ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread for NU vs. Georgia

One thing being ignored in the "33% from 3 is like 50% from 2" theory is that when you go inside you get a lot more fouls called on your opponent. Not sure how big the effect is, but getting frontcourt opponents to go sit on the bench is helpful. Shooting free throws at a 75% success rate adds a little more value to going inside.

I know there was a study that said shooting a 15 footer was sub-optimal.
Agreed. I am all for continuing to get the ball to our bigs down low. I’m all for guys trying to drive to the basket under control. We haven’t had many guys capable of finishing at the basket through the years. I am hoping Roper and Simmons can develop that skill.

That’s not my takeaway, it’s my criticism. You’re absolutely right that when he ran the offense and got his teammates involved he was great. I’m pointing out that when he doesn’t do that, when the “old Boo” appears, we typically don’t get good results. It’s the thing that annoys me time and again. Hogging the ball and poor 3pt shot selection.

We can take all the threes we want, but if we’re not taking good threes what’s the point? Let’s not ignore the stats. He was 4-12 overall from 3 and by my count 2-7 on deep threes (25 ft and beyond). So 40% on what I deem to be “good” threes and 28% on what I think are “bad” threes, usually early in the clock. To me those are turnovers. Maybe in wrong though. Maybe he had an odd night. I’ll try to make time to chart it next game too.

For the record I think 18 ft jumpshots by *anyone* are a waste. Why increase shot difficulty for less of a return? Greer was guilty of it yesterday, for sure. Either attack the basket or pass it up to a three point shooter.
Unless you have a measuring tape, I am not sure how you determined he took 7 27 foot plus shots. I saw 2 shots that looked more than 3 steps behind the line. I thought he took 2 or 3 bad shots. The rest were shots that he was supposed to take in the flow of the offense. I have obviously beaten this dead horse enough. Any player who handles the ball as much as he does and who also needs to score for us to be successful is going to take some bad shots. Goes with territory. Scorers take bad shots sometimes. Not sure why it upsets so many people. Hopefully, when Audige comes back he will have less on his plate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT