ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, Oct 18 v dOSU

And I just received an email from the NU ticket office, also indicating that the Ohio State game will be on that Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamCat
With the new realignment, we get Ohio St in Evanston once every 6 years. Highly disappointing this is shoehorned into a Friday. We were thrilled to plan a whole weekend around this which is now out the window.

Last edited:
On the bright side, it could maybe possibly cut down on the out of control drunkenness of OSU fans?

Nah, probably not. Friday night football sucks.

Reactions: GeorgiaCat
With the new realignment, we get Ohio St in Evanston once every 6 years. Highly disappointing this is shoehorned into a Friday. We were thrilled to plan a whole weekend around this which is now out the window.

Yea... The upside is NU is coming off a bye week and OSU will given the short week due to the game being played on Friday. I would expect OSU to ask the Big Ten to move this game to Saturday.

dOSU website says the same thing, and they also have a bye week the week before, so no advantage from that standpoint.

So fewer of our fans can make it from work or other obligations, leaving room for even more Bucknuts. Good work!

Reactions: catfans5
dOSU website says the same thing, and they also have a bye week the week before, so no advantage from that standpoint.

The fact that both teams are coming off a bye is pretty much the only reason they moved it to Friday; given Fitz's mini-tantrum about Friday games earlier this year, I don't think he would have been particularly receptive to changing his weekly routine in-season to move a game to Friday.

What I find most interesting about this is wondering how NU will handle two Slightly different, but related conflicts.

First, the unwillingness to bend the rule on tailgate lots opening early combined with the hordes of OSU fans who won’t read/accept opening times and clog the streets trying to get into the lots and the inevitable conflict between businesses trying to operate and football fans trying to operate on a Saturday schedule.

Same with the day of game free parking lots that are along the Evanston campus and free on a Saturday because there are no academic activities that require use of those lots on a regular weekday.

Haven’t looked, but is this a break on the academic calendar? If it isn’t put me down for $10 internet dollars predicting Morty makes it an academic holiday.

When the conference tried to accommodate its TV partners with extra windows for broadcast, I kept thinking of the logistical nightmare of trying to mix football and weekday business on many campuses, especially with a Friday afternoon outbound rush hour lining up with a huge influx of football fans. I get Labor Day weekend and Black Friday. But all the others? Maybe Champaign? happy Valley? But after College Park, Ann Arbor and Madison, I would have thought Evanston would have been high on the list of WTF are you thinking?

Campus parking lots are normally open to the general public after 4pm anyway so I don't see that as a problem.

I thought OSU was one of the B1G schools that said they would never play on Friday?

Ohio State put a restriction on how often they would host such a game. And said the ONLY dates that they would be willing to do so was if the home game lined up with an Academic break for the reasons I implied above.

Note to poster “catreporter”, If September’s Michigan game experience is a reliable indicator, those public lots will have cars looking to park, tailgate and drink beginning at 8am. Since athletics punts on enforcement of tailgating policies to third party vendors (golf course) or does nothing (campus), this will be fun to watch NU security telling a fan base brought up on a tailgating tradition it simply has to wait.

This is the part of Dr Jim’s “leadership” where I just scratch my head. You have a home fan base that really doesn’t move much past the 25k number, yet this game will sell out (OSU fans one way or another) and then Northweatern just sticks it’s head in the sand at the obvious problems that will ensue when a rabid fan base comes to town.

this game will sell out (OSU fans one way or another) and then Northweatern just sticks it’s head in the sand at the obvious problems that will ensue when a rabid fan base comes to town.

Being unable to manage at or near capacity crowds is our tradition. I’m biased, but I think we do it better than anyone in the Big Ten. It wouldn’t feel like Gameday if I didn’t argue with the golf course parking coordinators, wait in long lines to get into the stadium, and stare uneasily at the mysterious meat product I bought from the concession stand. Embrace the chaos and enjoy thinking about how visiting fans don’t have any idea what they are about to experience.

Reactions: NUCat320
So fewer of our fans can make it from work or other obligations, leaving room for even more Bucknuts. Good work!

Listening to 97.1 Columbus this afternoon, the radio hosts are pointing out that OSU fans will be impacted by 2 days to make it to the game.

Personally - I think this gives NU fan base the advantage - but you never know

Reactions: ricko654321
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT