ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul COVID Issues, No game this weekend

I assume they want a bit of a tough game to replace DePaul. Any chance Loyola would play with a game against Norfolk State at home on Sunday?

Valpo hasn't played in a week and doesn't play until Monday. Same with Milwaukee, and they don't play until Thurs the 23rd. That would be fun!

I assume they want a bit of a tough game to replace DePaul. Any chance Loyola would play with a game against Norfolk State at home on Sunday?

Valpo hasn't played in a week and doesn't play until Monday. Same with Milwaukee, and they don't play until Thurs the 23rd. That would be fun!

Doubt it on Loyola. My son goes there, they have goofy finals schedules. He has 2 on Saturday including one from 5:30-7:30 (had one last night 8-10PM).

A couple hours ago, I heard from our friend, the rock-solid source, it will be Lewis University or no one.

I hope the fluidity of the situation and the sudden holes in many schedules will change that idea.

Reactions: cats_man_too
A couple hours ago, I heard from our friend, the rock-solid source, it will be Lewis University or no one.

I hope the fluidity of the situation and the sudden holes in many schedules will change that idea.

Not west. And surely not a blockbuster. Bummer if true. Was hoping for a Pac12 matchup. On the bright side we might see MN get a few minutes of mop up duty.

Reactions: cats_man_too

Ultimately, it may be too challenging logistically to have everything align. Still hoping, but looking dim now it seems.

Covid is insane right now. I feel like I know so many people with it, luckily all doing well but I’m so over it. Just go away already.
It's running amok. For the vaccinated, it seems like a mild cold. For the unvaccinated, yikes.

As for the game, I would love to see a scrimmage in its place: Matt Nicholson vs. the 5 starters. That would be a good matchup.

It's running amok. For the vaccinated, it seems like a mild cold. For the unvaccinated, yikes.

As for the game, I would love to see a scrimmage in its place: Matt Nicholson vs. the 5 starters. That would be a good matchup.
I think Nicholson might need at least a little help in that scenario. I nominate Ben Johnson!

Reactions: IGNORE2
So disappointing. Wake me up on Jan 2nd when Izzo's crew comes to town I guess.

From an NU email tonight ...

"... We are still seeking another home game this season. Further details will be provided when available."

NU should be willing to cancel Monday’s game to find an opponent this week. Of course, with 10 days originally scheduled off, I imagine the players were going to get at least a few days away.

Anyway, St. John’s just won their Monday game against Seton Hall by forfeit. It was an SJU home game, but maybe they’d be willing to come to Evanston. And Alabama just had their ‘neutral site’ (Birmingham) game Tuesday against Colorado State postponed. Seems to be little downside in NU traveling to play a top ten opponent.

Tuesday’s game is the inaugural CM Newton classic, named for the Alabama hoops coach and AD who helped recruited the first black basketball player to the SEC, and who had the first all-black SEC starting five.

There are educational events for the players around the game. NU should investigate it.

Questions: We've seen teams cancel, and lately I've heard the term forfeit being used. 1) When does each happen? 2) Also saw that Depaul is planning to play Creighton on Monday Dec 20? How the heck does their Covid protocol & timeline allow that? The lack of transparency is frustrating.

Questions: We've seen teams cancel, and lately I've heard the term forfeit being used. 1) When does each happen? 2) Also saw that Depaul is planning to play Creighton on Monday Dec 20? How the heck does their Covid protocol & timeline allow that? The lack of transparency is frustrating.
I believe that forfeit guidelines are set by the conference and that is why Seton Hall was a forfeit loss to St. John. Probably worth looking into what the Big Ten policy is going to be with how things are currently going.

Some conferences have ruled Covid cancels as forfeit losses for teams that have to opt out of playing. At least for now - wonder if that will change with how rampant it is right now. For non conference games I think all of them are viewed as cancellations, not forfeits? Though not certain there. However it’s worth noting that the NCAA views it as a “no contest” for their NET rankings (and for the inputs to that which I think includes KenPom). So for the numbers the selection committee looks at, a Covid cancellation won’t hurt your resume.

Reactions: Pete Purple
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT