ADVERTISEMENT

Difficult for NU to have a winning team every year!

mpfeiler

Jun 16, 2006
Northwestern has always had a problem having a winning football team year after year. It starts because NU is a “World Class” University! Nearly 35,000 student apply every year to get 2000 spots in the freshmen class. Many of the football players choose NU for the education and the graduation rate; not the winning football team. They get a $280,000 free education and great job after. I get it! It is why I pay for my daughter to attend. But it does not help NU have a great football team every year. Other Big Ten schools have 3-5 players transfer every year because they are not playing. No body leaves Northwestern. Why should they? But not every kid is going to turn into a D-1 stud. But with only 85 schollies available and walk-on players paying $70K a year to go to school. It makes it difficult for NU coaches when they miss on a kid. They have that kid for 4-5 years holding a scholly. I am not saying that NU is doing it wrong. It just means it is harder for NU to compete and win every year.

Northwestern has always had a problem having a winning football team year after year. It starts because NU is a “World Class” University! Nearly 35,000 student apply every year to get 2000 spots in the freshmen class. Many of the football players choose NU for the education and the graduation rate; not the winning football team. They get a $280,000 free education and great job after. I get it! It is why I pay for my daughter to attend. But it does not help NU have a great football team every year. Other Big Ten schools have 3-5 players transfer every year because they are not playing. No body leaves Northwestern. Why should they? But not every kid is going to turn into a D-1 stud. But with only 85 schollies available and walk-on players paying $70K a year to go to school. It makes it difficult for NU coaches when they miss on a kid. They have that kid for 4-5 years holding a scholly. I am not saying that NU is doing it wrong. It just means it is harder for NU to compete and win every year.
That doesn't mean they should EVER lose to Illinois State. The talent isn't even close. Obviously the coaching isn't either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT