ADVERTISEMENT

Gameplan for Wisconsin?

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
I've watched a lot of game film on Wisconsin in preparation for this week, and am really interested to see the gameplan they come up with. Conventional wisdom says to run JJ 30 times and try grind out another victory, but conventional wisdom is not going to work here as the counter plays that they like to run will not work against this 3-4 Defense. That being said we have really struggled in pass protection against the Badgers since they transitioned to that 3-4 and if they try to open things up using four verts I would be concerned about sacks and turnovers from CT.

My gameplan on offense would consist of bunch formations with screens, short passes, and wheel routes that force their OLBs to make tackles in space. I'd also try to attack the middle of the defense on the ground with Jackson, Moten, and even Thorson as Wisconsin is banged up at NT.

On defense Chryst is going to try to use the run to open up the pass so expect a heavy dose of play action. I've noticed that their QB Hornibrook has a quick release and is accurate, but also is very limited throwing the football. Wisconsin caught a huge break that the weather is going to be perfect on Saturday as I don't think either of their QBs have the arm strength to cut through the wind on a typical November Saturday in Evanston. So how do we attack them? To be honest its going to be a challenge considering their offensive line is significantly better than last year when we dominated the LOS in Madison. Hankwitz could play a lot of man, and bring a safety up to help in run support, but that will leave the middle of the field open which will lead to a big day of their TE Peavy. Id think Hank would be better served mixing it up a bit by also playing his corners up and leaving 2 safeties in coverage to defend the middle of the field on certain downs and distances. Challenge their QBs to make the tough sideline throws, because I am confident they don't have the arm strength to do it. Wisconsin has also benefitted a lot this season from big plays, and avoiding giving up the big chunk plays by making them work for every point will be key.

Philosophically Fitz needs to get the boys fired up and ready to start fast. You do not want to get behind like we did last week in Columbus. Win the coin toss, receive, and score. Create some doubt in the minds of the opponent and force them to make plays!

Like I said earlier this week. This is the biggest game in the PF era, and a season defining game. Hopefully they can be up to the task.

Fun,interesting read. Think it is going to be a close game.
They seem to run blitz a lot and their OLBs really pursue into the backfield. It seems that slow developing plays they jump on. In my completely non-experienced head I was thinking about double superback formations even on the same side of the field and go right at their OLBs.

Get there early, buy a polish and a Pepsi, watch the band, sing the Alma Mater. Watch the O Line, cheer, pray, curse, begin having suicidal thoughts, have the guy next to me jab me in the ribs after we intercept on our own 40, be reborn, cheer more, breathe deeply to slow my heart rate, hold my breath after we turn the ball over with 1:30 to go, say 'sh*t' five times. Hold my breath some more. Sink into depression again after they complete a 30 yard pass. Close my eyes and begin saying hail Marys, wake up at the buzzer as we hold them at our 40. We win!

Get there early, buy a polish and a Pepsi, watch the band, sing the Alma Mater. Watch the O Line, cheer, pray, curse, begin having suicidal thoughts, have the guy next to me jab me in the ribs after we intercept on our own 40, be reborn, cheer more, breathe deeply to slow my heart rate, hold my breath after we turn the ball over with 1:30 to go, say 'sh*t' five times. Hold my breath some more. Sink into depression again after they complete a 30 yard pass. Close my eyes and begin saying hail Marys, wake up at the buzzer as we hold them at our 40. We win!

And that's just in the first half! Gotta love the Cardiac Cats.

Reactions: nu greek
Philosophically Fitz needs to get the boys fired up and ready to start fast. You do not want to get behind like we did last week in Columbus. Win the coin toss, receive, and score. Create some doubt in the minds of the opponent and force them to make plays!

Fitz doesn't do this. We come out flat but prepared, usually get punched in the nose right away, weather the storm and play within ourselves. Make few mistakes and sometimes over come the early deficit.

Great stuff, St. Paulie. There's not a poster on this board who can't relate to this. :rolleyes:

Reactions: ricko654321
Fitz doesn't do this. We come out flat but prepared, usually get punched in the nose right away, weather the storm and play within ourselves. Make few mistakes and sometimes over come the early deficit.
What, like Indiana two weeks ago?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT