ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming Wisconsin and Iowa Win, If NU Beats Illinois - We go to Phoenix, Otherwise Detroit

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Odds are that a resurgent Wisconsin will keep Minnesota from becoming bowl eligible and #20 Iowa will likewise deny Nebraska their chance to go to a bowl. That would leave the contractual Big Ten bowl slots filled only if Illinois can squeeze in by a win against Northwestern. Northwestern wins and The Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit, as the last in the pecking order, will remain unfilled. That would move us up to Phoenix based on the just released bowl projections from the Detroit press:

Here’s how the rest of the Big Ten’s teams are projected - (with Illinois winning Saturday)

• Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. LSU
  • Music City Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Texas A&M
  • Las Vegas Bowl: Maryland vs. USC
  • Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs. Georgia Tech
  • Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Illinois vs. Kansas
  • Quick Lane Bowl: Northwestern vs. Toledo
The Detroit Paper has Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all going to the higher non-contracted bowls.

Detroit Free Press Big 10 Bowl Projections

Minnesota can still be bowl eligible at 5-7 since apparently they are the top 5 win APR team at present. But I think to your point they can’t be chosen above us at 5 wins.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
go to Phoenix if you win versus going to Detroit if you lose...great motivation to win. :)
Culturally speaking, Detroit seems like such a more interesting city than Phoenix, but that's only if you stay indoors the entire time.

Reactions: NUCat320
Is Wisconsin "resurgent " because they won one game?
My thoughts exactly, they still looked really mediocre and barely beat Nebraska, but Mordecai looked less shaky than he did against us and Braelon Allen is looking healthier. Not sure if they will have all their WRs back.

Odds are that a resurgent Wisconsin will keep Minnesota from becoming bowl eligible and #20 Iowa will likewise deny Nebraska their chance to go to a bowl. That would leave the contractual Big Ten bowl slots filled only if Illinois can squeeze in by a win against Northwestern. Northwestern wins and The Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit, as the last in the pecking order, will remain unfilled. That would move us up to Phoenix based on the just released bowl projections from the Detroit press:

Here’s how the rest of the Big Ten’s teams are projected - (with Illinois winning Saturday)

• Citrus Bowl: Iowa vs. LSU
  • Music City Bowl: Wisconsin vs. Texas A&M
  • Las Vegas Bowl: Maryland vs. USC
  • Pinstripe Bowl: Rutgers vs. Georgia Tech
  • Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Illinois vs. Kansas
  • Quick Lane Bowl: Northwestern vs. Toledo
The Detroit Paper has Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all going to the higher non-contracted bowls.

Detroit Free Press Big 10 Bowl Projections
Is the thinking that even if Rutges loses its final 4 games is 6-6 and NU is 7-5....they still go to the pinstripe due to being local-ish? Would love to play Georgia Tech. Would also love to play Kansas. Not as interested in Toledo.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Is the thinking that even if Rutges loses its final 4 games is 6-6 and NU is 7-5....they still go to the pinstripe due to being local-ish? Would love to play Georgia Tech. Would also love to play Kansas. Not as interested in Toledo.
I’m sure the Pinstripe would jump at the chance for Rutgers and the conference would advocate for that as well.

Phoenix is a great place for old men with money to meet snowbirds. Leaves me out.

Culturally speaking, Detroit seems like such a more interesting city than Phoenix, but that's only if you stay indoors the entire time.
The Ford Museum is definitely worth a visit for those who haven't been. Of course, I already visited during our last Detroit bowl in 2003.

Reactions: rmndcat
Is the old outback bowl not part of this years bowl? Looks like it is on the big site.

I think there is something about if a BIG team goes to the Orange then Outback is out and the assumption is the BIG will have a team headed to the Orange. GoUPurple on HailtoPurple.com has some added commentary on his bowl site that would also be instructive.

Reactions: eddie_gocats
I think there is something about if a BIG team goes to the Orange then Outback is out and the assumption is the BIG will have a team headed to the Orange. GoUPurple on HailtoPurple.com has some added commentary on his bowl site that would also be instructive.
Correct. The Outback Bowl is now called the ReliaQuest Bowl.

From the Big 10 document linked above: The Orange Bowl will select the highest-ranked team from the Big Ten / SEC / Notre Dame to play the ACC champion. When the Big Ten plays in the Orange Bowl, the Big Ten vacates its spot in the ReliaQuest Bowl.

With Nebraska's loss, one down, two to go to assure the Wildcats of the heading to Phoenix instead of Detroit!

Wisconsin needs to beat Minnesota to keep them from edging into the BIG Ten guaranteed bowl line-up and then if the Wildcats beat Illinois which will keep them from leap frogging us then that should leave Detroit without a BIG Ten team. Maybe one of the BIG Ten 5 win teams could get pricked up by Quick Lane under the APR rule, but as a 7 game winner Northwestern should do no worse than Guaranteed Rate in Phoenix which has pecking order rights over Quick Lane.

FWIW both 247 and Action are projecting Northwestern to Phoenix with Illinois going to Detroit which at least in their view suggests that even without winning tomorrow the Wildcats will get picked over the Illini. In addition Yahoo, CBS, and Athlon all have Illinois going bowling as well so their appears to be a consensus against Northwestern beating Illinois.

Well the Big Ten did its part. Wisconsin beat Minnesota and the Wildcats kept Illinois from getting six wins as well. BYU pushed their game to overtime but in the end Oklahoma State pulled it out 40 to 34.

Interestingly in the WGN post game interviews with the players they expressed delight that Detroit is now not an option for our bowl game. When asked where they wanted to go bowling the response from Johnson, the first player was. "We won't be playing in Detroit at least." When Henning was asked a similar question his response was, "Somewhere warm hopefully, it won't be Detroit."

Someone on the team appears to have been following the bowl banter on this board. Not that they needed any additional incentive to win today, but having in mind that a loss would mean Detroit and a win would likely mean Phoenix didn't hurt.

Last edited:
Well the Big Ten did its part. Wisconsin beat Minnesota and the Wildcats kept Illinois from getting six wins as well. BYU pushed their game to overtime but in the end Oklahoma State pulled it out 40 to 34.

Interestingly in the WGN post game interviews with the players they expressed delight that Detroit is now not an option for our bowl game. When asked where they wanted to go bowling the response from Johnson, the first player was. "We won't be playing in Detroit at least." When Henning was asked a similar question his response was, "Somewhere warm hopefully, it won't be Detroit."

Someone on the team appears to have been following the bowl banter on this board. Not that they needed any additional incentive to win today, but having in mind that a loss would mean Detroit and a win would likely mean Phoenix didn't hurt.
I am extremely confident that no one on the team was following the bowl banter on this board.

• Haha
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I am extremely confident that no one on the team was following the bowl banter on this board.

Possibly, but it was here on this board that the either Detroit or Phoenix point was made as being dependent on the factors that in fact fell in place.

So, assuming Michigan wins (though I’d love to see Iowa in a massive upset).

Michigan - CFP
OSU - Orange
PSU - another NY6 bowl?
Iowa - Citrus

We are next in the standings along with Wisconsin. They’re a better draw so they will probably get Music City? Rules say B1G does not go to Reliaquest (Outback) if B1G is in Orange.

Wouldn’t we then be more likely to go to the Las Vegas bowl? The other B1G eligibles are Maryland and Rutgers who are not much bigger draws than us and Pinstripe will want Rutgers.

So, assuming Michigan wins (though I’d love to see Iowa in a massive upset).

Michigan - CFP
OSU - Orange
PSU - another NY6 bowl?
Iowa - Citrus

We are next in the standings along with Wisconsin. They’re a better draw so they will probably get Music City? Rules say B1G does not go to Reliaquest (Outback) if B1G is in Orange.

Wouldn’t we then be more likely to go to the Las Vegas bowl? The other B1G eligibles are Maryland and Rutgers who are not much bigger draws than us and Pinstripe will want Rutgers.
Did some research.

Sounds like ND will get the Outback Bowl (whatever they call it). I also don’t think Penn St is getting a NY6 Bowl.

If that’s the case I think you are looking at:

Penn St: Citrus
Wisconsin: Music City (Iowa can’t play in this bowl again)
Iowa: Las Vegas

I think it will either be NY or Phoenix in this scenario. I don’t think they will allow 6-6 Rutgers to jump 7-5 NU and MD.

Last edited:
Did some research.

Sounds like ND will get the Outback Bowl (whatever they call it). I also don’t think Penn St is getting a NY6 Bowl.

If that’s the case I think you are looking at:

Penn St: Citrus
Wisconsin: Music City (Iowa can’t play in this bowl again)
Iowa: Las Vegas

I think it will either be NY or Phoenix in this scenario. I don’t think they will allow 6-6 Rutgers to jump 7-5 NU and MD.
Just curious why you think Penn State will not get a NY6 Bowl? I haven't seen any projections relegating them to the Citrus.

Minnesota will now be bowling at 5-7.
Apparently there are currently three unfilled spots so if Minnesota has the highest APR that sounds possible. Question though if Minnesota gets in under the APR rule does Quick Lane have the right to take them over say Air Force or the other non Big Ten team that 247 projects playing in Detroit?

I assume that a 5 win Minnesota could not leapfrog a 7 win Northwestern to force the Cats into the Detroit Bowl?

When I initially posted above I didn't realize how close BYU actually came to pulling the upset which would otherwise have most likely had Northwestern matched up against them in Phoenix rather than Kansas as is still being projected at least by 247.

The BYU loss came in a second overtime after both teams had scored touchdowns and since Oklahoma State missed the two point conversion in the second overtime, the Cougars had a chance for the win had they been able to hold onto the ball when it was fumbled. Not sure anyone had expected BYU to be leading at halftime with a score of 24 to 6.

247 First Out with Bowl Projections

Reactions: TheBallCarrier
Apparently there are currently three unfilled spots so if Minnesota has the highest APR that sounds possible. Question though if Minnesota gets in under the APR rule does Quick Lane have the right to take them over say Air Force or the other non Big Ten team that 247 projects playing in Detroit?

I assume that a 5 win Minnesota could not leapfrog a 7 win Northwestern to force the Cats into the Detroit Bowl?

This from College Football News:

"We have 82 teams ready to go for the 2023-2024 bowl season. 79 are eligible with six or more wins, two of the spots are filled up by James Madison and Jacksonville State - able to go now that there aren't enough other eligible teams, and thanks to their high APR, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are eligible for a bowl even after 5-7, unless ...

Navy is 5-6, and will be bowl eligible if it beats Army. However, the bowls likely wouldn't take a 6-6 Navy because it plays a week after the bowl matchups are set."

This from College Football News:

"We have 82 teams ready to go for the 2023-2024 bowl season. 79 are eligible with six or more wins, two of the spots are filled up by James Madison and Jacksonville State - able to go now that there aren't enough other eligible teams, and thanks to their high APR, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are eligible for a bowl even after 5-7, unless ...

Navy is 5-6, and will be bowl eligible if it beats Army. However, the bowls likely wouldn't take a 6-6 Navy because it plays a week after the bowl matchups are set."
Upon further reflection what is to keep a bowl committee conditionally taking Minnesota with the caveat that if Navy becomes bowl eligible with 6 wins they will go? Actually there might even be some rule that would require that result?

Upon further reflection what is to keep a bowl committee conditionally taking Minnesota with the caveat that if Navy becomes bowl eligible with 6 wins they will go? Actually there might even be some rule that would require that result?
I can't imagine that anyone would want that, especially Minnesota. The logistics around bowl game prep are complicated. You can't extend an invitation and then say nevermind a week later.

Just curious why you think Penn State will not get a NY6 Bowl? I haven't seen any projections relegating them to the Citrus.
I don't expect Oklahoma or Ole Miss to get ahead of Penn State for the last at-large spot. However if Oklahoma State were to beat Texas it could put two Big 12 schools in NY6 games and cause a ripple effect of bouncing Penn State.

This actually happened back in 2009, when the EagleBank Bowl conditionally took UCLA unless Army beat Navy. But the bowl selection rules are different now, and I've seen multiple sportswriters say that Navy needed to win its sixth game before the Army game.

This actually happened back in 2009, when the EagleBank Bowl conditionally took UCLA unless Army beat Navy. But the bowl selection rules are different now, and I've seen multiple sportswriters say that Navy needed to win its sixth game before the Army game.
I'm surprised that Navy's APR ranking would be so low. Why would the service academies not have a near-perfect APR score?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Minnesota can still be bowl eligible at 5-7 since apparently they are the top 5 win APR team at present. But I think to your point they can’t be chosen above us at 5 wins.
Minnesota is #8 in APR but one team of head of them, 4-8 Cincinnati, does not have enough wins and the other 6 schools are already bowl eligible with 6+ wins. Effectively, Minnesota is the #1 APR 5-7 team. Two 6+ win FCS to FBS transition schools (Jacksonville State and James Madison) that could only get a bowl bid if there were not enough 6-win schools will get in ahead of Minnesota but there is one spot projected to be available for a 5-7 team and Minnesota's head coach PJ Fleck indicated they would accept any bowl bid if offered.

Minnesota is #8 in APR but one team of head of them, 4-8 Cincinnati, does not have enough wins and the other 6 schools are already bowl eligible with 6+ wins. Effectively, Minnesota is the #1 APR 5-7 team. Two 6+ win FCS to FBS transition schools (Jacksonville State and James Madison) that could only get a bowl bid if there were not enough 6-win schools will get in ahead of Minnesota but there is one spot projected to be available for a 5-7 team and Minnesota's head coach PJ Fleck indicated they would accept any bowl bid if offered.
The winner of Army-Navy will have 6 wins. Army has two victories over FCS teams, whereas for bowl purposes, only one of those wins counts, but I wonder if a 6-win team with two FCS victories would be higher in the pecking order than a 5-win team.

Anyway, of so, then the last bowl slot could be guaranteed to the winner of the Army-Navy game.

It was speculated previously that the bowl would be allowed to choose 5-win Minnesota before we learn the outcome of the Army-Navy game, leaving a 6-win Navy team out of luck. But if we know that the winner of the Army-Navy game (including 6-win Army) qualifies ahead of Minnesota, then I would think that bowl slot should be reserved for the Army-Navy winner.

Styre, you're a research machine!;)

The winner of Army-Navy will have 6 wins. Army has two victories over FCS teams, whereas for bowl purposes, only one of those wins counts, but I wonder if a 6-win team with two FCS victories would be higher in the pecking order than a 5-win team.

Anyway, of so, then the last bowl slot could be guaranteed to the winner of the Army-Navy game.

It was speculated previously that the bowl would be allowed to choose 5-win Minnesota before we learn the outcome of the Army-Navy game, leaving a 6-win Navy team out of luck. But if we know that the winner of the Army-Navy game (including 6-win Army) qualifies ahead of Minnesota, then I would think that bowl slot should be reserved for the Army-Navy winner.

If Army beats Navy, their "official" record for bowl eligibility will be 5-6. The APR category includes any team with a minimum of five wins and a maximum of seven losses, so 5-6 Army would be considered equal to 5-7 Minnesota. Since Minnesota is ahead of Army in APR, Minnesota would still get the bid.

I'm surprised that Navy's APR ranking would be so low. Why would the service academies not have a near-perfect APR score?

If Army beats Navy, their "official" record for bowl eligibility will be 5-6. The APR category includes any team with a minimum of five wins and a maximum of seven losses, so 5-6 Army would be considered equal to 5-7 Minnesota. Since Minnesota is ahead of Army in APR, Minnesota would still get the bid.
Yeah, that is surprising that Minnesota's APR would be ahead of the Service Academies. Guess those Gophers are smarter than we thought they were.

Reactions: drewjin
Seems this even confuses the experts: Bonagura has B1G team in Orange and ReliaQuest
(He has us in Nashville)

Capital One Orange Bowl
Hard Rock Stadium (Miami Gardens, Florida)
4 p.m., ESPN and the ESPN App
Bonagura: Louisville vs. Ohio State
Schlabach: Louisville vs. Ohio State

ReliaQuest Bowl
Raymond James Stadium (Tampa, Florida)
Noon, ESPN2 and the ESPN App
Bonagura: Wisconsin vs. LSU
Schlabach: Notre Dame vs. LSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT