ADVERTISEMENT

First-half thread for NU vs. ISU

I can’t tell if our WRs just can’t get open or does Hunter just not recognize things?

Reactions: drewjin
ISU will continue to throw uncovered if we dont cover down or at least attempt to apex the slot.
I know NU likes cover 4/ conservative coverage, but O’Neil has shown little diversity within that scheme to date. My guess it they are doing that on purpose (put nothing on tape for Duke), but it’s fair question what else the defensive has in its arsenal.

That pass down the left sideline was grounding last week.

Enjoy it boys and girls. I think this may be our only win of the year. We may be looking at the worst Cats team since ‘95.

We're gonna find out what we really have next week at Duke. Duke is probably one of the worst Power 5 teams right now, around Illinois in strength.

Hopefully some of this is just our typical play up/down to level of opponent that we've always seen.

Not sure if injury or what, but Walker has 30 yds for MSU v Youngstown State in first half...
Don’t need him. They’re using multiple backs and scoring on big plays thru the air.

So can anyone tell me if the Taco Bell thing was a sandwich or a taco?

I’m watching the game on mute while doing some work. Have to check out for the second half for family stuff. You’re on your own.

• Haha
Reactions: IAWildcat79
Fair. It would be interesting to see the All-22 view to see what concepts are being run to make the determination.
This.

When posters have critiqued Hunter in the past they’ve done from the vantage of a broadcast view. Not a sufficient source.

You really need the all 22 when you have multiple issues, not a lot of games to look at, and in today’s case, a vanilla game plan.

My take would be the entire offense is a little indecisive. Hunter vs the blitz looks, receivers getting out of their breaks, and the OL vs the rush. The Sycamores are coming from different levels of the defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
This.

When posters have critiqued Hunter in the past they’ve done from the vantage of a broadcast view.

You really need the all 22 when you have multiple issues and not of games to look at.
I completely agree, which is why I wonder what is really going on. All I know is that our offense looked terrible with him in 2019. Then Peyton came in and made plays in the passing game. Now Hunter is back and the passing game looks frozen again.

I completely agree, which is why I wonder what is really going on. All I know is that our offense looked terrible with him in 2019. Then Peyton came in and made plays in the passing game. Now Hunter is back and the passing game looks frozen again.
2019 and 2020 are completely different schemes.

And last week we moved the ball through the air vs a BIG opponent.

The entire offense just looks a little tentative vs the blitz. Interested to see what Jake does to counter.

2019 and 2020 are completely different schemes.

And last week we moved the ball through the air vs a BIG opponent.

The entire offense just looks a little tentative vs the blitz. Interested to see what Jake does to counter.
Listen, I want you to be right. I’m just not sold on Hunter as a BIG10 QB yet.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
It isn’t that he can’t make the reads, it’s that he has probably been told to not force balls and that’s probably a good thing given what I see of his throwing motion.The kid looks so much better than 2019 but mechanically he still has a lot of issues. He doesn’t step into throws and actually fades away and to his left on most throws. I think GCG highlighted that problem last week on one of the TD passes to Pugh. He can get away with it against Indiana state but this habit will be problematic in conference games and is partly the reason why having him throw into tight windows is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheC
Hunter played better against MSU than Peyton did.

How bout those punt returns??. Fitz probably pooped his pants. Reminds me of how they seemed to have no idea how to use VMark until his third year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT