ADVERTISEMENT

Does Thorson play in our next Bowl game or does he sit?

Turk

May 29, 2001
Blacklisted by Fitz
Everyone is thinking about our season opener at Purdue, but we should also consider our next bowl game which we will be going to next year.

Sadly, it's a foregone conclusion that most NFL agents now get their clients to blow off their bowl games and throw their team under the bus. A player who skips the bowl game is wrong. Period. If you can't stand with your team at the peak then shame on you. I'm tired of the "Do what's best for me" in team sports but it's accepted by even the coaches. Back in the day, we weren't so soft on such players blowing off their team.
Sure we can always hope for the exception, like Guise from LSU. And although Barkley decided to play, he is an underclassman.
But even the announcers on the Notre Dame/LSU broadcast were shocked that Guise, from LSU, didn't sit out after the first quarter. In fact, they were concerned for him.

I'm not impressed with Rosen's statements either. But, if our team is in a major bowl next year, if Thorson follows the conventional thinking, he sits. He can also point to the Kentucky game as evidence that he could get hurt. I'm not suggesting that I know what he will do but he WILL have that option, and he will be a top draft pick, and it's reasonable for us to talk about it.

I don't believe we will be going to the Music City Bowl either. I think this team is fully loaded. We have all of our big games at home as well if we can get through MSU away. But we are freakn loaded.

IMO, going to the Outback bowl will be a bummer next year. No disrespect to Jackson but Larkin isn't a downgrade. Our defense is a Beast. Special teams will be awesome with solid kicking and Vault coming back as the #1 returner in the nation. Finally, a year in which all of our top outside wr will be back.

If we have the year I think we should have then I think Thorson plays the bowl game. But don't any of you act like it's an unreasonable thought that he sits. More of these players, than not, are sitting.

Everyone is thinking about our season opener at Purdue, but we should also consider our next bowl game which we will be going to next year.

Sadly, it's a foregone conclusion that most NFL agents now get their clients to blow off their bowl games and throw their team under the bus. A player who skips the bowl game is wrong. Period. If you can't stand with your team at the peak then shame on you. I'm tired of the "Do what's best for me" in team sports but it's accepted by even the coaches. Back in the day, we weren't so soft on such players blowing off their team.
Sure we can always hope for the exception, like Guise from LSU. And although Barkley decided to play, he is an underclassman.
But even the announcers on the Notre Dame/LSU broadcast were shocked that Guise, from LSU, didn't sit out after the first quarter. In fact, they were concerned for him.

I'm not impressed with Rosen's statements either. But, if our team is in a major bowl next year, if Thorson follows the conventional thinking, he sits. He can also point to the Kentucky game as evidence that he could get hurt. I'm not suggesting that I know what he will do but he WILL have that option, and he will be a top draft pick, and it's reasonable for us to talk about it.

I don't believe we will be going to the Music City Bowl either. I think this team is fully loaded. We have all of our big games at home as well if we can get through MSU away. But we are freakn loaded.

IMO, going to the Outback bowl will be a bummer next year. No disrespect to Jackson but Larkin isn't a downgrade. Our defense is a Beast. Special teams will be awesome with solid kicking and Vault coming back as the #1 returner in the nation. Finally, a year in which all of our top outside wr will be back.

If we have the year I think we should have then I think Thorson plays the bowl game. But don't any of you act like it's an unreasonable thought that he sits. More of these players, than not, are sitting.

If we are in a major bowl, conventional thinking is that players play (Mayfield at OU, Fitzpatrick at Bama, Ferrell at Clemson, etc.).

The guys who sat were playing in low-level games that didn’t/don’t mean much.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
If we are in a major bowl, conventional thinking is that players play (Mayfield at OU, Fitzpatrick at Bama, Ferrell at Clemson, etc.).

The guys who sat were playing in low-level games that didn’t/don’t mean much.

Kinda like McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl or Hurst skipping the Outback Bowl. Low Level Bowls.

Way too soon. CT has a potentially catastrophic knee injury. I think we can win 8 games next year but the schedule is daunting.
The picture of CT being carted off the field was significant because of the way his leg was being cradled. In spite of what Fitz said, I don't think that this is a "good" injury, but more in line with "at least ACL and MCL" type statements found on this board recently. Just have to wait for the announcement later in the day. In the meantime the discussions here will abound regarding who will be at QB in August opener. Freshmen are able to step in ( Georgia's QB, Goff) so here's hoping we have someone who can fill the bill.

Kinda like McCaffrey skipping the Sun Bowl or Hurst skipping the Outback Bowl. Low Level Bowls.
I could see it at the Outback bowl. Any of the 6 Bowls and I guess they play. I think it's the Rose, Peach, Orange, etc. Citrus bowl may be debatable. I think we will be really really good next year. Possibly beat Wisconsin for the division. We have a lot of hope playing them at home even though Wisconsin is a load.

We probably need to see if Clayton will be ready for the season before discussing whether he should play in a bowl game or not. And frankly if Baker Mayfield can play in his bowl game, why wouldn't Clayton?

I know a lot of guys think it is too soon to talk about this but maybe it is so far away that we can have a more objective perspective now than the day after the last game of the season.
If CT has a great year but NU doesn't make it to a top tier bowl, I kind of hope he wouldn't play.
First of all his injury in the MCB is the exact example of why not to play if you have real hope of continuing your football career in the NFL.
Second, I would love to see him play for many years to come and would get more enjoyment from seeing him play many games in the pros than one middle of the road bowl.
Third, The reps and experience our second string QB would get preparing for and playing in a lower tier bowl could really make 2019 a better year for NU. If we have already had a good but not great 2018 season why not start prepping for 2019 at the end of November.

If we make it to a top tier bowl (New Years Day Bowl, I suppose), I would hope he would play. The notoriety for himself and NU would be much more valuable and his presence on the field would be much more needed. Those games matter more in the big scheme to everyone.

C’mon GCG. I’m argumentative, opinionated and often a jerk. Ever known me to speculate wildly?

Sorry, but if Clayton is not a full strength it will be very difficult to make a top tier bowl. No disrespect to the new QB’s but they haven’t taken a snap at NU yet. It’s a tall task asking for them to step in against our gauntlet of a schedule and come out with 10 wins. That’s what it will take for top tier.

If he is out we lose a ton of key cogs from this year. CT, JJTBC, GDick, Lanny, Godwin and Q will be a lot to overcome. Yes our replacements are expected to be pretty good, but they are not multiple year starters like this group. This hyperbole is starting to remind me of this years B Ball team and we know how that has turned out so far.

Hopefully we can get through Spring practice without losing anyone and Marty/Smith turn out to be stronger than a typical first year would be. Saving my predictions until August.

C’mon GCG. I’m argumentative, opinionated and often a jerk. Ever known me to speculate wildly?

I honestly have no idea. Still "expecting the worst, hoping for the best" on Thorson's injury, but the optics sure didn't look good. At all.

Sorry, but if Clayton is not a full strength it will be very difficult to make a top tier bowl. No disrespect to the new QB’s but they haven’t taken a snap at NU yet. It’s a tall task asking for them to step in against our gauntlet of a schedule and come out with 10 wins. That’s what it will take for top tier.

If he is out we lose a ton of key cogs from this year. CT, JJTBC, GDick, Lanny, Godwin and Q will be a lot to overcome. Yes our replacements are expected to be pretty good, but they are not multiple year starters like this group. This hyperbole is starting to remind me of this years B Ball team and we know how that has turned out so far.

Hopefully we can get through Spring practice without losing anyone and Marty/Smith turn out to be stronger than a typical first year would be. Saving my predictions until August.

This isn't your grand-dad's (or dad's) Northwestern team. We (finally) have enough depth to deal with significant departures.

Thorson would obviously be big, because he's a returning three-year starter and was solidly in the "coming back" category after his pre-bowl declaration. Larkin showed what he can do consistently throughout the year, hopefully Thompson can carry the momentum of his MCB performance into 2018 while taking on a leadership role in that room, and McGee has played TONS of football for us; Between Pace and the other young guys on the roster, I am pretty confident that we can cobble together adequate replacement at the other safety spot.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I’m more concerned frankly with who’s next up. Putting aside for a moment the hugely unfortunate impact to a great kid and speaking just as a selfish football fan.

We were landing four star qbs two years in a row in 2013 and 2014. Then it just stopped. Neither Smith nor Marty were highly coveted, and we missed out on Kasem Hill and another highly recruited kid last year too. I know NOTHING about either kid we have, and with Yates now deep on the WR depth chart, I cannot remember a time when we went into a season with a less impressive resume among our qbs.

Again, I know, I know, I know. Please don’t start listing for me NFL starting qbs or P5 all conference players who didn’t get more than one P5 offer. But we were possibly facing this situation even if Thorson wasn’t hurt, if he left this season, and from my perspective, this is the least prepared we’ve been at qb in my memory.

Look at our big QB transitional years:
Going into 2015, we had two four star kids and Oliver with a pretty impressive offer list.

Going into 2010, we knew Persa could play based on what we saw in limited duty in 2009.

The transition to 2012 and 2014 was relatively seemless.

In 2009, while we didn’t know what Kafka would be, he’d played really well in a couple of games in 2008.

I think I have to go back to 2006 to find a time more concerning/unknown at qb for NU.

I’m more concerned frankly with who’s next up. Putting aside for a moment the hugely unfortunate impact to a great kid and speaking just as a selfish football fan.

We were landing four star qbs two years in a row in 2013 and 2014. Then it just stopped. Neither Smith nor Marty were highly coveted, and we missed out on Kasem Hill and another highly recruited kid last year too. I know NOTHING about either kid we have, and with Yates now deep on the WR depth chart, I cannot remember a time when we went into a season with a less impressive resume among our qbs.

Again, I know, I know, I know. Please don’t start listing for me NFL starting qbs or P5 all conference players who didn’t get more than one P5 offer. But we were possibly facing this situation even if Thorson wasn’t hurt, if he left this season, and from my perspective, this is the least prepared we’ve been at qb in my memory.

Look at our big QB transitional years:
Going into 2015, we had two four star kids and Oliver with a pretty impressive offer list.

Going into 2010, we knew Persa could play based on what we saw in limited duty in 2009.

The transition to 2012 and 2014 was relatively seemless.

In 2009, while we didn’t know what Kafka would be, he’d played really well in a couple of games in 2008.

I think I have to go back to 2006 to find a time more concerning/unknown at qb for NU.

Couldn't care less about the list of P5/NFL QBs who didn't have a lot of stars next to their name once upon a time. Care much more about watching the actual players' tape.

My money is still on Marty, who I think has more physical skills and a higher ceiling. He wasn't very highly recruited because of an injury his junior year, but came on pretty darn strong his senior year:

He shows a lot of tools in that video and will have had two years to adjust from small-school Ohio ball to P5/B1G game speed, plus probably at least half of the snaps in spring ball (and even more come fall if Thorson is unable to return in time).

This isn't your grand-dad's (or dad's) Northwestern team. We (finally) have enough depth to deal with significant departures.

Thorson would obviously be big, because he's a returning three-year starter and was solidly in the "coming back" category after his pre-bowl declaration. Larkin showed what he can do consistently throughout the year, hopefully Thompson can carry the momentum of his MCB performance into 2018 while taking on a leadership role in that room, and McGee has played TONS of football for us; Between Pace and the other young guys on the roster, I am pretty confident that we can cobble together adequate replacement at the other safety spot.
I guess it's a possibility that CT could miss the entire season but wouldn't that be unusual for a ACL to force him to miss even November and December of next year? At any rate, yes we have tons of talent as we even get Vault and Watkins back. But we have high expectations for next year so I'd guess that Fitz doesn't limit the playbook for any presumed new QB, as he did with CT during his first year as a starter. I just don't know what it is but I have watched so many true freshmen, even at the highest level, jump right in and be productive. The Georgia QB is another one, and the ND QB who jumped in yesterday did fairly decent as he was allowed to throw downfield. Just seems as if we restrict our QB's until they are upper classmen. Not saying I know but I'm pretty pessimistic of any backup QB comin in next year and being productive. I do have confidence in our D against Purdue, Duke, Akron, even though they were all bowl teams, 2 of which won bowls. Here is hoping that CT is health by October at least because Michigan will be tough to beat otherwise.

I guess it's a possibility that CT could miss the entire season but wouldn't that be unusual for a ACL to force him to miss even November and December of next year? At any rate, yes we have tons of talent as we even get Vault and Watkins back. But we have high expectations for next year so I'd guess that Fitz doesn't limit the playbook for any presumed new QB, as he did with CT during his first year as a starter. I just don't know what it is but I have watched so many true freshmen, even at the highest level, jump right in and be productive. The Georgia QB is another one, and the ND QB who jumped in yesterday did fairly decent as he was allowed to throw downfield. Just seems as if we restrict our QB's until they are upper classmen. Not saying I know but I'm pretty pessimistic of any backup QB comin in next year and being productive. I do have confidence in our D against Purdue, Duke, Akron, even though they were all bowl teams, 2 of which won bowls. Here is hoping that CT is health by October at least because Michigan will be tough to beat otherwise.

1) Unless something(s) change(d), Watkins won't be back -- he was announced on senior day, etc.

2) Book at Notre Dame is a redshirt freshman (and just a "lowly three-star" at that), just as if Marty were the one to replace Thorson.

I keep reading how CT’s injury was “gruesome” but after watching the replay, there was nothing terribly awkward about that tackle. It looks like a prototypical ACL tear where the plant leg buckles in a bit and the player comes up cradling the knee. But it’s not like his leg was bent far beyond the planar motion of the knee. At least not what I could see.

The wildcard here is the cartilage. I am assuming he tore the ACL, but if the cartilage is intact his prognosis is good. He will just need time.

It’s possible he tore the MCL, which is very painful according to most accounts. It often hurts more than the ACL when torn, though the injury itself is often less severe.

We will know soon enough.

Couldn't care less about the list of P5/NFL QBs who didn't have a lot of stars next to their name once upon a time. Care much more about watching the actual players' tape.

My money is still on Marty, who I think has more physical skills and a higher ceiling. He wasn't very highly recruited because of an injury his junior year, but came on pretty darn strong his senior year:

He shows a lot of tools in that video and will have had two years to adjust from small-school Ohio ball to P5/B1G game speed, plus probably at least half of the snaps in spring ball (and even more come fall if Thorson is unable to return in time).
yes he looks the part and the tape is pretty good but as you note the competition wasn't not the best.

I keep reading how CT’s injury was “gruesome” but after watching the replay, there was nothing terribly awkward about that tackle. It looks like a prototypical ACL tear where the plant leg buckles in a bit and the player comes up cradling the knee. But it’s not like his leg was bent far beyond the planar motion of the knee. At least not what I could see.

The wildcard here is the cartilage. I am assuming he tore the ACL, but if the cartilage is intact his prognosis is good. He will just need time.

It’s possible he tore the MCL, which is very painful according to most accounts. It often hurts more than the ACL when torn, though the injury itself is often less severe.

We will know soon enough.

Going to disagree with you there... kind of dying over here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT