ADVERTISEMENT

C'Mon Miracle... let's go to Tampa!

wildcatcoaster

Oct 27, 2003
With Reliaquest Bowl back in play we SHOULD be the next team (after MI, OSU, PSU and Iowa) and logic would state that would send us to Reliaquest (former Outback).

But of course both overall and head to head records don't matter and instead they will send a stink Wisconsin team we beat to get pummeled by LSU.

With Reliaquest Bowl back in play we SHOULD be the next team (after MI, OSU, PSU and Iowa) and logic would state that would send us to Reliaquest (former Outback).

But of course both overall and head to head records don't matter and instead they will send a stink Wisconsin team we beat to get pummeled by LSU.

Better them than us. Is Daniels playing in their bowl??

Reactions: phatcat

I've seen a few projections this morning that we go to Tampa to play Tennessee. Iowa would play LSU in the Citrus Bowl.

I would love Tampa, solely because it's real close for me. I just don't see it happening especially if requires Gragg to work.

My daughter is graduating from FSU so we watched the game last night's with interest. She's pissed off that Noles could be jumped. I told her she has Dr Jim as her commish and I expect he'll fight like hell. During the game the announcers said that Phillips had already pointed out the merits of the ACC and their winning records vs SEC and BIG. I just don't see Gragg to address our poor game attendance issues effectively.

I still miss Dr Jim.

If we play Tennessee dont know if I could get myself to go...most obnoxious group of people and I could just not stomach one more Ol Rocky Top

• Love
Reactions: phatcat
I have not seen them play this year. Are they any good?
Tennessee would be favored by 10-14 points over us. That said, they are a good team, but this isn’t last year’s Tennessee. They aren’t inept on offense, but Joe Milton is not even in the same ballpark as Hendon Hooker. I think our defense could hold their own.

Their defense is actually their strength this year and our offense would likely struggle. I think of them as a poor man’s Penn State.

We could play with them and would have an outside chance of victory, but it would be a tough game. I don’t think we’d get blown out though.

Tennessee would be favored by 10-14 points over us. That said, they are a good team, but this isn’t last year’s Tennessee. They aren’t inept on offense, but Joe Milton is not even in the same ballpark as Hendon Hooker. I think our defense could hold their own.

Their defense is actually their strength this year and our offense would likely struggle. I think of them as a poor man’s Penn State.

We could play with them and would have an outside chance of victory, but it would be a tough game. I don’t think we’d get blown out though.
The other thing to consider with higher ranked teams is that their top players heading for the draft may not want to play in these level bowl games. For players at a program like Tennessee or Auburn, these bowl games don't mean much and many of them won't play. Not sure if Milton is draft eligible but they may be another factor to consider.

And more excuses from Fickell

Last edited:
For players at a program like Tennessee or Auburn, these bowl games don't mean much and many of them won't play.
Oooh yeah! Then the broadcast can go on and on about how the other team is missing players to hedge against an "undeserving" NU win.

prediction -
mich, osu, psu - ny6
ioa - citrus
wisky - outback
music - mary
lv - NU
nyc - ru
phx - goofers

You called it! Only aberration was Minnesota falling to the Quick Lane in Detroit and the Big Ten losing its contracted slot in Phoenix.

Would be interesting to learn exactly how/why Minnesota with its 5 win record still got into a Big Ten contracted Bowl Game but got excluded from another just above it in the pecking order.

Would be interesting to learn exactly how/why Minnesota with its 5 win record still got into a Big Ten contracted Bowl Game but got excluded from another just above it in the pecking order.
UNLV, at 9-4, had a right to a bowl slot before any 5-7 team, and Guaranteed Rate had the right to pick them, Big Ten contract notwithstanding. Quicklane could have passed on Minny, too, if there had been a 6-6 team from another conference available. At least, that's my understanding.

Letting 5-7 teams play at all is just a concession to keep bowls operating which would otherwise have to be cancelled.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
A no brainer to pick UNLV. The matchup with Kansas would have been perfect for NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT