ADVERTISEMENT

Game Outcome Saturday probably depends on QB play

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Reading the write ups comparing the Cats to the Badgers, the recurrent theme seems to be the similarities of the two teams. Each team is said to execute well, play their assignments, rely on a power run game, show enough ingenuity in play design to keep opponents a little off balance on both sides of the ball, and play a physically dominating style. Wisconsin’s O line is seen as a bit stronger, the Cats overall defense is seen as an asset. Several of the write ups have said that since both teams play strong run defense, the game may well hinge on moving the ball passing and avoiding mistakes doing so.

The two QBs are a real contrast. Mertz, a 4 star recruit, has a strong arm and has yet to throw an interception in college. He does not have much experience, having thrown 53 passes at the college level. While he is mobile enough to not be a liability, he was not recruited as dual threat, and has not been used yet in designed runs for Wisconsin. Based on his two starts, he has an excellent arm and technique, and has been putting his passes where they need to go.

Payton Ramsey has thrown more than 1000 passes at the college level, and was recruited and has played as dual threat, recording a net of almost 1000 yards on the ground including losses from sacks. He does not have a rifle for an arm, and has made a few mistakes in his throws, with 4 passes intercepted in 4 games, including the complete misread against Nebraska that essentially handed the Huskers their only TD.

From reading the write ups, snippets of interviews give what to me is the crux of this contrast of QBs. The NU coaches have said that Ramsey recognizes his mistakes but doesn’t let the mistakes rattle him. Mertz has said that the Cats’ defense hides its coverages well and challenges a QB’s ability to read them forcing mistakes. What isn’t clear is how he will react to making a mistake or two. Ramsey will probably make a mistake or two, but is unlikely to make a bunch. Mertz has the talent to play a flawless game, but has not had a chance to respond to a situation where he does err. Assuming the team that wins will do so because the QB makes plays, the ability both to make them and not get gun shy after a screwup will probably determine the outcome. The Cats get a little bonus in that Ramsey can make plays with his legs as well as his arm.

I really have no idea who will win Saturday. I do believe that the Cats have a chance both because of Ramsey’s experience, and his ability to make plays with his legs. I think the Badgers have a chance because Mertz can really deliver the ball. How Mertz plays under pressure is an unknown, and I am sure an item of intense interest to Wisconsin fans, since if he passes the Wildcat test, he may well also stand up well to OSU.

The Cats need to win the games in the series when they have the more experienced and/or better QB.

Wouldn't hurt if the O-line plays their best game of the season.

Reading the write ups comparing the Cats to the Badgers, the recurrent theme seems to be the similarities of the two teams. Each team is said to execute well, play their assignments, rely on a power run game, show enough ingenuity in play design to keep opponents a little off balance on both sides of the ball, and play a physically dominating style. Wisconsin’s O line is seen as a bit stronger, the Cats overall defense is seen as an asset. Several of the write ups have said that since both teams play strong run defense, the game may well hinge on moving the ball passing and avoiding mistakes doing so.

The two QBs are a real contrast. Mertz, a 4 star recruit, has a strong arm and has yet to throw an interception in college. He does not have much experience, having thrown 53 passes at the college level. While he is mobile enough to not be a liability, he was not recruited as dual threat, and has not been used yet in designed runs for Wisconsin. Based on his two starts, he has an excellent arm and technique, and has been putting his passes where they need to go.

Payton Ramsey has thrown more than 1000 passes at the college level, and was recruited and has played as dual threat, recording a net of almost 1000 yards on the ground including losses from sacks. He does not have a rifle for an arm, and has made a few mistakes in his throws, with 4 passes intercepted in 4 games, including the complete misread against Nebraska that essentially handed the Huskers their only TD.

From reading the write ups, snippets of interviews give what to me is the crux of this contrast of QBs. The NU coaches have said that Ramsey recognizes his mistakes but doesn’t let the mistakes rattle him. Mertz has said that the Cats’ defense hides its coverages well and challenges a QB’s ability to read them forcing mistakes. What isn’t clear is how he will react to making a mistake or two. Ramsey will probably make a mistake or two, but is unlikely to make a bunch. Mertz has the talent to play a flawless game, but has not had a chance to respond to a situation where he does err. Assuming the team that wins will do so because the QB makes plays, the ability both to make them and not get gun shy after a screwup will probably determine the outcome. The Cats get a little bonus in that Ramsey can make plays with his legs as well as his arm.

I really have no idea who will win Saturday. I do believe that the Cats have a chance both because of Ramsey’s experience, and his ability to make plays with his legs. I think the Badgers have a chance because Mertz can really deliver the ball. How Mertz plays under pressure is an unknown, and I am sure an item of intense interest to Wisconsin fans, since if he passes the Wildcat test, he may well also stand up well to OSU.
Doesn't it always come down to down to that?

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT