ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Maryland vs. Northwestern

UMD outshooting NU by 10 percentage points. NU is in the game because of ball security (5TOs) and rebounding (26-24 edge, including 9 offensive.)

Ty getting the second chance here is a perfect example. NU is leading at the line, 10-6, so far.

UMD outshooting NU by 10 percentage points. NU is in the game because of ball security (5TOs) and rebounding (26-24 edge, including 9 offensive.)

Ty getting the second chance here is a perfect example. NU is leading at the line, 10-6, so far.
That’s now 5 o-boards for Matty.

Berry with a huge rebound! No idea why Young didn't do the same thing he'd done 10 times previously in the second half but I'll take it.

Was I the only shocked Young missed the jumper with like 20 to go?
Shocked that he missed and shocked that it was Boo on him instead of Berry. It was like both stars confidently told their respective coaches "I'll make it" just like Jimmy Chitwood and there's nothing a coach can do then except let ballplayers play.

Huge win. I was *shocked* that Boo got the defensive call on the final possession. Boo stayed right with Young and did the job.

The B1G sure is a fun league.
Ty was on him for the inbounds. As the ball comes in Ty retreats and it's Buie on Young. I was also surprised. Big Matt defended the pick well.

I did not understand why, when we decided to foul while up by 3, we did not first make it hard for Young to get the ball by double teaming him with the inbounds defender. We just let him get the ball easily and fouled. No time off the clock. We double teamed the next inbounds and they threw the ball across the court.

Shocked that he missed and shocked that it was Boo on him instead of Berry. It was like both stars confidently told their respective coaches "I'll make it" just like Jimmy Chitwood and there's nothing a coach can do then except let ballplayers play.
Dude had just made a much tougher 3! He was on fire. Could argue who should be on him but it felt it would not matter.

…and Brooks had an efficient 15 on 5-8 shooting. We really only need one non-Boo guy to be scoring to be a very good team. If two non-Boo guys are scoring, then we are a great team.

None of that is “lucky.”
We can agree to disagree. Bottom line is they won.

We can agree to disagree. Bottom line is they won.
IMO Langborg is the one who needs to shoot better, because if he doesn’t he’s a pretty bad player. Martinelli can contribute without shooting much but Langborg is a defensive liability so if he can’t score he hurts you.

Reactions: Sec.112
Dude had just made a much tougher 3! He was on fire. Could argue who should be on him but it felt it would not matter.
Yep. I felt more confident when the Cats were down one and Boo had the ball in his hands than I did when NU was up one and the ball was in Jahmir Young's hands. I was about 100% certain he'd make his shot and about 75% confident he'd get fouled too.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Jordan Geronimo had one of the best games of his career, of course. Tonight was his 100th game, and only the second time he's ever made 2 threes in a game...

Julian Reese nearly had a triple double - 10 points, 9 boards, 6 turnovers.

Reese had 20 in the upset win in Champaign, On the post game show, Collins said Maryland stayed in Chicago for three days following the win over the Illini. They really wanted this one. Great win!

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Reese had 20 in the upset win in Champaign, On the post game show, Collins said Maryland stayed in Chicago for three days following the win over the Illini. They really wanted this one. Great win!
The announcers mentioned multiple times that Illinois did not double team him. We made him uncomfortable the entire game with our trapping and it showed.

The announcers mentioned multiple times that Illinois did not double team him. We made him uncomfortable the entire game with our trapping and it showed.
He was incredibly dirty off the ball. The refs didn’t call it at all but he was getting away with a ton and shoving and throwing an occasional elbow. Not a fan of his.

He was incredibly dirty off the ball. The refs didn’t call it at all but he was getting away with a ton and shoving and throwing an occasional elbow. Not a fan of his.
Agree I saw that several times with him throwing elbows and pushing people around in a situation where he should have been called for a foul especially against hunger

Reactions: cats_man_too
An embarrassment of officiating, in front of their commissioner, no less. I nearly ruptured a blood vessel on the Reese travel that led to a 3 for them.

Glad to escape with a win. Next up is a nice opportunity for a quality road win against a team we’ve matched up well with but is tough in that building.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
Reese and Nicholson were each playing pretty physically. Lots of contact allowed by refs in the paint (THANK YOU). Reese was definitely bullying Hunger, mugging him somewhat. But Reese was complaining to the refs that Nicholson was pushing him around - because he was. Nicholson never got upset, just kept beating on him. To his credit, Reese kept battling.

The refs need to let the big guys play. The crap we have seen in the past with Nicholson breathing on Edey and getting whistled for a foul is grotesque. Other leagues let the big guys play. In the Big Ten you never know what they'll call and what they won't. Unless its Edey - then its a foul when you try to hold your position and he runs over you.

Interestingly, Collins said that Boo was their best perimeter defender because of his quickness and experience. However, he said you can’t have Boo guarding him the whole game because it would wear him down and he’s needed on the offensive end.

Nice that they could attend classes remotely during that time /s.

We'll see that with "West Coast Swings" in the future

Young is unbelievable. Maybe the best guard in the country. I was stunned he didn’t go to the basket with a chance to win it.

Best game for MN by far. Still had a touch foul or two and the FT needs work but he was generally physical and went up strong to score.

Boo had some surprisingly sloppy plays including a bad turnover and an inbounds 5 second violation. He’s human, folks.

I am not saying you are wrong. I was on my comfy couch and a lot of that is really only seen live. But Matt is pretty physical himself, probably made Reese feel his presence very often himself.

Hunger will learn to not let himself be bullied.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT