ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for NU vs. Georgia

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
This is a big one in terms of a litmus test for the rest of the season. Last night's loss to Providence was disappointing, but the Friars are a likely tournament team ranked 30th in ESPN's BPI rankings. NU is 54th. If the Cats follow that up with a loss to Georgia (124th)...well I don't think there will be much confidence that this season will be a whole lot different than last season.

Reactions: DaCat
At the game. Georgia is horrible.

Defensive intensity tonight >>> defensive intensity last night. Greer has improved considerably. I hope he returns next year for a fifth year. We dodged a bullet with Buie and his arm injury. Young is a master of the angles.

Morty is here as usual. We will really miss him. He loves NU athletics. Told AD Gragg I will see him at the NCAA tourney. Go Cats!

I just wish that Buie would think twice before bringing the ball up court, dribbling a few times, then hoisting up a 26-footer. Bruh, pass the ball and run the offense. You can get that awful shot any time.
Why is an open 3-pointer an awful shot? His floater is an awful shot (so far this season) but if he can hit 38% of his 3-point shots, it's a good shot. If Young is rolling, feed him the ball. Otherwise, we don't have enough guys that are effective at driving to the basket and hitting a high percentage of 2-point shots. If there is an open 3, we should take it.

We will live and die with Boo this season. He hoisted up another crazy long shot that missed and now the 24 pt lead is down to 10.

Nance is sleep-walking through this game - he is a sieve in the lane on D. And Boo’s D is poor. Need to step up here.

Why is an open 3-pointer an awful shot? His floater is an awful shot (so far this season) but if he can hit 38% of his 3-point shots, it's a good shot. If Young is rolling, feed him the ball. Otherwise, we don't have enough guys that are effective at driving to the basket and hitting a high percentage of 2-point shots. If there is an open 3, we should take it.
He's a ball hog. As a point guard he needs to get other players involved.

Buie is the most frustrating player to watch. Can't wait for Brumbaugh to arrive and take over the reins.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
I could live without Buie’s multiple heat checks. But you guys are overlooking he is the only reliable exterior scorer on this team. Berry TBD. But Buie has to carry a fair amount of the scoring load or our offense will be very bad.

Beran, blah.

Nance, might be a bit too worn out.

He doesn’t make 38% of his shots from 25-feet or deeper. Not even close. So by your logic, the quickest way to that percentage is to avoid bombing from extra deep. Beyond that, it’s a shot he can get at any time — he doesn’t need to take it at the top of the shot clock. Taking that low percentage shot that early is basically giving away a possession. And that’s why it’s awful.

Bottom line is that he’s not a good enough player to snuff out his teammates’ contributions, especially Nance’s. At any given time there’s one, maybe two other people we’d rather have taking shots. So whether it’s forcing it into the lane or shooting from extra deep at the top of clock, it’s still a bad decision and needs to go away.

Last edited:
GA is today’s NU. Their fans might be saying “good effort” and similar self comforting things to see the silver lining of a game they blew very early

Reactions: phatcat
For those who believe in the transitive property:

Providence beat Wisconsin by the same margin as us.

Wisconsin is leading #12 Houston with 3 minutes to play.

Reactions: NREPP Fraud
Which explains his six assists. And only one turnover.
Idk who you’re responding to but I’ll say this: As much as I like him cutting down the really bad turnovers, some of his worst turnovers go down as “field goal attempts.”

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT