ADVERTISEMENT

Adult in the room

IGNORE2

Mar 12, 2005
Game has been over for a bit. Been thinking about the program. I’ma fan at the end of the day - a very unhappy one.

I got to thinking about how many times we talk about the adult in the room. Recently in politics. Also recently in school boards. Often with young adults. It’s a norm of sorts.

I think objectively:
  • The program has significant losing judging over past several years
  • Coach has alienated mainstream media
  • Coach is alienating fan base
  • Serious questions about quality of various assistant coaches and coach is standing firmly behind
  • Ticket sales (incl STH) declining more rapidly than recent times
  • Purple attendance down measurably including students
  • Other related revenue in decline
  • Only publicity is negative and not a good reflection of the university
  • Coach that appears obstinately insistent that all is ok
Meanwhile, other revenue sport struggling mightily (your welcome) and over a billion to be and has been spent on revenue sport upgrades. Usual academic protests among non athletic supporting tenured staff.

Really seems like a giant wave has been allowed to grow. At what point does the adult in the room stand up and say enough. Not Ryan - he and his billions will influence according to his whims. But within the school - the AD, the Pres, the Trustees. The people entrusted to protect the name and reputation of the institution.

NU experienced a dark age laughingstock period involving much smaller dollars. Serious money, potential and spent, are involved now. At what point does the university at some level step in and say no more.

I get that PF is the godsend poster child that rescued the program at a time of misery and took to another level. But it is getting severe…again. And not an isolated instance. A full recruiting cycle with the only positive year one with an asterisk. And not because this program cannot, has not, ever enjoyed success.

Many of you despise me because all you remember is my harping on Springer, Cushing, underperformance. I truly love NU - loved seeing our programs rise up out of the dead as I always thought we could. But it’s going back to that place I experienced as a student. The marshmellow days that my whole B1G alumni family (UoI, IU, MI, Pur) found to be embarrassing for me are here again (dark ages did not begin with winless seasons).

And the smug key wiggling - that’s alright, that’s ok, you will work for us someday - so not what I want to represent me as a person. Like PF and his smug, condescending pressers….

Too long, probably won’t read, I’m just the pariah - but when will the adult in the NU room stand up and say enough. We are, and should be, so much better than all this. The tools are there and the smart folks can utilize them to make this, these, programs renown - like many of our academic programs. Is it really too much to ask?

Oh, no, no, no! I detest the phrase “the adult in the room” with white hot passion. It’s always carefully enunciated with a stern look down the nose from some condescending, humorless, schoolmarm type who is absolutely certain she knows what is best for us but doesn’t. Please, Ignore, I implore you! Come up with something else. Anything else. Please!
Edit! Edit! Edit! 😝🤪😀
Most sincerely,
Your humble servant,
StreamCat

Oh, no, no, no! I detest the phrase “the adult in the room” with white hot passion. It’s always carefully enunciated with a stern look down the nose from some condescending, humorless, schoolmarm type who is absolutely certain she knows what is best for us but doesn’t. Please, Ignore, I implore you! Come up with something else. Anything else. Please!
Edit! Edit! Edit! 😝🤪😀
Most sincerely,
Your humble servant,
StreamCat
I get you. I really can’t come up with anything comparable. And your description describes essentially what is needed.

First, it's "you're welcome "

Second. FITZ DID NOT RESCUE THE PROGRAM. this legend/lie needs to end. Walker was running a competitive program. Up and down, but competitive. Last 3 years were 6, 6 and 7 wins. The 11 years before Fitz include three B1G titles. Fitz?

Fitz has done a TON, but Barney rescued the program.

First, it's "you're welcome "

Second. FITZ DID NOT RESCUE THE PROGRAM. this legend/lie needs to end. Walker was running a competitive program. Up and down, but competitive. Last 3 years were 6, 6 and 7 wins. The 11 years before Fitz include three B1G titles. Fitz?

Fitz has done a TON, but Barney rescued the program.
I meant rescue in that the sudden death really jolted the team. This was during my second stint at NU when I had a couple friends on the team. I remember the texts that went around that morning and throughout the week.

I think the team still underperformed that season if memory is correct but PF quickly stabilized the program during a crisis. In that sense, I suggest he rescued the program.

Reactions: drewjin
I get you. I really can’t come up with anything comparable. And your description describes essentially what is needed.
You original post to start this thread was perfect. The post 2018 handling of the program by Fitz is nothing short of mind boggling. The new sports complex is nice, but will not have the desired effect of bringing in loads of top recruits. I have stated in a old post that OSU finished the Woody Hayes complex til 1987, when they were already established as a CFB superpower. Michigan's new facilities aren't a decade old if I am not mistaken. Somebody needs to tell Ryan to back off. Just throwing money at something isn't a cure all, no matter the amount. The man doesn't understand what the new culture of modern CFB is. It is all about TV markets and putting butts into the actual seats. Kids come to a program that will fulfill their dream of getting to the NFL, that is if they are a 4-5 ⭐ recruit. 3 ⭐ kids might be the ones that are there for the education or just gambling that maybe they can make a go of it and make the pros. A fancy practice facility and nice, decked out small stadium, aren't going to really excite the 4-5 ⭐ kids. On top of that it is quite apparent that there is a lot of substandard coaching going on. McCall was made the scapegoat and sacrificial lamb after 2019, but his replacement is worse. Who would have thought that? Hankwitz retires following the next season, then the bottom falls out of the defense he built and that was the heart of the team. Who does Fitz get? A lousy DC from the NFL. The Big Ten West has been really weak for awhile. The perfect time for a program that was on the rise to take over and dominate. After 2018, I think alot of us were expecting that to happen for NU. It obviously hasn't happened, and we have to wonder why. It just is a sad situation all around.

Reactions: drewjin
I meant rescue in that the sudden death really jolted the team. This was during my second stint at NU when I had a couple friends on the team. I remember the texts that went around that morning and throughout the week.

I think the team still underperformed that season if memory is correct but PF quickly stabilized the program during a crisis. In that sense, I suggest he rescued the program.
Yeah considering his age and inexperience,, he ramped up pretty nicely after an understandably poor first year. Recall they graduated Baz and had CJ in the wings, who promptly got hurt, necessitating the Brewfka experiment. With Walker having treated Defense as a pause between offensive possessions, not having a ready QB was deadly (see 1999 and 2002.)

My issue is that everyone NOT associated with the program believes we sucked for 50 straight years until Fitz arrived. The program was in decent shape.

Yeah considering his age and inexperience,, he ramped up pretty nicely after an understandably poor first year. Recall they graduated Baz and had CJ in the wings, who promptly got hurt, necessitating the Brewfka experiment. With Walker having treated Defense as a pause between offensive possessions, not having a ready QB was deadly (see 1999 and 2002.)

My issue is that everyone NOT associated with the program believes we sucked for 50 straight years until Fitz arrived. The program was in decent shape.
True, Fitz came into a difficult QB transition as head coach, which at NU often means a significant drop in W-L even in decent times. This, on top of the trauma to the kids and coaches of losing Randy Walker just weeks before the season.

I agree with that last sentence. Barnett brought us into relevance and walker built consistency.

You original post to start this thread was perfect. The post 2018 handling of the program by Fitz is nothing short of mind boggling. The new sports complex is nice, but will not have the desired effect of bringing in loads of top recruits. I have stated in a old post that OSU finished the Woody Hayes complex til 1987, when they were already established as a CFB superpower. Michigan's new facilities aren't a decade old if I am not mistaken. Somebody needs to tell Ryan to back off. Just throwing money at something isn't a cure all, no matter the amount. The man doesn't understand what the new culture of modern CFB is. It is all about TV markets and putting butts into the actual seats. Kids come to a program that will fulfill their dream of getting to the NFL, that is if they are a 4-5 ⭐ recruit. 3 ⭐ kids might be the ones that are there for the education or just gambling that maybe they can make a go of it and make the pros. A fancy practice facility and nice, decked out small stadium, aren't going to really excite the 4-5 ⭐ kids. On top of that it is quite apparent that there is a lot of substandard coaching going on. McCall was made the scapegoat and sacrificial lamb after 2019, but his replacement is worse. Who would have thought that? Hankwitz retires following the next season, then the bottom falls out of the defense he built and that was the heart of the team. Who does Fitz get? A lousy DC from the NFL. The Big Ten West has been really weak for awhile. The perfect time for a program that was on the rise to take over and dominate. After 2018, I think alot of us were expecting that to happen for NU. It obviously hasn't happened, and we have to wonder why. It just is a sad situation all around.
No one really cares about NU football 🏈! If it were not for opposing teams buying our tickets or tv 📺 money, we would be fifth in the MAC or third in the Ivy League! And guess what? I would still love ❤️ and watch our beleaguered Wildcats! Why? I’m a Northwestern Letterman and took a pledge that I will honor till the day I die! With or without Fitz! Who I do like a ton! Go Cats! 🐱

Reactions: Jaguar 88
No one really cares about NU football 🏈! If it were not for opposing teams buying our tickets or tv 📺 money, we would be fifth in the MAC or third in the Ivy League! And guess what? I would still love ❤️ and watch our beleaguered Wildcats! Why? I’m a Northwestern Letterman and took a pledge that I will honor till the day I die! With or without Fitz! Who I do like a ton! Go Cats! 🐱
Only way to be Titanium!!!! I will always root for my Eagles(EMU) and Flyers(Univ of Dayton) win, lose, or draw. I will always root for the Cat's as well, just not sure what to think in terms of where the program is going right now. Never have seen this type of thing happen before in my 40+ years of following NCAA football. The Barnett years through 2018 were fun as hell even during the subpar seasons. It will be sad if the party is over for a while.

Also letterman but don’t remember any pledge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT