Buie366957+12+2.2+14.2
Barnhizer315745+12+1.1+13.1
Audige387167+4+1.6+5.6
Verhoeven224435+9-3.5+5.5
Berry306059+1+2.0+3.0
Martinelli111614+2+0.5+2.5
Nicholson183132-1-0.5-1.5
Beran152726+1-3.3-2.3

Nice win for the Wildcats against a Boise State team that just wasn't very impressive. Having seen the Broncos play previously, I thought we'd win by 10 or more. Oh well, a bit too optimistic, but I never felt we were in danger of losing this game. We were generally bigger and more athletic, so we simply went out and took care of business.

Boo Buie and Brooks Barnhizer were the most effective Wildcats. Boise had no answer for Buie driving the lane. Ty Berry had a nice night shooting the ball, which was encouraging to see. Even Chase Audige was productive on the offensive end, getting to the free throw line 8 times, making 5 of 12 field goal attempts.

In the frontcourt, Coach Collins sought specific pairings. Ty Verhoeven played 22 minutes and Brooks Barnhizer was on the court with him for all but 30 seconds. That pairing was 44-33 against the Broncos.
More specifically, the 5 man lineup of Verhoeven/Barnhizer/Audige/Berry/Buie played 16 minutes and outscored Boise 33-25. This included 5 1/2 minutes to end the first half and 6 minutes to close out the game. This lineup has generally been too small against the Big Ten, but performed well last night.

Matt Nicholson only played 18 minutes. About 13 of those minutes were with Robbie Beran, who only played 14 1/2 minutes. That combo produced only a 25-24 edge in their time on the court.
The normally productive lineup of Nicholson/Barnhizer/Audige/Berry/Buie only played 84 seconds.

In the end, we weren't going to lose to Boise State. Had we attempted 10 lobs to Nicholson, he would have scored about 25 points.
I guess we just wanted to show some mercy to our outclassed Mountain West opponent.
As Stuart Smalley used to say "And That's Okay."

Reactions: GatoLouco
PlayerMinutesNU PtsBSU PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustNet +/-
Buie366957+12+2.2+14.2
Barnhizer315745+12+1.1+13.1
Audige387167+4+1.6+5.6
Verhoeven224435+9-3.5+5.5
Berry306059+1+2.0+3.0
Martinelli111614+2+0.5+2.5
Nicholson183132-1-0.5-1.5
Beran152726+1-3.3-2.3

Nice win for the Wildcats against a Boise State team that just wasn't very impressive. Having seen the Broncos play previously, I thought we'd win by 10 or more. Oh well, a bit too optimistic, but I never felt we were in danger of losing this game. We were generally bigger and more athletic, so we simply went out and took care of business.

Boo Buie and Brooks Barnhizer were the most effective Wildcats. Boise had no answer for Buie driving the lane. Ty Berry had a nice night shooting the ball, which was encouraging to see. Even Chase Audige was productive on the offensive end, getting to the free throw line 8 times, making 5 of 12 field goal attempts.

In the frontcourt, Coach Collins sought specific pairings. Ty Verhoeven played 22 minutes and Brooks Barnhizer was on the court with him for all but 30 seconds. That pairing was 44-33 against the Broncos.
More specifically, the 5 man lineup of Verhoeven/Barnhizer/Audige/Berry/Buie played 16 minutes and outscored Boise 33-25. This included 5 1/2 minutes to end the first half and 6 minutes to close out the game. This lineup has generally been too small against the Big Ten, but performed well last night.

Matt Nicholson only played 18 minutes. About 13 of those minutes were with Robbie Beran, who only played 14 1/2 minutes. That combo produced only a 25-24 edge in their time on the court.
The normally productive lineup of Nicholson/Barnhizer/Audige/Berry/Buie only played 84 seconds.

In the end, we weren't going to lose to Boise State. Had we attempted 10 lobs to Nicholson, he would have scored about 25 points.
I guess we just wanted to show some mercy to our outclassed Mountain West opponent.
As Stuart Smalley used to say "And That's Okay."
Nice. Any thoughts on comparing our seasonal +/- to UCLA’s?

They kept running the same set on offense, and Boise State didn’t adjust until later in the second half. Credit to the coaching staff for realizing that the ‘Cats were basically getting whatever they wanted out of it, and that Boise wasn’t making a defensive adjustment. If something is working, keep running it until they show that they can stop it.

Nice. Any thoughts on comparing our seasonal +/- to UCLA’s?
I don't have access to UCLA's play by plays... but it would be a ton of work if I could find it.
Torvik, Sagarin, Pomeroy and Miya all have their numbers and try to produce something realistic.

Ken Pomeroy still has Boise State rated higher than us. (thats insane)
Evan Miya has us ranked 58th. UCLA ranked 7th. We're 58th? really?
Sagarin has us 35th and UCLA 2nd. At least he has Boise ranked 62nd (and not an NCAA tournament team).

Jaylen Clark's injury hurts UCLA pretty significantly. Excellent defender, decent ballhandler, efficient scorer.

Their top 5 remaining players include 6'7" Jaime Jaquez, who will be a handful. Their point guard may have a quickness edge on Buie - if so thats a serious problem.

We will have a size advantage in the frontcourt.

UCLA lost to Illinois but then annihilated Maryland on their home court. Jahmir Young was brutally bad in that game for Maryland, presumably due to the defense of the now-injured Clark.

I don't have access to UCLA's play by plays... but it would be a ton of work if I could find it.
Torvik, Sagarin, Pomeroy and Miya all have their numbers and try to produce something realistic.

Ken Pomeroy still has Boise State rated higher than us. (thats insane)
Evan Miya has us ranked 58th. UCLA ranked 7th. We're 58th? really?
Sagarin has us 35th and UCLA 2nd. At least he has Boise ranked 62nd (and not an NCAA tournament team).

Jaylen Clark's injury hurts UCLA pretty significantly. Excellent defender, decent ballhandler, efficient scorer.

Their top 5 remaining players include 6'7" Jaime Jaquez, who will be a handful. Their point guard may have a quickness edge on Buie - if so thats a serious problem.

We will have a size advantage in the frontcourt.

UCLA lost to Illinois but then annihilated Maryland on their home court. Jahmir Young was brutally bad in that game for Maryland, presumably due to the defense of the now-injured Clark.
They are also down a big. Not as significant a player but changes the rotation and reduces the options.

He might play Saturday, but w a bum should and banging against the monster MN could put him back on the bench.

That little 400 year old PG is under 6’ and not a big 3 point threat - but he can dish. He’s also more likely to TO than to steal from you.

I think you let him run around the perimeter. Kinda need some length to counter their high scoring tall guards - so lots of BB, Mart and Beran.

Should be a good game. Lots of possibilities. CCC has a chance to coach in a way to make a difference. I’ll be keenly interested in how he runs the lineups and what he gets from them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT