ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 7 Northwestern

Ok all we need is a Gonzaga 2017-esque run without the missed goaltend/technical and we are right back in it!

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
It’s going to take the half of our life to win this. I’d also not switch on Jacquez and keep Chase on him all night. Not saying he’d stop him, but that’s our best shot against him. Boo and Ty don’t have the size to hang with him when he backs them down.

It’s going to take the half of our life to win this. I’d also not switch on Jacquez and keep Chase on him all night. Not saying he’d stop him, but that’s our best shot against him. Boo and Ty don’t have the size to hang with him when he backs them down.
Barnhizer can stop him too. Had a nice defense on him early in the first half where he didn’t give an inch.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
Agree
I don’t even really agree UCLA looks amazingly better than NU. They’re good, but NU is playing good defense, keeping them in range scoring wise. They just can’t make shots. Some is UCLA’s defense, but everybody has the bricks.
Agree. NU is shooting 35% which includes 4 dunks and 1 layup by Nicholson. Just can’t beat a great team like this shooting so poorly.

Gotta stop the one-on-one crap, especially when playing superior athletes that can defend. Move the ball quickly for an open shot and work it to big Matt. If they don’t cover Jacquez and Bailey like glue on the perimeter in 2nd half, cats are going to get blown out.

Reactions: bjm989 and drewjin
Chase also has two fouls and will be on the bench if he picks up another quick one.

Both UCLA bigs (Bona and Nwuba) also have two fouls. Let's go at 'em.

Gotta stop the one-on-one crap, especially when playing superior athletes that can defend. Move the ball quickly for an open shot and work it to big Matt. If they don’t cover Jacquez and Bailey like glue on the perimeter in 2nd half, cats are going to get blown out.
Bailey is a 34% three point shooter that is hot. Not saying we can leave him wide open, but the three is not his strength, but he’s certainly made us pay with it so far.

Reactions: drewjin
Mick Cronin deserves credit for the way they’re defending. Jumping everything against a team so dependent on two guards to create. Leads to 10 MN points but the point is allowing just 25 in the first.

Two Jaquez 3’s was him setting a screen, rolling and who is on him? Beran. Slow to react, 3 pointer. Beran is very out of place in this game. I prefer to live with him taking advantage of Buie on a switch than seeing Beran on him.

Big Matt needs to be there at least 16 in this half. Same for Barnhizer.

Come on Cats, give us a special 20 minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT