ADVERTISEMENT

Dirty Play?

If that's dirty, then nothing's clean. Total accident, makes no sense at all that it would be intentional on a play where Carson could have easily been the more injured party (I've seen knees lose to shins many times).

Reactions: drewjin and jcg_94
I’m sorry, guys, but I have a different opinion about that tripping play. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise, but someone would first have to explain this to me:

Other than to trip Vic, what basketball purpose could there be for #3 to stick his leg out in that situation? He was to the side of Law, was he not? If he’s in front of the dribbler I can see how their legs could get tangled up when their bodies crash or even graze each others’. But that is NOT how it looked to me. I saw an intentional tripping move resulting in an injury.

Again, please help me understand if you can.

I will add this: If I were in a Wildcat uniform and on the floor after that “accident”, I think I’d have taken a very cheap (and very hard) shot on #3 and then turned and walked directly to the locker room because I know (and would hope that) I'd be thrown out.

Last edited:
Reactions: PurpleFaze
I’m sorry, guys, but I have a different opinion about that tripping play. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise, but someone would first have to explain something to me, which is:

Other than to trip Vic, what basketball purpose could there be for #3 to stick his leg out in that situation? He was to the side of Law, was he not? If he’s in front of the dribbler I can see how thisheir legs could get tangled up as their bodies crash or even graze each others’.

Okay, then, please help me understand.

I will add this: If I were in a Wildcat uniform and on the floor after that “accident”, I think I’d have taken a very cheap (and very hard) shot on #3 and then turned and walked directly to the locker room because I know (and would hope that) I'd be thrown out.

Why would he risk injury to his need by intentionally contacting Vic's shin with it? It makes zero sense. If he was going to trip Vic intentionally, that was a terrible way to go about it.

Nobody likes to see one of these kids go down. I hope Vic can make a full recovery, although if it is a broken bone, it will take a while. Best of luck to Mr Law from a boilermaker.

Reactions: drewjin
I’m sorry, guys, but I have a different opinion about that tripping play. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise, but someone would first have to explain this to me:

Other than to trip Vic, what basketball purpose could there be for #3 to stick his leg out in that situation? He was to the side of Law, was he not? If he’s in front of the dribbler I can see how their legs could get tangled up when their bodies crash or even graze each others’. But that is NOT how it looked to me. I saw an intentional tripping move resulting in an injury.

Again, please help me understand if you can.

I have to agree with Palindrome, when I saw the play live on TV, and then on the replay, it appears to me that Edwards clearly stuck his leg out as if to trip Law. What intent he had in mind is questionable - it could've been a spontaneous reaction in an effort to stop Law - but to me it was a dangerous flagrant foul.

Why would he risk injury to his need by intentionally contacting Vic's shin with it? It makes zero sense. If he was going to trip Vic intentionally, that was a terrible way to go about it.
Back to my initial point: What kind of basketball move, other than tripping the opponent, requires a defender to extend his leg out, way out, into the path of an opponent who's dribbling to the side?.

Back to my initial point: What kind of basketball move, other than tripping the opponent, requires a defender to extend his leg out, way out, into the path of an opponent who's dribbling to the side?.

That's not what happened...

Mike, seems to me that in that split-second, it’s unlikely #3 considered the various ways he could trip Vic. Or, more diplomatically, “…. the various ways he could impede Vic’s progress toward the hoop”.

All game, their #3 didn’t display anything resembling control; no high basketball IQ or discipline. He played the daredevil role, impulsively jacking up long shots when covered, driving into and out of tight quarters. And then there was that ludicrous attempt at drawing a foul on a 3-point airball when there clearly was no contact from our guy and then reacting with the “what, no foul?” antic. I’m not saying he’s an on-court thug like that Duke player from a few years ago, but he’s sure not a John Stockton type! So I say he showed the propensity to do some dumb-ass thing like trip an opponent impulsively with no thought as to the consequences.

Mike, seems to me that in that split-second, it’s unlikely #3 considered the various ways he could trip Vic. Or, more diplomatically, “…. the various ways he could impede Vic’s progress toward the hoop”.

All game, their #3 didn’t display anything resembling control; no high basketball IQ or discipline. He played the daredevil role, impulsively jacking up long shots when covered, driving into and out of tight quarters. And then there was that ludicrous attempt at drawing a foul on a 3-point airball when there clearly was no contact from our guy and then reacting with the “what, no foul?” antic. I’m not saying he’s an on-court thug like that Duke player from a few years ago, but he’s sure not a John Stockton type! So I say he showed the propensity to do some dumb-ass thing like trip an opponent impulsively with no thought as to the consequences.
didn't watch and haven't seen the guy play all year, but I looked at his stats and the guy can't shoot threes at all. In fact it doesn't look like he shoots much of anything very well.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Dirty play? Are you serious? That is the silliest thing I will read all week. Injuries happen in sports. Does anyone seriously believe Edwards made the split second decision to trip the guy using his knee? Some folks need to grow up.

Dirty play? Are you serious? That is the silliest thing I will read all week. Injuries happen in sports. Does anyone seriously believe Edwards made the split second decision to trip the guy using his knee? Some folks need to grow up.

Dude. I'm not complaining, just discussing. It's a message board.

Look at the video. Edwards stuck his leg out as Law drove by, while also attempting to grab/impede with his arm at the same time. I doubt the intent was to injure Law, and it might've been a reflexive action, but it was not a basketball move. More like a soccer move that would've been awarded a yellow or red card. Grayson Allen would've been proud of that trip.

He’s reaching with his right hand to get the ball (and actually does contact the ball) as he steps out. As others said it’s a clumsy play but it’s not intentional. In a split second sometimes you don’t realize how late you’re going to be in getting over.

I’m sure Edwards makes a boneheaded play every once in a while like every other guy, but he’s a 1st team All Big 10 and 3rd team All American last year so it’s not like he’s some sort of chump.

Do I think he had the intent to hurt law? No. But I think in the heat of the moment he may have tried to impede him by getting his leg in the way and it ended up poorly. It wasn't a "normal" defensive play that's for sure.

The Purdue kid did absolutely nothing wrong. He tried to get set and was late. Happens a dozen or more times in a game.

Yes he was trying to get in front of Law. Of course he was trying to get in front of Law.

Dude. I'm not complaining, just discussing. It's a message board.

Look at the video. Edwards stuck his leg out as Law drove by, while also attempting to grab/impede with his arm at the same time. I doubt the intent was to injure Law, and it might've been a reflexive action, but it was not a basketball move. More like a soccer move that would've been awarded a yellow or red card. Grayson Allen would've been proud of that trip.
I think Grayson Allen is the perfect comparison... when he would do those dirty plays, he would stick his foot out to trip people. That was intentional. Here Carsen was trying to get his body in front of Vic, but was just woefully late. Hence why his knee hit Vic's shin. It was an ill-conceived and unusual play, one he shouldn't have done, but I'm with the not dirty camp.

I didn't follow the John Stockton reference. Is your point that Stockton was a calculatingly dirty player and Edwards is just impulsive?

For all the flack Jon Crispin takes, he was classy after the injury. He said HE was standing and clapping for Vic as he was carried off the court because Vic is a great player who has overcome so much adversity. No clue whether he did or not......

The amazing thing is that Edwards was not called for a foul!

It was a foul....Law had possession and was entitled to the space/clear path....defender needed to be set which he was not

Surprised the officiating crew didn't go to the monitor for ten minutes....and then call double fouls....then reward the ball to Purdue....then back to the monitor for five minutes to decide to add 2.3 seconds to the game clock

It was a foul....Law had possession and was entitled to the space/clear path....defender needed to be set which he was not

Surprised the officiating crew didn't go to the monitor for ten minutes....and then call double fouls....then reward the ball to Purdue....then back to the monitor for five minutes to decide to add 2.3 seconds to the game clock
I'm about 99% certain the refs called a foul on that play, I recall a whistle for sure, I think that poster was just wrong. Unless maybe he was saying the foul that was called was on the other Purdue player... I think they both fouled Vic on that play.

With no free throws taken, I thought no foul was called and ball was taken out of bounds following injury. Shouldn't be surprised we were not in bonus with 8 minutes to play. Thanks for clarifying.

didn't watch and haven't seen the guy play all year, but I looked at his stats and the guy can't shoot threes at all. In fact it doesn't look like he shoots much of anything very well.
He has been in a slump, but I'm pretty sure he could not have won the Jerry West award last year if he "can't shoot threes at all."

Not really dirty but definitely a foul. When you look at it, looked like possibly a blown knee but supposedly needed stitches. We will see
Dude, it was a cut to the shin and probably a bad bruise. Collins said he was likely for Wednesday. Why do you need to make stuff up?

Dude, it was a cut to the shin and probably a bad bruise. Collins said he was likely for Wednesday. Why do you need to make stuff up?
When you look at the play on the court and the way he came off the court it looked like a hyperextended knee.(could not see replay at WR but it also looked like a hyperextended knee). I had heard from one of the family that it was just stitches but not to where. I assumed to the knee which because of the need for the knee to flex could be problematic in that it could tear back open. That it is to the shin makes that less probable but I had not heard that that is where the stitches were. Now what was I supposedly making up?

When you look at the play on the court and the way he came off the court it looked like a hyperextended knee.(could not see replay at WR but it also looked like a hyperextended knee). I had heard from one of the family that it was just stitches but not to where. I assumed to the knee which because of the need for the knee to flex could be problematic in that it could tear back open. That it is to the shin makes that less probable but I had not heard that that is where the stitches were. Now what was I supposedly making up?
When you watch the replay, you can actually see the cut, since it was a nasty one! On the shin, no question.

I didn't follow the John Stockton reference. Is your point that Stockton was a calculatingly dirty player and Edwards is just impulsive?

A clarification for clarificationcat: Not my point at all in bringing up Stockton. What I mean is that I saw no resemblance between the smart and controlled play of Stockton and what I saw as the kind of wild and crazy style of Edwards. Again, not that Edwards is a “dirty player” (like Grayson Allen), but that he does things outside the norm and looks careless (hence my term “daredevil”, and maybe I should have said “devil may care". Some would say Stockton was “dirty”, but to me he was simply a small guy who wouldn’t back down when things got rough. The “dirty” tag on Stockton would usually be more associated with him being a great actor as “King of the Floppers” in his time.

Especially considering what others have said here, I’ve come to think the Edwards play was likely foolish, clumsy, impetuous and probably not intentional. A Stockton defensive play wouldn’t likely be described in that way. I cribbed the following from an NBA.com article about Stockton….

"Some play a position exquisitely, just as it was designed. That would be John Stockton at point guard. A fast, gritty, durable player who saw the floor as well as anyone who ever played the game, he left the NBA after 19 seasons with the Utah Jazz, holding a mass of assists records, including the career mark (15,806).

"As Stockton giveth, he taketh away: He led the league in steals twice and, with a career total of 3,265, he retired as the NBA's all-time leader. He also played all 82 games in 17 of his 19 seasons and his career shooting percentage was .515, a remarkable statistic for a guard.

"There absolutely, positively, will never ever be another John Stockton -- ever," said Karl Malone, Stockton's teammate for 18 seasons.

"Famed UCLA basketball coach John Wooden once said Stockton was the NBA player he enjoyed watching the most and the only one he would pay to see. Hall of Fame coach Dr. Jack Ramsay called Stockton the ultimate team player and best point guard ever in the halfcourt.

"Stockton did it all without fanfare. Sam Smith said it this way on ESPN.com: 'He doesn't dribble behind his back or through his legs. He doesn't crossover. His highlight reel features primarily bounce passes and layups. Despite evidence to the contrary these days, that's basketball. He doesn't practice the no-look pass, but we'll all be poorer not able to watch him anymore.'"

Last edited:
A clarification for clarificationcat: Not my point at all in bringing up Stockton. What I mean is that I saw no resemblance between the smart and controlled play of Stockton and what I saw as the kind of wild and crazy style of Edwards. Again, not that Edwards is a “dirty player” (like Grayson Allen), but that he does things outside the norm and looks careless (hence my term “daredevil”, and maybe I should have said “devil may care". Some would say Stockton was “dirty”, but to me he was simply a small guy who wouldn’t back down when things got rough. The “dirty” tag on Stockton would usually be more associated with him being a great actor as “King of the Floppers” in his time.

Especially considering what others have said here, I’ve come to think the Edwards play was likely foolish, clumsy, impetuous and probably not intentional. A Stockton defensive play wouldn’t likely be described in that way. I cribbed the following from an NBA.com article about Stockton….

"Some play a position exquisitely, just as it was designed. That would be John Stockton at point guard. A fast, gritty, durable player who saw the floor as well as anyone who ever played the game, he left the NBA after 19 seasons with the Utah Jazz, holding a mass of assists records, including the career mark (15,806).

"As Stockton giveth, he taketh away: He led the league in steals twice and, with a career total of 3,265, he retired as the NBA's all-time leader. He also played all 82 games in 17 of his 19 seasons and his career shooting percentage was .515, a remarkable statistic for a guard.

"There absolutely, positively, will never ever be another John Stockton -- ever," said Karl Malone, Stockton's teammate for 18 seasons.

"Famed UCLA basketball coach John Wooden once said Stockton was the NBA player he enjoyed watching the most and the only one he would pay to see. Hall of Fame coach Dr. Jack Ramsay called Stockton the ultimate team player and best point guard ever in the halfcourt.

"Stockton did it all without fanfare. Sam Smith said it this way on ESPN.com: 'He doesn't dribble behind his back or through his legs. He doesn't crossover. His highlight reel features primarily bounce passes and layups. Despite evidence to the contrary these days, that's basketball. He doesn't practice the no-look pass, but we'll all be poorer not able to watch him anymore.'"
He was so fundamentally sound

Was not able to play. Even with "just stitches" I had felt it was potential of him not being able to play. Unfortunately I was correct in that.

WHat is good for him is that this is nothing he will not heal from fairly quickly. From what I understand several agents are anxious to represent an athlete with his versatility so expect to hear some noise about him as he gets his chance at the next level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT