PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
In the BTN interview with Revsine, Fitz was directly asked:

“so to be clear, you will not be pursuing those [NFL] opportunities”

to which Fitz responded:

“I’m fired up to get after it. I think I have said enough.”

toward the end of this interview:

I’m actually starting to believe that we might see a head coaching change this year.

Reactions: Titanium999

to which Fitz responded:

I’m actually starting to believe that we might see a head coaching change this year.
That's definitely the answer you'd give if you're planning to leave. Or if you're trying to leverage these NFL inquiries/offers into a new stadium.

15 years is a long time to coach at one place. I don’t think he leaves, but would I be shocked? Not at all. Maybe he feels ready for a new professional challenge. Can you blame him?

Money talks, but I don’t really see Fitz as a good fit in the NFL.

Terrible fit. He’d be back in college within three years. And the saddest aspect in all of this is that NU would be playing the part of LSU in the Saban-to-Alabama story. But sometimes you can’t protect people from themselves.

to which Fitz responded:

Posturing. He might be an NU lifer, but he isn’t an idiot.

Money talks, but I don’t really see Fitz as a good fit in the NFL.

A lot of NFL teams are looking for the “CEO” type coach and Fitz fits that mold as someone who elevated the Northwestern program.

We all know he’s a personable guy and someone who will ingratiate himself well with media/fan base immediately.

Will he win? Who knows.

Posturing. He might be an NU lifer, but he isn’t an idiot.
Yea, Fitz isn't an idiot and neither is his agent. I'm sure he and his agent have discussed his plans for the future, and Fitz has had plenty of time (and interest) to learn what to say when asked about potential interest by other teams. After all, what does he stand to lose by giving that answer? So he made a bunch of dorks on a Northwestern football forum really anxious--what does he care?

"If they want me to be here, that's the plan," is the equivalent of "If they're willing to pay me $X,XXX,XXX to be here, that's the plan." He's leveraging the interest to his benefit, something all of us would do if in a similar position.

Reactions: Titanium999
I see Fitz similar to Chip Kelly is the aspect of being a “College” coach. Not sure his style translates to the NFL. A “Rah Rah guy” who has to deal with grown men, some of whom will be making more money than him? Not sure why he’d leave a no pressure job for life when he’s making 6 Mil/ year now?

I am sorry to butt in but I really hope Coach Fitz stays at Northwestern. He IS Northwestern football. That said I understand how the kind of money the NFL can offer would make any coach at least consider going to the league. I also understand that many coaches tire of recruiting kids and all that goes with that. Best of luck to your team and fans. Merry Christmas!

I see Fitz similar to Chip Kelly is the aspect of being a “College” coach. Not sure his style translates to the NFL. A “Rah Rah guy” who has to deal with grown men, some of whom will be making more money than him? Not sure why he’d leave a no pressure job for life when he’s making 6 Mil/ year now?

Chip Kelly failed in the NFL because he is a control freak who needed to run the entire program like a dictator. He may be a brilliant football mind, but he lacked the emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills needed to succeed in the NFL. I don’t see that issue in Fitz’s DNA.

Reactions: plstrmn27
Sounds like he is saying what his agent is advising him to say at this point. Fitz has to be a little uncertain about the AD situation so it seems opportune to remain noncommittal and use these NFL overtures as either leverage, or hopefully not a means to exit.

Sounds like he is saying what his agent is advising him to say at this point. Fitz has to be a little uncertain about the AD situation so it seems opportune to remain noncommittal and use these NFL overtures as either leverage, or hopefully not a means to exit.
There has been radio silence on the AD hire or even candidates. The hire s critical to longterm success with or without Fitz.

Chip Kelly failed in the NFL because he is a control freak who needed to run the entire program like a dictator. He may be a brilliant football mind, but he lacked the emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills needed to succeed in the NFL. I don’t see that issue in Fitz’s DNA.
I’m not equating Fitz to Kelly, but my God, every coach is a control freak, including Fitz.

At least 80% of your job satisfaction is tied to how well you get along with your boss.
Exactly right. Who hasn't experienced this? Unless you are a business owner (I was at one point) or CEO, you work for someone directly. I believe I have this quote done correctly: "He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil." Dickens. Powerful statement
I've got confidence that Morty will pick the best person, but there is risk for Fitz right now

Exactly right. Who hasn't experienced this? Unless you are a business owner (I was at one point) or CEO, you work for someone directly. I believe I have this quote done correctly: "He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil." Dickens. Powerful statement
I've got confidence that Morty will pick the best person, but there is risk for Fitz right now

Just wondering how secure is Morty in his job these days? Weren't there significant doubts on him even before the pandemic?

Morty's job is safe -- he's had a miserable year, like most of us, but he's not going anywhere, IMO. According to the internets, his contract expires in August 2022. He'll be 69 years old then. I'm guessing he'll be done at that point, or maybe remain on for a short period while the replacement search goes forward.

That's definitely the answer you'd give if you're planning to leave. Or if you're trying to leverage these NFL inquiries/offers into a new stadium.
Which NFL teams are supposedly interested? The Bears should be.

to which Fitz responded:

Maybe but his first answer was to indicate he wanted to be at NU

Which NFL teams are supposedly interested? The Bears should be.
Think I heard somewhere that the Bears would be the one job that would particularly interest him. Still don't think that Fitz - or the Bears - would be best served by that.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Yea, Fitz isn't an idiot and neither is his agent. I'm sure he and his agent have discussed his plans for the future, and Fitz has had plenty of time (and interest) to learn what to say when asked about potential interest by other teams. After all, what does he stand to lose by giving that answer? So he made a bunch of dorks on a Northwestern football forum really anxious--what does he care?

"If they want me to be here, that's the plan," is the equivalent of "If they're willing to pay me $X,XXX,XXX to be here, that's the plan." He's leveraging the interest to his benefit, something all of us would do if in a similar position.
Give him a raise to 5 million a year! He deserves every penny.

Fitz is NU football. I see no reason for him to leave. His next goal is a Big 10 championship. He has a great situation at NU. He would probably love to coach his sons at NU.

Fitz has a full time job. In the modern day, being both HFC and AD is way too much for one person.

Fitz has a full time job. In the modern day, being both HFC and AD is way too much for one person.

Barry Alvarez did it for two years in 2004 and 2005. You obviously would need a very strong number 2 in the athletic department to make it work.

Reactions: zeek55
Barry Alvarez did it for two years in 2004 and 2005. You obviously would need a very strong number 2 in the athletic department to make it work.
Alvarez was transitioning into the job do not forget. He was considering retiring ashead coach in a few years and decided to jump on the AD job while it was open. Totally a different situation

Reactions: zeek55
Do not foget people sometimes get stale in their jobs and just want a change. Not sayinf Fitz wants to or wil leave but to blanket say he will not is foolish. You never know if these offers come again.

Theo Epstein made a great point of how after 10 years it gets repetitive and sometimes a change is good. Also do not forget Fitz is a CEO type coach and the NFL needs more of these. The flash in the pan hot offensive coordinators flame out more than they succeed primarily because they are tied to the QB they had at their last stop (Nagy is a prime example of that). A guy who can lead the team and hire a great staff should be more desirable (Tomlin, Belicheck, Carroll, Rivera, and even Vrabel is proving to be this too).

He may just want something new and also guys who made the jump always say that not having the recruiting responsibilites is so much better for your life and sanity. I could see it happening

Do not foget people sometimes get stale in their jobs and just want a change. Not sayinf Fitz wants to or wil leave but to blanket say he will not is foolish. You never know if these offers come again.

Theo Epstein made a great point of how after 10 years it gets repetitive and sometimes a change is good. Also do not forget Fitz is a CEO type coach and the NFL needs more of these. The flash in the pan hot offensive coordinators flame out more than they succeed primarily because they are tied to the QB they had at their last stop (Nagy is a prime example of that). A guy who can lead the team and hire a great staff should be more desirable (Tomlin, Belicheck, Carroll, Rivera, and even Vrabel is proving to be this too).

He may just want something new and also guys who made the jump always say that not having the recruiting responsibilites is so much better for your life and sanity. I could see it happening
Perhaps, that is why the new AD position needs to get filled so they can hire the next coach. But like I said before big IF he leaves NU. I get the whole stale part, but the NFL is a different animal. Every play, timeout, etc gets overanalyzed and scrutinized. There is give and take, so you need to account for that as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: catsattackfor3
Alvarez was transitioning into the job do not forget. He was considering retiring ashead coach in a few years and decided to jump on the AD job while it was open. Totally a different situation

Not sure how it was different. I don't remember Alvarez leaving the head coaching job or announcing such until he named Bielema as his replacement. Perhaps my memory is incomplete. Fitz is also way younger and more energetic today than Alvarez was in 2004-2005. An AD job can be about leadership, decision-making and fundraising. It doesn't have to be about all the other logistical day-to-day issues traditionally associated with the AD role if there's a strong number 2 in place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT