ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for Chicago State vs. NU

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I wasn't able to make it to the game tonight, so I was going to have to watch it on BTN+. But it looks like I may not be able to see it at all. I had to reset my password (it's been a long time) for BTN+, and I've been waiting for them to send a code to my email for more than a half-hour now. If they don't send it soon, I may be out of luck. I still have to enter all my payment info too. :mad:

It's not the end of the world. It's Chicago State. (If they lose to Chicago State, that would be the end of the world.) I'm depending on you guys to bring this one home.

Last edited:
I thought Brian James wasn't going to be allowed to be on the bench...but there he is right next to Lowery. So we have 4 assistant coaches now?

Audige is easily a Top 2 player on the team. Many key defensive plays so far and no bad shots.

Matt Nicholson comes in at 14:56, immediately gets a steal and then Audige gives him an assist for the emphatic slam.

Well, we still can't shoot and we're getting dominated on the defensive glass...

I wasn't able to make it to the game tonight, so I was going to have to watch it on BTN+. But it looks like I may not be able to see it at all. I had to reset my password (it's been a long time) for BTN+, and I've been waiting for them to send a code to my email for more than a half-hour now. If they don't send it soon, I may be out of luck. I still have to enter all my payment info too. :mad:

It's not the end of the world. It's Chicago State. (If they lose to Chicago State, that would be the end of the world.) I'm depending on you guys to bring this one home.
No Roper?

Big man min will be dictated by defense this year and take everything happening with a grain of salt as it’s Chicago st… Both 5’s playing solid defense. Both 5’s have missed a couple box outs. Lots of missed box outs team wide.

Reactions: ballerog711
This CS team is a lot more athletic than I thought they would be. But man are they raw. Some very very poor fundamentals.

21 - 37 going into half time. I’ve seen some good and some bad, and CS looks a lot worse than Quincy.

Beran has been killing it at the FT line.

Matt looked decent, although I was sad watching CS pass right into his chest and him not noticing until the ball bounced away because he was staring off into the Wilson Club. But he got some dunks and that’s great.

Chase not scoring is a little worrying, but can’t complain about his 7 assists!

Seems like we’ve given up way too many offensive rebounds to CS. I appreciate that Audige seems to be more open to passing the ball instead of taking bad shots.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Seems like we’ve given up way too many offensive rebounds to CS. I appreciate that Audige seems to be more open to passing the ball instead of taking bad shots.
Looks like 6 of the offensive boards were off of 3 point misses. Long rebounds?

The play by play announcer tried to go into the subject of CC being on the hot seat. Lenine did not bite. Avoided it like a crusty old politician.

When Duke and UNC go on deep NCAA tournament, we're going to hear announcers say "the Northwestern transfer" more often than when Rex Walters made the Final Four with Kansas in 1993.
I will be surprised if Ryan Young is getting significant minutes in a tournament run. Duke has 2 injured 5-star players, including a 7 footer. He is a great guy to have on the team with all of the young players but I don't think he is going to be a rotation guy later in the season if everyone is healthy.

Reactions: NUCat320
I'm glad Nicholson is getting a chance this year. He looked much improved last night and with Young here, he wouldn't be getting many minutes. He needs playing time, but as they say "size matters" and according to Collins last night, he is now 7 foot one and he moves well.

I will be surprised if Ryan Young is getting significant minutes in a tournament run. Duke has 2 injured 5-star players, including a 7 footer. He is a great guy to have on the team with all of the young players but I don't think he is going to be a rotation guy later in the season if everyone is healthy.
I think I had posted this when he transferred, but last year Duke had Theo John, who grad transferred from Marquette and was the backup center behind Mark Williams. He started off with more minutes against easy teams but his usage declined come tourney time. It's slightly different this year as Duke's presumed starting center is injured, so Young has to pick up the slack until he's back, and will almost certainly see his minutes reduced later in the season. There's no question though that he'll likely get more run at Duke than he would have here, which is an insane thing to type.

Reactions: DaCat
I think I had posted this when he transferred, but last year Duke had Theo John, who grad transferred from Marquette and was the backup center behind Mark Williams. He started off with more minutes against easy teams but his usage declined come tourney time. It's slightly different this year as Duke's presumed starting center is injured, so Young has to pick up the slack until he's back, and will almost certainly see his minutes reduced later in the season. There's no question though that he'll likely get more run at Duke than he would have here, which is an insane thing to type.
So you think he’ll get more than 17-18 minutes a game when Duke’s lineup is healthy?

So you think he’ll get more than 17-18 minutes a game when Duke’s lineup is healthy?
Eh, no, but I think he will get a similar amount when the team is healthy and more until that point. Plus, he's behind a 5-star center there, whereas we have Matt Nicholson...who may turn out to be ok! He's just not a 5-star AA player.

Eh, no, but I think he will get a similar amount when the team is healthy and more until that point. Plus, he's behind a 5-star center there, whereas we have Matt Nicholson...who may turn out to be ok! He's just not a 5-star AA player.
I will be very surprised if he gets that many minutes when everyone is healthy and the freshmen are more experienced. Of course, it will depend on the opponent but I expect he will get some DNPs. The 2 5-star recruits that did not play are going to eat up 50 plus minutes at the forward and center positions.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I will be very surprised if he gets that many minutes when everyone is healthy and the freshmen are more experienced. Of course, it will depend on the opponent but I expect he will get some DNPs. The 2 5-star recruits that did not play are going to eat up 50 plus minutes at the forward and center positions.
He's essentially an insurance policy against future injuries.

There is no way Duke recruits RY if they had to make a 4 year commitment to him. He is like the professional free agent with an expiring contract that teams bring in for a year and then don’t re-up because the younger player is now ready.

Reactions: EagerFan
There is no way Duke recruits RY if they had to make a 4 year commitment to him. He is like the professional free agent with an expiring contract that teams bring in for a year and then don’t re-up because the younger player is now ready.
Are you thinking that Duke may have recruited Ryan Young just to make Collins look bad?
I mean they already have 4 guys who are 7 feet tall... and three are freshmen.

Here's the box score for their opening game...
Of their four 7 footers, the top prospect (Lively) is injured. He was the #1 rated prospect in his class.
Kyle Filipowski (#4 nationally) started next to Young and played 25 minutes. He's a taller Pete Nance.
Christian Reeves (#141) played 2 minutes of garbage time.
The other guy was a walk-on who played 1 minute last year and did not play in the opener.

So my guess is that Duke will use Ryan Young as a backup center - just like Chris Collins did last year!

When you check out the box score, please note that Duke puts "+/- " in there with Points, rebounds, steals and the other important stats. I found that particularly amusing. What does Duke know about basketball?

Reactions: IGNORE2
Are you thinking that Duke may have recruited Ryan Young just to make Collins look bad?
I mean they already have 4 guys who are 7 feet tall... and three are freshmen.

Here's the box score for their opening game...
Of their four 7 footers, the top prospect (Lively) is injured. He was the #1 rated prospect in his class.
Kyle Filipowski (#4 nationally) started next to Young and played 25 minutes. He's a taller Pete Nance.
Christian Reeves (#141) played 2 minutes of garbage time.
The other guy was a walk-on who played 1 minute last year and did not play in the opener.

So my guess is that Duke will use Ryan Young as a backup center - just like Chris Collins did last year!

When you check out the box score, please note that Duke puts "+/- " in there with Points, rebounds, steals and the other important stats. I found that particularly amusing. What does Duke know about basketball?

No they didn’t recruit RY to make CcC look bad. They could care less if he looks bad or not.

They recruited him for his veteran know how and as an insurance policy against the 5 stars not being ready. No one ever said RY isn’t a competent D1 player. I have said he is not a Duke “take” if he was as a HS recruit. God bless RY, he did exactly what I would have done if I was in his shoes and almost did myself a few decades back.

No they didn’t recruit RY to make CcC look bad. They could care less if he looks bad or not.

They recruited him for his veteran know how and as an insurance policy against the 5 stars not being ready. No one ever said RY isn’t a competent D1 player. I have said he is not a Duke “take” if he was as a HS recruit. God bless RY, he did exactly what I would have done if I was in his shoes and almost did myself a few decades back.
Besides CCC does a perfect job of making himself look bad.

No one ever said RY isn’t a competent D1 player.

Well, people say all sorts of things and there was plenty of debate about Young's strengths and weaknesses... but Duke isn't going to waste their time with a guy who isn't at least an "average" Power 6 player. I'm sure we can agree on that.

He seems like a great fit for that team, 10 minutes a game perhaps, surrounded by talent.

Well, people say all sorts of things and there was plenty of debate about Young's strengths and weaknesses... but Duke isn't going to waste their time with a guy who isn't at least an "average" Power 6 player. I'm sure we can agree on that.

He seems like a great fit for that team, 10 minutes a game perhaps, surrounded by talent.
But back to the point of the post, Duke is not recruiting Ryan Young to take up a roster spot for more than a year (or two if they want it). It was a perfect storm. Duke had 2 scholarship players returning total and Ryan Young is good enough to play if they need him but also understands and accepts that he may not play at all in some games if the freshmen develop as anticipated. The graduate transfer from Harvard played 2 minutes in the first game. It's not easy to find guys like that. At Northwestern, Young would get 15 to 30 minutes on every team we've had in the past 50 years.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
But back to the point of the post, Duke is not recruiting Ryan Young to take up a roster spot for more than a year (or two if they want it). It was a perfect storm. Duke had 2 scholarship players returning total and Ryan Young is good enough to play if they need him but also understands and accepts that he may not play at all in some games if the freshmen develop as anticipated. The graduate transfer from Harvard played 2 minutes in the first game. It's not easy to find guys like that. At Northwestern, Young would get 15 to 30 minutes on every team we've had in the past 50 years.
Duke seems to want to play two 7 footers together (Filipowski and Lively). That leaves Young and the #141 freshman as the primary backups for the blue chippers. Obviously there are a lot of other talented players and they have other ways to go about crushing opponents, but Young should see steady minutes, as a reserve. I definitely hope he doesn't sit for the games against North Carolina.

When I look at the minutes Young played last year (17.1) against the Big Ten, it still bugs me. Ryan Greer played 18.4. Elyjah Williams played 12.2. Berry 20.5. Beran 23.0. Duke wouldn't return any of those guys' phone calls.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Duke seems to want to play two 7 footers together (Filipowski and Lively). That leaves Young and the #141 freshman as the primary backups for the blue chippers. Obviously there are a lot of other talented players and they have other ways to go about crushing opponents, but Young should see steady minutes, as a reserve. I definitely hope he doesn't sit for the games against North Carolina.

When I look at the minutes Young played last year (17.1) against the Big Ten, it still bugs me. Ryan Greer played 18.4. Elyjah Williams played 12.2. Berry 20.5. Beran 23.0. Duke wouldn't return any of those guys' phone calls.
Young should have played more but in the same situation, they would love to take Beran for a year. The Harvard kid was the 4th leading scorer on a mediocre Harvard team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT