ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: EIU vs. Northwestern

Nice game. Lausch ended the game strong and actually has me really excited about the season. Always room for improvement, but at least we seem to be getting the bugs on offense out. We need to get the engine purring for next week. Washington and Indiana will be real tests for us.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
17/19 after that stretch is great.

Just had to get settled in; looked fine as soon as the completions started happening...
I was worried about his arm, especially on some of his throws to Kirtz in the first half, but he did much better in the second half. Seems to have good chemistry with Henning in particular.

Reactions: zeek55
Not too sure that the coaching staff is the problem, as they are dealing with a really talent starved team. Hopefully they can recruit better after this season. 3 star recruits are only a good thing in the old Mountain West and the AAC, etc. Braun last season stated to the press he wanted the program to be a developmental program. That isn't looking too good thus far. A straight up 3 star team isn't going to get that far in the new expanded B1G.
A 3 star team was enough to contend reasonably well when Fitz was here…

Not too sure that the coaching staff is the problem, as they are dealing with a really talent starved team. Hopefully they can recruit better after this season. 3 star recruits are only a good thing in the old Mountain West and the AAC, etc. Braun last season stated to the press he wanted the program to be a developmental program. That isn't looking too good thus far. A straight up 3 star team isn't going to get that far in the new expanded B1G.
Recruiting is going to completely change over the next couple of years as we start using revenue to fund NIL. A lot will change.

We'll be spending upwards to $20-25 million a year on NIL from AD revenue.

So I think we just have to be patient.

A 3 star team was enough to contend reasonably well when Fitz was here
The B1G West sucked for the Thorson years, even Wisconsin went down a notch at the end of the Chryst era. Now we have Oregon and Washington to contend with, although Washington doesn't look so scary this season. Indiana, Maryland, and others seem to be getting better as well. We are 6 years since 2018, and a 3 star team, is just good enough to be competitive, not necessarily win. Put simply, the competition is getting stiffer.

Recruiting is going to completely change over the next couple of years as we start using revenue to fund NIL. A lot will change.

We'll be spending upwards to $20-25 million a year on NIL from AD revenue.

So I think we just have to be patient.
I sure hope so. I think we just need to see more 4 star kids come in here. It is very nice to make a bowl, but a bummer if we can't even smell a shot at the B1G title.

Having watched the whole game before commenting, I'll say Lausch looked better than I expected and about as good as anybody could have hoped. He started very slowly, very cautious, then decided to get his ass in gear. I think the smiles on the receivers faces were because the QB was getting them the ball when they got open.

Lausch seems to have a positive personality and other intangibles. But it was only Eastern Illinois, so the going gets tougher immediately.

IU looks like a very solid & well-coached football team. They will win some games this year. UCLA ... not so much.

This is, IMO, the good side of the new transfer rules and NIL, our brave new CFB world. Struggling, second tier programs like Indiana or Kansas can flip flop from big losers to big winners in one offseason.

I mean, I'm a traditionalist, and still would like to go back to the old days of the PAC 10, Big 8 (not 12), the old South West (when Rice, TCU, Houston and SMU were in the Big Boy league with Texas, A&M and Texas Tech), and the old Big East - when Pitt and Syracuse were national powers.... etc., etc. These new P5 and now P4 completely geographically mish mash conferences make me want to puke.

But this is what we got, and one thing I DO like is that teams that have been losers FOREVER like Indiana and Kansas can change overnight. So good for Indiana, who seem to have found the right coach, and the right NIL formula. Just maybe our new boss Mr. Jackson can help us meaningfully adjust some of our institutional road blocks so we don't get left behind.

I never participate in the game thread and only occasionally read it after the fact to see if I can pick up any nuggets. Nope. Pretty much stream of consciousness negativity without insight by the usual suspects. Pretty much what one would expect watching a game surrounded by alcohol enhanced fans so I guess it has that going for it.

I never participate in the game thread and only occasionally read it after the fact to see if I can pick up any nuggets. Nope. Pretty much stream of consciousness negativity without insight by the usual suspects. Pretty much what one would expect watching a game surrounded by alcohol enhanced fans so I guess it has that going for it.
I sorta learned my lesson years ago that it's really hard to comment without the whole game in perspective.

Lausch's game was the perfect example of that. Rough start, probably nerves, but he settled in and was smooth the rest of the way.

Comments after that 3/12 start are going to age poorly after he went 17/19 the rest of the way.

It's why I always bite my tongue on harsh negative commentary early in a game. Just doesn't add anything and can look silly later on...

Reactions: No Chores

But the spur-of-the-moment comments can be pretty funny!
I usually go back after the fact and read the thread just to see who was saying what.
Cheap entertainment!
I confess to having an "Oh My God, Lausch is terrible" reaction to the first 20 minutes of action, but thankfully it was just a temporary situation, driven by a nervous first-time starter.

I don't want to get too excited about how well he played in the 2nd half. If he plays well against Washington, I'll be pretty happy.

Reactions: zeek55 and Rebel II
What struck me was that Lausch’s poise even when he was passing poorly. His running instincts seemed spot on, sort of like Josh Allen. Not as fast as Wright, but good field vision. The commentators made a good point that when Lausch ran the two minute drill at the end of the half, he finally found his groove. I hope he doesn’t have to find it again next week and just starts strong.

Reactions: No Chores
It is a game thread, it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT