ADVERTISEMENT

Danny Kanell

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
I do not begrudge Danny Kanell making our game his 40-point-lock. Given how the teams matched up on paper, it was reasonable. Most of us could give a pretty good breakdown of the match-up that would justify that call. It also could be justified based on comparative wins and losses.

But to give as his reasoning that the players would not be motivated and would just be glad to be there? A Pat Fitzgerald team? Really?

Maybe we should thank him for extra motivation to the team. Many of the players tweeted "Happy to be here."

Reactions: epicbret
I'm not losing any sleep over this, but I feel like the post-game storyline of proving a b-level ESPN analyst wrong isn't a great look for us. It's one thing for it to be a one-off mention during the press conference, but Fitz mentioning it twice (and with a fair amount of bitterness) along with social media mentions from playera, it's become an awkwardly prominent detail that I'll be happy to see fade into the background.

Reactions: NJCat
I'm not losing any sleep over this, but I feel like the post-game storyline of proving a b-level ESPN analyst wrong isn't a great look for us. It's one thing for it to be a one-off mention during the press conference, but Fitz mentioning it twice (and with a fair amount of bitterness) along with social media mentions from playera, it's become an awkwardly prominent detail that I'll be happy to see fade into the background.
Fitz knows a lot of these ESPN personalities personally and to me it came across as Fitz having some fun with guys he knows. I guess I thought it was funny.

Fitz knows a lot of these ESPN personalities personally and to me it came across as Fitz having some fun with guys he knows. I guess I thought it was funny.

I thought it was funny too. But I agree with Sheff that if you don't follow Fitz you might think he was just another petty head ball coach.

I follow Fitz and I still feel that way a bit. It'll be fine if it stops here, though.

Fitz tends to speak in coach-speak a lot and rarely varies from it which can make him come across as 2-dimensional. I personally thought that his mentioning and laughing at Kanell was surprising, interesting, ESPN loved it because it was one of their personalities, and it made him more 3D. Strong positive to me.

Last edited:
I do not begrudge Danny Kanell making our game his 40-point-lock. Given how the teams matched up on paper, it was reasonable. Most of us could give a pretty good breakdown of the match-up that would justify that call. It also could be justified based on comparative wins and losses.

But to give as his reasoning that the players would not be motivated and would just be glad to be there? A Pat Fitzgerald team? Really?
Anyone have a link?

DK is a prime example of the stupidity that results from playing armchair sports psychologists. Some of the dumbest things ever writ have their origins in misconceived forays into the pseudo science of sports psychology. Kanell offers a cautionary tale to us all.

proving a b-level ESPN analyst wrong isn't a great look for us
Better look than his turtleneck plus the flat top.......he is fashionably representing 3 different generations.........from Grease to Love Story to original Sports Center.....I think this represents some psychological confusion and mental instability......If I had to give his fashion a tag or look it would be the guy from Animal House Neidermeyer.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Better look than his turtleneck plus the flat top.......he is fashionably representing 3 different generations.........from Grease to Love Story to original Sports Center.....I think this represents some psychological confusion and mental instability......If I had to give his fashion a tag or look it would be the guy from Animal House Neidermeyer.
Ha!

At my wedding, my brother roasted me by describing my wardrobe as "Euro chic Mod Squad meets Brooks Brothers at a lumberjack fest."

But Kanell has me beat with that crew cut.

Fitz isn't hokey like the ol ball coach. He's kinda stiff in a small dorky kinda way. Actually that's one reason why I think he is 100% genuine and real. I have to believe that if he is one of the ten coaches that enters a family's home to recruit, he is the only one that comes off 100% genuine without hesitation or reservation. His humor is definitely of the dry variety.

Ha!

At my wedding, my brother roasted me by describing my wardrobe as "Euro chic Mod Squad meets Brooks Brothers at a lumberjack fest."

But Kanell has me beat with that crew cut.

Crew cuts are hot!

He, Pitt is a solid team and had some good wins, but they gave up a million points, lost 4 games, and were ranked 23rd. For that team to be the 40 point lock means that he thinks we are the absolute weakest bowl team. I was pissed when he said it just as I was pissed when people said tennessee (correctly) and Auburn (incorrectly) would roll over us.

I have no trouble with Fitz on this one. Part of Kanell's schtick appears to be completely dissing the B1G (predicted the league wouldn't win a single bowl game last year), and he had to eat it this time.

"Who is this Hungry Jack guy, and why should I care?"
Danny-Kanell-November-turtleneck.jpg

Remember The Waterboy? Didn't he used to say something about winning with grace and losing with dignity?

http://campussports.net/2016/12/28/...ely-trolls-danny-kanell-after-pinstripe-bowl/

The more I listen to Kanell (on the radio), the more I'm convinced that he's not particularly bright.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT