ADVERTISEMENT

Football Stadium Redo...

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
What could you reasonably do that makes sense for 8 games a year at home? What are the top improvements under discussion? Is it redoing seats instead of benches? What have you heard they are discussing?

And what is the timetable for the stadium project?

My understanding is that a project is not on the board at this time. But I heard that 2 months ago and it was qualified by the statement that if money appeared that could change.

What could you reasonably do that makes sense for 8 games a year at home? What are the top improvements under discussion? Is it redoing seats instead of benches? What have you heard they are discussing?

$150-250 million for infrastructure upgrades, concourse/bathroom upgrades, 30000+ full seats, etc. makes sense.

The only "official" statements that we have are some vague statements from Ryan and others that the stadium will be the next major project in the pipeline once some of the major projects finish (Fieldhouse and Arena in particular).

As for a timeline, Welsh-Ryan renovation clocks in at around 2-2.5 years from gift to probable completion so that's the best guess? Though a lot of comparable football projects (Stanford/TCU) clock in under 1.5-2 years.

I'd estimate an announcement of a $150-250 million stadium renovation in mid-2019 and completed by 2021. If the infrastructure upgrades are completed by 2020 season, then we may not need to play home games elsewhere but it depends on how big a renovation this will be (and whether there are unexpected delays).

Either way, stadium renovation is more a when than if at this point. Maybe that timeline gets shifted a year or two later depending on money as @Max_Power said, but that's just a question of when. The money will be there when the time comes.

How do they decide what to do with capacity verses comfort and game day experience?

What I'm getting at is that in this day and age of every game being televised, and the small student body/local alumni base, it may be difficult to create a "live", "NU centered" environment without sacrificing capacity. (I know, I know. BB capacity argument; see BB board). Attendance concern is a real phenomenon for many Power five schools these days.

OTOH, If recruiting and results on the field truly has an uptick due to the generous investment in athletics NU is experiencing. The "win some championships and they will come" argument will have some mettle.

Personally, since you can't prove that new fans will join the fray even if we average 10 wins a season, I would like to see improvements that will enhance the experience for those who do attend even if it reduces max capacity. Covered seating, thoughtful wind cheating design, more stadium seats, obviously better restrooms and concessions.
Any chance they could do one side at a time to avoid a season at a neutral site?

Any chance they could do one side at a time to avoid a season at a neutral site?
Given the design of our stadium, one side at a time is easily do-able from a technical standpoint. It would probably be three-four phases: one side, the other side, and then the end zone area and interior connectivity between the sides (assuming they only do one). Mississippi State just finished a major end zone in-fill without missing a home game. Our problem is lay-down area. MSU had more room around their stadium to block off for construction activities. We would have our parking lot access - which is already less than stellar - become even more difficult and lose spaces during the construction periods.

This phased approach would have construction going for probably up to three-four years. Might as well set up a dedicated phone center for neighbor complaints about construction traffic, dust, and noise.

How do they decide what to do with capacity verses comfort and game day experience?

What I'm getting at is that in this day and age of every game being televised, and the small student body/local alumni base, it may be difficult to create a "live", "NU centered" environment without sacrificing capacity. (I know, I know. BB capacity argument; see BB board). Attendance concern is a real phenomenon for many Power five schools these days.

OTOH, If recruiting and results on the field truly has an uptick due to the generous investment in athletics NU is experiencing. The "win some championships and they will come" argument will have some mettle.

Personally, since you can't prove that new fans will join the fray even if we average 10 wins a season, I would like to see improvements that will enhance the experience for those who do attend even if it reduces max capacity. Covered seating, thoughtful wind cheating design, more stadium seats, obviously better restrooms and concessions.
Yeah, it's probable that the building plan will be designed in such a way as to allow us to continue to play at home.

I could see a situation where we play with reduced capacity (just the home side and endzone), while the visitor side is rebuilt, and then immediately after the season the home side is demolished and rebuilt before the following season.

That's basically what TCU did when they did their renovations. They played one season at reduced capacity during their renovation process.

Yeah, it's probable that the building plan will be designed in such a way as to allow us to continue to play at home.

I could see a situation where we play with reduced capacity (just the home side and endzone), while the visitor side is rebuilt, and then immediately after the season the home side is demolished and rebuilt before the following season.

That's basically what TCU did when they did their renovations. They played one season at reduced capacity during their renovation process.
watch out they may just leave it at that reduced capacity. Then they can switch conferences. Maybe the MAC would like NU because of their seating numbers in both basketball and football.

Please stop all of the nonsense. Scrap the stadium and toss up a Minnesota Gopher type stadium. How much did that cost? I bet a lot less than these goofy $200 million rehabs. Good Grief!

Reactions: willycat
Please stop all of the nonsense. Scrap the stadium and toss up a Minnesota Gopher type stadium. How much did that cost? I bet a lot less than these goofy $200 million rehabs. Good Grief!

False. Google is your friend. TCF Bank Stadium cost $300 million in 2006/2009, which is about $345 million today.

False. Google is your friend. TCF Bank Stadium cost $300 million in 2006/2009, which is about $345 million today.
Ok, well, it's time to scrap that nasty stadium we have. It sucks. I mean just bulldoze it already and build a new one like Minny has. or maybe a cheaper model llike Baylor. Redoing things is retarded. If anything, just keep the towers if that keeps the old timers happy.

Ok, well, it's time to scrap that nasty stadium we have. It sucks. I mean just bulldoze it already and build a new one like Minny has. or maybe a cheaper model llike Baylor. Redoing things is retarded. If anything, just keep the towers if that keeps the old timers happy.

Be gone.

Baylor got a bargain. $266 mill and seats 45,000. Yeah, yeah, I know Chicago inflated cost, and Baylor was approved in 2012. But still, it is an awesome place with really nice sight lines and outstanding amenities.

Dyche/Ryan is the final step in providing first class facilities for football. I agree with Turk (for once). A face lift won't do it. Needs to be replaced with something far better, lower seating capacity, and done like the new, just christened on-campus facility. Better to spend the money and go first class - than half-assed. A company that I once worked for had a basic belief: "excellence in all things" . Either do it right, or don't do anything!

Quit futzing around with a renovation. This old concrete structure is 100 years old.

Plow it under and start fresh. Build a state of the art stadium we can showcase to the country!!! And make for the best experience for the fans!!!!

Seats instead of benches, immediately. Completely redo the interior of the west stadium, which may mean some expansion. Tear down the east and south stands and rebuild larger to match at least the west stands to a standard well beyond the 1930's. With new seats, the west stadium would be very cool--it is large enough and has a scale appropriate to NU football.

Seats instead of benches, immediately. Completely redo the interior of the west stadium, which may mean some expansion. Tear down the east and south stands and rebuild larger to match at least the west stands to a standard well beyond the 1930's. With new seats, the west stadium would be very cool--it is large enough and has a scale appropriate to NU football.
Hey, Pat Ryan isn't made of money, you know. Er . . . . . :D

I put this in the "Be careful of what you wish for'" category. People wanted new parking lot improvements for the West lot. Got them but with it came 40 % reduction in spaces and far bigger donations to get in. Wanted new BB arena got it and again reduction in seating, increased prices and long time ST holders lose their spots and huge donations required to get good seats. What will happen with a facility improvement plan for the FB stadium? PSLs? Other big donation requirements, higher prices, reduced seating?

In Chicago? Just the payoffs would require more than that.

Baylor got a bargain. $266 mill and seats 45,000. Yeah, yeah, I know Chicago inflated cost, and Baylor was approved in 2012. But still, it is an awesome place with really nice sight lines and outstanding amenities.

Dyche/Ryan is the final step in providing first class facilities for football. I agree with Turk (for once). A face lift won't do it. Needs to be replaced with something far better, lower seating capacity, and done like the new, just christened on-campus facility. Better to spend the money and go first class - than half-assed. A company that I once worked for had a basic belief: "excellence in all things" . Either do it right, or don't do anything!
It is not just inflated costs because it is Chicago but also because we experience a little thing called winter. Also we would have to remove the existing facility before we could even start and a guarantee that would not be cheap. My guess is the cost would be closer to $700 mill

I would guess today it would be closer to $400-450 mill. in MN And since that was not the site of where they played likely much less than having to raze a site. Also since it is not where they played, they did not have to make arrangements including costs for playing elsewhere . Overall I would guess something like that for us would be closer to $750 mill. and depending on when it would actually be done (10 years in the future?), it is not hard to imagine the cost exceeding $1B

I think the absolute maximum for a stadium renovation is $400 million, and I'm a little skeptical they'll go for a number that big for a facility that won't see anywhere near the usage that the current $400 million in outlays are going for (arena and day-to-day facilities).

$150-250 million that completely upgrades the infrastructure, concourses/bathrooms, installs 30000+ seats sounds like a solid upgrade.

Of course, if the boosters want to go bigger for a complete rebuild... it's their money, so by all means, I won't complain.

I would guess today it would be closer to $400-450 mill. in MN And since that was not the site of where they played likely much less than having to raze a site. Also since it is not where they played, they did not have to make arrangements including costs for playing elsewhere . Overall I would guess something like that for us would be closer to $750 mill. and depending on when it would actually be done (10 years in the future?), it is not hard to imagine the cost exceeding $1B

That's just a straight inflation-based number, not taking into account cost differentials, etc.

I think the absolute maximum for a stadium renovation is $400 million, and I'm a little skeptical they'll go for a number that big for a facility that won't see anywhere near the usage that the current $400 million in outlays are going for (arena and day-to-day facilities).

$150-250 million that completely upgrades the infrastructure, concourses/bathrooms, installs 30000+ seats sounds like a solid upgrade.

Of course, if the boosters want to go bigger for a complete rebuild... it's their money, so by all means, I won't complain.
For what NU would build, cost of a new facility would likely not exceed $500,000,000. They would scrimp down and start skipping things to make sure it stayed under that. Given it is a few years in the future, you would probably start off with architect's renderings showing beautiful landscaped outdoor sitting areas which would never make it to actual construction. And you would probably end up with some fewer and less luxurious VIP boxes in the final version.

Renovating older structures is one of the highest risk ventures in construction. Right behind building over old landfills or junk yards. There is no telling what you will find that you were assuming you could use only to find out that much larger areas of construction are required. The renovation of our facility would probably be originally estimated at about $250,000,000 and end up about $350,000,000.

I am a little less ignorant on this topic than most but still amazingly ignorant with some wide open wild-ass guesses.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Renovating older structures is one of the highest risk ventures in construction. Right behind building over old landfills or junk yards. There is no telling what you will find that you were assuming you could use only to find out that much larger areas of construction are required. The renovation of our facility would probably be originally estimated at about $250,000,000 and end up about $350,000,000.

I am a little less ignorant on this topic than most but still amazingly ignorant with some wide open wild-ass guesses.

For what it is worth, Stanford did a tear down and rebuild 13 years ago, and spent about $85,000,000 in the process in a high cost area. The result is functional but low frills college football field. Taking inflation into account, the cost today would be a little less than $110,000,000.

For what it is worth, Stanford did a tear down and rebuild 13 years ago, and spent about $85,000,000 in the process in a high cost area. The result is functional but low frills college football field. Taking inflation into account, the cost today would be a little less than $110,000,000.
In Chicago, payoffs alone would be more than that. That aside, it is not Chicago and has no winter to deal with. Remember the cost of Soldier Field?

That was a fairly amazing achievement which I honestly feel the construction company must have pitched in some money. Also, they had much simpler foundations and structure than we would have. Using a bowl is a cool functional design and also helped them to minimize the impacts of seismic requirements on their costs. I don't think we have that option. The bowl requires more land area for the same seating and/or a low water table.

I'm certainly not an expert and people can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is much less regulation with a renovation of an existing structure than there is with a bulldoze/new construction . Some of the home "renovations" I've seen in Chicago left one small corner portion of the existing foundation intact. The rest being totally new.

I have been to a couple of games at Stanford Stadium. Completely lacking in charm. Bathrooms and foodservice areas are better but cold and unappealing. Retrofitting keeps the historic charm, and probably does not force you to play somewhere else for a while.

I have been to a couple of games at Stanford Stadium. Completely lacking in charm. Bathrooms and foodservice areas are better but cold and unappealing. Retrofitting keeps the historic charm, and probably does not force you to play somewhere else for a while.
Just build a Minnesota replica. Lots of space out in the lake.

I'm certainly not an expert and people can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe there is much less regulation with a renovation of an existing structure than there is with a bulldoze/new construction . Some of the home "renovations" I've seen in Chicago left one small corner portion of the existing foundation intact. The rest being totally new.
Not a whole lot less. Might dodge some environmental or grading permits. But a major overhaul would require gutting the electrical system and bringing everything up to code. That alone would be a major pain and would require as much coordination with the electric company as new construction. Given how much of the structure is concrete would make using the existing foundations challenging but not impossible. A lot of Chicago structures are built on piles or caissons and they would definitely want to use those. It would be a fascinating pain in the butt. A project that is awful to live through but great to remember and take pictures of.

Reactions: Dugan15
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT