ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern vs. No. 6 Penn State

mshelton33

Jun 16, 2021
Northwestern (2-2, 1-1 Big Ten) hosts No. 6 Penn State (4-0, 2-0 Big Ten) at Ryan Field today at 11 a.m. Kickoff is on schedule for 11 based on the stadium clock, the game will be broadcast on BTN.

The Wildcats come into this game after an overtime win at Ryan Field over Minnesota, the Nittany Lions after a 31-0 dismantling of Iowa in Happy Valley. NU is yet to lose at Ryan Field so far this season with wins over UTEP and Minnesota, that will be put to a major test today. Penn State has won the last two games of the series, though they lead only 3-2 in the last five matchups.

Reactions: drewjin
Black jerseys, purple pants, purple helmets is *the best* NU uniform combo.

This is not up for debate.

Look great, play great. Let’s do it Cats.

Reactions: KnottSlim
The organization and flow of the NU defense is night and day compared to last year. Not the most physically talented and deep bunch, but they play as a cohesive unit.

Reactions: drewjin
Yay… surpassing my expectations after Q1! Hope 8 is ok. O needs to get going.

Bastone will be on scholarship after this game if he isn’t already.

I like when they try to throw. Not sure why they would when their running game is overpowering.

Their safeties are bullrushing our OL. How can that be???!!!!

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I don't see any way the Cats stay stay in this game. Oline is just getting blown up. Defense is holding up better than I would have expected, but they're going to be on the field a long time today and will likely just be ground down.

If I were PSU, I’d just keep running it. I think they are doing us favors by trying to pass so much. Allar has been really off.
The PSU offense picked up as soon as Allar picked up a few completions and PSU ran tempo. I hope they keep running the ball against us but I doubt they will do that.

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I don't see any way the Cats stay stay in this game. Oline is just getting blown up. Defense is holding up better than I would have expected, but they're going to be on the field a long time today and will likely just be ground down.
NU isn’t supposed to stay in this game. It’s the number six team in the country against a team that had won four games the prior two seasons.

This is already a nice performance, and, frankly, it will remain a nice performance even when PSU inevitably beats up NU in the second half.

NU gets the ball to start the third. Maybe just maybe we can shock the world, or at least, Big Ten football observers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT