ADVERTISEMENT

Four players drafted: historical perspective

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
The last time NU had four players drafted in the same year was 1985 (Alex Moyer, Steve Tasker, Keith Cruise and Kevin Brown). The last time there were more than 4 as 1967 (5).

The 1985 draft/ 1984 team was 2-9, so I guess there is little correlation between success in the draft/ success on the field.

The last time NU had four players drafted in the same year was 1985 (Alex Moyer, Steve Tasker, Keith Cruise and Kevin Brown). The last time there were more than 4 as 1967 (5).

The 1985 draft/ 1984 team was 2-9, so I guess there is little correlation between success in the draft/ success on the field.
I only looked up Tasker, who was a ninth-rounder. (Though he was pick #226, which would have been in the first half of the seventh round this season.)

Scouts cover much more talent than they did four decades ago, and it’s meaningful that each of them went in the top 200.

Probably the best day the program will have until early signing day…

The weird thing is Brandon Joseph left NU for better draft positioning, only to not be drafted coming out of a top 20 Notre Dame team and being signed as an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) with the Detroit Lions.

The weird thing is Brandon Joseph left NU for better draft positioning, only to not be drafted coming out of a top 20 Notre Dame team and being signed as an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) with the Detroit Lions.
Almost the same thing with Skowronek. Yes, he got drafted but only very late in the 7th round. It's hard to claim ND helped amplify his credentials much either.

The weird karmic thing is Brandon Joseph left NU for better draft positioning, only to not be drafted coming out of a top 20 Notre Dame team and being signed as an Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) with the Detroit Lions.
FIFY

Posting this interesting tidbit here for lack of a better place.

Reactions: DaCat
I wonder how many of those Illinois guys we offered? Can't believe we whiffed so badly on Van Ness, too.

While some of it has been scheme/coaching, a big part for the struggles has been too many misses on recruiting, esp. among the higher rated recruits, which has led to poor roster building (same can be said for the period btwn the 2 Tourney appearances).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT