ADVERTISEMENT

Evanston is in the news tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
Big time. But then, who cares? This board should be a forum for NU football, as related to the University and the community. The boards have become narrow, boring, censored, pathetic representations of journalism, for whatever reason. Delete this post and I am DONE, after 13,687 posts. The boards have become hollow shadows of their former selves. Time to re-evaluate or just give it up.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

Big time. But then, who cares? This board should be a forum for NU football, as related to the University and the community. The boards have become narrow, boring, censored, pathetic representations of journalism, for whatever reason. Delete this post and I am DONE, after 13,687 posts. The boards have become hollow shadows of their former selves. Time to re-evaluate or just give it up.
Care to elaborate?

Reactions: stpaulcat
83bl21.jpg

"Hamas released a mother and daughter from Evanston who had been held hostage. This is objectively good news."

No, it is GREAT news and I am delighted. And it is something that should be discussed on a rant board if we had one, not here because I can see no connection to NU football.

I think the things that belong on here are -

1. Things about our football team (duh).

2. Things about college and occasionally pro football as well, for example, the weird New England field goal block - viable strategy? Potential coaches? Weird plays in other games? Teams on the upswing, downswing. Blown ref calls in other games. None of these are directly about NU but I feel belong on a college board.

3. Things about politics and current events but only if there is a decent connection to our football team. NU students protesting Isreal or the opposite, protesting Hamas, doesn't belong here. Neither does stuff about Biden or Trump or abortion or Ukraine or the death penalty or taxes. But a political issue like "Evanston Proposes 40 dollar "ticket surcharge" on all live entertainment events in Evanston does. (Note there is no such proposal, I just made up and example).

4. I personally think rare harmless things that most can relate to and are completely uncontroversial are okay as well. If a local institution like Hecky's was closing down or some other "student favorite" (like the Burger King) it would be nice to hear about. Same goes of any other student social life thing - Waa Mu cancelled? (No, relax, it is not, it's another made up example).

5. Personal postings that affect the message board community and overall "team community". I refer, sadly, to news a few posters no longer being with us. But sometimes the news can be good along the lines of "My daughter just got accepted", former Northwestern player nominated to be Ambassador to Australia type stuff, that should be okay.

6. Polite visiting fans should always be welcome. Frankly I wish there was more board cross-over (there was in the early 2000s, I always found the back and forth to be fun....well, 99 percent of the time anyway...).

Last edited:
"Hamas released a mother and daughter from Evanston who had been held hostage. This is objectively good news."

No, it is GREAT news and I am delighted. And it is something that should be discussed on a rant board if we had one, not here because I can see no connection to NU football.

I think the things that belong on here are -

1. Things about our football team (duh).

2. Things about college and occasionally pro football as well, for example, the weird New England field goal block - viable strategy? Potential coaches? Weird plays in other games? Teams on the upswing, downswing. Blown ref calls in other games. None of these are directly about NU but I feel belong on a college board.

3. Things about politics and current events but only if there is a decent connection to our football team. NU students protesting Isreal or the opposite, protesting Hamas, doesn't belong here. Neither does stuff about Biden or Trump or abortion or Ukraine or the death penalty or taxes. But a political issue like "Evanston Proposes 40 dollar "ticket surcharge" on all live entertainment events in Evanston does. (Note there is no such proposal, I just made up and example).

4. I personally think rare harmless things that most can relate to and are completely uncontroversial are okay as well. If a local institution like Hecky's was closing down or some other "student favorite" (like the Burger King) it would be nice to hear about. Same goes of any other student social life thing - Waa Mu cancelled? (No, relax, it is not, it's another made up example).

5. Personal postings that affect the message board community and overall "team community". I refer, sadly, to news a few posters no longer being with us. But sometimes the news can be good along the lines of "My daughter just got accepted", former Northwestern player nominated to be Ambassador to Australia type stuff, that should be okay.

6. Polite visiting fans should always be welcome. Frankly I wish there was more board cross-over (there was in the early 2000s, I always found the back and forth....well, 99 percent of the time anyway...).

You’ve got my vote. @Eurocat for moderator. Heck you can be Speaker of the House while you’re at it!

Absolutely, and I'm sure there are many communities where this can be discussed and celebrated.
Mine wasn't a rant about you, but about what seems to be a trend. In this case, it just happens that this is most important news, we're all connected with Evanston, and Evanston is the home of NU football. Cappy, I believe you to be a good moderator.

Cappy is a terrific moderator. My comments were not meant as criticism, I was just throwing out an approach.

Lord knows I would not want his job, too big of a headache!

Reactions: drewjin
One idea that Cappy SHOULD consider is something they do on the OSU fan board "The OZone".

NO discussions on the board....about the board.

NO knocking of other posters. No questions about "why was my post deleted". Frankly no threads like this one.

Here is the exact text of the relevant part -

• Off-topic posts, including meta-discussions (for example admin actions). If you have a problem with moderation policy, take it up with the forum owner, offline.
That really solves 90 percent of problems. Long threads are not created about how "X" is a bad poster or why topic "Y" does not belong. The admins decide, if you have a problem, write them offline. Solves many problems that way and the board does not become cluttered with complaints about the board itself.

They do use common sense leeway though. There is a point about "no posts that boost up a commercial enterprise", but I am sure if OSU had something like our late great beloved "Let's Tailgate" or a former NU player opened up a sports bar in Wrigleyville, positive stuff like that about a store or bar or website would be allowed in. You can't be TOO pedantic about stuff, you have to be reasonable and use some common sense.

Here are the other rules. Pretty sane policies and that is a fun college board -

GO CATS!

One idea that Cappy SHOULD consider is something they do on the OSU fan board "The OZone".

NO knocking of other posters. No questions about "why was my post deleted". Frankly no threads like this one.

• Off-topic posts, including meta-discussions (for example admin actions). If you have a problem with moderation policy, take it up with the forum owner, offline.
That really solves 90 percent of problems. Long threads are not created about how "X" is a bad poster or why topic "Y" does not belong. The admins decide, if you have a problem, write them offline. Solves many problems that way and the board does not become cluttered with complaints about the board itself.

Here are the other rules. Pretty sane policies and that is a fun college board -

GO CATS!
Except we are NOT dOSU!!

Cappy is a terrific moderator. My comments were not meant as criticism, I was just throwing out an approach.

Lord knows I would not want his job, too big of a headache!

reminds me of my workplace. we have a colleague who complains about everything. always has an axe to grind. they asked her to be "the chief complaint officer." she's supposed to work with senior leadership and HR to ameliorate things. she resigned the post after a few weeks. she thought it was too much work. we haven't heard a complaint from her since.

They do use common sense leeway though. There is a point about "no posts that boost up a commercial enterprise", but I am sure if OSU had something like our late great beloved "Let's Tailgate" or a former NU player opened up a sports bar in Wrigleyville, positive stuff like that about a store or bar or website would be allowed in. You can't be TOO pedantic about stuff, you have to be reasonable and use some common sense.

GO CATS!
You must live in the land of milk and honey if you can control the posters. We need less moderation not more.

I would like to join the movement if there was a movement I could believe in.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2

Falling on your own sword pretty hard there, amigo. The rules are pretty clear at this point, what are you trying to prove?

Hell yea, brother! If @CappyNU can’t see the connection between the Israel-Hamas conflict and our football team then this country is LOST! I’ve personally tuned in to a little known website called x.com to get my news. Lots of like-minded patriots there who are discussing the REAL ISSUES. For example, I don’t think this lame-stream football message board would DARE allow us to discuss whether Sleepy Schill’s ineffectual leadership was to blame for the attacks on Israel. Lots of people are blaming Garbage Gragg for rising interest rates! Is it true? I don’t know, but lots of people are saying it. SAD!

GO CATS!

Do they have a Premium Basketball Board??

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Falling on your own sword pretty hard there, amigo. The rules are pretty clear at this point, what are you trying to prove?
Prove? Nothing. Just reflecting on the history of these boards. Back in the good old days, before the Rant board and the Rock....a sort of primordial ooze existed, which was as it's name implies--in a fluid state. As then, the boards are still governed by certain principles generally accepted by most, although the equivalent of Catholic Orthodoxy has intervened to present an order of things designed to preserve the orthodoxy, rather than create a vibrant forum that considers NU Football as connected to a larger world. If it were not, we would not have our weekly "Haiku", which relates and compares NU football to all manner of things. Blinders are for carriage horses. Now, time for kickoff!!

Last edited:
Absolutely, and I'm sure there are many communities where this can be discussed and celebrated.
No - not among the minds we prefer to have this discussion. Even as a conservative, I find the Fox message boards to be full of low brow crap. I rather talk to my friends, my peers and corbi. (See - I played nice w gcg and csc!)

Reactions: drewjin
I posted another idea along with a poll. Probably a few folks can’t see it - cuz they really ignore me. Spread the word. Let’s get some participating on the poll. Seems like a reasonable ask with high potential reward for minimal risk.

GO CATS!
The OZone?

That’s the one Buckeye board that did not ban me. Somebody was asleep at the wheel.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Well since this thread about "not football" is apparently okay, let me throw this in for fun.

Kenneth Chesebro just pled guilty in the big election fraud case in Atlanta... Co-conspirator and supposed "mastermind" of the scheme.

Northwestern University School of Communications, Class of 1983.

Interesting life. Lawyer makes fortune as early bitcoin investor. Dumps wife, marries 21 year old.

Wow.

This reads as a copy from an "evil villain" edition of a knockoff Madlibs book purchased on Temu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT