ADVERTISEMENT

Duke

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
I watched a little bit of the Duke v UCF game. The deciding play occurred when Duke missed a free throw, got the rebound and scored a put back 2. The replay clearly shows the Duke player pushing the UCF player under the basket, gaining position ,allowing the rebound and score. Great play if you get away with it

I watched a little bit of the Duke v UCF game. The deciding play occurred when Duke missed a free throw, got the rebound and scored a put back 2. The replay clearly shows the Duke player pushing the UCF player under the basket, gaining position ,allowing the rebound and score. Great play if you get away with it
And the reason Zion was even on the line is because the refs swallowed their whistles on a pretty clear charge on his way to the hoop.

Reactions: drewjin and GOUNUII
Yeah, kinda looked that way, didn't it?
I don't think the refs were favoring Duke all night, so its not like there is some Duke conspiracy. I just think when a big moment came late in the game, the refs decided they didn't want to be involved.

Reactions: Bwm57
Not to mention how incredibly lucky Duke was that the UCF guard missed a layup and then a forward missed the tip in both of which look like how they could have gone in the basket.

And the reason Zion was even on the line is because the refs swallowed their whistles on a pretty clear charge on his way to the hoop.

I am not a Duke fan, but it was not a charge. The UCF center was clearly inside the semicircle.

Make that a very clear lower the shoulder and knock the defender to the floor charge. Followed by the sound of 3 whistles being swallowed. Almost as bad as 6 eyes ( and only those 6 eyes ) not seeing an arm through the basket goal tending followed by a gutless technical foul.

I hate really bad, game changing officiating. Including the no call on the missed FT that gave Duke yet another 2 points.

GOUNUII

Reactions: drewjin
I am not a Duke fan, but it was not a charge. The UCF center was clearly inside the semicircle.
Before he collided with Tacko Fall, he ran over the UCF guard that was trying to defend him.

Reactions: drewjin
I don't think the refs were favoring Duke all night, so its not like there is some Duke conspiracy. I just think when a big moment came late in the game, the refs decided they didn't want to be involved.
I'd buy that. Human nature being what it is, I understand it . . . but it'd be nice to see a ref rise above that in a defining moment once in a while.

They were damn lucky. MSU could have used a different outcome, since that was diluted Duke, not something that happens often. Go Green.

When Duke basketball loses...

A cute little puppy is born

Dolphins jump out of the ocean through a giant rainbow

A unicorn prances out of the morning mist into a field of gold

A baby finds his noosha

A beautiful woman on the boardwalk gives a lonely man a long admiring glance over her sun-splashed shoulders

A teenager on the bus gives up a seat to an elderly person

A poor man gives his last dollar to a cancer charity

The grass in my yard gets a little greener

A dropped beer bottle does not break

Long lost friends get together again

You can hear the earth turning.

You should go to Vegas. No way I saw that one coming. Did Goins start as a walk-on at MSU? Amazing clutch play by him.
You truly didn't see that coming? Duke is WAY overrated, and should have lost to UCF two rounds ago...

You truly didn't see that coming? Duke is WAY overrated, and should have lost to UCF two rounds ago...

Everyone apparently forgot about the Michigan blowout of North Cheatolina, although that was early in the season. I've seen nothing to indicate this past season that the best in the B1G can't play with any team in the country, and no league was stronger top to bottom. Virginia was damn lucky to beat Purdue.

I thought the Spartans were a "little short" of Final 4 talent when Langford, their best shooter, went down, but they have been amazing, playing shorthanded. Hope they can get it done. And yes, Duke had issues (missing free throws and erratic three point shooting) but their individual talent was amazing. Then again, basketball is a team game...

When Duke basketball loses...

A cute little puppy is born

Dolphins jump out of the ocean through a giant rainbow

A unicorn prances out of the morning mist into a field of gold

A baby finds his noosha

A beautiful woman on the boardwalk gives a lonely man a long admiring glance over her sun-splashed shoulders

A teenager on the bus gives up a seat to an elderly person

A poor man gives his last dollar to a cancer charity

The grass in my yard gets a little greener

A dropped beer bottle does not break

Long lost friends get together again

You can hear the earth turning.

And people take me off IGNORE.

C’mon, in this world of dreamy things, I become the ideal poster.

Reactions: Noah121
You've got to play good defense and win at least one game on pure luck if you are going to win the national championship. Go Hoos.

I thought the Spartans were a "little short" of Final 4 talent when Langford, their best shooter, went down, but they have been amazing, playing shorthanded. Hope they can get it done. And yes, Duke had issues (missing free throws and erratic three point shooting) but their individual talent was amazing. Then again, basketball is a team game...
That was just a heck of an Elite Eight round all around. 4 excellent basketball games. Duke MSU was great. Purdue Virginia was one of the wildest displays of outside shooting I've seen. Very impressive and fun to watch.

That was just a heck of an Elite Eight round all around. 4 excellent basketball games. Duke MSU was great. Purdue Virginia was one of the wildest displays of outside shooting I've seen. Very impressive and fun to watch.
Yep, talk about a night and day tourney. Most of the games were devoid of any suspense until we had 4 great games . The first two rounds were awful compared to what we have been accustomed to.

Reactions: Noah121
You should go to Vegas. No way I saw that one coming. Did Goins start as a walk-on at MSU? Amazing clutch play by him.
Apparently. He was from Warren Mich. But it is not like NU and MSU walk ons are at the same level

Last edited:
Dook has the same problem as the 'Cats; can't shoot and prone to making bad turnovers.

The diff. is that they have Zion - who had the best Tourney (for a frosh or equivalent) since a certain someone named Lewis Alcindor (back then, frosh didn't play so Kareem played for the 1st time in the NCAAs as a Soph).

For a team filled w/ 4/5* recruits, really lacking in quality bench players/subs.

The fact that Zion rarely touched the ball in the last 2 minutes of pretty much all the games Dook played is on the coaching staff.

Dook has the same problem as the 'Cats; can't shoot and prone to making bad turnovers.

The diff. is that they have Zion - who had the best Tourney (for a frosh or equivalent) since a certain someone named Lewis Alcindor (back then, frosh didn't play so Kareem played for the 1st time in the NCAAs as a Soph).

For a team filled w/ 4/5* recruits, really lacking in quality bench players/subs.

The fact that Zion rarely touched the ball in the last 2 minutes of pretty much all the games Dook played is on the coaching staff.

Call me everything you want to call me, but in terms of differences w NU, it was much, much more that Zion.

Call me everything you want to call me, but in terms of differences w NU, it was much, much more that Zion.
Yea, they just happen to have 3 OTHER kids that will be drafted (2 being high lottery picks).

Reactions: IGNORE

On them or because of the MSU D?

LOL!

Of course, but one opposing player or coach stated that Dook's system was basically the lead guard dominating the ball and having the other 4 spread out to shoot the 3 (aside from the time Zion got the ball); a big criticism of Coach K's coaching was not getting Zion the ball enough in crunch time), much less setting up plays that cater to what Zion does best.

In contrast, an observation about MSU is that they keep going thru their offense until they find an open shot.

My remark basically was that CC is either going to have to upgrade the talent level significantly (if he wants to continue running the same system) or tweak/add things to the system which can somewhat alleviate the talent level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT