ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern vs. No. 23 Indiana

IU’s offense is seriously explosive, but I’m still genuinely surprised it’s the NU defense that seems to be giving out first

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
Both sides of the ball are doing enough ti stay in the game by our fingertips, but somebody in the defense needs to make a big play

Lausch's basically been improving in front of our eyes across 3 games. (Also what a difference when the balls are being caught vs dropped like at Washington).

Hey look at that, stuffing it in didn’t work and we had to spread things out and make em defend all 53 yards

Lausch's basically been improving in front of our eyes across 3 games. (Also what a difference when the balls are being caught vs dropped like at Washington).
Definitely helps a hell if a lot when Kirtz and Henning are out there making plays for him.

Reactions: phatcat
There's always a man wide open in the middle of that zone and we're either unwilling or incapable of adjusting.

We have to dial up some blitzes next drive and take some chances. This pitch-and-catch has to stop.

Indiana's offense is legit. Hard to see any but the best teams in the Big Ten beating them unless they have a game where they play poorly (and they didn't today).

Only Ohio State probably has a better offense on our schedule.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Indiana's offense is legit. Hard to see any but the best teams in the Big Ten beating them unless they have a game where they play poorly (and they didn't today).
The issue is there are a LOT of great teams in the big ten. The water line is rising rapidly.

Reactions: cat inkansas
The issue is there are a LOT of great teams in the big ten. The water line is rising rapidly.
Yeah, I think I pointed out in another thread, but I think this is the strongest set of coaching staffs across the conference that we've perhaps ever seen.

Probably 16 out of 18 teams have what I'd consider solid coaching staffs (except UCLA and Purdue).

It's going to be tough to find wins when Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers, etc. have solid coaching in place.

Not sure about that, Rourke is getting the ball out super fast
The defense is just running out of gas. Too much time on the field. Needed a turnover or sack at a critical point and it never happened. Indiana makes you defend the entire width and length of the field. They are a good team.

Only Ohio State probably has a better offense on our schedule.
I don't think they have the defense to compete with the top BIG teams. They haven't played anybody decent yet.

I don't think they have the defense to compete with the top BIG teams. They haven't played anybody decent yet.
Indiana got a favorable schedule; 4 of their final 6 games are Nebraska, Michigan State, Washington, and Purdue. They also face Michigan and Ohio State...

They have a legit shot at 11-1 if things go their way, and I think their offense is much better than Michigan's...

With the team they have, they should be aiming for 10+ wins.

We may end up losing this game but I could see pointing to this game as a positive turning point for NU’s season. I think we found ourselves a QB today. A huge step in Lausch’s development and confidence today. He still has a lot to improve on but I think after today he knows he belongs out there.

Reactions: zeek55
And yet again NU has a great chance to get em off the field and can’t do it. Thag Sarrat kid is legit.

Indiana got a favorable schedule; 4 of their final 6 games are Nebraska, Michigan State, Washington, and Purdue. They also face Michigan and Ohio State...

They have a legit shot at 11-1 if things go their way, and I think their offense is much better than Michigan's...
The Michigan game is highly interesting, as is Washington and Nebraska, in descending order

Reactions: zeek55
Not gonna lie, I love the Cignetti scheme. Modern varied offense. Executed at a tremendous level. RPO or PA looks on most plays. Complete indecision and difficult choices on islands by the linebackers on every play. What a modern offense.

Let us put this into perspective. This is indiana. Last year they barely won three games. Now they're a top 20 team. It's all about transfers and the portal. Going to be very hard for us to keep up.

Reactions: cat inkansas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT