ADVERTISEMENT

Multi DBs to portal

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
1. Isn’t this outside the window meaning they have to sit a year?
2. Is this an angry that Bates was cut or they heard footsteps … or they are concerned what discovery might reveal and jeopardize their student status?

Now that some of these cases are moving into discovery, I wonder what happens when NU counsel learns of allegations about student athletes in deps and rogs. Imagine it has to be reported to NU. At that point, based on sworn statements (rogs are under oath too) does the school investigate?

It’s an interesting dilemma: when the action hit last summer, it was late and these kids probably had little knowledge of how lawsuits work. Now, they have probably learned that lots and lots of depositions will be taken of current and former players. And that sworn testimony…could get them in a disciplinary proceeding at NU

If Bates was accused of knowing, wouldn’t be surprising for his group to be involved. And for him to be giving the warnings…..

Boy I hope there are some solid leaks from the deps….

1. Isn’t this outside the window meaning they have to sit a year?
2. Is this an angry that Bates was cut or they heard footsteps … or they are concerned what discovery might reveal and jeopardize their student status?

Now that some of these cases are moving into discovery, I wonder what happens when NU counsel learns of allegations about student athletes in deps and rogs. Imagine it has to be reported to NU. At that point, based on sworn statements (rogs are under oath too) does the school investigate?

It’s an interesting dilemma: when the action hit last summer, it was late and these kids probably had little knowledge of how lawsuits work. Now, they have probably learned that lots and lots of depositions will be taken of current and former players. And that sworn testimony…could get them in a disciplinary proceeding at NU

If Bates was accused of knowing, wouldn’t be surprising for his group to be involved. And for him to be giving the warnings…..

Boy I hope there are some solid leaks from the deps….
Who is Bates?

Maybe it was macpherson. Can’t say I remember the db coach name that was named in one of the complaints. But way to stick collective heads in the sand.

Two pretty good DBs w eligibility left leave after a great year…. Those that aren’t deniers have wondered why no players have been named as hazers.

Story is out that PF case is moving into discovery. I suspect other cases are too. DB coach has been let go. Written discovery and then depositions of parties and witnesses will follow.

Guess I’m the only one smart enough to figure out and wonder out loud whether that pending discovery and the names that will follow might influence some older players to leave…inexplicably.

But hey - just sit back and be surprised I guess.

I’m still rooting for very leaky discovery.

Bob, is going to have to dumb it down for this non-NU alum/lawyer. I have no idea what he is trying g to say. Transferring because they are fearful of testifying? I’m lost, maybe a young Buck like CMT can clarify.
The player lawyers have drilled down their clients for names of student hazers. NU May or may not choose to list other rostered players at relevant times as witnesses. Parties are not only people subject to deposition. Once under oath, questioned by lawyers, what do you suspect the players making allegations will say about the identity of participants? What do you think happens next? More depositions of course.

But if an allegation of player involvement under oath comes out and that player is still an NU student, then what? I suspect school has to investigate the allegation.

If the info I'm seeing is right, all the DBs have their degrees and are grad transfers, which makes sense - if I were them and I saw the others leaving along with my position coach, I'd be ready to move on as well to a program that recruits me rather than worrying about proving myself to some new guy taking charge of the room I've been coming to watch game film in for the past four years.

It's not great for us, but I get it.

If the info I'm seeing is right, all the DBs have their degrees and are grad transfers, which makes sense - if I were them and I saw the others leaving along with my position coach, I'd be ready to move on as well to a program that recruits me rather than worrying about proving myself to some new guy taking charge of the room I've been coming to watch game film in for the past four years.

It's not great for us, but I get it.
We’re Joseph and Hollis part of senior day?

Maybe it was macpherson. Can’t say I remember the db coach name that was named in one of the complaints. But way to stick collective heads in the sand.

Two pretty good DBs w eligibility left leave after a great year…. Those that aren’t deniers have wondered why no players have been named as hazers.

Story is out that PF case is moving into discovery. I suspect other cases are too. DB coach has been let go. Written discovery and then depositions of parties and witnesses will follow.

Guess I’m the only one smart enough to figure out and wonder out loud whether that pending discovery and the names that will follow might influence some older players to leave…inexplicably.

But hey - just sit back and be surprised I guess.

I’m still rooting for very leaky discovery.
Good Lord. You are outdoing yourself now with unsubstantiated speculation that players transferring are leaving because they were either part of a group of hazers or will be forced to testify on the scandal. Holy bridge too far! I guess obvious reasons elude some folks.

Randy Bates has been at Pittsburgh for 8 years, I highly doubt he has anything to do with anything . But who knows. Supposedly he was among our best recruiters and because he came from Louisiana he had a southern state pipeline going, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, etc but like I said, who knows?

Good Lord. You are outdoing yourself now with unsubstantiated speculation that players transferring are leaving because they were either part of a group of hazers or will be forced to testify on the scandal. Holy bridge too far! I guess obvious reasons elude some folks.
Sure - cats have a magical season, bonding as a team and bonding w their new HC. So these two starters decide to play elsewhere. Meanwhile, last I checked NU offered pretty good grad programs and have put players in the league.

They must be headed to a real blue blood program then…

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Sure - cats have a magical season, bonding as a team and bonding w their new HC. So these two starters decide to play elsewhere. Meanwhile, last I checked NU offered pretty good grad programs and have put players in the league.

You’re gonna look like a real moron when you see where Heard is committed (and the other offers he picked up).

You’re gonna look like a real moron when you see where Heard is committed (and the other offers he picked up).
Guess you also feel BrJo smartly chose to depart when a bigger name program became available?

Really helped Leota.

My comment was to your “speculation” that this was hazing related. That makes no sense at all.

My comment was to your “speculation” that this was hazing related. That makes no sense at all.
Agree I’m speculating - or discussing. If you are going to be critical of anyone that posts opinions, speculation, ideas - I think you have a lot of work to do… or you can simply focus on me. I have steadfastly taken one side here. I might have a little legal experience in the litigation world. And I learned long ago to ask the questions.

Of course, should my thoughts play true, you and yours will find a way to attack me by saying how happy I must be. Cool trick.

Alternatively, open minded individuals could look at my speculation and generate discussion thereon. But that probably only happens on the Rock ;)

As to make no sense, let’s play here

If a player leaves the state to play elsewhere:

1. They clearly have zero concerns thereafter about a disciplinary investigation from the school (NU) based on allegations made under oath (which the written discovery is probably happening now and in some cases, deps will begin this summer). I doubt any other school would investigate this matter regardless of sworn testimony.
2. As an uncooperative out of state fact witness, it’s much easier to avoid service of subpoenas and delay depositions. Sure, if the party seeking the dep wants the dep, they will get service, they will jump through the jurisdictional hoops, bring the various motions and force the issue. But that takes time and you fight both the other side and the individual being sought.

Folks have noted the lack of player accountability - I think it’s something to come. (Again, when NU receives through counsel from discovery, information sworn under oath alleging student or staff misconduct, I think they have to investigate. Considering how we got here, i bet they err on side of caution.)

So, if I was hoping to play in the league, I would probably take every step available to avoid all this litigation as it can’t help on the character evals.

So you say three really good DBs leave a surprisely great story that allegedly has a very tight team and coaching staff to seek greener pastures instead of running it back and I say maybe there is another explanation.

Want my bet - all three DBs play somewhere outside IL. In fact, I bet all the transfers end up outside IL.

Agree I’m speculating - or discussing. If you are going to be critical of anyone that posts opinions, speculation, ideas - I think you have a lot of work to do… or you can simply focus on me. I have steadfastly taken one side here. I might have a little legal experience in the litigation world. And I learned long ago to ask the questions.

Of course, should my thoughts play true, you and yours will find a way to attack me by saying how happy I must be. Cool trick.

Alternatively, open minded individuals could look at my speculation and generate discussion thereon. But that probably only happens on the Rock ;)
You are about half the reply’s on the thread, so maybe others don’t find the speculation all that stimulating, but what do I know, I have no legal chops.

As to make no sense, let’s play here

If a player leaves the state to play elsewhere:

1. They clearly have zero concerns thereafter about a disciplinary investigation from the school (NU) based on allegations made under oath (which the written discovery is probably happening now and in some cases, deps will begin this summer). I doubt any other school would investigate this matter regardless of sworn testimony.
2. As an uncooperative out of state fact witness, it’s much easier to avoid service of subpoenas and delay depositions. Sure, if the party seeking the dep wants the dep, they will get service, they will jump through the jurisdictional hoops, bring the various motions and force the issue. But that takes time and you fight both the other side and the individual being sought.

Folks have noted the lack of player accountability - I think it’s something to come. (Again, when NU receives through counsel from discovery, information sworn under oath alleging student or staff misconduct, I think they have to investigate. Considering how we got here, i bet they err on side of caution.)

So, if I was hoping to play in the league, I would probably take every step available to avoid all this litigation as it can’t help on the character evals.

So you say three really good DBs leave a surprisely great story that allegedly has a very tight team and coaching staff to seek greener pastures instead of running it back and I say maybe there is another explanation.

Want my bet - all three DBs play somewhere outside IL. In fact, I bet all the transfers end up outside IL.
Nope, it’s not like Illinois is flush with D1 teams let alone success. Transferring to school out of state is logical.

Reactions: 1060Ivy
You are about half the reply’s on the thread, so maybe others don’t find the speculation all that stimulating, but what do I know, I have no legal chops.
Yup. About right as many here choose the head in sand option. My memory is most the attorneys are on the other side. No hazing ever happened.

Like fitz, we need the truth to come out for better or worse. Prick the boil and then move on. Otherwise, we will have these arguments endlessly just like BC v CCC still pops up.

I’m not afraid to wrong. In fact, as an alum, I invite it. I also would like to see the Sox in the Series - doesn’t mean I’m going to bet on it.

Nope, it’s not like Illinois is flush with D1 teams let alone success. Transferring to school out of state is logical.
Correct me, did we recently lose a pretty good DT to UoI? And how many MAC schools have were seen guys transfer to? Let’s see who goes where and revisit ;)

Not talking about heard. He can pick any program he wants. Hollis and Joseph?

1) Heard already committed to ND after also immediately receiving offers from Michigan and Michigan State.

2) Joseph immediately got an offer from West Virginia, Hollis from West Virginia and Georgia Tech. Not world beaters, but also solid P4 programs.

You should really pay more attention if you’re going to try starting shit. Otherwise it’s just blatantly nonsensical.

Correct me, did we recently lose a pretty good DT to UoI? And how many MAC schools have were seen guys transfer to? Let’s see who goes where and revisit ;)

Priebe went to Michigan. Heard to Notre Dame. Doost to Arizona. Tyus to Ohio. Franks. Hollis, and Joseph both have P4 offers already.

You’re not making any sense.

Priebe went to Michigan. Heard to Notre Dame. Doost to Arizona. Tyus to Ohio. Franks. Hollis, and Joseph both have P4 offers already.

Priebe - car washer? Heard and the rest - ok. Never said they weren’t good. Let me try again and see if you will actually address points I lay out:

Supposedly (maybe you disagree), this team achieved unexpected success that was largely attributed to a close knit team (players and coaches) in the national spotlight.

Despite this closeness and that these players had no threat to PT (maybe you disagree), they all chose to leave instead staying in the ‘fraternity’ and running it back.

Allegedly, reading your vague tea leaves, they are leaving for starting positions in better programs.

Now, absent you responding on point, all we await are their destinations, their roles on those teams and the discovery in the existing litigation. Once it is clearly established that they left for starting spots on nationally ranked programs and nothing comes out of discovery re player accountability, I will drop to my knees and beg forgiveness for making such crazy suggestions.

If it goes another way, I’ll fight through the ‘bet you are happy’ BS to revisit this topic and your very closed minded and harsh approach.

Since we know you won’t (can’t) respond on point, now we wait. Cheers.

1) Heard already committed to ND after also immediately receiving offers from Michigan and Michigan State.

2) Joseph immediately got an offer from West Virginia, Hollis from West Virginia and Georgia Tech. Not world beaters, but also solid P4 programs.

You should really pay more attention if you’re going to try starting shit. Otherwise it’s just blatantly nonsensical.
Not a rock member, no idea where guys have offers.

You don’t remember edwards? Impressive DT (area of need) went to IL

You’re right, old age has set in.

Priebe - car washer? Heard and the rest - ok. Never said they weren’t good. Let me try again and see if you will actually address points I lay out:

Supposedly (maybe you disagree), this team achieved unexpected success that was largely attributed to a close knit team (players and coaches) in the national spotlight.

Despite this closeness and that these players had no threat to PT (maybe you disagree), they all chose to leave instead staying in the ‘fraternity’ and running it back.

Allegedly, reading your vague tea leaves, they are leaving for starting positions in better programs.

Now, absent you responding on point, all we await are their destinations, their roles on those teams and the discovery in the existing litigation. Once it is clearly established that they left for starting spots on nationally ranked programs and nothing comes out of discovery re player accountability, I will drop to my knees and beg forgiveness for making such crazy suggestions.

If it goes another way, I’ll fight through the ‘bet you are happy’ BS to revisit this topic and your very closed minded and harsh approach.

Since we know you won’t (can’t) respond on point, now we wait. Cheers.

Fitz’s case isn’t going to get to discovery and depositions. No chance.

Almost all the guys who have left have done so as grad transfers. While clearly not great for NU football, it’s much harder to bemoan guys who earn their degree then decide to try for “brighter lights” (and presumably bigger NIL paydays) elsewhere.

Reactions: No Chores
You don’t remember edwards? Impressive DT (area of need) went to IL

You’re right, old age has set in.

Edwards was not an “impressive DT.” He could barely break the rotation at NU, I heard lots of not good reports on both him and Butler — poor practice habits, weight problems, etc.

Fitz’s case isn’t going to get to discovery and depositions. No chance.

Almost all the guys who have left have done so as grad transfers. While clearly not great for NU football, it’s much harder to bemoan guys who earn their degree then decide to try for “brighter lights” (and presumably bigger NIL paydays) elsewhere.
Great. More hard set statements. Wonder why discovery is the concern. Ok, let’s see. Judge set a hard discovery schedule at PF request.

Edwards was not an “impressive DT.” He could barely break the rotation at NU, I heard lots of not good reports on both him and Butler — poor practice habits, weight problems, etc.
Weird - has played in every UoI game since transferring and put up some stats. I’m sure they don’t match up against our guys in that position for the past two years. Should we pull stats?

Yup. About right as many here choose the head in sand option. My memory is most the attorneys are on the other side. No hazing ever happened.

Like fitz, we need the truth to come out for better or worse. Prick the boil and then move on. Otherwise, we will have these arguments endlessly just like BC v CCC still pops up.

I’m not afraid to wrong. In fact, as an alum, I invite it. I also would like to see the Sox in the Series - doesn’t mean I’m going to bet on it.
Once again. Get over yourself

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Weird - has played in every UoI game since transferring and put up some stats. I’m sure they don’t match up against our guys in that position for the past two years. Should we pull stats?

Go for it.

It feels more speculative to assert that players are transferring because of discovery and whatnot than because they have their degree and are looking for a different experience their final year.

I don't think competing for a winning record qualifies as "running it back." It makes more sense in their case to leverage the unexpected season they had last year into a season at a bigger program. I love my Cats, but I can't blame them at all for wanting a year at the Big House or South Bend. Especially when your home games will be away from campus.

When starters graduate with eligibility remaining, we should probably expect them to look elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT