ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern vs. No. 6 Penn State

Can Kurt Anderson be tried for involuntary manslaughter? Can the estate of Ben Bryant sue him?

That was a totally unblocked defensive lineman at the goal line. Holy effffff.

It’s almost like the position coaches that Fitz wasn’t forced to fire were terrible at their jobs and remain so.
Hopefully Anderson is shown the door at the end of the season. I still remember Vaccher talking this guy up when he was first hired. I was hoping he would live up to the hype, but he sucks. His best lineman he "produced" didn't need his coaching. His raw talent got him through.

This NU team has 133total yards 50 minutes in, and they are absolutely in the game. I expected to be mowing the lawn at half time.

GO CATS GO CATS GO

• Haha
Reactions: eddie_gocats
I feel good about the fight we've shown, but there are no moral victories considering this program is going to be a lot worse next year and maybe for a while if recruits don't come back.

Defense looks OK. Game a bit closer than it will end up. They fought hard. Offense looks bad but PSU is really good

Reactions: zeek55
Our team is a manifestation of poor recruiting, a Neanderthal office and poor hires. Anderson has been a huge disappointment and Bajakian has been an underwhelming my hire. Braun has done the best he can with the team he has.

The offense remains pretty incompetent, but we knew that that would be the case in early January when Bajakian and Anderson got to keep their jobs.

Defense can’t do it for 40 minutes.

(This rules analyst sucks. A ‘fake knee’ with 2 minutes left!?!?!)

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
They are the most classless program in the conference. I root for every BIG team in the bowl season except Ped State.
NU did the same to UTEP.

And NU is a proven comeback team — PSU showed respect by not taking the win for granted 🤷🏼‍♂️

NU did the same to UTEP.

And NU is a proven comeback team — PSU showed respect by not taking the win for granted 🤷🏼‍♂️
NU does not late hit on every play. NU does not grab players' legs and twist them after the tackle is over. Ped State is dirty and I hope they get the crap kicked out of them by OSU.

NU did the same to UTEP.

Nope. Run the ball and kill the clock.

Throwing up 21 w two minutes left on 1st and 10 is a dick move. Franklin is trying to obscure that fact the game was closer than it was expected to be.

He sucks.

Reactions: MC_Cat and NUcats92
NU does not late hit on every play. NU does not grab players' legs and twist them after the tackle is over. Ped State is dirty and I hope they get the crap kicked out of them by OSU.
This^^^^^^. Franklin is a classless gutless punk

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
This team is tough and plays hard and is always less-talented but they come to play.

Crowd is small but that allows us to hear the guys’ “hell yeahs” and grunts after they make a play, or put everything into making that third down become a fourth down.

Good for Braun for keeping this together.

Maybe the decommits reconsider. They committed to a losing program that spent a season getting their ass handed to them, but were willing to accept it for the education and the 40 years pitch. This team doesn’t need a monsoon to hang with a top ten Penn State.
They are not “always” less talented. Today, of course but everyone Penn State plays is less talented other than OSU. Michigan doesn’t even have as much talent as PSU. NU will be 3-3 going into the bye week with several winnable games left against teams that they can compete with talent wise.

Great game by an overmatched NU team gutted by years of apathetic, stubborn leadership with no incentive to get better.

Let’s not let PSU’s late touchdown obscure the effort.

NU just doesn’t have the horses on offense, and doesn’t have the staff to coach ‘em up. Still, for the first time since 2020, we’ll have something worth watching in October.

(The PSU quarterback is really falling over himself to compliment Northwestern’s talent and the great atmosphere at NU. Lololol.)

Really a dick call by a major dick coach. No
surprise here. Definitely a fake kneel down and should have been penalized and called back.
I agreed with Butt that the QB was selling a run up the middle.

Certainly, it’s not as if NU, like, stopped defending. They just got beat again on the play.

I agreed with Butt that the QB was selling a run up the middle.

Certainly, it’s not as if NU, like, stopped defending. They just got beat again on the play.
C’mon now.

Even if it was a fake, why the hell would you do that with the game being over. Run the ball, show some respect.

I’ll never understand running fakes, misdirections when the result is certain. The game was clearly over.

It’s certainly poor sportsmanship on Franklin’s part and the increase of this behavior is probably reflective of larger societal issues.

Last edited:
No excuse for that fake kneel down play and clearly scripted by the coaches. So bad that one of the announcers had to provide cover by ridiculously claiming the qb was faking a run. As usual no one wanted to call out Franklin for what he is.

C’mon man.

Even if it was a fake, why the hell would you do that with the game being over. Run the ball, show some respect.

I’ll never understand running fakes, misdirections when the result is certain. It’s poor sportsmanship and probably reflective of larger societal issues.
I just watched the highlight. Both Uihlein and R Fitzgerald *bit hard* on the fake. Potts slithered into the gap and had all sorts of daylight.

Was Franklin trying to rub it in? Maybe. Is it wrong to try to *score more points*? I don’t think so.

In fact, recently, we were applauding that Braun was letting the backup QB throw the ball. That was a freshman’s first career touchdown pass, and he executed perfectly.

Y’all sound like a bunch of wusses when you whine about a late TD. Just stop them.

Reactions: Fitz51 and Frabjous
I just watched the highlight. Both Uihlein and R Fitzgerald *bit hard* on the fake. Potts slithered into the gap and had all sorts of daylight.

Was Franklin trying to rub it in? Maybe. Is it wrong to try to *score more points*? I don’t think so.

In fact, recently, we were applauding that Braun was letting the backup QB throw the ball. That was a freshman’s first career touchdown pass, and he executed perfectly.

Y’all sound like a bunch of wusses when you whine about a late TD. Just stop them.
Cool story. Thanks for the share.

Cool story.
Watch the highlight. NU was playing defense, just very poorly, on the play. Nobody stopped on the ‘fake knee’. They bought the play-action.

It’s a shame that your take on the game is that you’re mad at the other team for trying, rather than happy that your team brought some actual effort.

It fell apart late, but this team has give-a-sh*t that’s been missing.

Watch the highlight. NU was playing defense, just very poorly, on the play. Nobody stopped on the ‘fake knee’. They bought the play-action.

It’s a shame that your take on the game is that you’re mad at the other team for trying, rather than happy that your team brought some actual effort.

It fell apart late, but this team has give-a-sh*t that’s been missing.

👶🍼👶🍼👶🍼👶🍼👶🍼👶🍼
I thought Northwestern played a heck of a game. Enjoyed the effort. Penn State is obviously an excellent football team so the final result isn’t a shock. I was impressed with the performance of defense, in particular. Braun’s competency as a coordinator is showing up on the field. Had no issues with anything that occured until Franklin acted like he always does. Poor and completely avoidable ending to good, hard fought football game. Wasn’t necessary to put words in my mouth. Thanks for that.

But since you feel like attacking for some reason, what’s your deal by the way? Starting threads like “The hazing scandal was good for Northwestern”? Constantly repeating yourself on every thread (RE how terrible a coach Pat Fitzgerald was).

And to be fair, you’re not the only one on the board attacking/name calling these days. But tagging a ton baby bottle emojis to posts you disagree with…that’s something you could do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT