ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz Gave Us the Gift of David Braun

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
I’ve seen all the sniping on here about Fitz. Full disclosure: I’m a Fitz fan who thinks he has done so much for this program and this school. I think he was railroaded unfairly by the awful, gutless administration, and he is going to make them pay. Literally. If Fitz deserved firing, it was for the JON hire and the results of the previous two seasons, which were atrocious.

I have been extremely impressed with Braun, starting with that impossible press conference at B1G media day, which he nailed — despite aforementioned “leaders” hanging him out to dry. For this team to have pulled off a winning season (overall and in conference!) is just extraordinary. The loyalty and respect this man has engendered from his guys is palpable. Adversity into success. Who knows how he’ll recruit / perform as a HC, but year one — under the worst circumstances — was incredible. He should be B1G COY. And despite the mess at IL (in a win thank God), the D was dramatically improved, which was Braun’s top task in the first place.

He was hired to perform that task by Pat Fitzgerald. A very strong hire. And, in ways that I’m sure have been unexpected and painful for him, Fitz has given us the gift of our next head coach. Thank you, Fitz.

Let’s go win a bowl game.

I’ve seen all the sniping on here about Fitz. Full disclosure: I’m a Fitz fan who thinks he has done so much for this program and this school. I think he was railroaded unfairly by the awful, gutless administration, and he is going to make them pay. Literally. If Fitz deserved firing, it was for the JON hire and the results of the previous two seasons, which were atrocious.

I have been extremely impressed with Braun, starting with that impossible press conference at B1G media day, which he nailed — despite aforementioned “leaders” hanging him out to dry. For this team to have pulled off a winning season (overall and in conference!) is just extraordinary. The loyalty and respect this man has engendered from his guys is palpable. Adversity into success. Who knows how he’ll recruit / perform as a HC, but year one — under the worst circumstances — was incredible. He should be B1G COY. And despite the mess at IL (in a win thank God), the D was dramatically improved, which was Braun’s top task in the first place.

He was hired to perform that task by Pat Fitzgerald. A very strong hire. And, in ways that I’m sure have been unexpected and painful for him, Fitz has given us the gift of our next head coach. Thank you, Fitz.

100%. Let’s not forget that all the other coaches Fitz hired as well as the transfers he brought in all came up aces. Fitz had a heck of an offseason. Redemption for the disastrous decision to hire and stick with O’Neal for two years.

Terrific post. Thanks for so eloquently stating what so many of us also feel.

I'll say this, I don't think we'll really appreciate what we had with Fitz until we lose a hot coach to another program.

Hoping its not Braun, but that's the reality of any situation these days (see Duke losing Elko after 2 seasons to A&M). If Braun has a great stretch of years, we'll immediately hear about the biggest programs coming after him.

With Fitz, we knew 100% he was always going to be our coach even when there were bigger programs around dangling offers. I felt reasonably confident he'd stick around here for another 15-20 years.

That loyalty meant a ton to the University community and the program. It meant that the program had had a great near 30 year stretch of high performance with lots of bowl appearances and consistently fielding solid, respectable teams. That's the biggest difference between us and say Indiana. We've had a long and respectable stretch of recent history that programs like that don't have. It's important to have that for recruiting/donor support/etc.

The JON hiring was a mistake, but also not one that was anywhere near fire-able unless he had kept him on like the Brian Ferentz situation. I give Fitz credit for moving in the opposite direction in his hiring decisions over the past year: he went for the highest performers that he could find regardless of level, guys that were up and comers at high performing programs like NDSU/SDSU (the opposite of hiring a guy like JON because he had "NFL DC" on his record - regardless of the results; and we all know that they had been friends).

And clearly it worked; we're really fortunate to have had the Braun hiring work out in the way that it ended up. Hoping he has a great deal of success here in the future.

Great post NJ, couldn't have said it better. We all make mistakes in our jobs. Fitz made mistakes too, most notably JON. He course corrected and hired David Braun. I can't imagine what NU football would be without the many contributions of Fitz--both player and coach. Cheering loudly for David Braun but will be forever grateful for Fitz.

100%. Let’s not forget that all the other coaches Fitz hired as well as the transfers he brought in all came up aces. Fitz had a heck of an offseason. Redemption for the disastrous decision to hire and stick with O’Neal for two years.
Anderson

I'll say this, I don't think we'll really appreciate what we had with Fitz until we lose a hot coach to another program.

Hoping its not Braun, but that's the reality of any situation these days (see Duke losing Elko after 2 seasons to A&M). If Braun has a great stretch of years, we'll immediately hear about the biggest programs coming after him.

With Fitz, we knew 100% he was always going to be our coach even when there were bigger programs around dangling offers. I felt reasonably confident he'd stick around here for another 15-20 years.

That loyalty meant a ton to the University community and the program. It meant that the program had had a great near 30 year stretch of high performance with lots of bowl appearances and consistently fielding solid, respectable teams. That's the biggest difference between us and say Indiana. We've had a long and respectable stretch of recent history that programs like that don't have. It's important to have that for recruiting/donor support/etc.

The JON hiring was a mistake, but also not one that was anywhere near fire-able unless he had kept him on like the Brian Ferentz situation. I give Fitz credit for moving in the opposite direction in his hiring decisions over the past year: he went for the highest performers that he could find regardless of level, guys that were up and comers at high performing programs like NDSU/SDSU (the opposite of hiring a guy like JON because he had "NFL DC" on his record - regardless of the results; and we all know that they had been friends).

And clearly it worked; we're really fortunate to have had the Braun hiring work out in the way that it ended up. Hoping he has a great deal of success here in the future.
I can live with having a hot Coach long enough to be wanted. The by-products will be fantastic. And then we can do another round of ‘NU - the most undesirable job in the world’

Great post NJ, couldn't have said it better. We all make mistakes in our jobs. Fitz made mistakes too, most notably JON. He course corrected and hired David Braun. I can't imagine what NU football would be without the many contributions of Fitz--both player and coach. Cheering loudly for David Braun but will be forever grateful for Fitz.
Springer Cushing Anderson JON Baja

Fitz said that this year was going to be better and he was right. Fitz was not perfect he did have some coaching flaws, but we will never have better ambassador for Northwestern or leader of men than Pat Fitzgerald. I have only been a fan since 1995, but I hated watching ESPN back in the day speculating on where Barnett was going to go. We will never have another coach that will pick NU over any other school. Every person that I have talked to that has ever interacted with with Fitz or been one of his players has only said amazing things about him. I have hated how Pat's reputation has been dragged through the mud. I cannot wait until the day both Gragg and Schill are fired.

Fitz said that this year was going to be better and he was right. Fitz was not perfect he did have some coaching flaws, but we will never have better ambassador for Northwestern or leader of men than Pat Fitzgerald. I have only been a fan since 1995, but I hated watching ESPN back in the day speculating on where Barnett was going to go. We will never have another coach that will pick NU over any other school. Every person that I have talked to that has ever interacted with with Fitz or been one of his players has only said amazing things about him. I have hated how Pat's reputation has been dragged through the mud. I cannot wait until the day both Gragg and Schill are fired.
You had a chance to talk to anyone who went through the car wash?

It’s unfortunate that Pat didn’t take responsibility for the repulsive activities that took place under his watch. There is good reason that his name was “dragged through the mud.”

A reminder that nobody other than Stefan Demos has denied that hazing happened, and he left the program a decade ago.

A shame that NU — Fitz and Gragg and Schill — made the awful decision to bury the story rather than to be transparent with what happened.

Pat Fitzgerald and NU had an excellent offseason last year, as it turns out. Bryant was an excellent find. Cam Johnson balled out. Henning has a unique skillset. Hagerty and Pate outperformed expectations.

But of course, this was only the second time that a transfer quarterback worked out, and the reason those DL had the time is because the cupboard was totally bare.

So, thanks to Pat for Braun, and Binns and Smith and Tucker, and for Henning. Too bad we remained stuck with Bajakian and Anderson. This seven-win team could have been a nine-win team.

But, again, really exciting that this shocking bowl team appears to be in good hands for the foreseeable future. The program is in a far better place than reasonable people would have expected, given the previous seasons’ results and given the turmoil we saw in July.

If NU doesn't do a Parseghian on Braun, he'll likely be here for a while. NU (Fitz) gave him this incredible opportunity.

If NU doesn't do a Parseghian on Braun, he'll likely be here for a while. NU (Fitz) gave him this incredible opportunity.
I agree as long as he gets the support and feels like he can accomplish his career goals (which he may not really know himself yet).

The most relevant thing about Braun is that he's a "local" Midwest guy with no ties to major programs: from Waukesha County and played at Winona State and from there he's risen up the ranks up to FCS NDSU.

He's said before this year that becoming a Big Ten HC was his eventual career goal, but given his history, there's no obvious ties to some other big program that he'd eventually want to get to...

So we probably have the ability to keep him here as long as he can accomplish what he wants to (and given we just went 7-5 in his first year after all that happened, he should feel good about being able to win here with the right pieces in place).

So it's worth being optimistic, and if he does leave for a bigger job, it just means that he probably had a heck of a run here, which is obviously something we'd want for him and us regardless.

It’s unfortunate that Pat didn’t take responsibility for the repulsive activities that took place under his watch. There is good reason that his name was “dragged through the mud.”

A reminder that nobody other than Stefan Demos has denied that hazing happened, and he left the program a decade ago.

A shame that NU — Fitz and Gragg and Schill — made the awful decision to bury the story rather than to be transparent with what happened.

Pat Fitzgerald and NU had an excellent offseason last year, as it turns out. Bryant was an excellent find. Cam Johnson balled out. Henning has a unique skillset. Hagerty and Pate outperformed expectations.

But of course, this was only the second time that a transfer quarterback worked out, and the reason those DL had the time is because the cupboard was totally bare.

So, thanks to Pat for Braun, and Binns and Smith and Tucker, and for Henning. Too bad we remained stuck with Bajakian and Anderson. This seven-win team could have been a nine-win team.

But, again, really exciting that this shocking bowl team appears to be in good hands for the foreseeable future. The program is in a far better place than reasonable people would have expected, given the previous seasons’ results and given the turmoil we saw in July.

“Repulsive actions”. Give me a break.

I agree as long as he gets the support and feels like he can accomplish his career goals (which he may not really know himself yet).

The most relevant thing about Braun is that he's a "local" Midwest guy with no ties to major programs: from Waukesha County and played at Winona State and from there he's risen up the ranks up to FCS NDSU.

He's said before this year that becoming a Big Ten HC was his eventual career goal, but given his history, there's no obvious ties to some other big program that he'd eventually want to get to...

So we probably have the ability to keep him here as long as he can accomplish what he wants to (and given we just went 7-5 in his first year after all that happened, he should feel good about being able to win here with the right pieces in place).

So it's worth being optimistic, and if he does leave for a bigger job, it just means that he probably had a heck of a run here, which is obviously something we'd want for him and us regardless.
If Coach Braun does well the next few years and Wisco tanks, I would think the Budgers would come calling.

If Coach Braun does well the next few years and Wisco tanks, I would think the Budgers would come calling.
Wisconsin is a weird situation to me. The expectations are high there because of the past 25 years of success but it sort of feels like Nebraska 10-15 years ago.

They're not a part of the top rung of the new Big Ten.

They're below that Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan/USC tier (and I'd add Oregon with its NIL money/Nike brand to that group).

They're more like Washington where everything can come together to have 10+ win seasons but it's nowhere near guaranteed and you can't miss as much on transfers/recruits.

Not sure that's the right program to leave for... if Ohio State or Michigan calls, sure. Maybe Penn State or Notre Dame would be interesting to him as well.

But Wisconsin just feels like a hike in expectations without a big boost in national recruiting resources... that's a tough job to succeed in given the historical success and expectations which may not be aligned with reality (see Michigan State's current situation).

Also financially, Wisconsin has always been similar to NU in terms of coaching pay/assistants pay. That's been a complaint of recent coaches there, they don't try to compete at the highest pay levels which would probably be required since we can pay up to keep coaches.

Last edited:
“Repulsive actions”. Give me a break.
Hey CSC, I feel sorry for the folks that have every post they make blown up by three pot stirrers that know nothing other than to derail EVERY thread with their shit. It’s exhibit A for your push to sign up for the Rock and let these three circle jerk each other to a picture if Fitz in a dress.

Hey CSC, I feel sorry for the folks that have every post they make blown up by three pot stirrers that know nothing other than to derail EVERY thread with their shit. It’s exhibit A for your push to sign up for the Rock and let these three circle jerk each other to a picture if Fitz in a dress.
Alternatively, he could just offer his version of the truth.

Perhaps there was no sexualized hazing after all! Perhaps the dozen who confirmed to the investigators, the investigators, the staffers who confirmed to Lou, the former players who confirmed to The Athletic, and the managers who confirmed here all lied.

Perhaps the ENTIRE NORTHWESTERN FOOTBALL TEAM, none of whom signed their statement, just *forgot* to write that “there wasn’t any hazing.”

In many ways, my comment just echoed what the OP said, and what the comment I responded to said:
- Great offseason, Pat.
- Braun is quite a home run, it appears
- You’d done some things wrong football-wise for the few preceding years.
- The administration screwed up

I just added a little color — based on published reports from reputable sources, including our own at WR — to the idea that Fitz was dragged through the mud or hung out to dry.

Coral likes to slap back and run tho; it’s cute.

• Love
Reactions: IGNORE2

Perhaps there was no sexualized hazing after all! Perhaps the dozen who confirmed to the investigators, the investigators, the staffers who confirmed to Lou, the former players who confirmed to The Athletic, and the managers who confirmed here all lied.

Perhaps the ENTIRE NORTHWESTERN FOOTBALL TEAM, none of whom signed their statement, just *forgot* to write that “there wasn’t any hazing.”

In many ways, my comment just echoed what the OP said, and what the comment I responded to said:
- Great offseason, Pat.

I just added a little color — based on published reports from reputable sources, including our own at WR — to the idea that Fitz was dragged through the mud or hung out to dry.

Do you recall the part where Fitz got fired?

You cling to the hazing story like a drunk clings to a bottle.

Do you recall the part where Fitz got fired?

You cling to the hazing story like a drunk clings to a bottle.
This thread is literally about Fitz’s firing, and the positive decisions he made in advance. I agree wholeheartedly! I’m happy he hired someone for the DC role with so many attributes that remind us of Pat Fitzgerald, circa 2006 or so.

His reputation was harmed because of his failings. He was not a victim. And he could have acted like a leader when the story came out, but refused to take accountability. “This is *not* on me,” Pat said.

Coral’s willingness to get angry when I add detail, but never share his real version of the truth, is charming.

Last edited:

- Great offseason, Pat.

Here’s the thing, you completely miss the point on. We know your thoughts and your opinions on this as you have literally posted hundreds of times on it. I have posted hundreds of times on this topic, Coral has posted hundreds of times on this topic, dozens of other posters had posted hundreds of times. Every regular on this board knows where everyone stands on this.

The post you were responding to was crediting Fitz for certain things and you immediately flipped it on its side. This after the King of Haters started his usual barrage of counterpoints to anything positive about FItz or CCC. The Illinois troll still Butt hurt throws more bait to attract the Hazing was all on Fitz crowd and we now have another back and forth tennis match where everyone knows the outcome. This hazing scandal will be like crack to some of you. Everytime the word Fitz comes up you guys need a taste. Move on!

Does anyone else find it weird that we’re already talking about how we never want Braun to leave and that he might get poached?

If he gets poached it will mean that we will have been tremendously successful and it will be yet another example of how a coach can win at NU. If we suck for a few years, we’ll want to look for a different coach. This season has been awesome but let’s take a deep breath before we go down this path.

Here’s the thing, you completely miss the point on. We know your thoughts and your opinions on this as you have literally posted hundreds of times on it. I have posted hundreds of times on this topic, Coral has posted hundreds of times on this topic, dozens of other posters had posted hundreds of times. Every regular on this board knows where everyone stands on this.

The post you were responding to was crediting Fitz for certain things and you immediately flipped it on its side. This after the King of Haters started his usual barrage of counterpoints to anything positive about FItz or CCC. The Illinois troll still Butt hurt throws more bait to attract the Hazing was all on Fitz crowd and we now have another back and forth tennis match where everyone knows the outcome. This hazing scandal will be like crack to some of you. Everytime the word Fitz comes up you guys need a taste. Move on!
Yes, let's move on please

I’ve never once read an opinion from @CoralSpringsCat. I’ve never once read his version of “the whole story”. He just gets angry when the public story is brought up. Like I said, it’s charming, or cute, or maybe just a little weird. Cuz facts are things.

Great offseason, Fitz. I’m so happy you’ve given us the gift of David Braun.

I’ve never once read an opinion from @CoralSpringsCat. I’ve never once read his version of “the whole story”. He just gets angry when the public story is brought up. Like I said, it’s charming, or cute, or maybe just a little weird. Cuz facts are things.
Then take it up with Coral via pm. Or send him a pipe bomb inside a birthday cake.

Your unquenchable thirst for getting psychological comfort from a sports board is not healthy.

Last edited:
This thread is literally about Fitz’s firing, and the positive decisions he made in advance. I agree wholeheartedly! I’m happy he hired someone for the DC role with so many attributes that remind us of Pat Fitzgerald, circa 2006 or so.

His reputation was harmed because of his failings. He was not a victim. And he could have acted like a leader when the story came out, but refused to take accountability. “This is *not* on me,” Pat said.

Coral’s willingness to get angry when I add detail, but never share his real version of the truth, is charming.
Not as charming as you searching through every thread on a daily basis to look for any positive comments on Fitz so you can continue your never ending attack on him.

@wildcatpn , @Hungry Jack , @Purple Pile Driver , I am honored that you find my commentary so incisive as to not permanently ignore me. (@corbi296 took that approach.)

I’d love to hear from @CoralSpringsCat, but I will not. He’s just mad at the word ‘repulsive’, but offers no alternative. A quick search shows he’s posted in the last two hours, just not in a follow-up he initiated.

Did you notice he resurrected my “atrocious” thread on Sunday, too? It’s a weird compulsion of his.

Anyway, I agree with OP. Braun was an excellent hire, an excellent parting gift from Pat Fitzgerald as we await his well-deserved statue unveiling in about a decade. His legacy seems likely to outlast Gragg’s anyway. 😀

Does anyone else find it weird that we’re already talking about how we never want Braun to leave and that he might get poached?

If he gets poached it will mean that we will have been tremendously successful and it will be yet another example of how a coach can win at NU. If we suck for a few years, we’ll want to look for a different coach. This season has been awesome but let’s take a deep breath before we go down this path.
To be fair, that's the only thing to really do at this time of season: speculate on coaching hirings/firings or staff changes and bowl games.

At least this year, we get to discuss a bowl game around here but won't really be able to do anything about that until next week. It's just offseason chatter like any other.

I agree with you on Braun btw, the next 2 seasons will be extremely difficult, so we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

CCC spoke endlessly about how tough the season away from WRA was for the program; all the momentum from our 2017 NCAA bid was basically just snuffed out and it was a difficult adjustment. Took 4 years to rebuild back up to the point of last year.

Braun has to do it for 2 years, not just 1. It's going to be extremely difficult to just tread water the next 2 years, let alone have success, and all we can hope is there's no hangover as we enter the new RF.

To be fair, that's the only thing to really do at this time of season: speculate on coaching hirings/firings or staff changes and bowl games.

At least this year, we get to discuss a bowl game around here, but won't really be able to do anything about that until next week. It's just offseason chatter like any other.

I agree with you on Braun btw, the next 2 seasons will be extremely difficult.

CCC spoke endlessly about how tough the season away from WRA was for the program; all the momentum from our 2017 NCAA bid was basically just snuffed out and it was a difficult adjustment.

Braun has to do it for 2 years, not just 1. It's going to be extremely difficult to just tread water the next 2 years, let alone have success.
The nice thing about football relative to basketball is that the routine is very similar, whether at home or on the road. So perhaps that dulls some of the impact of two seasons as nomads.

I assume that the team still stays somewhere together (it was the Allen Center, which appears to still exist) the night before home games.

I’d imagine that 45-minute (?) bus ride to Rosemont was a real bummer.

The lack of expected crowd support will be rough, but not unfamiliar.

Reactions: zeek55
I would simply say, the back and forth here is because NU failed to do due diligence behind the scenes. What we have is what people want us to have, inflammatory accusations without any context or breadth of understanding.

What happened, how much happened, who knew is simply conjecture based on <he said - he said>

Northwestern leadership failed. They fired Fitz without due process, and now they are subject to a very expensive and potentially devastating lawsuit (on the other hand I doubt the player's lawsuits are going anywhere unless NU gets tired of reading about them and chooses to settle before they go to court - where again it will be he said - he said.

Due process is what is required in the United States of America.

Fitz gave his life to NU, but honestly, I think the program is in better hands right now than it has been in for a while. I am very optimistic about our future, and believe that Braun may be a long-termer! Go Cats! Let's move on!

I would simply say, the back and forth here is because NU failed to do due diligence behind the scenes. What we have is what people want us to have, inflammatory accusations without any context or breadth of understanding.

What happened, how much happened, who knew is simply conjecture based on <he said - he said>

Northwestern leadership failed. They fired Fitz without due process, and now they are subject to a very expensive and potentially devastating lawsuit (on the other hand I doubt the player's lawsuits are going anywhere unless NU gets tired of reading about them and chooses to settle before they go to court - where again it will be he said - he said.

Due process is what is required in the United States of America.

Fitz gave his life to NU, but honestly, I think the program is in better hands right now than it has been in for a while. I am very optimistic about our future, and believe that Braun may be a long-termer! Go Cats! Let's move on!
There is that, but there is also a certain poster who cannot seem to accept that opinions might differ.

Reactions: WaveJumper

At least this year, we get to discuss a bowl game around here but won't really be able to do anything about that until next week. It's just offseason chatter like any other.

I agree with you on Braun btw, the next 2 seasons will be extremely difficult, so we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

CCC spoke endlessly about how tough the season away from WRA was for the program; all the momentum from our 2017 NCAA bid was basically just snuffed out and it was a difficult adjustment. Took 4 years to rebuild back up to the point of last year.

Braun has to do it for 2 years, not just 1. It's going to be extremely difficult to just tread water the next 2 years, let alone have success, and all we can hope is there's no hangover as we enter the new RF.
Based on what we have seen this year, the team will be prepared, and they will play hard.

You had a chance to talk to anyone who went through the car wash?
One under the radar positive about beating Illinois is the “just like football” chant is in play. Enjoy being bowl-less and the losing season guy.

It’s so bizarre to me how anyone can blame Fitz himself for the overblown hazing scandal and literally no one else (players, assistants, etc.), with all the protocols he had in place to prevent “real” hazing. It’s probably just venting, like kids do sometimes when they have big feelings.

I’m comforted though, in that this viewpoint seems like message board and sports media hot takes vs. the perspectives of actual people I’ve had conversations with in real life.

One under the radar positive about beating Illinois is the “just like football” chant is in play. Enjoy being bowl-less and the losing season guy.

It’s so bizarre to me how anyone can blame Fitz himself for the overblown hazing scandal and literally no one else (players, assistants, etc.), with all the protocols he had in place to prevent “real” hazing. It’s probably just venting, like kids do sometimes when they have big feelings.

I’m comforted though, in that this viewpoint seems like message board and sports media hot takes vs. the perspectives of actual people I’ve had conversations with in real life.
There are a lot of reasons why people could feel that way. To assume otherwise or that this is a cut and dried situation is intellectually dishonest.

Maybe they don’t think it’s overblown. Maybe they think that a “buck stops here” mentality is an acceptable approach to leadership.
Maybe they think that, of all people, the king of ethics in the athletic department, Dr. Gragg may have been less than forthcoming about the details of the report when recommending a punishment.
Maybe they think that Occam’s Razor suggests that university leadership wasn't looking for excuses to fire the most popular figure at the university and pissing off the university’s biggest donors and many board members.
Maybe they find it interesting that multiple outlets (including Lou) have corroborated the allegations and that we haven’t had a single specific denial from members of the team over the period in question and instead have resorted to generalities like “exaggerated” and “twisted”.
Maybe they think that people could be out to make a buck AND bad things could have happened.

And it’s all moot anyway. None of us has read the report and in all likelihood it will never become public.

Funny, I had a similar thought but from opposite perspective…

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT