ADVERTISEMENT

Enough of the 'tween down cacophony at future home games...

The_Waterboy

May 29, 2001
I understand that it's the new millennium and all, but the greatly over-amp'd DJ-driven audio tracks played between downs is more than a distraction... it's a simultaneous assault on both the mind and the ears of those fans in the stands. Who in whatever alternate universe thought that this mindless cacophony was "entertaining" and/or "enhanced the in-game experience" has clearly lost touch of reality. This obnoxiously L-O-U-D audio drivel isn't merely distracting, it's all downright pure crappola and an ear-splitting do-nothing affront laid on the senses of everyone in attendance.

We members in good standing of Wildcat Nation absolutely must protest this mindless audio assault and organize a grass-roots petition to the Dyche's Ditch powers-that-be to either curtail this dog-lay audio all-together or at least direct its inter-down air-play as a sound-off to highlight an appropriate critical/important down within the context of the current offensive or defensive series at hand. Hell, how often did this crappola drivel drown-out the NUMB play or an organized cheer from the NU cheer squad? Right now, it's an embarrassment and far below what constitutes quality game-time experience.

I understand that it's the new millennium and all, but the greatly over-amp'd DJ-driven audio tracks played between downs is more than a distraction... it's a simultaneous assault on both the mind and the ears of those fans in the stands. Who in whatever alternate universe thought that this mindless cacophony was "entertaining" and/or "enhanced the in-game experience" has clearly lost touch of reality. This obnoxiously L-O-U-D audio drivel isn't merely distracting, it's all downright pure crappola and an ear-splitting do-nothing affront laid on the senses of everyone in attendance.

We members in good standing of Wildcat Nation absolutely must protest this mindless audio assault and organize a grass-roots petition to the Dyche's Ditch powers-that-be to either curtail this dog-lay audio all-together or at least direct its inter-down air-play as a sound-off to highlight an appropriate critical/important down within the context of the current offensive or defensive series at hand. Hell, how often did this crappola drivel drown-out the NUMB play or an organized cheer from the NU cheer squad? Right now, it's an embarrassment and far below what constitutes quality game-time experience.

I'm largely in agreement with you and can confirm that over-amped audio tracks have entered the world of Division II sports as well. I'm not the fun police and have no trouble with the younger among us hearing their tunes, but I don't think it's necessary to bust eardrums while doing so.

Also, the practice of playing nothing but recent rap and hip-hop when half or more of the spectators are probably in the over 45 age bracket at a typical game gets old.

I went to a Twins game recently and they did the same thing between every pitch. Argggggh!

Not trying to be an old man yelling at the clouds, but why would anyone do something to distract/cover up one of the most unique aspects of college football? That of course being the cheers and marching band. The blue blood programs understand this.
It's been sad to watch the decline of high school bands in my area. Some are half the size they were just a few years ago. With many kids working jobs to buy cars or other goodies, there has been a decline in afterschool extracurricular participation. Also, college-bound kids often try to put a little money aside for that. From participating in scholarship committees I've unfortunately learned that some parents, faced with the fact that they can't cover their kids' college expenses with today's increased costs, decide the solution is to not give the kids much help at all.

College bands, since they can draw from multiple high school bands, at least seem to be able to keep their numbers up for now. Big 10 bands seem to be healthy on the whole, while my local Division II alma mater seems to have set a target of about 140 members and has attained it without much problem. Bands certainly are a unique aspect of school football that I'd hate to see us lose.

I couldn't agree more. One of the most enjoyable aspects of attend sporting events in person, and especially college football, is being able to talk to the people around me between plays to discuss or bitch about the game. Having the blaring so-called music makes that nearly impossible. Hate it. But this seems to be the rage in every sport all almost every level, which is one reason I have stopped attending most sporting events in person above the HS level. Now get off my lawn!!

Reactions: drewjin
Between the scoreboard clown show, the between play sound bites blasting over scratchy, overworked audio, and the tired "Move. Those. Chains," watching a game at Ryan Field has become an adventure in live sports cognitive dissonance.

Everything about the architecture and ambiance of Ryan Field says "old school", but not in a bad way. The stone facade, twin towers, good sight lines, grass turf, and view of surrounding forest are a reminder that you are watching a college football game. I'm all good with that, as long as the product on the field is modern and competitive. RF is truly a good place to watch a college football game.

But the "entertainment" foisted upon us between the entertainment on the field strikes me a cheap attempt to turn the gameday experience into something it is not, and should not be. Why blare cuts of hip hop pop when you have a world class band at hand? Why not let the cheerleaders cheer? Is Willy being kept on a leash somewhere?

NU fans are not partyers. We are older, mellower, and contemplative. We like to study the game. Our senses are tuned to the field, not the scoreboard. We like to converse. Sometimes we cheer. Often, we sit and stare. Stop treating us like windup toys.

Between the scoreboard clown show, the between play sound bites blasting over scratchy, overworked audio, and the tired "Move. Those. Chains," watching a game at Ryan Field has become an adventure in live sports cognitive dissonance.

Everything about the architecture and ambiance of Ryan Field says "old school", but not in a bad way. The stone facade, twin towers, good sight lines, grass turf, and view of surrounding forest are a reminder that you are watching a college football game. I'm all good with that, as long as the product on the field is modern and competitive. RF is truly a good place to watch a college football game.

But the "entertainment" foisted upon us between the entertainment on the field strikes me a cheap attempt to turn the gameday experience into something it is not, and should not be. Why blare cuts of hip hop pop when you have a world class band at hand? Why not let the cheerleaders cheer? Is Willy being kept on a leash somewhere?

NU fans are not partyers. We are older, mellower, and contemplative. We like to study the game. Our senses are tuned to the field, not the scoreboard. We like to converse. Sometimes we cheer. Often, we sit and stare. Stop treating us like windup toys.
Let’s not pretend that the traditional Ryan Field atmosphere was good or at all motivating for the team. With the exception of a few games, it has always sucked. A bunch of old people offended when people around them stand. I am old but anything to distract from the silence or the other team cheering is fine with me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT