ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Dickerson

It’s ain’t easy being a rookie QB.

There are rookie QBs every year who play well during the pre-season.

In Siemian's first action against the Seahawks - he went 5 for 6 for 90 yds and a QB rating of 118.8.

Thorson went 2 for 9 for 7 yds, an INT and a QB rating of 0.0.

Now, to be fair, Clayton had 2 passes dropped and the INT may not be on him (or at least completely on him, as the intended target may have run the wrong route); but at the same time CT was also under or over-throwing targets (which is what he has been doing all camp) - which is indicative of poor footwork/form.

Eagles fans were already hard on CT before, but now they are crushing him.

W/ Sudfeld likely out for early part of the regular season due to what is likely a fracture on his non-throwing arm, the Eagles may be looking for a vet back-up (despite Pedersen saying to the contrary).

This is what GBN stated after the game performance...

Clayton Thorson

Ooooooh baby he looks as bad as advertised. The fifth-round rookie won’t be asked to do much in his first season, and that’s okay — but man, I have no idea what he offers to this team in 2019. Thank goodness for...Cody Kessler?

This is much nicer than what the fans are saying.

Good for GD!

Before this, the most talk about GD was that he was the intended target of Daniel Jones' 1st INT during camp.

In Siemian's first action against the Seahawks - he went 5 for 6 for 90 yds and a QB rating of 118.8.

Now, to be fair, Clayton had 2 passes dropped and the INT may not be on him (or at least completely on him, as the intended target may have run the wrong route); but at the same time CT was also under or over-throwing targets (which is what he has been doing all camp) - which is indicative of poor footwork/form.

W/ Sudfeld likely out for early part of the regular season due to what is likely a fracture on his non-throwing arm, the Eagles may be looking for a vet back-up (despite Pedersen saying to the contrary).

Is it a habit if you’re to try to crap on NU QBs, current and former?

Kessler was absolutely atrocious as well, tho.

Is it a habit if you’re to try to crap on NU QBs, current and former?

Thought we had already settled this?

Again, since when is giving a realistic/objective take crapping?

Never stated that CT sucked (or worse, like what Giants fans have been doing), but stated things that he needs to work on or stated his actual performance on the field.

At least I wait to withhold judgement until seeing how the players perform on the field, unlike you - who summarily dismisses players (of which you have done plenty) from ever having a chance at being a starter (or back-up) before they ever see the field, or even practice.

Like what you did w/ TJ Green where you have him NO chance (after he decided to walk-on) of possibly working his way up to being CT's back-up.

Now, that's actually crapping on a player.

Unlike you, I stated at the time that wouldn't be surprised if he was a dark-horse to win the back-up job.

And gee, I wonder who has been more correct about NU QBs?

1. Was one of the few here who thought TS had a future in the NFL (just needed a chance/get his foot in the door).

2. Thought that CT was pretty raw coming out of HS and that he needed a good bit of development; and that wasn't quite ready to compete for the job backing up Wentz (actually got a good amount of push-back about that from certain posters).

3. And then there's TJ Green.

Stating things realistically is hardly crapping on a player.

You actually think CT played well in the pre-season game and that he was having a good camp?

And I don't play favorites (unlike some).

When Siemian started to really struggle in 2017 w/ Denver, stated that he needed to be benched and during this camp w/ the Jets, stated that he needed to have more days like when he passed for 3 TDs.

And if you didn't notice, I had stated this about CT in my earlier post.

In fact, I had stated that CT has a chance to be a better NFL QB than TS (has the greater physical talent), but that he needs to catch up in the more cerebral parts (which more difficult to gauge) of the game (yeah, that's really crapping on CT).

This is Chasmo's post on CT on Inside NU.

This isn’t surprising; accuracy was never his forte

Clayton Thorson has all the physical tools to be a NFL quarterback — height, size, strong arm — but even at NU he overthrew and under threw receivers, threw into coverage, and made bad decisions.

I’ve been watching last season’s games to get ready for the 2019 campaign —- I know, I should get a life — but if you watch those games you see Thorson under throwing and over throwing long passes to open receivers downfield more than you see him throw on target. Passes that should have been touchdowns were not as receivers had to wait for the ball. He often threw behind receivers on crossing patterns even when not under pressure and threw into double coverage a lot. His receivers often made his stat line look good by making some great catches.

At times last season, Thorson got in a groove and looked great. When he was on his game, he looked just like a future pro quarterback should look and it’s easy to see why he was drafted.

Thorson wasn’t much of a passer as a redshirt first year four years ago but he improved over the years and holds a lot of NU passing records. He has a lot of talent. Will the Eagles give him time to develop? That remains to be seen. I, for one, am not optimistic.

Is this Chasmo crapping on CT or giving an honest and objective analysis/take?

Instead of maligning posters who disagree w/ you, maybe you should do some self-anlaysis and wonder why you have turned off so many posters here w/ your snarky comments.

Have disagreed w/ numerous posters here (such as Glades and E-Cat) on various issues, but despite our differing opinions/takes, have kept things civil and the snark level to a minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat In The Cradle
Thought we had already settled this?

Again, since when is giving a realistic/objective take crapping?

Never stated that CT sucked (or worse, like what Giants fans have been doing), but stated things that he needs to work on or stated his actual performance on the field.

At least I wait to withhold judgement until seeing how the players perform on the field, unlike you - who summarily dismisses players (of which you have done plenty) from ever having a chance at being a starter (or back-up) before they ever see the field, or even practice.

Like what you did w/ TJ Green where you have him NO chance (after he decided to walk-on) of possibly working his way up to being CT's back-up.

Now, that's actually crapping on a player.

Unlike you, I stated at the time that wouldn't be surprised if he was a dark-horse to win the back-up job.

And gee, I wonder who has been more correct about NU QBs?

1. Was one of the few here who thought TS had a future in the NFL (just needed a chance/get his foot in the door).

2. Thought that CT was pretty raw coming out of HS and that he needed a good bit of development; and that wasn't quite ready to compete for the job backing up Wentz (actually got a good amount of push-back about that from certain posters).

3. And then there's TJ Green.

Stating things realistically is hardly crapping on a player.

You actually think CT played well in the pre-season game and that he was having a good camp?

And I don't play favorites (unlike some).

When Siemian started to really struggle in 2017 w/ Denver, stated that he needed to be benched and during this camp w/ the Jets, stated that he needed to have more days like when he passed for 3 TDs.

And if you didn't notice, I had stated this about CT in my earlier post.

In fact, I had stated that CT has a chance to be a better NFL QB than TS (has the greater physical talent), but that he needs to catch up in the more cerebral parts (which more difficult to gauge) of the game (yeah, that's really crapping on CT).

This is Chasmo's post on CT on Inside NU.

Is this Chasmo crapping on CT or giving an honest and objective analysis?

On TJ, Turk has poisoned your brain. I felt then (and still feel now) that his taking of the backup spot over scholarship guys with better skills is more a referendum on the other guys than TJ.

I was pushing TS and CT as NFL guys for a long time, so you don’t get to claim a W there.

There you go again w/ the snarky comments.

And that's a convenient/revisionist change in take.

At the time TJ decide to walk on, you had no idea about how the other QBs would fare (including those yet to commit to NU), some of whom you were fairly high on.

But hey, maybe it's a reflection on McCall's ability to develop QBs.

Last edited:
There you go again w/ the snarky comments.

And that's a convenient/revisionist change in take.

At the time TJ decide to walk on, you had no idea about how the other QBs would fare (including those yet to commit to NU), some of whom you were fairly high on.

But hey, maybe it's a reflection on McCall's ability to develop QBs.

McCall’s QB development is pretty damn good.

And not revisionist at all. Turk is just a liar.

So instead of a thread about Gdick, this is a thread that devolved into a couple of posters saying to one another: "Gee, Dick!"

McCall’s QB development is pretty damn good.

And not revisionist at all. Turk is just a liar.

Didn't we also cover this as well?

A certain someone (Baz) is credited by both Kafka and Persa for helping them improve not only their mechanics and footwork, but the mental aspects of the position

There was a failure to develop an adequate back-up to Siemian, forcing him to continue playing w/ badly sprained ankle and when he tore his ACL, that pretty much ended the chances of getting to 6 wins and becoming bowl-eligible (on top of that, he misused Trevor during his time in purple, not taking advantage of his full talents til the end of his NU career).

Same thing w/ regard to a back-up for CT after Matt graduated.

You, yourself, stated this...

I felt then (and still feel now) that his taking of the backup spot over scholarship guys with better skills is more a referendum on the other guys than TJ.

Gee, I wonder who is responsible for developing the other guys?

It's not a coincidence that the best passing QBs (Bacher, Siemian, Persa and Kafka in his last year) were either pretty polished passing QBs coming out of HS, or got coached up by Baz.

As for TJ, he's been getting coached up by his dad for most of his life.

Last edited:
Didn't we also cover this as well?

A certain someone (Baz) is credited by both Kafka and Persa for helping them improve not only their mechanics and footwork, but the mental aspects of the position

There was a failure to develop an adequate back-up to Siemian, forcing him to continue playing w/ badly sprained ankle and when he tore his ACL, that pretty much ended the chances of getting to 6 wins and becoming bowl-eligible (on top of that, he misused Trevor during his time in purple, not taking advantage of his full talents til the end of his NU career).

Same thing w/ regard to a back-up for CT after Matt graduated.

You, yourself, stated this...

Gee, I wonder who is responsible for developing the other guys?

It's not a coincidence that the best passing QBs (Bacher, Siemian, Persa and Kafka in his last year) were either pretty polished passing QBs coming out of HS, or got coached up by Baz.

As for TJ, he's been getting coached up by his dad for most of his life.

And you wonder why it seems like you go out of your way to crap on NU QBs?

Persa was NOT polished out of high school and threw some of the worst balls I’ve seen at NU in his first couple years. Kafka played QB full-time a grand total of one season in high school. Siemian always threw a very nice ball and was much better on tape than on the stat line, that’s the whole reason Kubiak picked him in the first place. Bacher only spent a single season under McCall, he’s more in Wilson’s ledger anyway.

You really think a handful of sessions with Baz were more valuable than 4-5 years with McCall, who has put more than his fair share of QBs in the NFL (Josh Harris, Omar Jacobs, Mike Kafka, Trevor Siemian, and Clayton Thorson, with Dan Persa also likely getting a shot without his shredded (then re-shredded) Achilles)?

McCall’s track record as a QB developer is difficult to argue against and a different topic than his play calling, which often seems somewhat lacking.

And you wonder why it seems like you go out of your way to crap on NU QBs?

Only for you is legitimate criticism - crapping.

Which, btw, you have done plenty of, in addition to summarily writing off players before they had even hit the field in real game situations, much less practice.

(And yeah, just ignore all the times when I have praised the players, QBs included).

So, according to you, no one here can ever criticize players (stating what things they don't do well, areas they need to improve/work on, etc.), except for, hmmm - you.

Persa was NOT polished out of high school and threw some of the worst balls I’ve seen at NU in his first couple years. Kafka played QB full-time a grand total of one season in high school.

Not like you're informing me of anything didn't already know.

Otoh, your reading comprehension could use some improvement.

This is what I stated...

Gee, I wonder which QBs the last part was in reference to (hint - neither Bacher nor Siemian were at those sessions run by Baz)?

Siemian always threw a very nice ball and was much better on tape than on the stat line, that’s the whole reason Kubiak picked him in the first place. Bacher only spent a single season under McCall, he’s more in Wilson’s ledger anyway.

Siemian threw a nice ball coming into the program and the whole tape being better than the stat line had a lot to due w/ the talent around him, as well as McCall not making the best use of all his talents (the same can also be said of Thorson - McCall not making use of all of Thorson's talents).

As for what you stated about Bacher, that just confirms what I stated.

You really think a handful of sessions with Baz were more valuable than 4-5 years with McCall, who has put more than his fair share of QBs in the NFL (Josh Harris, Omar Jacobs, Mike Kafka, Trevor Siemian, and Clayton Thorson, with Dan Persa also likely getting a shot without his shredded (then re-shredded) Achilles)?

Yeah, I do (don't know about Harris or Jacobs, so not including them).

TS would have been drafted (likely higher) if he had played w/ an OC that didn't wait 'til his collegiate career was almost over before finally allowing him to extend (passing) plays w/ his legs.

TS has enough physical talent, but more importantly the mental acuity to get noticed by the NFL whether it was at NU or somewhere else.

I've posted this before, but guess need to post this again...

They'd work on the field for two hours, then spend another hour watching film. Basanez's biggest task, particularly with the Kafkas? Getting rid of their baseball tendencies.

Both are terrific baseball players with big-league arms, but those qualities don't necessarily translate to football. Quarterbacks aren't supposed to fling their bodies toward a target the way a pitcher or an outfielder might.

"Mike is - was - a very mechanical, deliberate thrower," Basanez said. "He went to St. Rita. He didn't throw the ball very much. It was play-action. He played baseball. It was, 'Hey, let's hum this thing 20 yards, 90 yards.'

"I just wanted him to be tight as if you're (standing) in a phone booth, but stay loose with your mechanics. Don't flex all your muscles trying to hum this ball 1,000 miles an hour. Keep your front elbow tight, don't overstride and literally try to play every snap like you're in a phone booth."

Basanez's Frankenstein has become, well, a monster - and the villagers have heard the word. Of the 20 senior quarterbacks nominated for the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award, Kafka has the fewest career passing yards (835).

Kafka (as well as Persa) not only looks like he's utilizing less effort when he throws, his spirals appear to have more velocity and they stay straight as a string.

"It takes the margin of error out of their throws," NU offensive coordinator Mick McCall said. "The other thing it does, it gets the ball out a lot quicker."

Funny - despite all those years under McCall, it took Baz to correct Kafka's (as well as Persa's) flawed mechanics.

And can't get past the fact that McCall acknowledged the improvement.

"It was like night and day," Basanez said. "Just the progression they made was so fast, it was just refreshing to see guys like that who are so coachable and so smart, they could take what you tell them and then a couple days later implement that into their game."

"I can't thank him enough," Kafka said.

http://prev.dailyherald.com/story/?id=317438

And not coincidentally, Thorson needs to work on his footwork (something Baz has also stated - oh no! Baz is crapping on NU QBs!) and mechanics (reasons why he would miss as many open receivers as he has done while both at NU and during the Eagles camp).

Baz not only helped Persa's mechanics the 1st summer, after Kafka departed, Persa still met up w/ Baz, who helped him w/ the other aspects of the position (something Mike also attributed to Baz).

Are you meeting with Baz (former 'Cat quarterback Brett Basanez) like Mike did a year ago?

"We get together once-a-week. He's a great resource. He's like another coach for us. He helps me with my fundamentals. He expects a lot out of us, which is good ... He talks about preparing mentally and physically all the time. I always ask him, 'What did you do? What are some of the things I can do better?' He watches us go through workouts and gives us feedback, which is always good."

What kind of feedback?

"I think I've heard everything. But the different stresses that he's putting on watching film and getting with the guys and interacting with the guys and making sure the receivers and the running backs and offensive line are watching film with you. I knew that helped. But he's stressing the importance of just knowing what everyone else is thinking in every situation."

Is this something you didn't do before?

"It's not like I didn't concentrate on the mental before. I'm just putting a lot more stress on it than I did. I realized I had to take it to another level, another level of understanding, another level of knowing what the coaches expect by what play they called, not just running the play blind."

Why now?

"Just the experience from last season when I got a chance to play. I kind of, I would rely on my legs a little more than I should have. And I think, especially going into the Iowa game after (taking over for the injured Kafka in) the Penn State game, I was prepared (for Penn State), but I wasn't as prepared as I was for the Iowa game. I studied a lot more for the Iowa game and I think that definitely helped. I could see how my performance was better, I thought, in the Iowa game than it was in the Penn State game. That gave me empirical evidence that knowing your opponent and everything that can possibly happen can affect the game a lot more than you think.

https://nusports.com/news/2010/3/17/Ultra_Competitive_Quarterback_Dan_Persa_Ready_to_Lead_Cats.aspx

McCall’s track record as a QB developer is difficult to argue against and a different topic than his play calling, which often seems somewhat lacking.

And yet, McCall could never develop a decent back-up QB to fill in for TS (which is why Trevor was put at risk - playing an entire game basically immobile after having suffered a high ankle sprain the week before) and after leap-frogging to CT, a back-up (aside from maybe Alviti), much less a successor to Thorson.

Seem to recall you ruing the fact that Green (out of all the QBs) ended up being the back-up.

Last edited:
Only for you is legitimate criticism - crapping.

Which, btw, you have done plenty of, in addition to summarily writing off players before they had even hit the field in real game situations, much less practice.

(And yeah, just ignore all the times when I have praised the players, QBs included).

So, according to you, no one here can ever criticize players (stating what things they don't do well, areas they need to improve/work on, etc.), except for, hmmm - you.

Not like you're informing me of anything didn't already know.

Otoh, your reading comprehension could use some improvement.

This is what I stated...

Gee, I wonder which QBs the last part was in reference to (hint - neither Bacher nor Siemian were at those sessions run by Baz)?

Siemian tbrew a nice ball coming into the program and the whole tape being better than the stat line had a lot to due w/ the talent around him, as well as McCall not making the best use of all his talents (the same can also be said of Thorson - McCall not making use of all of Thorson's talents).

As for what you stated about Bacher, that just confirms what I stated.

Using BOLD and ITALICS doesn’t make your crappy arguments any better.

Reactions: NJCat
Using BOLD and ITALICS doesn’t make your crappy arguments any better.

That was for your benefit, since you are lacking in reading comprehension.

Funny how you can't/didn't rebut any of those crappy arguments.

(Nevermind the fact that much if it came straight from the mouths of Kafka and Persa w/ MCall even acknowledging the improvement in mechanics.)

Let's just take one.

Why it did it take Baz to have to correct the flaws in Kafka's (nevermind Persa) mechanics?

Kafka already had FOUR years w/ McCall.

Shouldn't that have been noticed and corrected (years) earlier?

Would Kafka had made it to the NFL w/o Baz's coaching and guidance?

Don't think so.

Is it merely a coincidence that CT needs to work on his footwork and mechanics?

Btwn Daniel Jones and Thorson - who has the better footwork and mechanics?

One was a highly recruited 4*, the other was headed to the Ivy League until his HS coach appealed to Cutcliffe.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvanstonCat
That was for your benefit, since you are lacking in reading comprehension.

Funny how you can't/didn't rebut any of those crappy arguments.

(Nevermind the fact that much if it came straight from the mouths of Kafka and Persa w/ MCall even acknowledging the improvement in mechanics.)

Let's just take one.

Why it did it take Baz to have to correct the flaws in Kafka's (nevermind Persa) mechanics?

Kafka already had FOUR years w/ McCall.

Shouldn't that have been noticed and corrected (years) earlier?

Would Kafka had made it to the NFL w/o Baz's coaching and guidance?

Don't think so.

Is it merely a coincidence that CT needs to work on his footwork and mechanics?

Btwn Daniel Jones and Thorson - who has the better footwork and mechanics?

One was a highly recruited 4*, the other was headed to the Ivy League until his HS coach appealed to Cutcliffe.

You’re spinning your wheels.

You’re spinning your wheels.

So 2 articles which are about Kafka's and Persa's, respectively, leap in development just only happen to focus/emphasize the impact w/ working w/ Baz for no real reason.

Even ESPN took note of it to write articles...

Kafka gets passing tips from former NU star
"We were working out with an NFL quarterback," Kafka said. "You can't beat that."

Basanez critiqued Kafka's passing mechanics and footwork, but his most valuable advice had to do with the mental aspect of playing the position.

Northwestern's Dan Persa right on target
Persa is only two games into his stint as Northwestern's full-time starter and entered the year with only 34 career pass attempts (20 completions). His fast start is linked to his ability to maximize the offseason, whether it was earning team awards for his weight-room prowess, working with former Northwestern quarterback Brett Basanez on his skills or leading voluntary workouts with his receivers.

Kafka would later go on to work as an instructor at Baz's prep quarterback development camps in Minnesota.

Joe Mauro
Evan Watkins
Kain Colter (never developed into a full-time QB)
Zach Oliver
Matt Alviti?
Lloyd Yates
Aidan Smith
Andrew Marty

W/ the exception of KC and possibly Alviti, none of the other guys developed into a viable back-up, much less a starter.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Kafka would later go on to work as an instructor at Baz's prep quarterback development camps in Minnesota.

Joe Mauro
Evan Watkins
Zach Oliver
Matt Alviti?
Lloyd Yates
Aidan Smith
Andrew Marty

W/ the exception of KC and possibly Alviti, none of the other guys developed into a viable back-up, much less a starter.[/QUOTE]

Could be wrong but I'd guess this is the case for the vast majority of schools.

Reactions: Gladeskat and DaCat
So 2 articles which are about Kafka's and Persa's, respectively, leap in development just only happen to focus/emphasize the impact w/ working w/ Baz for no real reason.

Even ESPN took note of it to write articles...

Kafka would later go on to work as an instructor at Baz's prep quarterback development camps in Minnesota.

Joe Mauro
Evan Watkins
Zach Oliver
Matt Alviti?
Lloyd Yates
Aidan Smith
Andrew Marty

W/ the exception of KC and possibly Alviti, none of the other guys developed into a viable back-up, much less a starter.

You are still trying to convince me that a handful of offseason sessions with Baz (when McCall isn’t able to work with his guys directly anyway) is more responsible for Kafka and Persa than thousands upon thousands of reps with McCall.

Not logical.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
You are still trying to convince me that a handful of offseason sessions with Baz (when McCall isn’t able to work with his guys directly anyway) is more responsible for Kafka and Persa than thousands upon thousands of reps with McCall.

Not logical.
No one convinces anyone of anything on a message board. Opinions seem to be set in stone.

Joe Mauro
Evan Watkins
Zach Oliver
Matt Alviti?
Lloyd Yates
Aidan Smith
Andrew Marty

Only 1 guy can play. Most college rosters have 3-4 QB's on scholarship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT