ADVERTISEMENT

Freshman Learning Curve

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
I have never given much credit to freshman contributing much... Maybe that is my bias from football showing through. Here is the basketball question.

Are freshman basketball players more ready to contribute these days vs 20 years ago, due to better HS conditioning, club basketball experience and better all around coaching at the HS level? Can we hope for more from our big freshman class than my normally low, uneducated expectations?

I started as a true frosh at NU. Beat out a returning starter in the process. That being said,it's the grueling academic stress that will bring u down. As an economic major, you are taking econ and calculus during the season. Pretty brutal. Plus adjusting to the campus life. Plus, leaving home. Just not an easy task. Especially if u got a girlfriend. I would redshirt guys,if at all possible.

Reactions: wocka
So, yes, freshman are more ready than in years past.

However, this NU class may fall below the freshman average because they did not compete in AAU at the same level of intensity as other recruits.

My perspective....it's about speed and strength. If you have the skill but don't have the strength to execute, your contribution is nullified. And, especially for the bigs....if the game is moving too fast...you need another year of practicing w D1 talents to get used to it.

Last year and this year....probably the best rosters I've seen in 40 years of following NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT