ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody agrees

Irrelevant.

This isn't relative to another game in another year. He broke the rules, got caught, we lost, he whined about it on national tv, and now you're whining that he didn't gat preferential treatment.

You like the rules when they help you, but don't like them when our coach fumbles the game/season away.

Who was that two years ago mike, posting about how Tom Crean is always 7 feet on the court barking out plays to yogi Farrell?

Now I don't even know what you are babbling on about. The games are relative to each other; that is why this game situation made news since it NEVER happens. Coaches simply do not get T's in those situations, even when they are wrong. To say that our coach should be held to some standard of not coming onto the court that no other coach is held to just continues to confirm your Collins hatred.

I don't seem to remember you posting celebratory stuff after our win again Michigan or Vanderbilt. That bitterness has really eaten you up these last four years, I'll bet.

What a great season! Did you see the NCAA patch on the jersey in my avatar? ;)

Was waiting for you to join in here, thanks. It's hard work owning the trolls all by myself (we had some Illini folks stop in earlier as well, bless their hearts).

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
I don't seem to remember you posting celebratory stuff after our win again Michigan or Vanderbilt. That bitterness has really eaten you up these last four years, I'll bet.

What a great season! Did you see the NCAA patch on the jersey in my avatar? ;)
What?

Now I don't even know what you are babbling on about. The games are relative to each other; that is why this game situation made news since it NEVER happens. Coaches simply do not get T's in those situations, even when they are wrong. To say that our coach should be held to some standard of not coming onto the court that no other coach is held to just continues to confirm your Collins hatred.

Right. Most coaches have the self control to not get ts during the most important 4.5 minutes of their school's history. Cc, isn't most coaches.

It's not a "standard." It's the rule. If you think coaches should be allowed to run on the court in front of a ref to whine, then fine. Unfortunately that's against the rules, and cc couldn't contain himself.

If you think refs are too lax by not enforcing the rule then fine (I agree). But when he blatantly breaks the rule and gets caught, you look like a hypocrite for wanting a special exclusion for him because he happens to coach your team.

And he shouldn't apologize. The refs were god awful all game and very few of the calls went our way. Why are we not taking about the second goaltend they jobbed us on? It was only replayed once, but was a clear goaltend in the first half. That's 6 points when you include the technical not to mention all of the crap calls. Just an awful officiating crew that should never see the court again.

Wilbon gave the refs a C- for the Vandy game and then assigned a D, changing it to a F for the Zag game officiating. Made for a nice follow-up to the Coach's comments on Sports Center.

Link to a specific NCAA tournament game where Mike Davis was T'd up in a similar time and score situation, please. And if there is only one example, you have proven my point.

It's not a long list. That's the point. This wasn't a run of the mill screw up, this one was one for the ages.

Right. Most coaches have the self control to not get ts during the most important 4.5 minutes of their school's history. Cc, isn't most coaches.

It's not a "standard." It's the rule. If you think coaches should be allowed to run on the court in front of a ref to whine, then fine. Unfortunately that's against the rules, and cc couldn't contain himself.

If you think refs are too lax by not enforcing the rule then fine (I agree). But when he blatantly breaks the rule and gets caught, you look like a hypocrite for wanting a special exclusion for him because he happens to coach your team.

Remember this one?

Reactions: mikewebb68

I want the SAME exclusion applied to him as I have seen in a thousand other critical game situations when I have seen the same behavior or worse a T is NOT called. Go watch some West Virginia games with Bob Huggins, one of the most surly men ever to walk a sideline, for just one example of this occurring numerous times.

It's not a long list. That's the point. This wasn't a run of the mill screw up, this one was one for the ages.

It's not a long list because T's are NOT given in those situations, period. I have numerous examples of such coach behavior THIS season during our games alone where coaches did worse than Collins and were not T'd up; already gave you one that occured in just the last few games with the Turgeon example. You have one from a long-fired Indiana coach.

I want the SAME exclusion applied to him as I have seen in a thousand other critical game situations when I have seen the same behavior or worse a T is NOT called. Go watch some West Virginia games with Bob Huggins, one of the most surly men ever to walk a sideline, for just one example of this occurring numerous times.

Why would you want exclusions? Wouldn't you just want a rule either always enforced, or scrapped altogether?

One more! (I'll bet it makes your stomach turn when you see these...lol):

You should say "Memba this?" and post like a zillion of these. I think that will even stop a diehard troll such as Mystic. Even Feli has turned around somewhat, so Mystic is about the only one left to banish with some quality troll repellent.

Because I am realistic?

Ok.

I guess I think we could strive for slightly higher ideals than - well it's screwed up all over, so hopefully it will get screwed up in our favor when the time comes.

So, one question: did cc deserve a T?

Ok.

I guess I think we could strive for slightly higher ideals than - well it's screwed up all over, so hopefully it will get screwed up in our favor when the time comes.

So, one question: did cc deserve a T?

Nope, not in that game situation. Thought I already made that clear in my zillion other posts on the subject

You should say "Memba this?" and post like a zillion of these. I think that will even stop a diehard troll such as Mystic. Even Feli has turned around somewhat, so Mystic is about the only one left to banish with some quality troll repellent.

There is literally not a single thing feli posted in the last 6 weeks that was untrue. His rants about how the bottom of the conference did against the top 25 was odd, arbitrary and pointless, but all his facts were true.

Telling, that you want to run off all dissenters. When Willy is done rewatching crean's thank you speech to the faithful, you all can have a pity party about how cc should be allowed to run onto the court to whine because somebody else did it once and didn't get a T.

Nope, not in that game situation. Thought I already made that clear in my zillion other posts on the subject

So you think coaches should be allowed to run onto the floor, during the game to argue calls.

I guess I just see it differently.

I think the players and refs should be on the floor, and the coaches on the sideline. Ya know, in that thing they call the coaches box.

Maybe I'm too old fashioned.

There is literally not a single thing feli posted in the last 6 weeks that was untrue. His rants about how the bottom of the conference did against the top 25 was odd, arbitrary and pointless, but all his facts were true.

Telling, that you want to run off all dissenters. When Willy is done rewatching crean's thank you speech to the faithful, you all can have a pity party about how cc should be allowed to run onto the court to whine because somebody else did it once and didn't get a T.

You are not a dissenter. A dissenter is someone like Willy. You are a troll, pure and simple. Embrace who you are. At any rate, I am off to bed thinking about the greatness that was this Wildcat season helmed by our National Coach of the Year candidate. Was Carmody even a National Coach of the Year Candidate?

So you think coaches should be allowed to run onto the floor, during the game to argue calls.
I guess I just see it differently.

When said coach only actuall makes it 3 feet onto the floor and the ref can easily avoid a confrontation in a critical time and game situation when a T is NEVER called, yup, we see it differently allright!

You are not a dissenter. A dissenter is someone like Willy. You are a troll, pure and simple. Embrace who you are. At any rate, I am off to bed thinking about the greatness that was this Wildcat season helmed by our National Coach of the Year candidate. Was Carmody even a National Coach of the Year Candidate?

He was big ten COY. Maybe CC will be the best coach in his own conference too some day.

I'm going to bed too, dreaming about that bowl win and our 53 rpi in basketball.

Last edited:
When said coach only actuall makes it 3 feet onto the floor and the ref can easily avoid a confrontation in a critical time and game situation when a T is NEVER called, yup, we see it differently allright!

So why shouldn't they just stay OFF the court, like the rules sepcify?

Didn't McIntosh commit a turnover, miss a jumper and then commit a second turnover in the last 2:00? Didn't Sanjay miss a wide open triple a little bit before that? The TEAM lost the game. The refs just made it even easier for Gonzaga.
Disagree. If the sum total of bad officiating was worth at least net 7 pts against NU then that decided the game (necessarily). The evidence supports that claim.
So, NU 'won' despite a horrendous first half, a T, and numerous normal players' errors or misses, etc. NU could have finished ahead in the final score DESPITE bad officiating if it had done a bit better on the court, though.

You gotta think that a team coming back from 22 down, and running up 53 points in a half against a strong favorite, mostly by being more aggressive and alert --- would get some favorable officiating, wouldn’t you? Not today, obviously.
Especially when that team is in its first ever tournament run. I honestly thought NU's Cinderella's status would yield some sympathy from the refs, leading to NU getting a lot of breaks and close calls. It definitely did NOT work that way. Probably most agree that the one-side officiating cost NU (net) more than the 6 pts separating both teams in the final score. That is, with neutral officiating NU would have won. Shame.

We should have won? Was that a 7 point basket they goaltended?

Nobody is saying it was a good call, but that doesn't excuse the T. That was an immature meltdown in crunch time. If I was a player I'd be pissed at his lack of self control. Weak.

I LOVED Coach Collins for standing up. I LOVED him for what he did this year.

Good Riddance Comedy. Your mediocrity is now well behind us.

So you back the head coach at a critical time running onto the court during play to whine about a call and getting t'd up and essentially ending our come back?

No, I back a head coach that can bring us from utter mediocrity and futility. In just 4 years. (Basically the time period he needed to have a program full of kids who only knew him as a coach and flushed any remnants of his incompetent and failed predecessor).

Meanwhile, you back a head coach that doesn't like to recruit, believes defense is overrated, and thinks rebounding is unnecessary. And one that NEVER got us to the NCAA in 13 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
For the record, it did happen in the 1991 final four, to Dean Smith no less! I'm sure he was very gentlemanly. It's not really a very similar situation at all, as Deano didn't go nuts when it happened. It was just a ref who thought he should stay behind the line.

You are not wrong about this. We got jobbed, and Collins needs to keep his cool. Too critical of a time in the game. I still support Collins. We've only just begun...
Obviously you and Mystic are the ones who are wrong and 99% of people watching that game agree that NU good screwed and Collins should not have gotten a T. Umpires managers out of games for arguing after they make a wrong call and it's the same with referees, I guess. At least is was for these refs.

If he wasn't working the refs so hard the calls could have been worse. I completely back him for the T. That call completely switched momentum. The T was idiotic on the refs part. Collins working the refs pays benefits all the great coaches do it. I completely back everything Collins does as a coach minus some end game management. Sorry you miss carmody he was decent while we had him. Collins is better we all see it. He got us to the promise land a year early. I'm thrilled with NU sports. You should be too. Just enjoy that we are good at the two major revenue sports and are looking to be better in both next year.
Agree with most of what you said but don't think many miss Carmody around here.

That would be pretty funny. I like CBC. I wish he would have beaten Michigan and Purdue during Shurna's last year and we would have gone dancing that year. I think Michigan beat us by a couple and Purdue beat us in OT.

However I live in present day and I have had my complaints about Coach Chris from time to time, but getting that tech was NOT one of my complaints. Chris could NOT allow their refs to keep screwing us over and had to take a stand even if it put us at a further deficit. We were already down by 5.

I guarantee you that the refs will be more cautious about screwing over NU after the media rakes them over the coals over tonight's debacle. If nothing else, the tech is worth it for that!
The ref nearest the basket should be suspended for let's say a year or forever.

Agree with most of what you said but don't think many miss Carmody around here.

I miss Carmody because I think he was a very nice person who had all the right values. I loved listening to his interviews and his very dry sense of humor. I think he was very intelligent and was never a bad representative for the university. However, I think we are a lot better off now than we were before. Collins was a wonderful hire, and the program is in better shape now than maybe ever, certainly than in a very long time. It really is possible to like Coach Collins and still appreciate some of the things Carmody did.

It is possible to simultaneously hold the beliefs:
1). The non-goaltending call was brutal.
2). It came after a number of other calls that went Gonzaga's way (and some brutal officiating that went out way as well). Those three were awful.
3) Coach Collins's emotional response was perfectly understandable.
4). His theatrics deserved a technical.
5). It would have been better had the officials saw clear to "miss" the technical call.
6) Coach Collins will learn from this. A VERY forgivable error, but an error nonetheless.
7). I appreciate all that Coach Carmody did for us...and all the rope the University gave him.
8). I love the hiring of Coach Collins and our trajectory.

I had so much fun in Salt Lake City. What a great time. I am currently sitting 100 yards from the Huntsman Center, site of the ISU-MSU National Championship. Coach Collins had given us reason to believe. Go 'Cats!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT