frame is up for the north side of the project (what looks like a giant hallway that comes out next to the entrance of the parking garage). There is also progress on the foundation but its much harder to see from the street. They poured concrete for a long time. No visible structure for the actual field yet. It still is really hard to visualize how all the pieces fit together but the new structure is really just being built around the pools and the indoor tennis facility. This is the section that is frame Delays and more delays. The Cubs have basically rebuilt an entire ballpark in two off seasons.
North%20entry.jpg

I have heard all sorts of interesting rumors about facilities including one that after the pieces start coming together, NU will make an announcement on Ryan Field improvements. I have also heard a rumor that everything is behind schedule right now for a number of reasons. We'll see.

The Kellogg building looks to be nearing completion on time. The dorm on Lincoln continues to make progress and to blot out the sun - it's huge compared to the buildings around it - and it looks like the brick work will be finished soon. There are construction crews on campus 7 days a week. Seems they never stop working.

It's a rendering not a photo. First building you will see turning from the water treatment plant. Unbelievably better than when they were considering adding more space along the lake frontage, completely blocking off the view. Exciting.

Reactions: JournCat
It would seem that football facility may be operable in 2018? What other rumors could
possibly be out there with Lakeside project and W.R. redo? How much $$$ could possibly
be available for Ryan Field improvements? Appreciate info on current project status!

October 2018. geez, they haven't even started construction yet!

August 2018. In my experience the foundation takes the most time, and if and they're putting up the steel frame, this sounds like a conservative estimate.

That looks fake.

I took that pic yesterday. I'm hurt.
He asked about the Arena, not the Lakeside facility.

What I was told is the issue is not so much with WR but more with moving basketball (and I would think volleyball and wrestling) into the current football facility. Lots of moving pieces in that regard. It just comes down to what becomes of the current football offices and adjoining indoor field. If Football can't move until 2018, basketball has to operate entirely out of Welsh-Ryan for at least a year after the rehab is completed in fall 2017. I would think it would take at least a year to repurpose the central street facility so then you are looking at basketball not getting a new practice home until 2019.

If you've ever been into the practice facility at WR, its best described as quaint. The locker rooms and meeting room were not up to Power 5 standards for men or women from day 1 but were a massive upgrade from what preceded them. The locker rooms and offices are housed in a building within a building in Welsh-Ryan. It's very odd but was really all they could do with the limited budget at the time. Anyway, I expect that as part of the renovation, the existing structure inside W-R will be torn down.

August 2018. In my experience the foundation takes the most time, and if and they're putting up the steel frame, this sounds like a conservative estimate.
It would be nice if the guys could come back from Kenosha and move in. That would be a non disruptive bit of timing. I hate to think that they would try to transition into the new facility during the 2018 season.

It would be nice if the guys could come back from Kenosha and move in. That would be a non disruptive bit of timing. I hate to think that they would try to transition into the new facility during the 2018 season.

Even in-season, it would be a VERY welcome transition.

21 months from now to complete. About right. No, that isn't conservative - bad winters, constricted site, a lot of construction remaining. They will be doing good to complete by then. Undoubtedly want to get into the facility for football season. In case anyone cares, I have spent my career constructing buildings including a few of similar size and complexity.

21 months from now to complete. About right.

They broke ground 12 months ago, and as recently as the WRA renovation announcement Dr. Jim spoke about completion in "18 months". So something has slipped for the project to last for 33 months......

Continue to wonder why a gym could not be added to the building as a practice facility fro men's and womens basketball?? wouldnt seem to take up much more space.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT