ADVERTISEMENT

Falzon to miss time with ankle injury

The Maltese Falzon is jinxed. At least it's not his knee.

Without him the only real "natural" stretch four is Nance, correct? I wouldn't be surprised to see a "main" lineup of Pardon, Nance, Turner, Kopp, Taylor, and Gaines as the season progresses.

Without him the only real "natural" stretch four is Nance, correct? I wouldn't be surprised to see a "main" lineup of Pardon, Nance, Turner, Kopp, Taylor, and Gaines as the season progresses.

Some might object to running six guys in a five man game.

Reactions: NUCat320

Forget someone? Name begins with a L and ends with W.

Forget someone? Name begins with a L and ends with W.

Doh! knew someone was missing. I guess Gaines sees less time if Nance and Kopp step up to play key roles, but I still think he'll be a significant contributor. Also expect good things from Ash and Benson.

Injuries kept this guy from developing his game. A lot of potential that probably won’t be realized. When and if he comes back we will be unhappy with his defense and inability to create his own shot. And that will be fair. But at least it’s not his fault; just plain bad fortune.

Doh! knew someone was missing. I guess Gaines sees less time if Nance and Kopp step up to play key roles, but I still think he'll be a significant contributor. Also expect good things from Ash and Benson.
Think both Gaines and Benson will see signifigent minutes off the bench but think Ash will slide farther down to the end. Also don't think we should write Greer off.

Injuries kept this guy from developing his game. A lot of potential that probably won’t be realized. When and if he comes back we will be unhappy with his defense and inability to create his own shot. And that will be fair. But at least it’s not his fault; just plain bad fortune.

I was watching an interview (I believe it was Cris Carter) and he said that athletes have a baseline physically where they want and need to be at the start of a season, and injuries and rehabbing of injuries significantly hampers their ability to be at that baseline, and it also stunts their ability to develop their game, because the time that they would have committed to that is spent on rehab. Aaron seems like a great kid and teammate, and I wish he would have had better luck with his health, because when he was a freshman, we saw some flashes of what kind of a shooter he is when he's right physically.

Think both Gaines and Benson will see signifigent minutes off the bench but think Ash will slide farther down to the end. Also don't think we should write Greer off.
I really like Benson a lot. Just I don't know how many min he'll get given how good Pardon is. Although anyone who hasn't been paying attention to him is gonna wonder where he came from next year. He's gonna be solid!

Still think we are going to see plenty of minutes with Benson and Pardon in the line-up......If Bensons low post game has developed he will require a lot of attention and give Pardon, who has more mobile moves, room to romp. And all of that attention down low will give our post ups....more open looks....down side is it clogs up the middle for slashers and drivers....but we dont have a lot of them anyway.

Reactions: DaCat
Still think we are going to see plenty of minutes with Benson and Pardon in the line-up......If Bensons low post game has developed he will require a lot of attention and give Pardon, who has more mobile moves, room to romp. And all of that attention down low will give our post ups....more open looks....down side is it clogs up the middle for slashers and drivers....but we dont have a lot of them anyway.
Collins said yesterday during his presser that he's going to play more guys more minutes this season, so that average minutes for some guys will come down. Says the motion offense they are going to run will tire guys more quickly. This is good to hear, will keep guys fresher and build depth.

Law to the bench... odd choice

Collins said yesterday during his presser that he's going to play more guys more minutes this season, so that average minutes for some guys will come down. Says the motion offense they are going to run will tire guys more quickly. This is good to hear, will keep guys fresher and build depth.
That sounds good in concept, though I’ll believe it when I see it. I feel like it’s every offseason / preseason that coaches and posters alike are clamoring about how much quality depth we have and how we will be 10 deep. (Sometimes it even starts for posters late in the prior season looking forward to the next year)

Inevitably only a portion of the incoming freshmen is ready to play, maybe 1 guy you marked as a contributor regresses or fails to develop, and then 1 guy gets hurt and you are back to a core rotation of ~7 guys with 8-9 seeing the floor outside of mop up time.

Would be nice if we do have that quality depth this year, it seems right now at 2-3-4-5 we potentially do, but I can’t help but think by the time we get to conference season that will have been eroded or else Collins will have found his core guys and shortened the bench.

(To be clear, this has been consistent across both BC and CC at NU, and many other places too, it’s just tough with limited scholarships and college players)

I'm really sorry for Falzon. Hope for him this season is slipping away again in an injury-plagued career at NU. As a frosh, he looked like a future star.

And the team will be carrying yet another ghost - a player who seems to be on the bench, but is really not available...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT