ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN layoffs

beetlemania74

Dec 7, 2008
Lots of layoffs happening today in the ESPN family. Gone are several of the Big Ten football bloggers, including Brian Bennett, whom I've enjoyed reading over the years.

Also gone is Danny Kannell, Fitz's favorite football analyst. Karma for dissing the 'Cats, Danny! (Is that in bad taste to joke about?)

Ha ha. I won't miss Kanell and his cheesy wardrobe to go with his inane commentary. He might have a future on one of those Hollywood-oriented "reporting" shows.

Heard Ed Werder got the axe on Mully and Hanley. Too bad. He was solid and not some caricature of a comedy show like Kiper.

Wow... Ed Werder and Jayson Stark shown the door as well. I imagine they will all find work again, but wonder what the shake-up means. Is ESPN struggling or just trying to something different?

Wow... Ed Werder and Jayson Stark shown the door as well. I imagine they will all find work again, but wonder what the shake-up means. Is ESPN struggling or just trying to something different?
They are struggling. Major subscriber losses from what I have heard. Sounds like they can no longer keep jacking up prices for their content and the cable companies meekly oblige.

ESPN has been bleeding subscribers due to cord-cutters, but are still on the hook for hundreds of millions in exclusive sports deals for years to come. I've seen a bunch of such articles in the last year or so.

I wonder how lucrative the BTN will be in the long run. Did we saddle ourselves with Rutgers over a cable model that is becoming obsolete before our eyes?

Here is what Kannell tweeted.

Poured my heart and soul into ESPN for last 8 years. Moved my wife and 3 kids to CT to go "all in" 5 years ago. Bummed it ended in 3 minutes

He really is kind of douche. Always about him.

Well, come on. Huge life change in 3 minutes. I didn't really like the guy but for the first few days it is all about you.

Well, come on. Huge life change in 3 minutes. I didn't really like the guy but for the first few days it is all about you.
There is a web site that is tracking the layoffs by featuring tweets from others let go. Basically all of the others were of the nature "Had a great X number of years at ESPN. I will miss the many fine people there." or something to that effect.

Kanell sounds like a narcissistic baby. I understand if he feels betrayed, but you don't tweet that type of stuff. Take the high road.

They have been struggling. Lots of people cutting the cord leads to reduced revenue. Until Disney figures away to direct bill and provide content to those cord cutters...

Or gets SEC support to pay better.

I was just about to say (although maybe too low of a blow), boy I sure do wish Cris Collinsworth worked for ESPN instead of NBC/NFL Network . . .

There is a web site that is tracking the layoffs by featuring tweets from others let go. Basically all of the others were of the nature "Had a great X number of years at ESPN. I will miss the many fine people there." or something to that effect.

Kanell sounds like a narcissistic baby. I understand if he feels betrayed, but you don't tweet that type of stuff. Take the high road.

I'm guessing that you missed the second part of his Tweet, which is as follows: "But totally get it. All part of a business that is rapidly changing. Thankful for the opportunity I was given and people I got to work with!"

I'm no fan of Kanell, but can't help but to be sympathetic to him and all the impacted ESPN employees. I've been on both sides of the layoff equation through my career, and both suck.

ESPN has been bleeding subscribers due to cord-cutters, but are still on the hook for hundreds of millions in exclusive sports deals for years to come. I've seen a bunch of such articles in the last year or so.

I wonder how lucrative the BTN will be in the long run. Did we saddle ourselves with Rutgers over a cable model that is becoming obsolete before our eyes?
In all seriousness - do people watch BTN other than for games? They seem to have a ton of studio shows

I'm guessing that you missed the second part of his Tweet, which is as follows: "But totally get it. All part of a business that is rapidly changing. Thankful for the opportunity I was given and people I got to work with!"

I'm no fan of Kanell, but can't help but to be sympathetic to him and all the impacted ESPN employees. I've been on both sides of the layoff equation through my career, and both suck.

Thanks for sharing that. I only saw that one Tweet. That's more like it.

Reactions: rmndcat
Is this a result of just trying to televise too many games?

Apparently not the main problem. See post number seven in this thread by Feral. They have been losing a lot of money for several years and cutting back on a lot of things, just not as visible as today

Ha ha. I won't miss Kanell and his cheesy wardrobe to go with his inane commentary. He might have a future on one of those Hollywood-oriented "reporting" shows.

Heard Ed Werder got the axe on Mully and Hanley. Too bad. He was solid and not some caricature of a comedy show like Kiper.

Gave up on him after he said the B1G wouldn't win a single bowl game a couple of years ago (they won five). That was some of the most stupid commentary I'd every heard on a sports network.

At some point, I have to believe that the sports TV bubble will burst. I don't know how networks can continue to pay these exorbitant rights fees.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I would also suggest that conference networks like BTN are also part of the reason ESPN is struggling. I know my hours watching ESPN have dropped sharply since BTN was launched. Don't believe I am the only one

According to then latest data I could find (2016) BTN was fairly profitable; scroll down to the bottom of this article, for example: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-pay-salary-compensation-television/84553752/

Reactions: cat inkansas
ESPN is history! You got the golf channel,BT Network,etc! Everyone knows all you need is a studio! Did you know wrassler helped get started a NU tv wrestling show in 1999-2000? It ran for 2/half years! I did some fundraising and was also a tv commentator for the BT matches! We did it thru Evanston Cable! True story

The only way to make money these days is thru subscription! No one advertises on BT Network or the golf channel,but they have loyal followers! ESPN is bankrupt

At some point, I have to believe that the sports TV bubble will burst. I don't know how networks can continue to pay these exorbitant rights fees.

Looks like we will be happy that NU built it's $400,000,000.00 sports upgrades with out borrowing against future TV revenues. We will have the best facility just as the money dries up for everyone else. Good luck to the state schools who rely on tax dollars for the arms race.

ESPN is history! You got the golf channel,BT Network,etc! Everyone knows all you need is a studio! Did you know wrassler helped get started a NU tv wrestling show in 1999-2000? It ran for 2/half years! I did some fundraising and was also a tv commentator for the BT matches! We did it thru Evanston Cable! True story
I thought you covered the WWF?

The first day or two after you are laid off really sucks, no matter what the circumstances. I feel really sorry for those impacted, especially those who did not see it coming.

Yes. It's all going pay per view soon. This notion of attracting regional eyeballs in NY/NJ for the basic package is as dead long term as Jimmy Hoffa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT