ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN layoffs

My son announces for ESPN and I believe I posted several years ago that ESPN was in deep financial straits as its programming was being removed from basic tier and facing pressure from regional networks.
Several of their highest level of administrators tried to convince the Disney group to change their business model before it was to late but they were not listened to and moved on voluntarily before the network collapses
ESPN has expanded its digital footprint and hopefully will survive but it has enormous rights fees obligations that may not be met

Nice article that explains the ESPN problems and potential solutions: http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-layoffs-saving-sportscenter-2017-4
This might as well have been written be ESPN. Corporate-speak drivel.

"It's the money, stupid."

Firing Doug Granville or Jerry Punch or most everyone else who was fired has nothing to do with updating the SportsCenter brand. It has to do with saving money.

Counterpoint: This solves nothing
https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin...ffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629/amp

My son announces for ESPN and I believe I posted several years ago that ESPN was in deep financial straits as its programming was being removed from basic tier and facing pressure from regional networks.
Several of their highest level of administrators tried to convince the Disney group to change their business model before it was to late but they were not listened to and moved on voluntarily before the network collapses
ESPN has expanded its digital footprint and hopefully will survive but it has enormous rights fees obligations that may not be met
They've made tremendously aggressive rights fees plays and are suffering the winner's curse, over and over and over, for years. In the meantime, they've lost the Word Cup, which is probably the largest *growth* property in the US.

http://deadspin.com/espns-uncertain-future-is-already-here-1753901086

Campus Eats! (but not really)

How many times can you see Mustard's as NUs entry?

Not as many times as I can watch Jenny.....

I am only going to warn you once. Do not say one bad word about Jenny. I believe it is against rivals terms of service anyway.

For all you Mustard's and Jenny fans:

From BTN (Click to Enlarge)

IMG_1571_zpsrceu5jxj.jpg
IMG_1581_zpsw7dq1h12.jpg
IMG_1583_zpsotayuwor.jpg
IMG_1553_zpskfwnce0w.jpg
IMG_1546_zpstkodng2r.jpg
IMG_1614_zpsloyp6c1f.jpg
IMG_1563_zpseaj1plww.jpg
IMG_1542_zpsbmfuvbsb.jpg

From Homecoming
IMG_0982_zpswhml1hhb.jpg
IMG_0983_zps6mbajfrj.jpg

.... and on a personal note while speaking of news broadcasters, my newscaster daughter-in-law (formerly as a White House Correspondent, and of ABC's KITV in Hawaii) will be appearing tomorrow night (Friday 4/28) on CBS in a brief speaking role as a "Female Doctor" on Hawaii Five-0.

Pictured in the first photo with the President on Air Force One and in the second as her character tomorrow night on Hawaii Five-0:
IMG_4377_zpspwlhg65c.jpg
IMG_6633_zpskobip4nu.jpg

Confirmation (in the form of the released "Guest Cast" credits) that her appearance and role was not cut.
IMG_7526_zps3sr8gkgv.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NJCat
This might as well have been written be ESPN. Corporate-speak drivel.

"It's the money, stupid."

Firing Doug Granville or Jerry Punch or most everyone else who was fired has nothing to do with updating the SportsCenter brand. It has to do with saving money.

Counterpoint: This solves nothing
https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin...ffs-are-just-a-way-to-buy-time-1794678629/amp
In economic terms, it sounds as if ESPN has very high fixed costs (broadcast rights) and relatively low variable costs, but can only manage the latter in the near term. In a declining revenue situation, this can be catastrophic. It reminds me a bit of the airline business, which is a great place for investors to lose money.

Yes. It's all going pay per view soon. This notion of attracting regional eyeballs in NY/NJ for the basic package is as dead long term as Jimmy Hoffa.

BTN or ESPN? I highly doubt we'll be seeing true across-the-board pay-per-view for quite a long time if ever.

They are struggling. Major subscriber losses from what I have heard. Sounds like they can no longer keep jacking up prices for their content and the cable companies meekly oblige.
The Mad Cow network is bleeding ESPN dry:(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT