ADVERTISEMENT

Everybody agrees

So you think coaches should be allowed to run onto the floor, during the game to argue calls.

I guess I just see it differently.

I think the players and refs should be on the floor, and the coaches on the sideline. Ya know, in that thing they call the coaches box.

Maybe I'm too old fashioned.

No, you're just an ass. That's not a personal attack. It's just an observation.

Please, in this most historic of seasons, can you name a single post you've written on this board that was even neutral much less positive about the Cats or Coach Collins? Did you get any joy out of this season whatsoever? And why is it that you only post when NU loses?

Are you really a Wildcats fan? What exactly is your problem that you cannot acknowledge the positives of this historic year?

BTW, Coach Collins is a semi-finalist for Coach of the Year. Pretty sure the Nova coach won't get it. Maybe Few will get it if he wins it all. Not sure Self would beat out Collins given the expectations that Kansas had, even if he wins it all. What will you do if Chris Collins wins National Coach of the Year?

I'm very surprised Collins is getting such a huge defense on this board for the T. Yes the call was 100% wrong but clearly the refs didn't know that. If the refs knew it was the wrong call they would have called the basket interference to begin with.

I've reffed college hoops now for many years if a coach comes on the court like that YOU HAVE to t them up. Theres simply no ifs ans or buts about it. A few of yall are acting like he was just yelling from the sideline which a ref can ignore. He didn't just do that he ran onto the playing court right to the ref. Automatic tech.

That said him getting that T doesn't take away the fact he did the most amazing coaching job in NW history. What a great season he has. He has NW on the right track and I'm sure in the future he'll be able to keep his cool a litlte more.

Grow up.

The guy became unhinged at the biggest moment of his career. Everyone saw it. It has nothing to do with hate, facts are facts.

The refs made several horrible calls, including a couple against Gonzaga. But the imbalance was clear as free throws indicate.

Foul calls against Lindsey, an earlier goal tending that wasn't called against Gonzaga.

The "unhinged" characterization is misplaced. I believe that Collins was trying to get a T much earlier in the game. The T at the 4 minute and change mark gave Gonzaga two points which could have been four. But, arguably, it may have also tempered the officiating.

Your thesis is that Collins may have cost the Cats the game with the T which is a stretch that ignores the entirety of what preceded the play.

It was reported in the Washington Post that Doug Collins called out the refs early in the second half that "this is the last NCAA tournament game you officiate." The officials were that bad, in the eyes of a guy who knows a little about basketball (and has an obvious bias).

What was unhinged was the officiating. I don't think they are terrible officials, I just think that collectively they had a terrible game. They were like Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson singing Ebony and Ivory. Everything about it was wrong.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
One thing that doesn't get much mention is that Chris Collins almost never goes to war with the refs during a game, I think everyone in the Big 10 would call him a class act all around. I can't recall him ever getting a T at Northwestern, I don't think he has even come close. The fact that these refs were so awful that they caused Collins to get this agitated from early on is meaningful in and of itself. I don't mind him getting the T at all, it was the final reaction to yet another egregious error by the refs whose job it is to catch those infractions, but who were making mistakes all game long.

One thing that doesn't get much mention is that Chris Collins almost never goes to war with the refs during a game, I think everyone in the Big 10 would call him a class act all around. I can't recall him ever getting a T at Northwestern, I don't think he has even come close. The fact that these refs were so awful that they caused Collins to get this agitated from early on is meaningful in and of itself. I don't mind him getting the T at all, it was the final reaction to yet another egregious error by the refs whose job it is to catch those infractions, but who were making mistakes all game long.
Clearly, that cannot be the case. He is from Duke. And Mystic has filled us in on what that means.

Brent Hampton was the one who missed the call under the basket and also tee'd up Collins @bhampton04

Just so everyone is clear on this, since I have seen this error posted numerous times on this board, basket interference is NOT the priority of the baseline official. He is looking for rebounding fouls on a shot attempt, and is actually not looking at the rim at all if he is doing his job. The official who has primary responsibility for BI is at the foul line, with the trail official having secondary responsibility in the event there is an obvious missed call. You can criticize the baseline official all you want for not sprinting up the court (where the action was, and he could have easily missed a call by not doing so) and hanging back to T Collins, but he can't be criticized for not looking at the rim when that is not the baseline official's responsibility.

Reactions: Palindrome
The refs made several horrible calls, including a couple against Gonzaga. But the imbalance was clear as free throws indicate.

Foul calls against Lindsey, an earlier goal tending that wasn't called against Gonzaga.

The "unhinged" characterization is misplaced. I believe that Collins was trying to get a T much earlier in the game. The T at the 4 minute and change mark gave Gonzaga two points which could have been four. But, arguably, it may have also tempered the officiating.

Your thesis is that Collins may have cost the Cats the game with the T which is a stretch that ignores the entirety of what preceded the play.

It was reported in the Washington Post that Doug Collins called out the refs early in the second half that "this is the last NCAA tournament game you officiate." The officials were that bad, in the eyes of a guy who knows a little about basketball (and has an obvious bias).

What was unhinged was the officiating. I don't think they are terrible officials, I just think that collectively they had a terrible game. They were like Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson singing Ebony and Ivory. Everything about it was wrong.

Excellent point about trying Collins trying to get a T earlier in the game. Another Officiating 101 rule is "if you don't T him early, don't T him late" meaning that if you have established a pattern that you are going to let the coaches behave in a certain way early, don't be surprised if they take full advantage of that, and DON'T given them a T for something at a critical juncture late if you didn't sniff that behavior out earlier in the game. Just poor, poor officiating. .

Reactions: Palindrome
The failure of one ref not to streak up the court afterward and avoid an obvious confrontation in a critical gamesituation and thus compound the error....
---_
Only problem is, the ref is supposed to be on the court. The coach is forbidden from being on the court.

But I guess if we reversed all the rules you could find a way to have some semblance of a point in some alternate universe.

"Yeah the coach was at center court screaming, but the problem was the ref, who could have run a few feet to get around him, didn't. He just gave him a T. for being on the court."

You know, like all the rules say you should do.

If you want to talk about rules, how many times is Marquette's Wojo or the dearly departed Tom Crean on the court? All the freaking time and they are not always T'd for it.

The only reason that Collins was T'd was because the refs didn't realize the blown call during the game. If they had blown it and realized that they blew it, they would have let that slide.

Excellent point about trying Collins trying to get a T earlier in the game. Another Officiating 101 rule is "if you don't T him early, don't T him late" meaning that if you have established a pattern that you are going to let the coaches behave in a certain way early, don't be surprised if they take full advantage of that, and DON'T given them a T for something at a critical juncture late if you didn't sniff that behavior out earlier in the game. Just poor, poor officiating. .

God, are we best friends or what? We are agreeing all the time now and taking on Mystic together? This is bizarre. I still don't nominate CCC for sainthood but he loves our guys and his family shed tears for our team. I respect his passion and how hard he gets our boys to play.

I don't really understand why Mystic can't respect CCC for his good qualities and leave CBC in the past. Mike, we can disagree about CBC's tenure and whether or not his firing was fair, but we agree that our players are the good guys and our coach deserves WAY better than MysticCat taking a dump outside of his litter box here.

Reactions: mikewebb68

I thought the same thing. When Collins was going to his right (as the TV showed it) earlier in the game, I thought he was trying to get a T.

God, are we best friends or what? We are agreeing all the time now and taking on Mystic together? This is bizarre. I still don't nominate CCC for sainthood but he loves our guys and his family shed tears for our team. I respect his passion and how hard he gets our boys to play.

I don't really understand why Mystic can't respect CCC for his good qualities and leave CBC in the past. Mike, we can disagree about CBC's tenure and whether or not his firing was fair, but we agree that our players are the good guys and our coach deserves WAY better than MysticCat taking a dump outside of his litter box here.

I agreed with Feli, whomever Mr. Wickerpark is, and you in one day. Guess I am just happy about the success of our team, and glad that you are as well.

I'm very surprised Collins is getting such a huge defense on this board for the T. Yes the call was 100% wrong but clearly the refs didn't know that. If the refs knew it was the wrong call they would have called the basket interference to begin with.

I've reffed college hoops now for many years if a coach comes on the court like that YOU HAVE to t them up. Theres simply no ifs ans or buts about it. A few of yall are acting like he was just yelling from the sideline which a ref can ignore. He didn't just do that he ran onto the playing court right to the ref. Automatic tech.

That said him getting that T doesn't take away the fact he did the most amazing coaching job in NW history. What a great season he has. He has NW on the right track and I'm sure in the future he'll be able to keep his cool a litlte more.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT