ADVERTISEMENT

Domination over the IllLLLLLini

Palindrome

Jun 19, 2001
Not just a sweet win, but a great launching pad for next season including the Cats’ opportunity to deliver a sixth straight L to the Pumpkinheads in 2020. I feel good for Lovie, and they deserve a tip of the Hat (which can be found in Evanston yet again) for their nice season, but NU leaves them wondering what hit them and knocked them on their orange pants today on their home field.

Here’s the last decade of results. Not total dominance, but pretty close (aka, “convincing"):

2018 Northwestern 24, Illinois 17

The Illini tried to mount a fourth-quarter comeback in Evanston, but the 15-point hole they dug themselves in the first half was too much to overcome.

2017 Northwestern 42, Illinois 7

Illinois actually led in this game. Briefly. The Wildcats’ 42 unanswered points came with four different running backs finding the end zone.

2016 Northwestern 42, Illinois 21
There was no stopping Justin Jackson in Evanston. The NU running back rushed for 173 yards and three touchdowns as the Wildcats never trailed.

2015 Northwestern 24, Illinois 14
Illini quarterback Wes Lunt actually rushed for a touchdown at Soldier Field. But that was the only offensive score to go with Mason Monheim’s pick six.

2014 Illinois 47, Northwestern 33 (Fitz would call it an anomoly}
The Illini’s bowl hopes hinged on beating their rivals, and backup quarterback Reilly O’Toole delivered (three TD passes, 147 rushing yards).

2013 Northwestern 37, Illinois 34
The Wildcats’ Trevor Siemian lit up the Illini for 414 passing yards and four touchdowns. That included two fourth-quarter scores.

2012 Northwestern 50, Illinois 14
Illinois’ ninth straight loss of the season was a mixture of miscues (four turnovers) and a brutally efficient Wildcats’ offense.

2011 Illinois 38, Northwestern 35 (Hiccup late in the game)

Nathan Scheelhaase put up 426 total yards and four scores, lifting the Illini to a dramatic comeback win at Memorial Stadium.

2010 Illinois 48, Northwestern 27 (Chalk it up to the odd venue)
The Illini secured bowl eligibility at Wrigley Field with Mikel Leshoure rushing (one way) for 330 yards and two touchdowns.

2009 Northwestern 21, Illinois 16
On their Dad’s Day, the Illini scored 13 fourth quarter points but still fell to Mike Kafka and the Wildcats.

Last edited:
Fitz is 10-4 vs the Illini.

Last 17 games we are 13-4. Going back to Randy Walker days

Go Cats!

ps Illini fans on rivals and the other college football site which I won't link as a courtesy to LouV-- they are pissssseeeeddd off.

Last edited:
I think it had less to do with the venue and more to do with Dan Persa watching the game from the sidelines with a torn Achilles tendon.
Yup. That was a brutal finish to a promising season. Hopefully we redeem ourselves at Wrigley next year.

If you want to read some awesome posts, head over to a few of their message boards. Classic stuff.

Agreed. Those who doubt this is a rivalry should see how the Illinois fans are handling the loss.

Their boards make me soooo happy.

See ‘ya next year, Illini.

Reactions: NUCat320
Read the one clown on Champaign Room's prediction post who said Illini would win 38-0. Hilarious!

If you want to read some awesome posts, head over to a few of their message boards. Classic stuff.
I love how many posts they have blaming injuries for the loss. They got dominated by a team that has the most injuries I’ve ever seen.

I think it had less to do with the venue and more to do with Dan Persa watching the game from the sidelines with a torn Achilles tendon.

And a defense that couldn’t figure out how to read a simple inside trap.

Reactions: phatcat
I found this quote telling:

“Lovie knew he's already secure (enough) that the better option is to give Fitzy just enough reason to keep McCall to setup a win next year when he needs it more. Going for the long con. At least that's what I'm choosing to believe to abate my sadness.”

Even our opponents know McCall sucks.

that 2014 loss reminds me of yesterdays game except in reverse.....Reilly Otoole was a big qb...who had some tough runs and timely passes........this year it was our guy......some tough runs and timely passes

Last 17 games we are 13-4. Going back to Randy Walker days

Go Cats!.

The Pumpkinheads lucked out a couple of times w/ the starting NU QB getting knocked out for the rest of the season shortly or right before the rivalry game (Persa, Siemian).

If the 'Cats had to win 1 B1G game, glad it was against the U of CU - to not only keep the streak alive at 5, but to get that much closer to tying the series and then getting the upperhand.

The Pumpkinheads have had 7-win streaks twice against the 'Cats (the 2nd time during the Dark Ages), so would love it if the 'Cats can break that and get their streak to 8 (which would also put NU ahead in the series).

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT