ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW (RE: postseason hopes)

ColumbusCatFan1

Jun 18, 2005
After watching a team that was closer to resembling the 2016-17 squad on Saturday than perhaps at any point this year, I (probably like many) starting thinking about a potential hot streak to close out the regular season and what that might lead to.

So naturally, I took a peak at the 'Cats post season resume...and it's not pretty.

Personally, I never give up hope until all the games are played, but it's going to be a steep climb to just get back into the NIT picture, let alone the NCAA bubble (NU will likely need to win the BTT to get into the dance this year).

For those interested, here's a link to the always helpful CBS RPI breakdown. Even with RPI seemingly de-emphasized in 2018, this page is a great reference for information related to selection criteria.

Last edited:
It’s not even a conversation worth having right now. I like the approach Collins offered after Saturday’s game. Play the last 10 games for what they are and nothing else. Maybe that will allow us to play hard and with a little less pressure.

Reactions: Fitz51
It’s not even a conversation worth having right now. I like the approach Collins offered after Saturday’s game. Play the last 10 games for what they are and nothing else. Maybe that will allow us to play hard and with a little less pressure.
Chances are slim. But I did make a bet with a friend at 10-1 odds that we would win out in football when were 2-3. Lets take our momentum to Minnesota and see if we can go 1-0. They are reeling, but going on the road is always tough. I see a close game on Tuesday. In order to have any chance in that big ten tourney we will need to at least have the 1 or 2 bye but we got to the semi’s last year then completely ran out of fuel. Like I said from the first post I will always cheer and swear at the tv hoping for victory. One thing is forsure, we have nothing to lose now. Really missing Taphorn coming in and draining those 2 threes to put us on a run. Hope Falzon can do that for us with some designed plays.

Go Cats!!!

Chances are slim. But I did make a bet with a friend at 10-1 odds that we would win out in football when were 2-3. Lets take our momentum to Minnesota and see if we can go 1-0. They are reeling, but going on the road is always tough. I see a close game on Tuesday. In order to have any chance in that big ten tourney we will need to at least have the 1 or 2 bye but we got to the semi’s last year then completely ran out of fuel. Like I said from the first post I will always cheer and swear at the tv hoping for victory. One thing is forsure, we have nothing to lose now. Really missing Taphorn coming in and draining those 2 threes to put us on a run. Hope Falzon can do that for us with some designed plays.

Go Cats!!!
We got Ash to replace Taphorn!

They are reeling, but going on the road is always tough. !
I wouldn't say Minny is "reeling". They also beat PSU last week but in (Un)Happy Valley. Coffey is back and played almost the entire game last weekend, Minny missed him big time in Rosemont. Tuesday will be a tough test, Minny no doubt will be just as focused after getting blown out by NU as NU was after getting embarrassed by PSU.

I wouldn't say Minny is "reeling". They also beat PSU last week but in (Un)Happy Valley. Coffey is back and played almost the entire game last weekend, Minny missed him big time in Rosemont. Tuesday will be a tough test, Minny no doubt will be just as focused after getting blown out by NU as NU was after getting embarrassed by PSU.
So what? We got Ash back to cover coffee!

I think Collins' approach is great for the team.

Not really sure why a thread that lightly skims over NU's postseason chances "is a conversation not worth having" though. Never have understood that line of reasoning. A message board thread like this one does not impact the focus of the squad.

Last edited:
I think Collins' approach is great for the team.

Not really sure why a thread that lightly skims over NU's postseason chances "is a conversation not worth having" though. Never have understood that line of reasoning. A message board thread like this one does not impact the focus of the squad.

I was mostly agreeing with you and using a phrase, not saying you shouldn't have created the thread.

Go Cats!!!
MN got back Cofee and we can't count on early fouls on their double double machine will take him out so it will likely be a more difficult game in a place that is not easy to play

No matter what happens Tomorrow night in the game we all get to watch First Dance Premiere that will follow the game on BTN.

After watching a team that was closer to resembling the 2016-17 squad on Saturday than perhaps at any point this year, I (probably like many) starting thinking about a potential hot streak to close out the regular season and what that might lead to.

So naturally, I took a peak at the 'Cats post season resume...and it's not pretty.

Personally, I never give up hope until all the games are played, but it's going to be a steep climb to just get back into the NIT picture, let alone the NCAA bubble (NU will likely need to win the BTT to get into the dance this year).

For those interested, here's a link to the always helpful CBS RPI breakdown. Even with RPI seemingly de-emphasized in 2018, this page is a great reference for information related to selection criteria.
Nice cbs link! Right now, Ash is second on the team,behind only Mac, in turnover to assist ratio. Also,Ash at 32.3 is hitting threes better than Scottie this year and less than 2 points behind Mac from downtown!

Yeah I also looked at RPI the other day. Man it would have been nice to have that Georgia Tech game in the win column at least. To say nothing of potential good wins against Purdue and Creighton that were within NU’s grasp.

It will be an uphill climb now, but a .500 or better record in conference is a realistic goal, as is the NIT. And even though it’s not what was expected at the start of the season, that outcome would leave the program treading water from last year’s high, in my opinion.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Yeah I also looked at RPI the other day. Man it would have been nice to have that Georgia Tech game in the win column at least. To say nothing of potential good wins against Purdue and Creighton that were within NU’s grasp.

It will be an uphill climb now, but a .500 or better record in conference is a realistic goal, as is the NIT. And even though it’s not what was expected at the start of the season, that outcome would leave the program treading water from last year’s high, in my opinion.

Our RPI is significantly worse than NORTHEASTERN's, a team who we would be favored against if we played them. It is transitive property-based nonsense.

11-7 in conference and a win in BT tournament gets us in dance

Agreed.

I'd be pleased with a NIT appearance and another 20 win season. Accomplishing that feat would mean NU finished the year on a strong note and gained back a little bit of positive momentum after the surprisingly poor start to the season.

Reactions: IGNORE2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT