ADVERTISEMENT

Delaney better be on the phone to Claeys

3 targeting ejections in one year on one player time for Delaney to ban this player and position coach and coordinator for institutionalized violence

Seven targeting calls is a pattern.

Claeys is going to say this is a problem caused by changing rules and super hi def replay, that the problem is with the league needing to better clarify and enforce the rules...

By the way the early hit on Skowronek by Winfield was a clear PF. After the ball left Skowronek's hands Winfield took 3 steps and launched into Skow's defenseless body. No call. It wasn't helmet to helmet but that is not the rule with defenseless receivers.

Just imagine what they're going to try to do to Wisconsin players. Claeys will call it "hard nosed football."

Last edited:
Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Claeys is going to say this is a problem caused by changing rules and super hi def replay, that the problem is with the league needing to better clarify and enforce the rules...

By the way the early hit on Skowronek by Winfield was a clear PF. After the ball left Skowronek's hands Winfield took 3 steps and launched into Skow's defenseless body. No call. It wasn't helmet to helmet but that is not the rule with defenseless receivers.

Just imagine what they're going to try to do to Wisconsin players. Claeys will call it "hard nosed football."

If Minny tries to target any of Wisky's best players at Wisky, I am fairly certain there will be a riot.

Seven targeting calls is a pattern.
It's football at the D1 level. Aggressive is part of the deal. He didn't launch. If you played the game you'd understand. Was it a violation per rule? Yes. Will he pay the penalty? Yes. You run under routes you're gonna get drilled. In any event, the Cats lost because they weren't ready to play today. The rest is just to make certain posters feel better. Kinda like what I hear from my my teen age daughters with regularity.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
It's football at the D1 level. Aggressive is part of the deal. He didn't launch. If you played the game you'd understand. Was it a violation per rule? Yes. Will he pay the penalty? Yes. You run under routes you're gonna get drilled. In any event, the Cats lost because they weren't ready to play today. The rest is just to make certain posters feel better. Kinda like what I hear from my my teen age daughters with regularity.

They were leafing with their helmets all game. Check out Jackson's screen that he dropped shortly after the targeting ejection. After the drop, they guy leads with his helmet, and fortunately was a little off target, just hitting the bottom part of Jackson's helmet. Jackson just looked at him incredulously, like "didn't you just see your teammate get ejected for targeting?". It IS a problem with his team. And their coach better figure it out by next week, because Wisky is not going to put up with that nonsense in their house...

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Who effing cares.

It's for the axe. You don't think wiscy plays dirty? Run film over last 10 years.
Presuming you are a Minn fan, YOU should care. Perhaps you don't care about the well being of the opponent's players, but if, due to inability to follow the rules as written, your players start causing losses, you will care.

Also do a little concussion research. 20 YO kids shouldn't be sacrificing their future mental health for dear ole alma mater

Who effing cares.

It's for the axe. You don't think wiscy plays dirty? Run film over last 10 years.

Crazy talk, I don't think we've had one targeting call this season, Cichy had one last year on a questionable call and Cichy us NOT a dirty player, no pattern of late hits or dirty plays/ targeting in recent memory, maybe a penalty here or there like everybody else but if we had any, they were dealt with.

If not for the impact it would have on us in the B1GCG, I wouldn't have minded picking up our first targeting call of the season against the Goofs next week! :)

If not for the impact it would have on us in the B1GCG, I wouldn't have minded picking up our first targeting call of the season against the Goofs next week! :)

Well, the one guy on the Gophers (McGhee) who has now attempted to seriously injure two of the best WRs on opposing teams this season (Carr and Malik Turner from Illinois) now has to sit for the first half of your game. If coach Claeys is smart, he won't play him the second half either. since if McGhee targets Jazz I have a feeling he will rue the day he did that....

While I'd like to tell you that my Gophers don't have a policy of trying to get their players ejected from games, I have to admit that Minnesota fans are perplexed by the number of targeting calls against our guys.

Some are legit, like the two against McGee and one against Poock earlier this season, several have been bogus. The most egregious of those was against Nick Rallis in the Purdue game, when he clearly didn't target, no penalty was called on the play, but a flag was thrown as they lined up for the next play. There was also a rinky dink call in the first game of the Gophers' season, a game in which three Gophers were ejected for targeting, though only one (Poock) was clearly right and the other two were (1) questionable and (1) clearly wrong.

At the same time, there have been a few missed calls when our QB was targeted, particularly in the Ohio State game last year and the Iowa game this year.

Put it all together and the targeting rule has become pretty unpopular in the land of 10,000 Gopher fans.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
While I'd like to tell you that my Gophers don't have a policy of trying to get their players ejected from games, I have to admit that Minnesota fans are perplexed by the number of targeting calls against our guys.

Some are legit, like the two against McGee and one against Poock earlier this season, several have been bogus. The most egregious of those was against Nick Rallis in the Purdue game, when he clearly didn't target, no penalty was called on the play, but a flag was thrown as they lined up for the next play. There was also a rinky dink call in the first game of the Gophers' season, a game in which three Gophers were ejected for targeting, though only one (Poock) was clearly right and the other two were (1) questionable and (1) clearly wrong.

At the same time, there have been a few missed calls when our QB was targeted, particularly in the Ohio State game last year and the Iowa game this year.

Put it all together and the targeting rule has become pretty unpopular in the land of 10,000 Gopher fans.
So maybe your coaching staff should stop encouraging it.

Somehow I get the impression that you only read about five words from my previous post, which you quoted in full.

No, he may be referencing Claeys' pretty dismissive attitude to the media regarding the targeting calls. Only one was questionable. It is clearly a pattern that is either coached (push the envelope with your aggressiveness) or lack of coaching the safer hitting techniques.

Winfield the true frosh clearly targeted Skowronek early in the game but it wasn't called.

JJ got targeted on a screen pass with a helmet to helmet launch but it was a glancing blow so it wasn't called.

Seems like this kind of play is Minny's MO which may have been acceptable years ago but now is just kind of sickening with what we know about chronic head trauma.

Seriously, this should prompt a rule allowing the league office to extend suspensions for repeat offenders. A second targeting ejection should be at least a 2 game suspension. A third should be even more harsh. And if a team gets this many in a season there should be a fine for the defensive coaches or an equivalent dollar amount withheld from the B1G "profit sharing."

No, he may be referencing Claeys' pretty dismissive attitude to the media regarding the targeting calls. Only one was questionable. It is clearly a pattern that is either coached (push the envelope with your aggressiveness) or lack of coaching the safer hitting techniques.

Winfield the true frosh clearly targeted Skowronek early in the game but it wasn't called.

JJ got targeted on a screen pass with a helmet to helmet launch but it was a glancing blow so it wasn't called.

Seems like this kind of play is Minny's MO which may have been acceptable years ago but now is just kind of sickening with what we know about chronic head trauma.

Seriously, this should prompt a rule allowing the league office to extend suspensions for repeat offenders. A second targeting ejection should be at least a 2 game suspension. A third should be even more harsh. And if a team gets this many in a season there should be a fine for the defensive coaches or an equivalent dollar amount withheld from the B1G "profit sharing."

This makes sense. A guy has to learn new technique or he can't play. It will ruin football if the sport doesn't take every avenue available to reduce concussions.

Well, the one guy on the Gophers (McGhee) who has now attempted to seriously injure two of the best WRs on opposing teams this season (Carr and Malik Turner from Illinois) now has to sit for the first half of your game. If coach Claeys is smart, he won't play him the second half either. since if McGhee targets Jazz I have a feeling he will rue the day he did that....

Wow, internet tough guy, are you the commander of the Madison Vigilante Force? What is going to happen on Saturday if Duke is called for targeting is that we will be suspended for the first half of an upcoming Bowl Game.

All your worthless Wisconsin students, who show up in the second quarter for all games will be off for break anyway, and the rest of the fans are blue hairs, obese, or too intoxicated to jump the rail and storm the field to attack the Minnesota bench, or something like that. Maybe your band will attack and trample Duke with their "stop at the top", clarinet up the backside marching style. Or maybe one of the tuba playing women in the band will sit on him.

This is the third silly post you have made about what will "happen" in a targeting call would occur. What exactly would happen?

Reactions: IGNORE2
I watch a lot of SEC games, and the SEC officials seem to call targeting at a much less frequent pace than what we are seeing in the Big Ten. Duke McGhee's calls were legitimate, but as another poster pointed out some of the others against Minnesota this year were very suspect.

The "targeting' call in general is suspect and almost impossible to fairly administrate when defenders have already shifted their weight and/or left their feet, when the "defenseless" receiver suddenly lowers his head or shifts position resulting in contract above the shoulders. Hell, even when the player gets hit in the chest, the officials sometimes make the call in the Big Ten.

I expect there will be some changes to this rule for next year, which is a general comment, not a reaction the #8/ #80 collision last week.

Wow, internet tough guy, are you the commander of the Madison Vigilante Force? What is going to happen on Saturday if Duke is called for targeting is that we will be suspended for the first half of an upcoming Bowl Game.

All your worthless Wisconsin students, who show up in the second quarter for all games will be off for break anyway, and the rest of the fans are blue hairs, obese, or too intoxicated to jump the rail and storm the field to attack the Minnesota bench, or something like that. Maybe your band will attack and trample Duke with their "stop at the top", clarinet up the backside marching style. Or maybe one of the tuba playing women in the band will sit on him.

This is the third silly post you have made about what will "happen" in a targeting call would occur. What exactly would happen?

I was referring to what the Wisconsin PLAYERS would do if Peavy is targeted. Don't expect them to just say "thank you" when their star WR is targeted....

I watch a lot of SEC games, and the SEC officials seem to call targeting at a much less frequent pace than what we are seeing in the Big Ten. Duke McGhee's calls were legitimate, but as another poster pointed out some of the others against Minnesota this year were very suspect.

The "targeting' call in general is suspect and almost impossible to fairly administrate when defenders have already shifted their weight and/or left their feet, when the "defenseless" receiver suddenly lowers his head or shifts position resulting in contract above the shoulders. Hell, even when the player gets hit in the chest, the officials sometimes make the call in the Big Ten.

I expect there will be some changes to this rule for next year, which is a general comment, not a reaction the #8/ #80 collision last week.

Dude, watch the tape, First time.McGhee almost breaks Turner's neck, then celebrates his hit will Turner is obviously unconscious on the ground. And he then "learned his lesson" by taking a cheap shot against our star WR that he could have easily avoided. Both were two of the most obvious targeting calls you would ever see. Two games, two star WRs,

This kind of response might indicate that you have taken a few to many hits to the head as well. What don't you understand about not targeting a defenseless? Concussions are serious business and can ruin someone's life. If there are changes next season, hopefully these type of hits receive even more punishment not less. Certain coaches should also stop letting their players go head hits or they should also be suspended.

This kind of response might indicate that you have taken a few to many hits to the head as well. What don't you understand about not targeting a defenseless? Concussions are serious business and can ruin someone's life. If there are changes next season, hopefully these type of hits receive even more punishment not less. Certain coaches should also stop letting their players go head hits or they should also be suspended.

Pogey doesn't understand the rule, and also doesn't like when it is fairly applied to his team. A spearing hit to the chest on a defenseless receiver well after the ball has left his hands is still targeting for multiple reasons. 1) It is gratuitous and unnecessary to put players in danger when it is clearly just to deliver a hit, 2) it can still cause significant injury to the defenseless receiver, and 3) please remember that part of the reason for this rule is that it can also cause injury to the hitter if they are continuing to spear people helmet first. I have seen instances where the defender goes in to spear helmet to helmet, and the defender himself is concussed or otherwise injured by the hit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT